Michael - The Great Album Debate

love is magical

Proud Member
Re: Despite the fact that MJ probably would have never wanted this album to be released........

In terms of Ne-Yo and Will.I.am, I don't think there's much to fault about them. Because even though they don't look out for the benefit of Michael's fans, they at least look out for the benefit of Michael's perfectionist mindset. Which is quite honourable in its own right.

Whether the album brings comfort to people or not, I doubt it's any of their concern, since they have relatively no connection to any of these people. Thus, their loyalty will most probably stay with Michael, and him only.

How can people say that Michael would have wanted this album released as well? It goes both ways. No one here is personally or spiritually, him.

It's hard to say how Will.I.am's or Neyo's opinion would have differed if they were part of the album (or if they would have accepted an offer to take part in the album in the first place). Before such an event has occured though, it is meaningless to judge them for something they haven't done.

What exactly is doing "right" by Michael? Even in terms of doing "right", it's still very subjective. Are we looking out for his legacy, his financial situation, or the man's own preferences? How do we even know his preferences in the first place?

I agree in the sense that, had the Estate been financially unstable, I'm sure he would have allowed for the release of those unreleased songs, as long as it helps to keep the Estate's finances healthy until his children take over.

However, I don't agree with the notion that if the songs weren't meant for release, he would have destroyed them. As far as we know, perhaps he kept demos of unreleased songs for future references? Perhaps he needed them for future times of dispute over copyright? I think the Mexico deposition, and the demos of Streetwalker and Dangerous should be sufficient proof of why Michael had to keep the unreleased songs, if not for the benefit of his children.

Agree with everything you said here. :agree:

Sophielo

Proud Member
Re: Despite the fact that MJ probably would have never wanted this album to be released........

We will never know for sure as Michael isn't here to tell people what he wanted. I don't think Ne Yo and will.i.am meant to cause any harm. They are entitled to their opinions as much as we all are. But as was rightly said is that Michael wanted his children to be financially stable for the rest of their lives.

Ohood

Proud Member

The only thing we can all be 100% sure that Michael wanted was for his children to be looked after financially as well as physically therefore as he was not a stupid man we can also sure he knew that it would mean releasing the music he left behind in order to pay off the debts and secure their financial future. It stands to reason that it will not be the way he may have released it had he lived but the songs were left for the benefit of his children (not us) and everyone needs to do the best they can with the songs left.

I also feel that if the songs were not meant for release they would either of been destroyed or he would have left instructions forbidding the release but there would have been no way of adequately providing for the childrens future there are only so many times people will buy rereleases of old songs they already have.

Exactly , the Estate Excuoters(Mcline and Branca ) were chosen for this purpose !

*Navi*

Proud Member

This thread is drifting away from the intention I opened it for.

Of course the children come first, there is no discussion about that or will ever be.

I don't talk about the loyalty of anybody towards MJ. Those people are concerned about the album release and Michaels wishes? If they do they have to think about the fans too, we were very important to MJ.

I forgot to log in with my profile (MJBlanket). This one is my husband's profile. Hope there won't arise any missunderstandings. L.O.V.E.

marebear

Proud Member

What did Neyo say?

I don't know what Michael would want but he created an estate for a reason and he must of thought about what would happen to his work if something happened to him. I have a hard time believing he never thought about it. He saw what happened after Elvis, John Lennon, Tupac etc after they died.

L

lom kit

If Michael had never wanted, any music to be released after his dead, he would have done a clause in his will, all of his music left-overs to be destroyed or explicit no music to be released (demos, finished or unfinished songs), in case of dead.
If Michael problably may not wanted to released music to be the way it is released (soundwise), it's a different thing.
He made a will and secured everything. And I don't think he forgot about the most important thing in his possession, his music.
So I think everyone should stop with that "Michael never had wanted..." thing, fans and celebrities. It just sounds laughable.

powernoize

Proud Member
in my honest opinion, i thought i would pose an interesting question. i for one think michael's voice is the vocal for every track on the new cd. why wouldn't they replace the 2 songs that most are saying are not michael (breaking news, monster) with the shitload of other tracks that are in the vaults? there is not a shortage of material . it just makes no sense. i mean and if one wants to make the argument that they're focusing on his last recordings, well, Behind The Mask clearly sounds like an old michael vocal take.

MJ~And~Me

Proud Member
look the point is this michael was someone who promoted his albums in a BIG way he did anything he could to promote it in a big way or a small way but even if it was a small promotion because he has got a big fanbase that everything was huge so if he was someone that just let his albums come out then i dont think there would be a big row about it :no:

powernoize

Proud Member
i really wish they would put out some of the older material. mottola had stated that sony had dozens and dozens of old songs. by the way, i find it quite sad that people are already posting fake songs again after this release, eg: Michael ii 2011....really sad.

botdf

Proud Member
It's a learning experience - we all learn from our mistakes. Certain subset of fans reacted to the sound of certain songs. Sony and producers will take that info in. They can choose two paths:

(1) Learn from the experience - take the feedback - lay off the melodyne/autotune - let his voice speak for itself

(2) ignore the criticism and repeat the same mistakes. Or ignore the criticism and take it for what it is, feedback, and ignore the feedback.

It's really up to them, Sony and the producers. Read what's at the back of the Michael CD. Read the "disclaimer". They could keep printing that on the next 3 CDs. They could keep experimenting. We're not beta testers we're listening to the final results. They don't have "test screenings" like in the movie industry. Maybe they should???

Sophielo

Proud Member
Lessons have been learnt for the next album. We don't want overproduced vocals with melodyne etc. Let the voice do the speaking. Touch up the songs by all means but as much as I love the album I admit it was way too overproduced. The Much Too Soon leak was better than the album version in my opinion. They don't need all that layering.

powernoize

Proud Member
i agree with all of the above, they shouldn't tinker with the vocals. i simply stated that i beleive it's michael's voice (tampered with in some instances more than others) and not some impostor. the impostor scenario made no sense to me because if it were fake it could easily be replaced with a real one.

peggy

Proud Member
Sony get your act together!!!!!!!

Where is the promo in countries!!!!!!!!
Where is the airplay on the radio of a new single !!!!!!!!! (does sony pay for some airplay yes or no????) this is my big question to all the fans because this is the biggest problem which sabottage all mj albums in recent years
invincible no airplay on radio stations.
Release a uptempo single and make sure you can reach the younger teenagers
with a proper video clip not a old clip of images!!! Sony can do better than this!!!
Promote than you will have money sony this is what you really want of mj not the art. But if you want big money you have to invest it just like in the thriller days
invest in a clip(like mj did with thriller) oh yeah you didn"t support that too
you were to cheap than too. Investment and support an artist with great ideas and you will have much more profit you fools at sony!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So thats cleared that"s the real problem at sony they don"t invest. Just like in the 80 music isn't selling industry is dead. Sony than you must be creative invest!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

peggy

Proud Member
Re: Sony get your act together!!!!!!!

Sorry i don't want to be negative again just like in the invincible period.
But i want a fair change for michael to succeed. And i want michael to reach the younger fans again by his music and that means the new stuff too and this aint happening
because Sony isn't investing enough for now. They now the album is selling now
but what happens in 2 or 3 weeks time do they take their responsebility and promote
the artist isn't there to promote the album with performances
so the approach en thinking of Sony must be different this time around.
Sorry but i have a bad feeling and i don't want to be negative hmmmm.sorry.

larry141094

Proud Member

Sony don't advertise one artist more than another, and the fact that he got the biggest poster in the world that was visible to anyone coming in or out of heathrow airport is saying something...

dupsy

Proud Member

^^that only for UK residents and travellers transiting through heathrow
The media ignored the ''giant poster '' and therefore generated little publicity.
They should have used the money for the giant poster for primetime ads and instore posters

larry141094

Proud Member

^^that only for UK residents and travellers transiting through heathrow
The media ignored the ''giant poster '' and therefore generated little publicity.
They should have used the money for the giant poster for primetime ads and instore posters

Theres a reason for that... Sony is NOT targeting the US for sales, the UK and Europe are it's target, and for good reason, generally in the US Michael is hated or not even thought of, and the fact remains Sony doesn't promote anyone as much as Michael... And as if he needs it, there is a TV ad here in australia for it, and it only just started airing, we have bought 35,000 which is a pretty good start

Memefan

Proud Member

Sony, under Tommy Mottola, used payola to get their acts airplays (the most famous and controversial is how Mariah Carey broke onto the music scene, many of her 18 #1s came during the payola era)....but nowadays, we don't hear much of that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Payola

Radio audience has fallen to an all time low...

People mostly use their ipods & youtube.

Travis

Proud Member

Sony, under Tommy Mottola, used payola to get their acts airplays (the most famous and controversial is how Mariah Carey broke onto the music scene, many of her 18 #1s came during the payola era)....but nowadays, we don't hear much of that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Payola

Radio audience has fallen to an all time low...

People mostly use their ipods & youtube.

So true. Not that Mariah isn't talented or deserving, but much of her early success was bought.

Sony does indeed need to get their act together and do a better job of promoting this album. It's doing well, but could be doing much better with the proper backing.

Memefan

Proud Member

So true. Not that Mariah isn't talented or deserving, but much of her early success was bought.

Sony does indeed need to get their act together and do a better job of promoting this album. It's doing well, but could be doing much better with the proper backing.

I don't want to defend Sony, but I think they started with very good intention but their original plans were derailed.

Also, we have to admit the album has been up against a lot of hate..from Will I Am to Neyo to the Jacksons to the media and fans....everyone thinks they know best what MJ would have wanted...except for those he put in position to represent him.

botdf

Proud Member
One thing I noticed is that Malachi is agressively removing all clips or full songs from youtube and other video sites in the past 3 days. This has never occurred until recently for Malachi.

AnnieRUOkay89

Proud Member
Judging by the many members of this board who voiced they're admiration for a new album long before the news was even announced, I'd suppose so.