Michael Jackson estate, Sony Music Entertainment strike record distribution deal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yay Sony that's right, milk'em for all they got! Am I the only one who just feels sick after reading this news? I know this is all about business, but shoot, they could have at least had the decency to wait a whole year before striking their oh-so-fancy deal that Michael will never benefit from... Seeing how fast they went about capitalising on This is it, I guess I shouldn't be surprised. I don't feel excited in the least bit.

Couldn't agree more Eric it's business and businesses change.

Sony is going to go all out early 90s styles

wE cannot live in the past or it may as well be June 25th everyday.

Embrace it, mj has a vault, Sony his record company forever will be distributing the product. Nothing changes, the estate gets the final say just like Michael did.

I'm begging fans to move on

please don't assess the feelings of other fans, wrongly, and tell them what to do. leave us to ourselves. the first rule of this site, is respect, for other peoples' opinions.

Yay Sony that's right, milk'em for all they got! Am I the only one who just feels sick after reading this news? I know this is all about business, but shoot, they could have at least had the decency to wait a whole year before striking their oh-so-fancy deal that Michael will never benefit from... Seeing how fast they went about capitalising on This is it, I guess I shouldn't be surprised. I don't feel excited in the least bit.

No, friend, you are not the only one feeling that way. Most are happy. Some are angry. Some of us feel simply guilty.... well... let's face it, this is difficult to the fan community!
:mello:

I think it's worth noting that this isn't the same SONY Michael was speaking of nearly ten years ago. It's run by a different group of people that Michael appeared more willing to work with.

I think it's worth noting that this isn't the same SONY Michael was speaking of nearly ten years ago. It's run by a different group of people that Michael appeared more willing to work with.

well...because of his separate publishing deal, years ago, no incarnation of sony could mess up MJ and his family, if they tried.

hell, lady gaga(and lots of other of 'today's artists' are putting food on Paris' table.

and even if they weren't, tons of hardcore MJ fans,(the kind that mobbed him, whenever he went outside, never ceasing) have been, everyday of MJ's life, as well as now, through all is mijac music, and videos.

Last edited:
If the Bad tour, Victory Tour and all his other tours ever come out on DVD/bluray, now is the time it seems. Very exciting!

But, at the same time, bittersweet.

Re: Sony Places Big Bet on a Fallen 'King'

Can we have a DVD/Blu-ray of the Bad tour in that package? Please.

To whom it may concern....

Please keep the negativity out of this thread. All the Sony, Mottola hate-------->this way.

Michael is still making history, and let's not spoil it with the constant babbling about Mottola, Sony etc. ok?

exactly thanks for that

lets enjoy and love this instead of bring hate into it.

I know they didn't say they were selling the Sony/ATV the article said this - ''The estate could probably wipe out the debts entirely by selling its half of Sony/ATV, although such a drastic step is viewed as unlikely now that Mr. Jackson's posthumous business is generating so much cash.'' I'm saying yes I hope they don't.

What about the articles previously posted on this forum claiming that the debts had been paid thanks to the Estate's current profits? Perhaps the author of the WSJ article is unaware of that. Anyways, MJ had his own plan to get rid of the debts.

Plus the news say "distribution deal". It makes me believe that the all decisions are going to be done by the estate and not Sony.

I think you are correct; the Estate will have some input. The quotes below from the WSJ article are interesting and give some hints. It also seems like the control of the masters will revert to the Estate in 2011 as it would have to Michael.

But unlike the megadeals struck in recent years by concert promoter Live Nation Entertainment Inc. with pop stars Jay-Z and Madonna, the Jackson deal doesn't give Sony income from other parts of the late singer's business, such as merchandise sales or fees for licensing his name and likeness.

A record contract struck in the early 1980s gave Mr. Jackson ownership of his recordings. Sony had the right to distribute those recordings through 2015. The new deal extends that right until 2017, and adds the rights to material recorded since then.

I don't think MJ ever truly cut ties with Sony. He still owned his share in Sony's music publishing and also gave the green light for both Thriller 25 as and OTW 30 which were both Sony projects.

If MJ had lived to release another studio album I feel 99% confident it would've been released with Sony.

I still feel mad at them about Invincible though and I think a lot of fans find it hard to forget.

I am very worried over this for two reasons.
First,we know Michael hated Sony,and I chose to trust his judgement and stick to his own words during the Invincible era. The estated could have negotiated a better deal with another label.
Second,there goes the Mijac catalog. What's next? The Sony/ATV share,which Michael specifically said it's not for sale.

Not that anyone in the estate is taking into consideration his wishes.
I am very very concerned about what comes after this.

I hope this deal force them to defend his image even more than before,it's in their best interest now.
It's a bitter-sweet feeling,my biggest wish right now would be for him to witness that the world really really loved him,they were just blinded by media crap,if only he could see all the younger generation being totally in love with him!

Michael did not hate 'Sony'. How could he hate every one of the hundreds of thousands of people that work at 'Sony'??

Michael had problems with a very tiny minority of people within 'Sony' at one specific time in it's history.

He moved on from that. So should we.

Hm... I really don't want to bring negativity here and I should be happy about this but like some of you said, it just leaves a bitter taste, especially this quote:

"A record contract struck in the early 1980s gave Mr. Jackson ownership of his recordings. Sony had the right to distribute those recordings through 2015. The new deal extends that right until 2017, and adds the rights to material recorded since then."

From what I know Mike was almost 'free' as in he would have gotten the rights back in 3 years (maybe I'm wrong?) but this says that Sony will still own them AND the other songs that Mike's done on his own since he left them.
That to me is wrong - but of course... what can you do? I will probably buy the new stuff *sigh* .....

I don't think MJ ever truly cut ties with Sony. He still owned his share in Sony's music publishing and also gave the green light for both Thriller 25 as and OTW 30 which were both Sony projects.

If MJ had lived to release another studio album I feel 99% confident it would've been released with Sony.

I still feel mad at them about Invincible though and I think a lot of fans find it hard to forget.

I agree.
I don't want to simplify or justify anything sony did,but 99% of artists face the same crap from record companies.It's a constant compromise and they know it.
I don't remember a big name from Madonna to Depeche Mode,from Radiohead to U2,Prince etc etc that didn't have to eat their rec company shit at a certain point of their career and been very verbal about it,rightfully so!
If you want to be as big as MJ or Madonna or Bruce Springsteen or Rolling Stones or Prince or even Radiohead who professed their hate for emi but only after making millions with them for 15 years,still need big corporations to back them up.
They are not independent underground small acts and they need this kind of deals to keep getting bigger.

The estated could have negotiated a better deal with another label.

Not sure, the music industry is pretty dead. And the estate retains the owernship of the master recordings ; it's just a distribution deal. These 10 projects concerns mostly a repackaging of the old music, maybe 1 or 2 new albums.

Be VERY careful of those who talk the loudest and post the most for they are those who would have you believe it's 2001 & that releases, numerous realeases after 2002 didn't happen. Fact is they did, willingly. Fact is he was talking to Sony before he died, with new music, willingly. Those who did him wrong in 2001 at Sony records no longer exist, it was a power struggle at the highest level and the stakes were in the billions. It's senior management trying to make their mark at it's finest but only those who work within the industry could see that it's not about Sony fucking records. It was a handful of dodgy fucks who went out to do him over.

The choices are simple and dead or alive the remain the same
buy it
or don't buy it

but don't fucking sit there and whinge over invincible as the reason why the estate can't sign 200mill deals in a global Economy that is up the shit. Nobody else gonna say it but I will, don't just hate the deal cos it don't feeeel right. Give us facts. If you can't refer above to your options. We are about to get treasures of recordings and if peoplecan go onn and bloody on about Sony then I have the right to wish the estate and Sony all the very best. The estate has done a great job. It's been 9months and they havebrought in hundreds of millions. But I suppose they couldve done better right. Please.

Just seen this on BBC News. This is a huge deal, BBC are reporting its the biggest recording deal in history. Only Michael eh! It seems to me by reading the article we'll be getting a few more greatest hits packages but at least new stuff will be released too which I can't wait to listen. The one thing I wish about this all is that I wish Michael was here to see this all. He is the king. Long live the king.

even though he said in a video that he left sony with nothing about old songs from the past, after 2001, the song from t25, for all time, was proof, that, even doing that, MJ is magic. so..sony can't mess it up. they can look like geniuses, only because you can throw a dart, and wherever it lands, you got a gem of a song. a two year old child can pick an MJ song, blindfolded, and it will be a hit. so, MJ won, anyway.

Last edited:
Roll on 7 yeas of greatest hit albums, with maybe one or two new songs in each. Dame Sony.

I was hoping Sony would not get any deal, considering the way they treated him in his last couple of years here on earth.

icon6.gif

- the essential of the essential of Michael Jackson
- the hits
- the greatest hits
- the king of pop rock and soul smash hits
- Michael Jackson: The best of
- Michael Jackson power hits
- Michael Jackson's chartbuster's volume I past and future
icon6.gif

News of the biggest deal in music history all over the news, and still we get negativity. Some fans are never happy!

I think we need to trust the people in charge of Michael's estate. I am sure they will be doing the very best for Michael's children, and his music legacy.

I am certainly glad the children's future and MJ's music are in the hands of Branca etc., rather than in the hands of some people on here!

the articles are saying that the estate is still in debt? :blink: Is this so?

it's the same copy and paste BS reporters have been printing for years. they just bet on repetition. MJ's musical magic makes those articles not plausible, and sony unable to mess up MJ's genius, no matter what they do.

So the estate is not in debt?

*sigh* What I would give to remember a time when you could trust what you read. :(

well..i just trust what came out of MJ's mouth, about everything concerning him..whether in song or speech. and i trust no one else, concerning him.

just because you read it in a magzine or see it on the tv screen...
:yes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back