[MERGED] MICHAEL JACKSON & PRINCE : Friends or Foes? (The Historic Rivalry)

2a8nkwm.jpg

No mention of the Jackson 5 even though he covered a lot of their songs when he was coming up and no mention of MJ all though he has admitted that he pushed him harder and he has been covering MJ/J5 a few times since 2003. Yet still gwen stefani, Alicia Keyes and freakin Sheryl crow gets acknowledged lol. Yeah right... Maybe he's just strictly meant the people that he collaborated with

^ Maybe it was a vanity issue to Prince to "officially" acknowledge MJ as an inspiration. Since they were considered "rivals" etc.

^ Maybe it was a vanity issue to Prince to "officially" acknowledge MJ as an inspiration. Since they were considered "rivals" etc.

He shouldn't have been ashamed to do to so.
Almost every other successful artist and entertainer that came after MJ is/was inspired and influenced by him including Prince.
Prince himself covered MJ and jackson 5 songs, so he obviously admired and looked up to MJ even if he didn't admit it.

That's so silly. The eigthes were over. That's funny, when talking about Michael prince never gets mentioned but when it's the other way around immediately Michael & their "rivarly" gets mentioned.

I love prince, i really do, always have always will, but people are re-writing history after prince's passing

Themidwestcowboy;4152233 said:
That's so silly. The eigthes were over. That's funny, when talking about Michael prince never gets mentioned but when it's the other way around immediately Michael & their "rivarly" gets mentioned.

I love prince, i really do, always have always will, but people are re-writing history after prince's passing

Not sure who rewrited what, I simply posted an opinion introducing it with a "maybe". Just speculating. Of course his reasons might have been different, maybe he really didn't feel inspired by MJ in any way, but then when you see names there like Sheryl Crow or Alicia Keys, I am sure that MJ actually had more influence on Prince than those people. LOL. There are several people who mentioned at least some sort of influence that MJ had on Prince. That story about him watching old J5 footage or when Alan Leeds said this:

I don’t think there’s any doubt that Prince saw Michael as a symbol of where he wanted to go in terms [of notoriety]. Michael was one of the few artists on the planet that Prince did respect in that sense.

http://www.vibe.com/2011/06/michael-jackson-vs-prince-oral-history/

But then, like you said he worked with Sheryl Crow and Alicia Keys which may explain their mention. More as a friendly gesture than them being a real influence on Prince.

Not sure who rewrited what, I simply posted an opinion introducing it with a "maybe". Just speculating. Of course his reasons might have been different, maybe he really didn't feel inspired by MJ in any way, but then when you see names there like Sheryl Crow or Alicia Keys, I am sure that MJ actually had more influence on Prince than those people. LOL. There are several people who mentioned at least some sort of influence that MJ had on Prince. That story about him watching old J5 footage or when Alan Leeds said this:

http://www.vibe.com/2011/06/michael-jackson-vs-prince-oral-history/

But then, like you said he worked with Sheryl Crow and Alicia Keys which may explain their mention. More as a friendly gesture than them being a real influence on Prince.

No respect I wasn't talking about you. What I meant by that is that I'm noticing a pattern here, from prince fans and some people in general, after his passing they're claiming that he was more influential than Michael, that he had won more awards, that he was more talented. Some artists said that prince is one of the major reasons that a lot of the artist today are who they are and I'm like here thinking are they talking about the right guy now? It's pretty ironic cause the same people making that claim are the ones who try to dance like MJ, replicate MJ's sound, choreographies and short movies. I'm not saying Prince wasn't influential because that he was but not on the same level as MJ. Anyone saying otherwise is re-writing history

^ Yes, I agree but I think it has to do with the fact Prince recently died so people go out of their way to declare him the best thing since sliced bread that no one can touch. And those who are Prince fans are of course going to be biased for Prince, anyway which is understanable. I have even seen some Prince fans state he was a better dancer than MJ. I guess some confuse splits with dancing. LOL.

Last edited:
Honestly I love both Prince and Michael dearly and always have..I don't really compare them because to me they are two totally different artists. The Prince vs Michael debate is so old and irritating I feel it's only brought up again because he recently passed. Yeah, they were competitive, mostly I would say because they are the same age and both very popular black artists. Their styles and music are just so different I can't imagine personally comparing them. Neither Michael nor Prince ever encouraged the rivalry in interviews to my knowledge...but correct me if i'm wrong.

No respect I wasn't talking about you. What I meant by that is that I'm noticing a pattern here, from prince fans and some people in general, after his passing they're claiming that he was more influential than Michael, that he had won more awards, that he was more talented. Some artists said that prince is one of the major reasons that a lot of the artist today are who they are and I'm like here thinking are they talking about the right guy now? It's pretty ironic cause the same people making that claim are the ones who try to dance like MJ, replicate MJ's sound, choreographies and short movies. I'm not saying Prince wasn't influential because that he was but not on the same level as MJ. Anyone saying otherwise is re-writing history

You told no lies.

People say things like that because they're MJ haters, and artist's only said those things because prince had just passed away.
MJ also has VERY few loyal celeb fans anyway.
They'll jack his style then toss him under the bus and deny his influence once they've gained fame by copying him, but in the end everyone knows who's truly being emulated, and who's the standard.
Prince himself is measured up against MJ the same way every other artist is.
Just look at the way 50% of the media coverage about Prince's death was about Michael in some way shape or form.
When Michael died no one else was brought up in the same way or as frequently as MJ was brought up after Prince died.

Tbh if you ask me it was somewhat disrespectful to Prince.
Just think about it.
Prince has JUST died but the only thing that a lot of people could think about doing was using his death to validate his worth as an artist in comparison to MJ, which in turn shows that they were insecure about Prince's talent and status in the first place.
Some people are just #teampetty4life when it comes to MJ because they hate that their fave isn't on his level.
I don't think that their's an artist in existence that hasn't been compared to MJ, and I also don't think that there's a fan base in existence that hasn't attacked MJ and his GOAT status.

Last edited:
^ Why is everything a competition with you? Some people prefer other artists. Big deal.

You sound like a ten year old, with your incessant talk of GOAT and King Michael. It's pathetic and turns people off posting here.

This macabre competition of which deal celeb is best is weird and sick.

^ Why is everything a competition with you? Some people prefer other artists. Big deal.

You sound like a ten year old, with your incessant talk of GOAT and King Michael. It's pathetic and turns people off posting here.

Well someone is salty.

It's pathetic that my opinion has you seething right now.
You aren't staff or a mod, so I can say what I want and you'll deal.

If MJ praise turns off someone from an MJ FAN FORUM then maybe they shouldn't be here in the first place, and if you haven't noticed this is an MJ fan forum, so if you get tired of seeing me or anyone else say MJ is the GOAT or a King then I suggest you log out.

Also, I have no problem with people preferring other artist, but what I DO have a problem with is people using other artists to tear MJ down.

Last edited:
Honestly I love both Prince and Michael dearly and always have..I don't really compare them because to me they are two totally different artists. The Prince vs Michael debate is so old and irritating I feel it's only brought up again because he recently passed. Yeah, they were competitive, mostly I would say because they are the same age and both very popular black artists. Their styles and music are just so different I can't imagine personally comparing them. Neither Michael nor Prince ever encouraged the rivalry in interviews to my knowledge...but correct me if i'm wrong.
No, they didn't encourage the rivalry at all-that was just all started by fan magazines that moved on to tabloids and mainstream press and the most Michael ever did was JOKE about it in Moonwalker-which was really, really funny. (Bubbles wearing a Prince shirt).

Also, I have no problem with people preferring other artist, but what I DO have a problem with is people using other artists to tear MJ down.
THAT makes sense-and I dislike that extremely. Both are so gifted and exceptional-and I don't understand these "real" fights that turn really ugly on sites like YouTube, etc.

There's no doubt that they were competitive-and I have no doubt that Prince watched the Jacksons growing up and was influenced by them and wanted to get to the level they were. And knew he could do it. And I have no doubt that Michael was always looking over his shoulder to see who was coming up behind him-he would have been stupid not to-he wasn't one to rest on his laurels and always wanted to be on top-that competitiveness was good for them and they just kept raising the bar higher and higher.

Of course, I prefer one over the other, but that doesn't mean I will tear one down-just to make my guy look better-He doesn't need any lying or exaggerating on my part to look better.

Well someone is salty.

It's pathetic that my opinion has you seething right now.
You aren't staff or a mod, so I can say what I want and you'll deal.

Shade%20bitch_zpsdyzbrd68.jpg

If MJ praise turns off someone from an MJ FAN FORUM then maybe they shouldn't be here in the first place, and if you haven't noticed this is an MJ fan forum, so if you get tired of seeing me or anyone else say MJ is the GOAT or a King then I suggest you log out.

Preach%20it%20baby_zpsl4xiybuk.jpg

:hysterical: :lmao: :lol: LMFAO! Salt mines salty! The first half of your post I bolded was well worth the return trip back into this site.

Well Prince IS, along with Michael, a major reason why music and music production is where it is. They both redefined what a pop star looked and sounded. Prince is influential in the sound of r&b and dance and how it was produced. Check out anything Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis produced from 1982-1993, or LA Reid and Babyface and even Teddy Riley and the whole New Jack Swing sound was heavily influenced by Prince and the Minneapolis Sound.

His influence is HUGE but for for awhile understated, so its not people rewriting history, its the industry finally giving him his due

Neither Michael nor Prince ever encouraged the rivalry in interviews to my knowledge...but correct me if i'm wrong.

They did play on it a little. MJ mentioned Prince in Moonwalker (Bubbles wearing a Prince t-shirt) and Prince referred to MJ in song lyrics.

I don't care what they say
"He don't play the hits no more
Plus I thought he was gay"
But it ain 't nothing if it ain 't fun
My voice is getting higher
And I ain 't never had my nose done
That's the other guy

Prince - Life O The Party

It's not a clear reference but I always felt some lyrics in My Name is Prince have to do with MJ as well. LOL. Eg.

My name is Prince, I don't wanna be king
Cuz I've seen the top and it's just a dream
Big cars and women and fancy clothes
Will save your face but it won't save your soul
I'm here to tell you that there's a better way
Would our Lord be happy if He came 2 day?
I ain't sayin' I'm better, no better than u (he does an MJ-like "whoo" here - not sure if deliberate or a coincidence)
But if u want 2 play with me, u better learn the rules

and

There must be more coming from
Your mouth than manure.
So with a flow and a spray, I say hey
U must become a prince before u're king anyway

I was talking to a friend about those lyrics in My Name Is Prince and the possibilities that those lyrics weren't about Michael but Elvis instead. and about Life o' The Party, he brought it up on Tom Joyner's show. He said "I know what people are saying but those lyrics aren't about my boy Michael". Tom then tried to get Prince to comment on MJ's legal issues (this is when MJ was indicted in 04) but Prince wouldn't take the bait

I was talking to a friend about those lyrics in My Name Is Prince and the possibilities that those lyrics weren't about Michael but Elvis instead. and about Life o' The Party, he brought it up on Tom Joyner's show. He said "I know what people are saying but those lyrics aren't about my boy Michael". Tom then tried to get Prince to comment on MJ's legal issues (this is when MJ was indicted in 04) but Prince wouldn't take the bait

I know some (Prince) fans are trying to play down that line in Life O The Party is about MJ. I have seen all kind of acrobatics to interpret in some sort of "spiritual" way - eg. that it's a reference to his older self somehow or something, but in a radio interview I have heard with Prince it was Prince himself who brought up MJ regarding that song. He said along the lines (and he wasn't even asked about MJ) "I am not picking on Michael or anything, I am simply saying I never had a nose job." So obviously it's not just fans that want to interpret MJ into it if Prince himself brings him up while talking about that song.
(And I am not sure he really never had a nose job, but that's another subject.)

I don't think My Name Is Prince is about Elvis. Maybe it is not about MJ either, but Elvis seems even more far fetched to me.
I think they both were aware of the "rivalry", "King vs. Prince" thing and did play into that a little from time to time in subtle ways. And I think that's OK too. It's not that serious.

Last edited:
I've seen fans actually glad to think that line was about Michael lol

He brought it up in the interview because it HAD been said when the album came out, that the nose job line was about MJ. I remember articles from 2004 talking about the supposed jab

Another interesting thing, I'm sure its been brought up, but Tavis Smiley, after Prince passed, talked about the week Michael passed, Prince called Tavis and they spent hours (well Prince talked and Tavis listened) about it and it really impacted Prince

There was this beautiful article some weeks back that said Michael was in heaven and needed his musical brother back home because no one else complimented him more. It made me a bit emotional

We'll never seen the likes of those two again

I've seen fans actually glad to think that line was about Michael lol

He brought it up in the interview because it HAD been said when the album came out, that the nose job line was about MJ. I remember articles from 2004 talking about the supposed jab

I don't think fans have to be "glad to think" anything. The line is there. Prince wrote it. It must have been very clear to him when he wrote it who people would associate that line with. There is no one else to whom Prince has been constantly compared to and who famously had nose jobs. And in the interview that I heard Prince didn't really deny it was about MJ. He just said "I am not picking on Michael or anything, I am simply saying I never had a nose job." and he laughed while saying it. From that line it takes more mental gymnastics not to think of MJ than to think of him, so I don't think it's an issue of fans being glad of anything.

It's no big deal to me. A pit petty, yes, but that doesn't undermine to me that IMO they generally had respect for each other as artists. Sometimes they took jabs at each other because at the same time they were aware of the "rivalry" that the media made of it and even played into it a little. I think to call it a friendship is a bit of an exaggeration though, but I think they did respect each other regardless of a little jab here or there.

Last edited:
Well Prince IS, along with Michael, a major reason why music and music production is where it is. They both redefined what a pop star looked and sounded. Prince is influential in the sound of r&b and dance and how it was produced. Check out anything Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis produced from 1982-1993, or LA Reid and Babyface and even Teddy Riley and the whole New Jack Swing sound was heavily influenced by Prince and the Minneapolis Sound.

His influence is HUGE but for for awhile understated, so its not people rewriting history, its the industry finally giving him his due

So they're not rewiting history when they claim that Prince was/is more influential than MJ, and was the better dancer and won more awards?

So they're not rewiting history when they claim that Prince was/is more influential than MJ, and was the better dancer and won more awards?

You have to take that kind of mess with a grain of salt.
People will argue that ANY other artist or entertainer in existence is better then MJ, but that doesn't make it the truth.
Just go on twitter and type in Michael Jackson.
I'm sure some of the first results that pop up will be someone comparing their fave to MJ, or saying that their fave is better then him.
Remember when Rolling stone said that Justin Timberlake was the new King of Pop (as if he's anywhere near MJ's level LOL).
The media has being trying to rewrite HIStory for years when it comes to MJ.
While it has happened more frequently after Prince's death, people have been trying to take away MJ's impact and accomplishments for years, and it's not going to stop anytime soon. :/

I see most of these "fights" on YouTube where people battle it out-reminds me of the 80's-or it really reminds me of when I was a little kid and I heard who was better-the nice guy Beatles or the bad boy Stones stuff.

I have run across 3 or 4 "real" published articles where they are trying to rewrite History and claim this stuff about Prince-and trounce Michael in the process-most of them have NOT. I attribute those articles to people who were kids or teenagers in the 80's and never got past the schoolyard stuff.

Last edited:
Did anyone else feel like the interview Will.i.am did with Ellen about the time he took Michael to see Prince was a little...overdone? Like he definitely played up Michael's character for comedy's sake...I cannot imagine Michael actually calling Prince as a "big meanie." ?_?

Did anyone else feel like the interview Will.i.am did with Ellen about the time he took Michael to see Prince was a little...overdone? Like he definitely played up Michael's character for comedy's sake...I cannot imagine Michael actually calling Prince as a "big meanie." ?_?
Definitely. You can really tell when somebody is playing up their story for big laughs.

THAT makes sense-and I dislike that extremely. Both are so gifted and exceptional-and I don't understand these "real" fights that turn really ugly on sites like YouTube, etc.

Of course, I prefer one over the other, but that doesn't mean I will tear one down-just to make my guy look better-He doesn't need any lying or exaggerating on my part to look better.

^^^^
Exactly!

But somehow MJ ALWAYS gets dragged into it, and this goes for ANY fan base.
Michael's name will come up and then people will act like a pack of wolves.

It's as if people simply CANNOT appreciate and discuss their own fave without it turning into Lets Bash Michael 2: Electric Boogaloo.

IMO it just makes THEM look insecure about their fave because if their fave was truly as good as they thought then they wouldn't tear down other artist to uplift them.

Last edited:

I agree. In fact when he first told that story to VIBE magazine in 2011 he never claimed MJ called Prince a "meanie". It's a later invention and probably made-up. Unfortunately since I have seen it be referenced as a true story several times.

Back