Michael Has Signed With Universial (?)

umm? here something to throw in the mix... does Universal handle all J5 stuff becuz it owns the Motown catalog...

or maybe Michael as a free agent and can do things with other labels and maybe it could be something Universal worked out with Michael becuz of the milllions$$ he filed against Universal a few years ago...
who knows??

again, this last.fm newsletter thing is mundane, it is no indication. many artists on other labels have the Universal sponsor for these newsletters.

OH THE CHAOS... !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :wild::wild::wild:

WHAT SHALL WE EVER DO?

Well, it's pretty simple actually. He's in a newsletter, nothing more nothing less. So basicly nothing has changed: We just don't know what's going to happen with a possible new album. Tadaaaa ;)

Yeah, everything's INCOGNEGRO, er, INCOGNITO, lol.

yep. especially in america. and the whole world knows it..so much so..that the american media slipped up and admitted it..then backtracked and defended themselves during an olympics sports broadcast that i heard.

Last edited:
Arxter.. 'His music' as in his artists.. As a business owner.. Sony distributes his music.. get what I am saying??

He produces music for other artists, and gets distributes through both Universal and Sony.

MY POINT is not that AKON has distributed things with SONY or not.. It's that you can have MULTIPLE distributers..

Universal is releasing this on August 26th (scroll down):

http://new.umusic.com/Music.aspx?Group=1&Type=1

Universal is releasing this on August 26th (scroll down):

http://new.umusic.com/Music.aspx?Group=1&Type=1
like a few here already mentioned with regards to Motown:

Universal is exclusive copyright holder of Michael Jackson's solo and group records from Motown era (Universal bought Motown).

So even it that site would not offer to sign for whatever artist no matter where he/she is contracted currently, it would be perfectly normal for Universal to offer such subscription for Michael Jackson.

it has nothing to do with joint distribution.

like a few here already mentioned with regards to Motown:

it has nothing to do with joint distribution.

I was probably off topic since I haven't been tracking things that thoroughly.

I am not here so often anymore but I didn't see anyone post about a new compilation from Motown/Universal for Michael. When I first read about it a while ago there was a description that claimed there would be some little known rarities and, if I recall, some hitherto unreleased stuff on it as well. I was thinking that perhaps that would suggest Michael may be working with them instead of suing them these days. Of course it is just a thought and I don't even know how Michael's lawsuit against them turned out.

You know what?

I believe that the reason the NYP got that "Jackson brothers say MJ owe them J5 money" is because they prematurely assumed MJ got the J5 catalog back and isn't paying them and that's a reason why he "won't be attending" the BMI Urban Awards to accept the BMI Icon Award with his brothers. :mellow:

wather he is planning on it or not.. I think it would be a great move.. It is the LARGEST.

U.S. music market sales:
Universal - 31.71%
Sony - 25.61

World Market:
Universal - 25.5%
Sony - 21.5%

And also Universal simply has been supporting there artists more with promotions than Sony has in recent history..

IF you think about the people that have been the most successful after the hights of the 'download era', causing these low sales, MOST of the artists that have done well are from Universal..

U.S. market Lavels with THE best selling album of the year
2002 - Universal
2003 - Universal
2004 - Sony
2005 - Universal
2006 - Disney
2007- Warner

Keep in mind that Universal was the ONLY label to get an album to reach over the 10 million mark since the musics plumet sales in 2003.. When piracy was getting it's boom between 1999-2002.. Starting to really spread from Boston, to the whole world. Through 1999-2002 it was on a decline, yet albums stayed in the double digits on FREQUENT.. But when 2003 hit, the double digit sales disapeard untill Universal released Amy Winhouses 'Back to Black' in 2006.. Which is still high on U.S. and U.K. charts.. nearly 3 years of constant chart topping.

Sony's sales right now cannot touch Universals..

Now if you list 10 of the top artists you think are promoted well and/or over promoted.. I will bet that a majority will be Universal artists.. try the game.. name 10, then we'll see what orginization there under.

Last edited:
Back