Michael Jackson To Unleash World Premiere Experience At Billboard Music Awards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not going through twenty pages (sorry about that)...hate to say it, but I thought this was crappy and the choreography sucked. Don't shoot me lol. It's obvious they used the impersonator, which is too bad. The good part is that it will be getting people buying the album. I still see great potential of this technology and it is really cool. I'd love to see them use old footage of Michael performing for a hologram.

Wasn't there a hologram at Brussels event? Bumper Snippet was at that event, he can talk about that hologram and Marc is a member here. He can do a full translation.

Dunno, could've been. I personally don't recall hearing about it or any other at a Xscape album party, I'll say that.

I simply don't understand how one can love Michael and yet not care for and not respect his approach to his music, his desire to have a hand in everything and release the songs as he wanted them to sound.

see the main issue here is the opinions. multiple different approaches can be stated here. Yes Michael was a perfectionist and he wanted to finish everything and songs weren't done until he said so. If that's the position/opinion someone takes then it means no albums or songs should be released at all and MJ's music career has ended the moment he died. Some might have opposing views. It doesn't mean they don't love or respect Michael's perfectionism but they don't want his music end. This is especially seen for artists that are lost way too soon - such as Tupaq, Biggie, Amy and yes Michael - when they had still too much to give. From that perspective posthumous releases are acceptable. I also believe that most people are aware of the difference between a posthumous album and an album released by the artist during their lifetime.. Similarly untouched songs versus the new remixes is debatable. Some will believe that MJ's songs being finished by producers aren't acceptable , some others might feel the demos need a little touch. For example I believe you said you loved Bad25 but the sales weren't even close to what is expected and none of the demos achieved what Xscape achieved. This album seems to be the best of two words, untouched demos + remixes.

I'm not saying which opinion is the correct one or the wrong one. I'm just trying to say I don't really agree with acting like there's only one way to approach to this situation. Simply that's not the case.

Because the approach to Xscape was a total opposite of that. The producers and Reid may claim that they love MJ, but in my book loving is respecting the person's views, standards and things he cared about in the first place.

well this becomes a slippery slope IMO. With this approach if we want we can find a fault in everything. For example you called Bad25 as awesome, I can argue that releasing unfinished demos that didn't get his approval was disrespectful. How can you prove Michael would be okay with that? How could I prove he wouldn't be? So again this is nothing but different personal opinions. While I respect everyone's subjective opinions about which project is awesome and which one is shit, those opinions aren't indisputable stuff that everyone needs to confirm.

I've come to a conclusion that most people who are casual fans don't really love Michael the person. They may love Michael the entertainer (most often OTW/Thriller, "before all the weirdness" era), they may love the image they have of that child prodigy that shined so bright and died so early, they may feel nostalgic, but that's not love in its true form. Love shows in actions, not in statements.

While I agree that many casual fans love "Michael the Entertainer" I disagree that their love is inferior or not true. for example just a few days ago one of my coworkers get excited when I took out Xscape CD from my bag (to play it in my office) and told me how much she loved Michael and she cried for days when Michael died. She only knows 1% of what we know and I'm sure she won't be able to tell an impersonator from MJ but I personally wouldn't discredit her love towards Michael as inferior or not true. She loves Michael in her own way and I feel Michael would have been happy with any kind of love.

As to likability... Michael saved dozens on lives, a person he found a transplant for recently had a baby, in his life Michael helped, consoled, and supported hundreds of people. That didn't win him enough likability at the time, but now someone else's music and an impersonator's performance do. How worthy is this likability? In sales numbers it may be worthy (but this comes down to money again), but in a historic sense it's cheap, hollow, it's worth nothing.

I wholeheartedly agree that I wish Michael's value was understood when he was alive and he had been treated way way better but I'm not going to discredit the positive effect of these projects. Short while ago I was reading about how MJ's Q scores (celebrity likeability score) was lowest in the history of Q scores after 2005 trial and how it improved and continue to improve. Sure it's not the same thing as Michael being alive but it also isn't "nothing". To the contrary it's quite something.

I mean at times I don't get some logic. Yes many things may not be perfect - simply because MJ isn't here anymore - but don't we want the positivity, increased likability, the top selling albums/tours for Michael?

Some of you are way too negative.
Everyone already knows it is not Michael Jackson. The purpose of the hologram is too increase sales of the song: "Slave to the hythm". As the technology improves;so will the holograms of Michael Jackson.

Last edited:
This pretty much sums my feelings towards the show tonight

tumblr_n5st77Jsyx1se4tn2o1_500.jpg

They got our hopes too high and well, this wasn't what lots of us expected AT ALL. :smilerolleyes:

:lol: Too funny!

As much as I think this lacked in so many ways, I'll say this, I think the comparison's being made by many (including myself earlier), between this "Michael Hologram" and the Tupac hologram is a slightly unfair. Even if they did manage to create a better holographic image that actually looked like it jumps off the screen it's imposed on, I still think they'd have to resort to some un-likable route like using an impersonator for mapping movements. Let's be real, Michael is pretty hard to capture 100% by anyone..Someone like Tupac who basically just bobbed his head and moved his arms in rhythm, and just walked around would be a lot easier to duplicate, as far as movements go. Michael's dancing is just too natural and crisp FOR HIM, that anyone else trying, like literally everyone else, never ends up looking quite the same. And I suppose this would be hard for to duplicate by piecing together movements as well. You'd literally have to stop and perfectly put together each step, it's hard to explain, but almost like a flip book pattern, it's what they do with cartoons and stuff when they make those. I imagine that
d be kind of difficult and quite the task for some guy sitting at a computer trying to make a perfectly "Michael-esque" hologram, but then again, they are professionals and that's what they're paid for.

Nobody said anything about a hologram being used at the Xscape album party. Like, at all...I'm more inclined to believe this is what he was referring to.

Either way, it needs to be cleared up, as rough translations just aren't going to do it.

Here's his post note he says first Xscape album presenting (I think he meant presentation hence album party maybe it's just the translation)

14214757831_862135b756_o.jpg

One hell of a EPIC resounding YES!!!! ...by today's standards.
It's a freaking hologram! what do ya expect?
See the crowd, some were in tears, they gave him a STANDING OVATION ,
Selfies eat your heart out!
a clip on you tube so worthy of replay ten times a 1000 times!
If you went in with high hopes of the ALIVE Michael Jackson performing ......good luck

Some of you are way too negative.
Everyone already knows it is not Michael Jackson. The purpose of the hologram is too increase sales of the song: "Slave to the hythm". As the tectology improvRes;so will the holograms of Michael Jackson.

The purpose of a hologram of MJ, dancing should primarily look like and dance like MJ, the technology IS here, people are using it. The CGI of the face wouldn't of been out of place a decade ago. With the effort they could recreate Michael pretty damn good.

Sorry for the double post back to back but want to add my two cents in. If they were trying to replicate Dangerous era Michael I'd say personally after comparing pics he looks closer to MJ from the history tour. Besides that my expectations were way too high cause of the article that said the footage was from newly discovered footage with LA ried and the reaction the media apparently gave off yesterday during the preview of the hologram. I'm just confused with what happened while I did appreaciate it I still thought it could have been better. Hopefully if they ever do this again in the future they can do a better job at it specifically the face. IMO the chin seemed the most off to me.

That was not MJs face attached to a impersonator's body like some ppl have claimed....
Look at compare lol

10371594_10202111986617354_3181671873020711955_n.jpg

10371918_10103692272039131_6689036533295659539_n.jpg

Here's his post note he says first Xscape album presenting (I think he meant presentation hence album party maybe it's just the translation)

14214757831_862135b756_o.jpg

Doesn't clear up much. Again, we're just guessing what he means by going off a translation, which for some reason are always rough. Hopefully someone who understands French can clear it up soon.

Judging off the pic posted above, the nose is off, the mouth (which we already knew), and just overall head shape. The eyebrows too, still think it's CGI though in the face, looks too clean to be natural make up .

The performance itself was pretty meh, I wish they had a proper dance for it. I did like the part when the strings kicked in and it was just MJ on the floor, the music especially... weow.

Technologically though, this is pretty cool! I did enjoy it overall, it was far from perfect and it's nothing compared to MJ's real life performances though. Would I like to see something like this again? Let's wait for the technology to look better and for MJ's model to look more realistic too.

I don't know why some of you thought they'd use footage LA Reid shot in the studio, I doubt the footage would be even high quality enough.

Last edited:
Doesn't clear up much. Again, we're just guessing what he means by going off a translation, which for some reason are always rough. Hopefully someone who understands French can clear it up soon.

Judging off the pic posted above, the nose is off, the mouth (which we already knew), and just overall head shape. The eyebrows too, still think it's CGI though in the face, looks too clean to be natural make up .

Yeah hopefully a french fan might be able to clear this up for us. His chin is off too IMO waaay off but then again the overall structure is off!

Last edited:
After a few hours of thinking about it and watching it again, I just wish it looked more like Michael. I don't know a lot about the technology but I do appreciate the effort. I have never seen something like that before. It's new to me.

I hope people don't boycott the album. It's great and the music should appreciated. It's fine to not to like the hologram thing and what you feel could have been better. Don't let that ruin you experience with this release

Technologically though, this is f**king impressive! I was actually like :eek: when I saw him interact with the real-life dancer at the beginning.

I am not sure there were any real Dancers on stage at any time, I think the whole thing was 2d projected :/

I watch it over again it was good but i was hoping that it did look like Michael some of the moves was okay am sure their will work on it some more maybe 2yrs and 6 months was not enough but with the release of Xscape Estate had to go with it. Yes i agree history was made.

It's a nice effort. That's all I'm gonna say.

The general public loves it. A LOT! Can't wait for the hologram technology to be developed better.

After all the 2pac hologram was also an impersonator. And coming to MJ impersonators, no one can replicate his dance.

The hologram didn't look that much like Michael at all.. but the realism of it all.. WOW! are we sure they took it from unseen footage of slave to rhythm also? all in all, i think it was pretty decent!

Micheals dead. All the bitching around here. Pepple need to accept that. Micheal wasn't going to be there tonight.
I LOVED THIS. I thought it was awesome.
I don't know what people were expecting. This is exactly what I thought it would be. No the dancing wasn't as crisp as Micheal would perform it but that was never going to be the case.
For whst it was and for what I was expecting I thought it was great and easily the best thing on the show.

The performance itself was pretty meh, I wish they had a proper dance for it. I did like the part when the strings kicked in and it was just MJ on the floor, the music especially... weow.

Technologically though, this is f**king impressive! I was actually like :eek: when I saw him interact with the real-life dancer at the beginning. I did enjoy it overall, it was far from perfect and it's nothing compared to MJ's real life performances though. Would I like to see something like this again? Let's wait for the technology to look better and for MJ's model to look more realistic too.

I don't know why some of you thought they'd use footage LA Reid shot in the studio, I doubt the footage would be even high quality enough.

Like Birchey said, there are no real, live dancers on stage with "Michael". Watching the first time I thought there was too. But after looking at it numerous times already, it becomes clear they're all on imposed on the screen with him. There's a camera shot where you could actually see the black edges of the screen, and right behind the black edges you can see the top halves of the live band playing along, one guy is on drums and another is on bass I think. Looking at that shot, you can see the dancers are part of the screen.

The real dancers are at the bottom of the stairs (the actual stage the presenters stand on.), and in the aisles.

Micheals dead. All the bitching around here. Pepple need to accept that. Micheal wasn't going to be there tonight.
I LOVED THIS. I thought it was awesome.
I don't know what people were expecting. This is exactly what I thought it would be. No the dancing wasn't as crisp as Micheal would perform it but that was never going to be the case.
For whst it was and for what I was expecting I thought it was great and easily the best thing on the show.

None of this has anything to do with people not accepting Michael being gone. It has to do with it simply being half assed and crappy, in many's minds. And people are allowed to voice they're opinions on this, good or bad. Good you liked it, others didn't and thought it sucked. Accept that.

The hologram didn't look that much like Michael at all.. but the realism of it all.. WOW! are we sure they took it from unseen footage of slave to rhythm also? all in all, i think it was pretty decent!

There is no footage of Michael ever performing Slave.
No matter what LA says. Why on earth would there be footage of any use of him performing (not recording) a song that wasn't even released?
I dunno what he was talking about, but this incorporated no MJ pictures of video.

MjsLovelyOne88;4008911 said:
This pretty much sums my feelings towards the show tonight

tumblr_n5st77Jsyx1se4tn2o1_500.jpg

They got our hopes too high and well, this wasn't what lots of us expected AT ALL. :smilerolleyes:

Reposted for truth.

kreen;4008796 said:
HIStory tour says hi...

This should be fun.

Feel free to post Michael's lackluster performance(s). I will review and let you know if I believe Michael's performance(s) was better or worse than the lackluster performance I saw on Billboard by whatever that was.

I watched this experience on HDTV with my own eyes. It was touted as being an experience whether at the MGM Grand Arena or from a television so, there was no difference in how it was viewed.

No one wants to be deceived and many were because of the way Estate/Sony hype this experience. I do not believe anyone expected to see Michael however; it was expected to be a technological wonder because that is what was promised through the hype. Many fans here did believe this would be similar to seeing Michael performing live and those posts are in this thread unless of course the posters have since edited them.

This was not the only way to promote Xscape and I would suggest Estate/Sony stop while they are ahead. The monies spent on this experience AND the press' reviews - the same press that would not celebrate a living Michael but, will celebrate whatever that was on Billboard's stage - should have gone to other inventive ways to continue to support the CD because that is where Michael’s art is.

Estate/Sony must understand Michael cannot promote this cd and any attempts to deceive others and themselves into believing he can somehow promote it as was done at Billboard (as per Branca's statement below) are destined to fail. Past posthumous releases did not fail because Michael could not somehow promote them; they failed because they were mediocre products. Please do not destroy the success of the first substantial posthumous release with these ridiculous, amateurish stunts like the one I saw on Billboard.

It's so important to experience Michael Jackson in a live setting," Jackson's lawyer John Branca explained of how the idea came about. "This is something where we wanted a live performance in front of a live audience, and nothing speaks to that more than an awards show.

Again, I am asking Estate/Sony to please stop while they are ahead and more importantly, stop Branca from publicly speaking. Michael Jackson was not there and he will not be anywhere physically again. Spend the money next time giving fans a concert performance dvd with appropriate quality.

Last edited:
i wished they used a 2009 era mike. would have looked more recent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back