Michael Jackson estate, Sony Music Entertainment strike record distribution deal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow. This breaks the record MJ HIMSELF set in 1991 with Sony as well. He signed a $65 million dollar deal with sony and it was the largest ever.

Now he tops that by a long shot, with $200 million deal.

mj will still be in debt in 40 years time according to the media. money made from TII and 30 mill album sales is around $90 mill just for the album sales. putting aside all the downloads. the debt is more than likely gone now or very near to being gone.

Was Michael still a free agent before he passed or was he still signed with Sony?
he left in 03.all material recorded after that date is own sorely by the estate. sony have the right to music up to next year.after that the estate own it all if the estate didnt want to deal with sony they would have had to wait until when ever it is in 2011 that they get them back

mjs issues were with mottola not sony as a whole. thats well known. mottola went within moths of mjs demos in 02 and the company is run by different ppl.theres very few labels who could afford and be able to handle mjs music so the estate is going with a safe bet which u can understand.be intresting to see if they taked with other lables and what offers were made or whether the estate wanted to keep everything together and not wait till the masters return.
and of course theres going to be loads of G.Hs what do somef ans expect. u will have that for the rest of your life once any half finished songs are fine tuned and released. u need to get used to it. mj is gone this is it! yet we still have the same complaints about err another G.H. mjs cat is the biggest selling cat there is . u think that wont be taken advantage of

Wow this is big news. 10 albums in 7 years! I'm looking forward to see what this will bring to us, hoping Sony will not disappoint us.. It's so bittersweet at the same time, though and I have been more excited about other things.. but I want to hear the unreleased tracks.

Re: Sony Places Big Bet on a Fallen 'King'

Good news about new music.

Still I don't know..since Michael's demonstration against Sony and the whole Killer Thriller speech etc. that he made against them... well, I'm uncomfortable. Also I hope the estate does not sell them Michael's half of the catalogue.

"Also I hope the estate does not sell them ......the catalogue."

I DO agree with you.
For MJ himself and for three children.

I agree with those who say that Sony was the only option to get such a huge deal. I think it was a very good job done by Branca. So far I am very pleased with what the Estate is doing for Michael's legacy. We'll see how the new album goes, but I am confident it will be very successful.

As far as I understand the contract is quite limiting, they can't sell merchandise, they can't use MJ's name or his image. They will only distribute the music. Someone should do it anyway, the Estate can't release the music by itself, it needs a recording company for that. And Sony offered more money than anybody else. So the choice is quite obvious.

Good deal. Looking forward to seeing what new material we will all have to enjoy. Just wish Michael was still with us to see more 'records' broken.

OK, I don't know about anyone else but this thread is weird enough for me without having to read pointless bickering. Thread cleaned.

Yay Sony that's right, milk'em for all they got! Am I the only one who just feels sick after reading this news? I know this is all about business, but shoot, they could have at least had the decency to wait a whole year before striking their oh-so-fancy deal that Michael will never benefit from... Seeing how fast they went about capitalising on This is it, I guess I shouldn't be surprised. I don't feel excited in the least bit.

I feel the same. But in keeping with the positive theme of this thread I'm gonna shut up.

I've read it and I would really like to hear the new stuff...
But I only feel like crying now... :weeping:
I wish he was still here. :cry:

Anyway, thanks for sharing this news! :flowers:
I'm so proud of you Michael! :clapping:I love you more... :heart:

Be VERY careful of those who talk the loudest and post the most for they are those who would have you believe it's 2001 & that releases, numerous realeases after 2002 didn't happen. Fact is they did, willingly. Fact is he was talking to Sony before he died, with new music, willingly. Those who did him wrong in 2001 at Sony records no longer exist, it was a power struggle at the highest level and the stakes were in the billions. It's senior management trying to make their mark at it's finest but only those who work within the industry could see that it's not about Sony fucking records. It was a handful of dodgy fucks who went out to do him over.

The choices are simple and dead or alive the remain the same
buy it
or don't buy it

but don't fucking sit there and whinge over invincible as the reason why the estate can't sign 200mill deals in a global Economy that is up the shit. Nobody else gonna say it but I will, don't just hate the deal cos it don't feeeel right. Give us facts. If you can't refer above to your options. We are about to get treasures of recordings and if peoplecan go onn and bloody on about Sony then I have the right to wish the estate and Sony all the very best. The estate has done a great job. It's been 9months and they havebrought in hundreds of millions. But I suppose they couldve done better right. Please.

What is with all the aggression? Can you just chill out, seriously.

Everyone has different opinions (funnily enough) just respect it and move on.

I feel the same. But in keeping with the positive theme of this thread I'm gonna shut up.

Do speak your mind, Stacey. I know the recent trend here has been that one's opinion isn't valued if it's not something positive, but I think everyone should feel free to express how they really feel. I don't understand why "negativity" has become a curseword around here, lol. And why differing opinions are immediately viewed as negative.

I personally don't have a problem with Sony releasing new material. Even though it's bittersweet because Michael isn't here anymore, I'm excited about getting a new album this year! But I don't mind reading different viewpoints, brings more flavor to the conversation. :)

Do speak your mind, Stacey. I know the recent trend here has been that one's opinion isn't valued if it's not something positive, but I think everyone should feel free to express how they really feel. I don't understand why "negativity" has become a curseword around here, lol. And why differing opinions are immediately viewed as negative.

I personally don't have a problem with Sony releasing new material. Even though it's bittersweet because Michael isn't here anymore, I'm excited about getting a new album this year! But I don't mind reading different viewpoints, brings more flavor to the conversation. :)

Thanks Laura, I agree with you wholeheartedly. I just dunno what to feel right now about this, so I'll reserve my judgment. I guess it's because of the sheer amount of money involved, it scares me. Obviously I'm so happy about new music, really I am. The numbers and history are just clouding that happiness right now.

But, I'm proud of Michael and all that, goes without saying. I just wish he was here more than anything.

I must say While I am negative over Sony, I can see why they went with them. Branca is doing a great job, only wish he was there in MJ's more near the end. He always done well for MJ I thought.

I only worry we will see nothing but repackaged greatest Hits over and over, like they have been giving us for years. That must stop.

Apart from all that I am happy, especially to see MJ break another record. Go MJ!!!

Did he really?
If so, that would certainly be a very good recipe to deal with this feelings of being a traitor. :(

But if so... then... why any new music? Was it only because of the "trials"? I know very well what Sony can do. Not only because of Michael, but also because my other favourite, George Michael... He sang it very well in Older, when he finally get out of Sony after so long... "feels good... to be... free"

:mello:

I think there have been very few artists that did not have problems, even major ones, with their record company. After all, the Jacksons had to leave Motown to get a lucrative deal, and still there was some resulting suit from Motown.

In this economy particularly, this seems like a very good deal. And business is business, a lot of things are put in the past for the mutual interest of the various parties.

I'm looking forward to what's coming. Got fingres crossed we fans won't be disappointed.

Wow this is big news. 10 albums in 7 years! I'm looking forward to see what this will bring to us, hoping Sony will not disappoint us.. It's so bittersweet at the same time, though and I have been more excited about other things.. but I want to hear the unreleased tracks.

Not 10 albums...10 projects.

"Also I hope the estate does not sell them ......the catalogue."

I DO agree with you.
For MJ himself and for three children.

Did Branca not make it clear in the AP interview last fall: CATALOGUE IS NOT FOR SALE. People keep mixing news with their own opinions.

No matter how often it is asked (even the new AP & WSJ) stated that fact, there is no need TO SELL THE CATALOGUE. Hope it is clear now.

Rickyd, I cannot quote you because the original post was erased...but I totally agree with EVERYTHING YOU WROTE. Blunt...but true.

MJ's own fans have been creating & spreading lies on the internet...It is sickening. I had almost an hour exchange with an MJ fan this morning claiming that the administrators are making money off producing and everything. I kept telling her that was a lie...she wouldn't budge. I had the pull out the court documents to show her how wrong she was.

MJ's executors are getting 5% of profits each while other estates (Jim Morrisson, Janis Joplin etc) pay as much as 25%. Katherine Jackson thought the compensation rate was fair....the kids' lawyer agreed...The 5% include everything : from using John McClain studios to mix a new album...producing it...and Branca's time negotiating new deals. They get a 5% flat rate.... WTF do fans feel entitled to complain about?

/end of vent

Looking forward to hearing new MJ music...it will be sad, but I will appreciate the chance to hear news tracks from him.

10 albums/projects over 7 years? Wow, this is MASSIVE news :-D STILL breaking records; King of Pop forever :)

With the official announcement on Thursday, do you reckon they will shed some light on this upcoming "new" 2010 album?

Pity the first article ignored MJ's other recording breaking recording contract in 1991, but still...

Everyone is going crazy about this on every website I've been to. Yes its a lot of money and I'm so proud of Michael for setting another record but I wouldn't care if the deal was a billion. No amount of money will bring Michael back and that is what I want more than anything. Having new music is great and all but this is something I really have mixed emotions about. Why the rush?

It certainly does seem like a GLUT of releases over a 7 year period, especially considering MJ only released every 4 or so years when recording... hope it isn't a string of MAJOR over-hyped releases, or I fear they'll flood the market.

Good news (as good as any Michael news can get I guess) but I'm struggling to think of 10 albums they can release.

. An album of unreleased stuff
. Bad live
. B sides/rarities
. Remix album

Then what...?
. Dangerous live?
. HIStory 'live'

..and yeah, the grudge holding towards Sony is tired & old. Not to start an Invincible thread but at the end of the day it simply wasn't as good as previous work.

Is it 10 "Albums" or 10 "Projects"?

It might not turn out to be 10 albums perse, it could be 10 projects. For all we know, they could release 1 album of fully unreleased material and the following all having previously released compilations with 1 new song on them. Also, wasn't there talk of 'rock band' style games? These things could be included in the projects planned.

It certainly does seem like a GLUT of releases over a 7 year period, especially considering MJ only released every 4 or so years when recording... hope it isn't a string of MAJOR over-hyped releases, or I fear they'll flood the market.

I agree. Michael released an album every 5 years! I much prefer that... it makes the next album constantly exciting as we had to wait 5 years for it! Spreading it out would of been keeps better like for every decade a certain amount of albums gets released. Hope there not gonna use up all the material left of Michael jam packed in 7 years... I want his legacy to include releasing new music for decades to come!

Not 10 albums...10 projects.

Did Branca not make it clear in the AP interview last fall: CATALOGUE IS NOT FOR SALE. People keep mixing news with their own opinions.

No matter how often it is asked (even the new AP & WSJ) stated that fact, there is no need TO SELL THE CATALOGUE. Hope it is clear now.

Rickyd, I cannot quote you because the original post was erased...but I totally agree with EVERYTHING YOU WROTE. Blunt...but true.

MJ's own fans have been creating & spreading lies on the internet...It is sickening. I had almost an hour exchange with an MJ fan this morning claiming that the administrators are making money off producing and everything. I kept telling her that was a lie...she wouldn't budge. I had the pull out the court documents to show her how wrong she was.

MJ's executors are getting 5% of profits each while other estates (Jim Morrisson, Janis Joplin etc) pay as much as 25%. Katherine Jackson thought the compensation rate was fair....the kids' lawyer agreed...The 5% include everything : from using John McClain studios to mix a new album...producing it...and Branca's time negotiating new deals. They get a 5% flat rate.... WTF do fans feel entitled to complain about?

/end of vent

Looking forward to hearing new MJ music...it will be sad, but I will appreciate the chance to hear news tracks from him.

Thank you - I agree completely. The misinformation that is floating around and its influence on some fans is worrying. Some facebook sites related to MJ are particularly depressing in this respect.

I personally look forward to what is to come musically despite the overwhelming sadness of Michael's absence.

Is it 10 "Albums" or 10 "Projects"?

It might not turn out to be 10 albums perse, it could be 10 projects. For all we know, they could release 1 album of fully unreleased material and the following all having previously released compilations with 1 new song on them. Also, wasn't there talk of 'rock band' style games? These things could be included in the projects planned.

That would make much more sense, yes. 10 projects is easily done. Rock Band and the like and of course the long awaited DVDs.

And a 3D virtual live tour wouldn't surprise me either.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/16/arts/music/16jackson.html?partner=rss&emc=rss

Michael Jackson Estate Signs Sweeping Contract

By BEN SISARIO
Published: March 15, 2010

Nine months after Michael Jackson’s death, his estate has signed one of the biggest recording contracts in history, giving Sony, Mr. Jackson’s longtime label, the rights to sell his back catalog and draw on a large vault of unheard recordings.

http://www.upi.com/Entertainment_Ne...ckson-estate-in-huge-deal/UPI-28451268712665/

LOS ANGELES, March 16 (UPI) -- The estate of Michael Jackson has agreed to a deal allowing the Sony record label to sell the late U.S. pop icon's back catalog of recordings, sources said.

Good news (as good as any Michael news can get I guess) but I'm struggling to think of 10 albums they can release.

Well... here's my 2 cents, could be waaaaaay off, but from the information we've got I'd assume:

1. This Is It OST - already released
2. 'New' Album w/Another Day as lead single - June-Nov 2010
3. OTW Expanded Anniversary Edition (as planned before TII, then put on hold)
4. Bad Expanded Anniversary Edition
5. Remix album, as stated in article
6. Rarities and B-sides collection -- could be incorporated with #5 to make room for other projects/back catalogue DVD releases
7. Updated Greatest Hits (HIStory Volume II??)
8. DVD/Blu-ray release of MJ's Short Film Catalogue (as mentioned in the article)
9. Potential Cirque de Soleil soundtrack (as mentioned in article, if it EVER comes to pass)
10. The long-anticipated new video game (again, if it EVER comes to pass)

... of course, it could include a 3D release of the TII film, for all we know...

Fingers crossed the official announcement on Thursday will shed some light on this, or at the least, a taster for the upcoming 'new' album :)

Last edited:
Sell SONGS from his back catalogue, not the ACTUAL catalogue. The actual MJ catalogue is worth more than $200m. LOL, some people.

I agree. Michael released an album every 5 years! I much prefer that... it makes the next album constantly exciting as we had to wait 5 years for it! Spreading it out would of been keeps better like for every decade a certain amount of albums gets released. Hope there not gonna use up all the material left of Michael jam packed in 7 years... I want his legacy to include releasing new music for decades to come!
I also agree. 7 years is a short time, what are we left with after it? Hopefully not only hundreds of GH collections..

If this is true,It's time for a full 10 DVD/ Blue Ray set of all his Videos ( Including Say Say Say and Some one said that there's a Video of Michael and Sir Macca doing The Girl Is Mine) and Shortfilms(including Ghost and Captain EO) Along with The album of unreleased songs and repackaged Albums.I wonder what The Expanded albums will be like ? Look, as long as the Money goes to The family .They will be blessed. But Still I wished he was still here somewhere overlooking all these deals because I don't want His Mom and Kids to be cheated out of any money that Sony, AEG and others are making on his behalf.

I also agree. 7 years is a short time, what are we left with after it? Hopefully not only hundreds of GH collections..

Exactly my fear... But then I think to myself Michael must have music written and produced to last a lifetime! After this 7 year contract, Sony may do another? Let's hope its that way instead of the other - which is being left with nothing after 7 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back