Michael Jackson, 1983 - Candy Girl?

StephluvsMJ

Proud Member
I was looking at some of the pictures TSCM posted in the Man in the Mirror section, and I came across this award Michael received for the single "Candy Girl"

00921.jpg

According to this, the single was released in the UK in 1983, was very successful and sold 250 000 copies, but I have never heard of it :huh: Does anyone have any details about this song?

i herd this song by New Edition group that was alike J5

if you get these prizes from every land that you're singles and records sell in more than 250.000 copies, then I wonder how many of these Michael has got at home :scratch:

Must be like.. thousands :bugeyed

He needs a whole room down in he's basement.. And then theres the prizes from awardshows.. geez.. Can I borrow some of that gold? Because I really need it this month!! :rofl:

Candy Girl is New Edition, not Mike. If you look at the record in the plaque, it even says New Edition. Ralph Tresvant is doing the lead vocal here. Other members are Ricky Bell, Ronnie Devoe, Michael Bivins, Bobby Brown, & Johnny Gill. Although Johnny wasn't a member at this point. Bobby was voted out later by the other members around 85 or 86 and replaced by Johnny Gill. Bobby rejoined in 1996. They became a 6 member group then instead of a quintet. Sort of like The Jacksons when Jermaine returned for the Victory album. NE visited the Jackson family home in the early 80s, maybe they gave him this award. Weird Al gave Mike the Grammy he won for "Fat" also.

Last edited:
Perhaps someone photoshopped that. Ralph Tresvant does sound similar to MJ, so maybe someone goofed as well. Who knows.

This is New Edition's single

They probably gave it to Michael as a gift, especially since Candy Girl uses the melody of ABC

Haha I love that song. "Candy girl, ya aaare my world!"

But yeah - New Edition emulated the Jackson 5 in basically every way - they were actually created with hopes of being as successful as the J5 were.

Haha I love that song. "Candy girl, ya aaare my world!"

But yeah - New Edition emulated the Jackson 5 in basically every way - they were actually created with hopes of being as successful as the J5 were.

NE wasn't created, they were already a group. They performed at talent shows and Maurice Starr saw them at one of them and got them a record contract. He produced their 1st album. The group fired & sued him because he was ripping them off. So Starr created New Kids On The Block who were also from Boston like NE. Maurice put out an album with them that flopped, and later did a 2nd album "Hanging Tough" that blew up, and they became more popular with the mainstream than NE. NE mainly sold to the R&B audience.

Thanks for the info. I just listened to that song on youtube and it was horrible :lol: I guess New Edition presented the award to Michael for some reason. Maybe Mike was a fan of them :scratch: Judging from that one song, I find their voices to be irritating.

Michael Bivins talks about Michael Jackson & Michael Jordan (at 2:19:00)
If anyone wants to watch the entire interview, there is a lot of N-word in it. But there isn't any during this 3 Mikes story, there is a little profanity though for people who don't want to hear that.

Back