Michael Jackson Mural to Adorn "Bad" Brooklyn Subway Station

HEE, HEE, AOW!!! GREAT GREAT NEWS!!! LOVE IT! Can't wait to go and see it. Also, since this project is not part of the MTA, let's hope it happens fast!! This made my day!!!! MICHAEL (LOVE) LIVES FOREVER !!!!:clapping:

So it might be fun to think about which images from the Bad video they would use for the mural. Let's see...

I like this one because it shows the entire cast and the subway station:

vpnjhkkkieig.jpg

Yet this one is iconic and MJ is better seen:

bad.jpg

So what would you guys like to see in the mural? :)

Oh how cool!! Such great news!
I definitely will visit there someday!

“Michael Jackson was extraordinary. When we worked together on ‘Bad,’ I was in awe of his absolute mastery of movement on the one hand, and of the music on the other. Every step he took was absolutely precise and fluid at the same time. It was like watching quicksilver in motion. He was wonderful to work with, an absolute professional at all times, and – it really goes without saying – a true artist. It will be a while before I can get used to the idea that he’s no longer with us.”

Martin Scorsese - filmmaker who directed the video for “Bad”

man..all the busses i've seen that would always write the word 'Bad' with spray paint, just like in the vid, ever since it came out.

OMG AWESOME!!!

This is so exciting!!! I feel so happy each time I think of "Bad" knowing that it was shot in my hometown and in a station I'm familiar with

Way Cool! :clapping: Michael deserves this. I'm glad that they are doing this!! People will indeed love it when completed. :D
Who's BAD..

Wow I can't wait to see the finished product - and maybe get to visit one day!

I can't wait to see this! It's gonna be awesome! :punk: Another reason why I love living in the city! :D

I think that this is great news. I do worry about the possibility of vandals though. Hopefully, they won't make it white. Is there anyway to get in contact with the artists/organizers and tell them don't leave any big white spaces?

Any big white spaces is an open invitation for vandals.

February 17, 2010 / News / Brooklyn Heights–Downtown
***** on tracko! King of Pop to adorn subway entrance
By Gersh Kuntzman
The Brooklyn Paper

33_08_jacksonstation01_z.jpg

Jackson-ville: This building above the Hoyt-Schermerhorn Street subway station will host a mural to Michael Jackson, who filmed his seminal “Bad” video on the platforms below ground.

32_34_michaeljacksonstation01_z.jpg

A scene from "Bad."

The MTA said, “Beat it,” but an effort to honor Michael Jackson at the Downtown Brooklyn subway station that he made famous is moving ahead without the transportation authority.

The Downtown Brooklyn Partnership revealed this week that it has a deal with the owner of the building that sits atop the Hoyt-Schermerhorn subway station to hang a mural dedicated to the late great King of Pop.

Jackson gave the grimy station international renown in the 1987 video for his song, “Bad,” in which he plays a gang member about to rumble with a rival clan headed by Wesley Snipes. The action in the Martin Scorsese-directed video takes place on the unused platform at the station.

The same platform was used for “Weird” Al Yankovic’s alternative version of the same song, “I’m Fat.”

Though both videos remain revered, after Jackson’s death last June, Councilwoman Letitia James (D-Fort Greene) beseeched the Metropolitan Transportation Authority to rename the station in honor of *****. When that failed, James asked for a plaque.

That effort was also rebuffed.

But on Tuesday, the New York Post reported that the Downtown Brooklyn Partnership had convinced the owner of 45 Hoyt St., which sits over the subway entrance, to cover one of its unsightly concrete walls with a mural of the singer.

“Tish had a point,” said Joe Chan, president of the Downtown Brooklyn Partnership. “This station played an important role in a notable moment in pop culture history. And that role can be leveraged to draw attention and visitors to Downtown Brooklyn. We were disappointed that the MTA could not acknowledge that.”

It is unclear what the mural will look like, though Chan said that the owner, the Manhattan-based Benenson Capital, has veto power. James said she’d push for a competition among Brooklyn artists, though she thinks Chan will favor a “name artist.”

Either way, she’s pleased.

“When this whole thing started, I got more e-mails than ever before, mostly from Europe,” she said. “They all said they’d come to Brooklyn and spend money to visit the station.”

The mural would not require MTA approval because the building itself is privately owned. Benenson Capital did not return repeated calls.

One thing, however, has not been left undecided: Yankovic will not be similarly honored.

“Something tells me that Michael Jackson would be a little more compelling of an international draw than ‘Weird’ Al,” Chan said.

http://www.brooklynpaper.com/stories/33/8/33_08_gk_*****_station.html

the link doesn't work cause they use the J.... word. If you want to catch the page you have to add the missing letters.

Reactions: Bee
That's awesome! I live in Brooklyn and will definitely check it out.

Long Live The King! :)

that's FIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIYah Baby MJJ making it happen again can't stop his rain :dance:

88703601.jpg

Oh my, look at all that graffiti. Is that an actual subway car? Was the graffiti problem really that bad (no pun intended) back in the 80's? I was around then but my memory fails me, heh. NYC was a different place then.

Last edited:
88703601.jpg

Oh my, look at all that graffiti. Is that an actual subway car? Was the graffiti problem really that bad (no pun intended) back in the 80's? I was around then but my memory fails me, heh. NYC was a different place then.

I don't know. I came in the late 90's. But I heard back then Brooklyn was a scarey place!:scare2:

Back