Michael Jackson To Unleash World Premiere Experience At Billboard Music Awards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gee, I can't believe I've spent most of the morning browsing through this thread :)

I'm of the opinion that the "hologram" was a very good publicity stunt. It generated positive reviews all over the place, so it must have met it's purpose. And it was a nice way to introduce Michael to a new generation.

Let's not forget that it must have been made for a live audience, not to be put on rerun and scrutinized. How many of you have been to a live concert, no matter whether to a Michael concert or not?! People are so overexcited to just be there, that they don't even know where to look first (I know I was), hence "missing" some of the moves, gestures, expressions, etc.

Btw, to me, it looks like the History-era Michael (it is, of course, a computer generated image, so it is understandable that it doesn't look exactly like him).

Perhaps, it's time for a poll about the performance? What do think? This will help to quantify where the members stand

If done correctly you wont get a robotic looking dancer, 2d motion tracking and careful manual skills would match up the animation with Michael, you would literally get Michael's exact movements. They must have so much hours of footage to work from, including static cam studio rehearsals for sure. Thing is once again they went cheap, but hyped it up to be big. it was basically a music video of an impersonator and some backing dancers projected onto a screen, might aswell of used a standard white projection screen :(

You're expecting way too much.

Do you think Sony would have thrown money into this? Or into actual promotion of the album, and creation of the album?

People have moved on from complaining about the remixed album, to complaining about a hologram that isn't Michael Jackson. Well, Michael isn't here. Again, do you expect him to be resurrected from the dead?

Nothing Sony does will ever bring Michael back, so quit complaining. You got THIS. Be happy with it. Or watch actual videos of Michael dancing, and be happy with that.

Re: Details Details Details

I just wish they gave the face model as much loving care and attention to this.

I really understand this Birchey but maybe just give it some time? And They might get it as perfect as your siggy :)

Also I am not employed by MJJC, just hang around doing "staff" like things..........you need one grumpy guy on the staff right and I don't mind openly discussing myself on the forums, we shouldn't really lets get back on topic, please Smooth PM Gaz if theres a problem or PM me if you want to.

Sorry buddy, it's not going to work that way.

You are putting your agenda out there for all to read - even opening yet another anti-awards/album/album cover/dvd thread, just to make sure everybody gets it - and I will defend against your agenda in an open forum.

I posted your comment, about everything post 2009 has been screwed up (seriously EVERYTHING??), so I do not see how you can possibly have an unbiased opinion. Your starting point is too way off!

That, coupled with your privilaged position as staff, puts you in a 'nice' position to influence others.

I believe what you are trying to do, along with 4/5 others, should be challenged and discussed openly.

Your comments are not coming across to me as 'discussion, they are littered with little digs and sly comments/'jokes'.

That all my opinion of course. Other might share it, I don't know, but they may be less willing to challenge 'staff' than I am.

Certain people have an AGENDA, thinly vailed behind a love for MJ, that much is clear to me.
Who are you to question any other fan's love for MJ? And just because they have a different opinion than you? You are way out of line.

I know I expected more because of the way it was promoted and the way everyone was talking about it before hand. Can you honestly tell me you would of been as excited about this knowing what it was going to be like? I'm pretty sure most people expected more than what we got, look at the excitement before hand. All of that excitement wasn't for a video of an impersonator.

It's ok though, I just won't expect much for next time.

Taken from this article "Michael Jackson Hologram Rocks Billboard Music Awards: Go Behind the Scenes", http://www.billboard.com/articles/e...chael-jackson-hologram-billboard-music-awards

"The Talauega brothers, Rich and Tone, were brought on right after the new year and they started to draw up dance moves for Jackson and the other dancers in the film. Their involvement with Jackson dates back to the 1995 MTV Video Music Awards; they also choreographed the HIStory tour in 1997 and if one had to guess, the image of Michael used in the performance appears to be from that era based on his hair and clothing.

"We knew we didn't need to go so far left field with his dance moves -- we just kept it within his world," Rich Talauega says. "Its just the way you reconfigure his steps so it looks different. You're still speaking the same language, it's just a different dialect."

Tone Talauega, who was still in high school when he started working with Jackson, says they studied the singer's moves and had small things adjusted - the angle of a hand, the tilt of his head. The performance is "classic Michael, but we put our spice on it," he says.

Demand for the Jackson hologram was considerable, but in the end Branca and the estate felt it needed to be shown with a live audience.

"It's so important to experience Michael Jackson in a live setting," Branca says. "This is something where we wanted a live performance in front of a live audience and nothing speaks to that more than an awards show.""

Sorry buddy, it's not going to work that way.

You are putting your agenda out there for all to read - even opening yet another anti-awards/album/album cover/dvd thread, just to make sure everybody gets it - and I will defend against your agenda in an open forum.

I posted your comment, about everything post 2009 has been screwed up (seriously EVERYTHING??), so I do not see how you can possibly have an unbiased opinion. Your starting point is too way off!

That, coupled with your privilaged position as staff, puts you in a 'nice' position to influence others.

I believe what you are trying to do, along with 4/5 others, should be challenged and discussed openly.

Your comments are not coming across to me as 'discussion, they are littered with little digs and sly comments/'jokes'.

That all my opinion of course. Other might share it, I don't know, but they may be less willing to challenge 'staff' than I am.

CONSPIRACY

Yeah we discussed it, and planned it with military precision, we come to brainwash YOU ALL ha ha. BUT wait ONE HERO challenges the staff..............YAY.

No seriously I been on this forum since like forever, no one listens to me anyhow. but seriously mate these are just fans opinions, everyones are different. You complained about these "negative" comments, so I made a thread for people to discuss them, to try and keep them out of the "yay" threads and you complain about that. Look just chill man, its all cool

It's quite interesting. I go onto news websites, reading articles about this story and the majority of people seem to quite like it! Many people also said that while they found it awesome, they wouldn't really want any more performances like this.

:)

Last edited:
When I woke up today my facebook was filled with posts about MJ hologram.

People I know are not MJ fans shared the video and liked it. - To them it looked like MJ and felt like a MJ performance.

ALSO - Gaffa, EB.dk, BT.dk - and other BIG newspapers had the MJ performance on top of their websites - with videos so people can se AND HEAR the performance!

This performance, as little as I liked it at first, IS HUGE PROMOTION !!! What a great move. It really makes people talk. And some are mesmerized by the technollogy and the MJ performance, some say it did not look like MJ - BUT pretty much everyone I have seen agrees that the song rocks!!! - And if people like the song the whole event has worked perfectly!! - Promote the song and the album. Mission accomplished. Great!

Even if some fans do not like the performance, it has done everything it should! - Hope and think sales rise a little after all the buzz this has created!!

I think they made a mistake in hyping this performance up in the lead up, I believe it may have given some fans an unrealistic expectation. As far as the face goes to me it looks like a Michael that I would expect to see on a computer game and perhaps that is as good as it gets on this technology, I don't know I'm not an expert, but given what it is then unless someone shows me how much better that could have been done then I can accept it and appreciate it.

I see some people on twitter and it's almost like they were expecting a clone to come out.

Love STTR and I'm glad it was showcased.

Billboard Music Awards 2014: Michael Jackson hologram steals the show
The late Michael Jackson steals the show at the 2014 Billboard Music Awards through a computer-generated hologram performance of him dancing and singing

8:40AM BST 19 May 20142

Although there were nearly 20 A-list performances at the 2014 Billboard Music Awards, it was the late Michael Jackson who garnered the biggest cheer of the evening at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas.
A computer-generated performance of the King of Pop dancing and singing a new song, Slave to the Rhythm, off his posthumous album Xscape prompted an emotional standing ovation from the crowd.
Xscape, released on May 2, features eight previously unreleased songs from Jackson that were recorded between 1983 and 1999.
Jackson, one of the most influential artists in music, having sold 1 billion records worldwide, died in 2009 at age 50 in Los Angeles from an overdose of the anaesthetic Propofol.
The powerful drug was given to him by his personal physician Conrad Murray while he was rehearsing for a series of 50 comeback concerts in London.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/...Michael-Jackson-hologram-steals-the-show.html

My radio station that i listen too Tom J 101.3 their love it he got a tech message and it said my 8year daugther is confuse she thought Michael died that is how well this was recived ppls love it. IMO The hologram of Michael Jackson did what it was suppose to do and that is to push Xscape to number all over the world and i am please. :clap:

After watching a video from the audience it seems to me that for the public there it was really GREAT experience !!! According that video the hologram looks more like History era Michael, IMO.

Ah, just when I wanted to watch it again the link doesn’t work…

Let me just say this, my initial reaction to the performance was largely due to the hype that surrounded the performance. It did,nt live up to it and hence my disappointment. It is what it is, glad to see that the media reviews are good and people seem to like it. With that said I feel no need to add anything further to this discussion.

Back to enjoying Xscape and all things Michael.:)

I think they made a mistake in hyping this performance up in the lead up, I believe it may have given some fans an unrealistic expectation. As far as the face goes to me it looks like a Michael that I would expect to see on a computer game and perhaps that is as good as it gets on this technology, I don't know I'm not an expert, but given what it is then unless someone shows me how much better that could have been done then I can accept it and appreciate it.

I see some people on twitter and it's almost like they were expecting a clone to come out.

Love STTR and I'm glad it was showcased.

Hi :yes: I agree with you LastTear . I wasn't sure what to think as it didnt look like Michael as much as I thought it was going to , I'm no expert either on these tech things but like you say unless someone can show you how much better it can be done i accept it and appreciate it , it was amazing to watch !!!! Michaels music was being heard and everyone was cheering and celebrating our Michaels music and that is a wonderful thing :yes: I must admit that's what meant more to me :heart:

Last edited:
I LOVED IT! LOVE IT! LOVE IT! It was sureal. I could not help but cry. Love you Michael. YOu are so missed.

Why is everyone calling this a hologram of Michael Jackson and praising it? It wasn't him. Not his face, not his body, not his moves. It was a motion captured impersonator. I feel this has been a very disrespectful ordeal. Leaves a very bad taste in my mouth.

Re: Your choice people :)

If I see these images in games displayed all the time all over the net. [and this is all custom made] and these are examples of how a fan might view Michael's image. Then Im sure his Estate could make some changes to details :lol: maybe they are teasing us? plus testing the waters...There is plenty of Time to improve.

For me, last night It was about the concept of Virtual entertainment and the reaction of the audience. Maybe this time, for the first time of being introduced to Virtual Michael I'll call it -VMJ , It was never meant to be detailed. Not yet . Not for a show. But above all I liked it [more so fascinated] Plus I have never seen a hologram sit down. Nice touch that VMJ sat in throne. I would like to see how they made it. I do embrace this idea yet would expect some major improvements for any possible video short films /close ups/ tour concepts .

MTS2_natef005_1074012_V2-3.jpg

MTS2_Vera_Marina_965624_snapshot_376f507d_976f5c1a.jpg

MTS2_Vera_Marina_950369_snapshot_37524a82_d758282d.jpg

w-214h-220-1293669.jpg

1250459141_michael%20jackson.jpg

MTS2_Vera_Marina_1002248_forever2.JPG

Michael Jackson sadly isn't here anymore so therefore

large.jpg

IT'S ALL THERE IS. :huggy:

I've just managed to go through a few pages of this thread... Wanted to give my personal opinion on this one but I need to start with another thing.

Brichey, I second you. It's sad but after releasing a really good posthumous album with a great response from fans and critics, they give us a performance that was ment to be "Michael Jackson like you've never seen him before!". Hmmm... I'm sure that it was Mike that I've never seen before cuz this hologram, sadly, had nothing to do with Michael Jackson. His face was something like a wax figure or in best case an impersonators' face. First look and I was like "realy...?". His moves were constantly repeated and the bunch of them was really peaky. I counted only one move (that was repeated like 3-4 times) that looks almost like MJ used to do it.

I would probably say nothing if they didn't make so much noise and promised us so much with the announcement of the performance. But if they claimed that it would be something huge and came up with something like this, I have to say I'm disappointed. And here, Birchey is absolutely right. If they would want to make something mindblowing, paying tribute to the King, they wouldn't regret money on this. Sadly, it was done only to gain more attention to just released album with some 'cheap trick', furthermore, gain more money. Nothing to do with a true tribute to the King.

But as someone said, they've got time, they've got technology, they've got money... If they also have a real will to keep MJ's legacy alive with things like this, they can do much better. And as I said in other thread, if done properly, with heart put in the project, I would be for a hologram tour. I've never been able to see Mike live and it would be something I would definitely won't regret money on.

Why is it even being called a hologram? That's what's confusing me. It was just a video on a screen.

I'm struggling to see some peoples reasoning here. Yes, there is only one Michael Jackson. No, they cannot resurrect him from the dead. No, it will never be the same again. So it's perfectly cool to trot out a projection of an impersonator with 1/10000000000th of his talent with a dodgy CGI head and make him perform to songs MJ has never performed live before? Couldn't they just, you know, not do that? What would we like them to do? Well, not do it at all. I'd be quite happy with that :lol:

This has nothing to do with the Xscape album which I actually think is very good. I have no delusions that it's actually a real MJ studio album, but I do like some of the remixed demo's and I love all the original demo's.

Just no more fake MJ's please.

Why is everyone calling this a hologram of Michael Jackson and praising it? It wasn't him. Not his face, not his body, not his moves. It was a motion captured impersonator. I feel this has been a very disrespectful ordeal. Leaves a very bad taste in my mouth.

Agree, and I also get annoyed when I read: "Michael Jackson's 'Love never felt so good' or Michael Jackson's this or Michael Jackson's that.
When did he ever put his signature of approval on any of this? Until then it's not Michael Jackson's.

Call it want you want, but not Michael Jackson's.

I can't be exited or happy about any of this, but I think a lot of the emotions of fans (in some eyes 'negative'emotion) has a lot to do with a feeling of some sort of anger that he isn't here anymore.

I feel like I should avoid this thread, I don't want to sound like a complete cynic. I just really, really don't get it. You can go see MJ impersonators in Las Vegas, you can hire them for your wedding. And yet last night an impersonator got a standing ovation and constant praise in the press. What's the difference? Hype? Marketing? Because the moves and the face sure as hell weren't anything special. I feel that making Michael's music available is understandable... But making his *body*, his image, a commodity? Something to manipulate and mold and exploit, making it move and sing what you want it to? That is ****ED UP and disturbing and I will never change that stance. Sorry guys.

I can't believe some fans are actually defending this shit. "Michael made history", really?? Michael would have never EVER agree to something so half-assed and embarrassing being associated with him. He was upset about the Who Is It video and didn't make it official because a body double was used there - and you could hardly tell. But this? An impersonator dancing to a butchered song - way to honor the artist's legacy.

I'm so done with this album, and its promotion. Sony is HOPELESS. That deal in 2010 was the biggest mistake that was made since Michael's death. And I was of better opinion of the MJ estate. Cirque show was a good tribute, BAD 25 was awesome, but how did they then stoop to THIS?

well said.
i'm not happy with this album so far.
1. 20 euro for 8 demos is much too high.
2. a version only with the demos on it is not available.
3. the dvd is useless. michael jackson footage should have been on it.
4. the 2014 remixes are just crap. a few are at least hearable. (everyone have his own opinion on that)
5. the vinyl only contains the 2014 remixes.
6. they used an impersonator for the billboard awards.
7. the single cd of 'love never felt so good' is released much too late. should have been in april.

This opens the door to whatever the Estate wants. Make MJ promote things in a commercial on TV? Done. Make MJ go on tour and perform songs he never really liked? Done. Make MJ do whatever they want because they can? Why not. They've got the technology and now unfortunately they've got the praise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back