Michael: Album Reviews

Re: Michael: first review

This album is going to get crapped on, and I'm sorry to say, I feel rightfully so. Trust me, I really look forward to 6 of the 10 tracks on the album, but I think as a collection, its disjointed and awkward. No, I haven't heard the album and I'll gladly recant if I think otherwise, but as of right now, all the many years of anticipation for such a release has been totally wiped out.

This album is going to get crapped on, and I'm sorry to say, I feel rightfully so. Trust me, I really look forward to 6 of the 10 tracks on the album, but I think as a collection, its disjointed and awkward. No, I haven't heard the album and I'll gladly recant if I think otherwise, but as of right now, all the many years of anticipation for such a release has been totally wiped out.

Well, tbqh, they would crap on it anyways whether he was alive or dead, which is what they have been doing to him for how long now? This is why I don't read/listen to music reviewers. Classic example: How many reviewers actually gave Paris Hilton's only album way higher reviews than they have given to most of MJ's discography?

Exactly. If it wasn't for the fact that Thriller sold so many records, it STILL would have had the low reviews it originally received.

All of these reviews are from overseas rags why should I care about what they say?

Well, tbqh, they would crap on it anyways whether he was alive or dead, which is what they have been doing to him for how long now? This is why I don't read/listen to music reviewers. Classic example: How many reviewers actually gave Paris Hilton's only album way higher reviews than they have given to most of MJ's discography?

Exactly. If it wasn't for the fact that Thriller sold so many records, it STILL would have had the low reviews it originally received.

Well, maybe they'd crap on it and maybe they wouldn't. True, reviews are subjective and not always something I agree with, but I can see a lot of fans giving this album poor reviews if some of the stuff we've heard will in fact be what's on the album.

And I have no clue what reviews were given to Paris Hilton's album, lol.

Well, maybe they'd crap on it and maybe they wouldn't. True, reviews are subjective and not always something I agree with, but I can see a lot of fans giving this album poor reviews if some of the stuff we've heard will in fact be what's on the album.

lol You know what's funny? I bet the songs the fans will rate poorly are the ones that the critics will rate highly.

And I have no clue what reviews were given to Paris Hilton's album, lol.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paris_(Paris_Hilton_album)

lol You know what's funny? I bet the songs the fans will rate poorly are the ones that the critics will rate highly.

That's already been proven with a few mentions of KYHU and Monster being stand out tracks. That's an insult to Michael Jackson, the artist.

I don't give a flying rat's arse about what the critics' reviews say - they are meaningless

That is not an insult, as KYHU is 100% real.

Paranoid nonsense which only showcases how self-obsessed the star was.

it's amazing how whenever Michael sings about tabloids and paparazzi, they immediately call him paranoid and crazy. I guess it's very tough for them to face the truth and admit the way they treated Michael all his life. It's much easier to write everything down as "paranoid self-obsession". F**k the press.

At the end of the day, he always got mixed reviews for his albums.Nothing will change there.All that matters is that the person buys it, likes it.We are never going to get a perfect album, probably not going to get an album where every track was finished by MJ.Critics need to realize this.

At the end of the day, he always got mixed reviews for his albums.Nothing will change there.All that matters is that the person buys it, likes it.We are never going to get a perfect album, probably not going to get an album where every track was finished by MJ.Critics need to realize this.

I agree. And the media are already putting Michael on blast in these reviews and he is not nor will he ever be aware that this album even exists. If the album flops, the media will not be looking at any of those who picked, produced and/or released the tracks. The media have made it quite clear that they are going to keep to the original trashy script and blame Michael for this like so much else, which is an insult to his memory. But then again, since when do they care about that?

Last edited:

it's amazing how whenever Michael sings about tabloids and paparazzi, they immediately call him paranoid and crazy. I guess it's very tough for them to face the truth and admit the way they treated Michael all his life. It's much easier to write everything down as "paranoid self-obsession". F**k the press.

I was thinking the exact same, you have Breaking News and Monster, both pointed against the media and both reviews I read they come back at him for that.

I remember back in '95 the revieuws for Tabloid Junkie wernt 2 bright either but we all know how the album did.

Agreed.
Some of you guys can be so naive, it's sad. Were you born yesterday? Hello, MJ's album's have been gettin shitted on by music critics since the HIStory era (1995-97). Ain't nothing changed. You thought him taking the old dirt nap was gonna loosen the media's harsh critique?

How many of these "reviews" come from legitimate papers written by respected critics? None of the reviews listed actually offer a critique of the work, i.e. production, singing, songwriting, etc... The Sun referring to anything MJ contributed to as paranoid and self-absorbed is laughable. Isn't this the same rag who has paid off nearly anyone who has come within 6ft of MJ to tell their story, showcased a video of Joe Jackson blaming his wife for MJ's death AND recently ran a weekly series showcasing video they bought of Michael and his children and many other dubious deeds all occurring after his death and we are to take their review seriously with lines like paranoid nonsense and self-obsessed? Honestly, some reviews are not worth the paper they were written on and if you cannot refer to the man by his given name, that automatically disqualifies you as a critic I should respect. I have no problem with accepting and respecting a negative review as long as it is an actual review of the work. These reviews are nothing more than catty bitching and I've seen far too much of that from too many people, fans included.

Again comparing with Thriller and Bad..... I am so tired of this.... :smilerolleyes:

For them History and Invincible and The Ultimate Collection are not existing!!

Well, at least there's a bit of honesty in some of those reviews, like background vocalists being so damn prominent that Michael is barely heard on some songs.

Alot of the reviews are just downright disrespectful IMO, taking ignorant and totally unnecessary jabs at Michael as a person. That proves to me further what their agenda is. Sounds to me like they're looking to get in good with any haters still around out there. This is exactly why I said that even without the controversy surrounding the album, they'd still be talking trash. They're not worth it to me. When they start personally attacking Michael, that's when it taints their credibility all the way around IMO.

I expected this.

Sony started it - including few confusing tracks, many fans continued this wanting to sabotage and spread the word

Media is setting it in stone and turn OF COURSE against MICHAEL ( not Sony ) !!

I knew this all along.... The best course of action for us as fans would have been to ignore what Sony did, and play enchanted for all the album, buy it and pretent we didn't observe. At least media would have not been that harsh,

Now the album is doomed, and what's worse Michael person attacked again. Oprah interviews + album failure --> Mike is thrown through the mud all over again. They are smiling seeing this!!

If things are gain on this path, in few years Estate will sell its catalogs.
It would be really over guys, on all planes. :no: Sorry for me so pessimistic... that's how I feel, cannot help it...

Not surprised that some critics would attack MJ on an album he had nothing to do with putting together! Especially when they got called out from beyond the grave in some tracks! lol He still get's under their skin and they can't hide their bias one bit! They can't face the truth! Can they seriously get any dumber?! It's as laughable as how some accept the songs that are questionable to the songs that are no doubt MJ! O_0 LMAO

Uhm, I don't think the picture of Michael painted so far is that bad. You shouldn't read Sun reviews. They are the dumbest paper. I'm curious to read more in depth reviews about the music, vocals, production and lyrics.

I guess this is where everyone goes mental at the media for 'hating' on the album even though more than half the board has been doing the same for the last 2 months.

HornyForMike;3107765 said:
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/bizarre/3255884/Jackos-new-trackos-are-BAD.html

WILL.I.AM, RED ONE and MARK RONSON all worked on MICHAEL JACKSON tracks before the King Of Pop died.

But none of them appears on this dated 'new' album Michael, which has been completed since his death.

There are a few tracks worth a listen but most are off-cuts from the dodgy 2001 record Invincible - and it shows.

Overall it's pretty disappointing and not a patch on his era-defining albums Off The Wall, Thriller and Bad.

I hope the Jackson estate leave any other unheard studio snippets alone after this release. It's out on December 14.

Here's my track-by-track verdict.

Hold My Hand - This first single from the album is a decent slice of pop- even though there are more of Akon's vocals (and his 'wooos' and yelps) on it than MJs.

Hollywood Tonight - *****'s trademark beatboxing and whistling drive this track which has production from 80s RnB man TEDDY RILEY.

Keep Your Head Up - Probably the best song on the album - this has a top notch beat from TRICKY STEWART, who was behind Single Ladies and Umbrella. It also has motivational lyrics, including the line "keeping your head up to the sky, keeping your wings so you can fly."

(I Like) The Way You Love Me - A cheesy ballad originally recorded in 2004 is annoying from the first note. Like many of the songs on Michael it has very few actual lines of the star singing and lots of production and backing vocals to mask the faults.

Monster Ft. 50 Cent - This is the star on paranoid form, angry with the media - as in his old songs Scream and Leave Me Alone. He sings: "Monster- he's like an animal/ I only wanna be a star" before asking "Why you stalking me?/ Why you haunting me." Fiddy's verse adds nothing to the song.

Best Of Joy - One of the last songs Michael recorded before his death. He was set to finish it in London during his ill-fated This Is It shows. It's another dated and repetitive track.

Breaking News - Paranoid nonsense which only showcases how self-obsessed the star was. The production is just atrocious. He sings "Everybody wanting a piece of Michael Jackson/ Reporters stalking the moves of Michael Jackson"

(I Can't Make It) Another Day Ft. Lenny Kravitz - A demo version of this uptempo song was leaked back in 2008 prompting Lenny to complete it. He got DAVE GROHL to play drums on the song and put his own backing vocals and old-school guitar solo on the track.

Behind The Mask - The instrumental for this was originally recorded by a group called YELLOW MAGIC ORCHESTRA and it's the most modern sounding-track on Michael. There is even a DAFT PUNK-like vocoder vocal. A sax solo almost spoils the fun.

Much Too Soon - A short soppy ballad recorded during the sessions for Thriller. It's not bad but makes you yearn to hear classics like Baby Be Mine and Rock With You.

Michael died in June 2009 just days before he was due to begin a residency at London's O2 Arena.

He suffered a heart attack after being given two powerful sedatives by his personal doctor Conrad Murray.

The Jackson family estate signed a £128million deal with Sony Music in March this year. It's thought the label will now release 10 different MJ albums over seven years, although most will be collections of material already available.

Please tell me that isn't what I think it means. :eek:

What did the estate/sony expect from the reviewers ater putting 2 shitty blame the media tracks on the album,even MJ said he was gonna move from such records.

It's obvious the reviewers dont know much about what they are reviewing
for example;the sun reviewer said ''
There are a few tracks worth a listen but most are off-cuts from the dodgy 2001 record Invincible - and it shows. '' Most of us know that's not true,the cascio tracks were recorded in 2007 as well as HMH,much too soon and behind the music in the early 80's ,so most were not invincible outtakes.

I didnt expect glowing reviews, even thriller reviews were average to good not excellent,most of the glowing reviews given to the album was post mega sales and since then the reviews had gone down hill with subsequent albums being ratted on more than the preceding one.

In the long run, critics use sales of mj's album to judge it and not the quality of the album.who cares about the critics,definitely not me.

I guess this is where everyone goes mental at the media for 'hating' on the album even though more than half the board has been doing the same for the last 2 months.

true :(

You not what I am regretting? That they even did an album in the first place. Mike albums are meant to fail even good ones, the same as it was when Mike was alive.
( even if he sold a lot, the image they projected was that it was disaster, flop etc )
They were after him, 'dead or alive' as Mike said it.

Better stop for ever and no albums anymore out there.

Now after all this bad experience, you know what I would have done? I would try to put up a compilation of Songs volume I, volume II etc

A humble title, compilation of Songs, or Songs compilation, demos and remixes. Then the reviewers won't jump unto it because it's just a gathering of few songs & remixes or featuring. Fans will treat it as it is. And everybody will buy it as an album, because in fact would come out on a cd, right?

I would put a nice pic, from last Mike photo sessions Vogue or Ebony and that would be it. Nice, clean, simple, humble target, and avoiding harsh critics of media and fans. Avoiding high expectations as well.

In the end would sell like hot cakes, because without critics, high expectations etc people would buy it.

Some of you have obviously only been MJ fans for '5 minutes'.

You're shocked at bad MJ reviews from the gutter press!? Where have you been for the last 20+ years!!??

The Sun, and most of the press, has had a vendetta against MJ ever since he released 'Leave Me Alone'. It obviously got worse with each song he released attacking them as the scum they are. What else do you expect?

The press will occasionally build him up a little, just so they can knock him down again. It's happened for decades, so stop reading anything into it.

It's not a surprise. Because it's not a great album. The whole project has been so stupid. I don't mean having a posthumous album is stupid but to have an album from the mostly unfinished material when there are enough finished material around. I will never understand the point.

You not what I am regretting? That they even did an album in the first place. Mike albums are meant to fail even good ones, the same as it was when Mike was alive.
( even if he sold a lot, the image they projected was that it was disaster, flop etc )
They were after him, 'dead or alive' as Mike said it.

Better stop for ever and no albums anymore out there.

Now after all this bad experience, you know what I would have done? I would try to put up a compilation of Songs volume I, volume II etc

A humble title, compilation of Songs, or Songs compilation, demos and remixes. Then the reviewers won't jump unto it because it's just a gathering of few songs & remixes or featuring. Fans will treat it as it is. And everybody will buy it as an album, because in fact would come out on a cd, right?

I would put a nice pic, from last Mike photo sessions Vogue or Ebony and that would be it. Nice, clean, simple, humble target, and avoiding harsh critics of media and fans. Avoiding high expectations as well.

In the end would sell like hot cakes, because without critics, high expectations etc people would buy it.

Whilst that would certainly be the more dignified way to handle his back catalogue, they would never do this.

They are promoting this as a new Michael Jackson album and are hyping it up to be one. It's all about making the maximum profit.

It makes me laugh when I see fans complaining about the album only having ten tracks.... what were you expecting? Sony and the estate are going to milk this catalogue for a LONG time to come.

How many of these "reviews" come from legitimate papers written by respected critics? None of the reviews listed actually offer a critique of the work, i.e. production, singing, songwriting, etc... The Sun referring to anything MJ contributed to as paranoid and self-absorbed is laughable. Isn't this the same rag who has paid off nearly anyone who has come within 6ft of MJ to tell their story, showcased a video of Joe Jackson blaming his wife for MJ's death AND recently ran a weekly series showcasing video they bought of Michael and his children and many other dubious deeds all occurring after his death and we are to take their review seriously with lines like paranoid nonsense and self-obsessed? Honestly, some reviews are not worth the paper they were written on and if you cannot refer to the man by his given name, that automatically disqualifies you as a critic I should respect. I have no problem with accepting and respecting a negative review as long as it is an actual review of the work. These reviews are nothing more than catty bitching and I've seen far too much of that from too many people, fans included.

This!

Oh The Sun talking shit on Michael Jackson, what else is new...horrible source anyway. I'm talking about the way they talk about Michael himself and his obsession with himself, yeah right....that's a good one...sigh.

I expected this.

Sony started it - including few confusing tracks, many fans continued this wanting to sabotage and spread the word

Media is setting it in stone and turn OF COURSE against MICHAEL ( not Sony ) !!

I knew this all along.... The best course of action for us as fans would have been to ignore what Sony did, and play enchanted for all the album, buy it and pretent we didn't observe. At least media would have not been that harsh,

Now the album is doomed, and what's worse Michael person attacked again. Oprah interviews + album failure --> Mike is thrown through the mud all over again. They are smiling seeing this!!

If things are gain on this path, in few years Estate will sell its catalogs.
It would be really over guys, on all planes. :no: Sorry for me so pessimistic... that's how I feel, cannot help it...

Aw Tipareth, I hope we don't have to be as pessimistic as that... but yeah, I am afraid too for the snowball effect...
Let's hope we are seeing it too dark!

Back