Michael Jackson’s Vanity Fair Cover voted the Best in magazines 100 yr History

qbee

Proud Member
Nov 22 , 2013
The votes are in and our dear readers have deemed Michael Jackson’s 1989 Vanity Fair appearance, photographed by Annie Leibovitz, the best cover in the history of the magazine.

Considering the King of Pop’s competition—hundreds of Hollywood stars, heartthrobs galore, and gorgeous Art Deco illustrations from another era—we’d say a celebration is in order. As a thank-you to all the Jackson fans who voted, we’ve put together a collection of moments in the rising star’s career that led up to that legendary cover. Click below to see the performer rise from 12-year-old musical prodigy to unstoppable stage presence.

http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2013/11/michael-jackson-photos-career
1989-12-michael-jackson_650.jpg

100 Years of Vanity Fair: To vote for Michael Jackson Cover
-
Go to Men in the header and then 1989... click on thumbnail and then vote

http://www.vanityfair.com/100-years-of-vanity-fair/covers

100 Years of Vanity Fair
Vote for your Favorite Cover Of All Time

Sort through iconic images shot by photographers such as Annie Leibovitz, Bruce Weber, Mario Testino, Norman Jean Roy, Herb Ritts, and Helmut Newton and drawn by illustrators like Miguel Covarrubias, Paolo Garretto, and William Cotton. Then vote on your top pick for a chance to win a stay at the London Edition, sponsored by Edition Hotels.

Re: VOTE for Michael Jackson Cover - 100 Years of Vanity Fair

Vanity Fair is a glorified tabloid, nothing more. The articles they wrote about MJ were aweful, full of the most horrid lies (Maureen Orth...) Sorry, but I'm not going to click on their website and participate in any game or competition they do.

I voted. It seems the Twilight fans are voting like crazy - the covers with Robert Patinson and Kristen Stweart are getting the most votes so far. MJ is the 8 cover in the main category and the 3rd in the men category.

Voted.

Voted.

Voted -
I love this picture - French mag Paris-Match used it on its cover on june 2009 :heart:

I don't get this obsession with "Twilight". But it's beating everyone with votes, We can vote everyday so let's try to get it No. 1

Actually, I find it easier if you go to "sort by votes" first.
:) Mikey is number 2 in the Men section, and number 5 in the "all" section.

Michael and Marilyn should be no 1 and 2. Have Patterson and that woman from Twilight got that many fans that they are voted first and second positions?

If all the fans who viewed Healthy living magazine article about MJ (200,000 views) vote once, MJ would take the lead and noone would catch him :cheeky:

That site only allows voting once a day, or is there a way around it?

Keep voting:), he's number 4 overall now, and number 2 in the men's section,(but nowhere near that twilight fellow )

3rd position right now.. we must bring him on top.

voted, Michael deserves to be number one. greatest and most loving human to ever walk this earth, and an iconic pose. hope he comes out the winner

It's true what respect said about that hag, bitch Maurine Orth and those malicious articles but it's my favorite magazine cover Michael appeared on and the whole photoshoot session is absolutely gorgeous. That's the only reason I'm voting.

I just voted, but the number of votes did not changed. :wtf:

Michael is 3rd :clapping:

Seemingly VF allows you to vote more than once a day if you have a break between the votes. I voted this morning and then again after about an hour, vote was accepted whereas VF won't allow votes after votes:cheeky:

Yes, I noticed that too! Also, I voted from home, work, phone and ipad. :)

^^ It actually let me to vote again after about 15 min break :D

Vanity Fair is a glorified tabloid, nothing more. The articles they wrote about MJ were aweful, full of the most horrid lies (Maureen Orth...) Sorry, but I'm not going to click on their website and participate in any game or competition they do.

I understand your point, but I got around my dislike of VF when I started thinking how pissed off they must be if Michael wins, despite all their hard work trying to degrade Michae and lies about him yet he still wins and is loved :D

I don't get this obsession with "Twilight". But it's beating everyone with votes, We can vote everyday so let's try to get it No. 1

Neither do I, who told any of those two they can act! Their movies are an embarrassment for the real vampire genre!

Pattinson and Stewart are too far away from Michael, keep voting guys.

^^ you can vote if you leave few minutes between the votes.

Michael needs 10 thousand votes to beat Kristin Stewart
vote-1.gif

Ahem, I've been voting every 5 minutes with internet explorer as my browser. Michael's average votes per hour are 120+...Robert P is like 10/hour and Kristen is literally ONE per hour and sometimes NO votes at all.

It is VERY possible to get Michael into second place in less than 24hrs if we keep a pace of 100 votes/hour.

He is NOW about 7,000 votes away from Kristen Stewart!

Lori Goldstein, stylist for the 1989 Vanity Fair shoot, excerpt from her book “Style is Instinct”

http://lacienegasmiled.tumblr.com/post/66015631972/lori-goldstein-stylist-for-the-1989-vanity-fair
tumblr_mvr7eerBpe1qfj1o3o1_400.jpg

One day my agent called and told me that I was going to be styling Michael Jackson on a shoot with Annie Leibovitz.

I was beside myself - and that was an understatement. Michael was, and will probably always be, the biggest pop star in the history of music. Just his image alone has been ingrained in the minds of people all over the globe.

Because Michael was a bigger than life talent, Annie and I thought it would be interesting to go the other way - to dress him down, to show him unadorned. Annie had seen images of him onstage in a white t shirt layered with a white shirt on top = the look was clean and simple - and we took our inspiration from that.

When he arrived on the set in LA, I was completely starstruck. He came with his own crew and brought his own wardrobe. It took some time before he was able to let his guard down, particularly about wearing the clothes I had chosen for him. In the end, though, he trusted Annie, and Annie trusted me.

At one point while we were shooting, the idea to open up his t shirt came up. I remember taking a pair of scissors and cutting the t shirt directly on him, right on his chest. And it was that picture that became the magazine cover.

He sang for us that afternoon on a closed set for more than forty five minutes. It was one of the most memorable shoots of my life. I will never forget it, because Michael was everything.

Back