Michael Jackson estate, Sony Music Entertainment strike record distribution deal

Status
Not open for further replies.
I also agree. 7 years is a short time, what are we left with after it? Hopefully not only hundreds of GH collections..

Some people think Sony are in control, they have never really been in control, Michael did things his way for a reason, he had final say on everything. The Estate have Sony at their knees in a sense, the short contract works perfectly that gives the estate another shot in 7 years, plus the fact that there is so many releases in that space is promising, I dont think the estate would give up everything in 7 years, they much have troves of stuff :)

Sell SONGS from his back catalogue, not the ACTUAL catalogue. The actual MJ catalogue is worth more than $200m. LOL, some people.

I think we're talking about the same thing, MJ's back catalogue, ie. all songs produced/recorded/written by Michael.

Some people think Sony are in control, they have never really been in control, Michael did things his way for a reason, he had final say on everything. The Estate have Sony at their knees in a sense, the short contract works perfectly that gives the estate another shot in 7 years, plus the fact that there is so many releases in that space is promising, I dont think the estate would give up everything in 7 years, they much have troves of stuff :)

Bless you for finally speaking out the TRUTH!:clapping::punk:

If they do this right, it will be amazing for us, for Michael's children and for Michael... wherever he is now...

Wow. This breaks the record MJ HIMSELF set in 1991 with Sony as well. He signed a $65 million dollar deal with sony and it was the largest ever.

Now he tops that by a long shot, with $200 million deal.

Sorry but this isn't true. MJ did set a record before Dangerous was released, but that record has been beaten multiple times.
The main artists I can find who exceeded $65million are:

U2 ($200million)
Robbie Williams ($125million)
Whitney Houston ($100million)
Madonna ($120million)
Jay-Z ($150million)

$200 - 250 million is still a big deal though and a great record to set.

Well it is great News we are all excited but what fun is there when MJ is not here. If love could bring you back.....

I am looking in this thread curiously, because I don't understand the jubilation on the MJ boards over the fact that now it is obviously that Sony is the one who benefits most from MJ's death.

I am looking in this thread curiously, because I don't understand the jubilation on the MJ boards over the fact that now it is obviously that Sony is the one who benefits most from MJ's death.

Because this is the best way to keep his music alive, Sony are the biggest company and we need them for this.

I agree, whatever has the best chance of securing the estates financial future and the musical legacy is the best option.
Mike had problems with people who worked for Sony a decade ago and they have moved on. there's no reason to hold a grudge against the company now.

This new deal is brilliant and very exciting news. John Branca is doing a wonderful job of looking after Michael's legacy. Michael was a solo artist, and we shall never know if Michael would approve of various unreleased songs, or how any new albums are structured. But John Branca was with Michael right at the beginging of his regin as the Greatest & Most Talented Pop Star of All Time, and he's the person who most likely knows what Michael would and wouldn't approve of as future releases.

If Michael was still alive, he would have re-signed with Sony in some form. I'm sure Michael would be pleased his music is being looked after by Sony. The people who will benefit the most out of this deal in the long run a Prince, Paris, Blanket and Katherine Jackson. Michael owned the masters to his music, and the publishing rights so it's not Sony who gain the most from this deal, even though Sony will still make a lot of money. Also Michael's problem was with Tommy Mottola and the other executives running Sony at the time. By 2007-08 Michael had a good relationship with Sony.

I'm really looking forward to expanded editions of Off The Wall and Bad. And hopefully the Bad, Triumph and USA leg of the Destiny Tour on DVD, plus behind the scenes footage of Michael filming his music videos from 1979 - 2003 (the unreleased One More Chance video).

These hearing unreleased songs will be very exciting, but like all of us I having Michael in the world with us would have been even more exciting.

Last edited:
Some people think Sony are in control, they have never really been in control, Michael did things his way for a reason, he had final say on everything.

Actually fans who met MJ in the last few years say that he didn't even know some of his old songs had been released. They'd mention it to him and he was totally clueless.

Actually fans who met MJ in the last few years say that he didn't even know some of his old songs had been released. They'd mention it to him and he was totally clueless.

I wont go as far as to say those fans are lieing, but I dont see how that can be true lol

Sorry but this isn't true. MJ did set a record before Dangerous was released, but that record has been beaten multiple times.
The main artists I can find who exceeded $65million are:

U2 ($200million)
Robbie Williams ($125million)
Whitney Houston ($100million)
Madonna ($120million)
Jay-Z ($150million)

$200 - 250 million is still a big deal though and a great record to set.

As quoted by Wall Street Journal (and for me, a GREAT source when it comes to this money talk :D)

Head-Spinning Recording Deals

1996: R.E.M. signs $80 million, five-album deal with Warner Music.

2001: EMI inks $100 million, five-album deal with Mariah Carey. In 2002 EMI paid her $28 million to get out of the contract, after just one album.

2002: EMI reaches pact with British pop singer Robbie Williams, said to be valued at as much as $100 million, to get a cut of touring, publishing and merchandising revenue.

2005: Sony Music strikes deal with Bruce Springsteen worth at least $100 million. The costly move contributes to the ouster of then-CEO Andrew Lack.

2007: Live Nation strikes 10-year, $120 million deal to represent Madonna in nearly every aspect of her professional life, including sale of recorded music and licensing of her image.

2008: Live Nation signs $150 million, 10-year deal with Jay-Z. Similar to the contract with Madonna, it gave the company a percentage of future revenue from across his business.

2010: Sony and Michael Jackson's estate agree to a $250 million deal for 10 albums over seven year

Wowoww... I just noted that the two previous BIG deals included also licenses for image/other business. NOt the case with MJ. All that is OUT of this deal... woowww... Michael!!! :eek:

Am i the only one who noticed this?

"With 10 albums over seven years, the deal will involve a mix of previously unreleased songs and new packages of familiar ones."

On Norwegian sites, it says that ONE of the 10 albums will contain new material. The rest (9 albums) will be of the familiar ones (greatest htis, etc).

They must be wrong, right? 10 new albums = 1 with new/unreleased material and 9 albums with already released material. Hope this is a bad translation by the Norwegiean news papers.

Am i the only one who noticed this?

"With 10 albums over seven years, the deal will involve a mix of previously unreleased songs and new packages of familiar ones."

On Norwegian sites, it says that ONE of the 10 albums will contain new material. The rest (9 albums) will be of the familiar ones (greatest htis, etc).

They must be wrong, right? 10 new albums = 1 with new/unreleased material and 9 albums with already released material. Hope this is a bad translation by the Norwegiean news papers.

It's all speculation. No one knows for sure what's included in the deal. So far we only know about an album of previously unreleased songs due out later this year and remastered Off the Wall with some previously unreleased songs from that era due out next year. There's talk also about a similar re-release of Bad, as well as a DVD of all MJ's videos but there are no dates for that.

So we can't know at this point how many albums of new material are planned. Although I think at least half of those 10 promised albums are going to be collections, or maybe even more. We'll see.

Yeah, I see. Collections are really the last thing we want, but we'll see.

That's true, we don't really want them, but they are unavoidable. But as long as they include a couple of new songs in collections, I will be buying them.

The deal—touted by both Sony and Mr. Jackson's estate as the most lucrative recording contract ever— guarantees the estate at least $200 million. With 10 albums over seven years, the deal will involve a mix of previously unreleased songs and new packages of familiar ones.
So does that in red not worry anyone but me? Do i see yet ANOTHER greatest hits album in the future? Am i misreading this?
No, I can understand why you're worried. As a matter of fact, I don't have a huge faith in their plan when it comes to releasing unreleased tracks. Yes, they WILL release some of them, but I believe it will come with at least several compilations of hits and tribute and/or remix albums. Which is why I'm not impressed with this "10 albums over 7 years" blueprint. Sony will probably keep on hyping up upcoming releases, but only hint at previously unreleased material before putting out an album with only a few of them on it. They know how much we fans look forward to the tracks, so they will milk it for all its worth. I wouldn't be shocked if only 1 of the 10 albums are filled only with unreleased songs.

It is news very glad.
It wishes all earnings to be paid to children

John Branca is a genius.

In 7 years time, they will get the masters back and also be able to strike a new multi-million deal.

I just hope they make the first album amazing...

It is news very glad.
It wishes all earnings to be paid to children!!

Is this 200 or 250 millions?
Wall Street Journal says 250, but many others claim is "only" 200 millions. Not a minor gap... geeezzz.... and this industry is doing that bad? really? :eek:

So the estate is not in debt?

*sigh* What I would give to remember a time when you could trust what you read. :(
MJ had a $300 million loan from Bank of America. Who knows what else he owed money on. MJ owed people money, just like 50% of the US population does. I don't see it as a big deal when they report MJ owes money. It's just a fact. Soon enough all the debts MJ left behind will be paid off.

this is HUGEEEEEEE News ahhhhhh so mj has the bigggest deal like everrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr beating janet 1996 contract with virgin wow

it's guaranteed to be a minimum of $200million but if certain conditions are met, the contract could be worth up to $250million. I don't know what the conditions are.

Is this 200 or 250 millions?
Wall Street Journal says 250, but many others claim is "only" 200 millions. Not a minor gap... geeezzz.... and this industry is doing that bad? really? :eek:
200 million is guaranteed. If certain conditions are met, the estate can make up to 250 million.

John Branca is a genius.

In 7 years time, they will get the masters back and also be able to strike a new multi-million deal.

I just hope they make the first album amazing...
And to think some people on here were crying foul that the lawyers of the estate wanted to get paid for their work....

The Independent (UK)

The record-breaking contract through 2017 could be worth up to $250 million if certain conditions are met. One of the albums will be of never-before-released Jackson recordings that will come out in November, the person said. (there's the answer to my previous question :D)

"During his life, Michael's contracts set the standard for the industry," said John Branca, the co-administrator of the Jackson estate, in a statement prepared for release Tuesday. "By all objective criteria, this agreement with Sony Music demonstrates the lasting power of Michael's music by exceeding all previous industry benchmarks."

Rob Stringer, chairman of Sony Music's Columbia Epic Label Group, said in prepared remarks, "We're dedicated to protecting this icon's legacy and we're thrilled that we can continue to bring his music to the world for the foreseeable future."

The landmark deal is worth more than all other benchmarks, such as the all-encompassing rights deals that concert promoter and ticket-seller Live Nation Entertainment Inc. had previously signed with Madonna at $120 million and Jay-Z for $150 million.

The deal with Jackson's estate is even more remarkable because it does not include royalties from merchandise.

[...]

Distribution rights for "This Is It" were sold to Sony Pictures, another unit of Sony Corp., for $60 million and the movie went on to gross $252 million worldwide, the most of any concert film ever.

Souce: http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-e...ord-deal-worth-up-to-250-million-1921980.html

Wellcome to Michael-mania again?

Ohh, that Michael Jackson!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back