Michael - The Great Album Debate

^^ Well I do think they're relevant to his discography and musical integrity...These songs are on an album with his name on it...Unfortunately, to me, they are eons away from representing his talent....I don't feel any input from him at all on these songs...Above all, it's the vocals, yes, but I think it's important to discuss all of it...

yes but it's a different question / separate discussion. songs possibly being fake is a lot more different than songs being real but crappy.

I agree that lyrics in regards of vocals are irrelevant, but the question remains, would someone who sang such lyrics as heard and seen in SHOUT would accept to sing the lyrics such as:

"stabbed in the back as a matter of fact" or "suck the air from behind me"?

It is as if an excellent actor accepted, after decades of quality roles, to play a role in a crappy movie produced by searching-for-the-right-button amateur producer and director. I just couldn't imagine Dean Martin starring in "Dune".

see the thing about Michael is that he certainly didn't conform to standards. For example his song / video with Eddie Murphy (whatzzupwithu) was quite bad compared to his quality, similarly his appearance in Miss Cast Away is another example. That movie wasn't up to his quality either. but yet he did them both.

in short as far as Michael goes I don't think he had a set rule of "I won't do this" and he could have sang on a crappy song to help a 25 year friend to get a start in the industry. He helped 3T in their first album, why wouldn't he help Cascio as well?

you also need to consider other factors in play here (such as friendship, motivation) and not only focus on one aspect (such as lyrical content).

^ About "whatzzupwithu", I have always enjoyed the music video and song quite a lot. And it's just a little cameo appearance, really, not a real Michael Jackson release.

yes but it's a different question / separate discussion. songs possibly being fake is a lot more different than songs being real but crappy.

The lyrics and vocals have both been part of this discussion pretty much the entire time we've been debating....The lyrics to a lot of people have obviously stood like a sore thumb compared to Michael's previous work, (like the vocals!) so naturally we're going to discuss it...It's not really proof of anything, just observational really....As we've all said trillions of times, there is no proof either way that anyone would accept, so of course we're going to put all points of interest under a microscope for ourselves to make sense of it all somehow..

Yeah, not only do the vocals sound highly questionable to thousands of fans for the first time in history, the lyrics also seem like they are attempts at imitating his style instead of actually branching out to anything new or original.

When you listen to Invincible, he would explain that he wanted all kinds of melodies and all kinds of styles of music, and that he wanted to keep it simple. Best of Joy, Hollywood Tonight, Hold My Hand, that's keeping it simple. The Cascio songs on the other hand, to many, sound like a chaotic clash of noises and unoriginal imitation lyrics, something Michael Jackson was not known for.

And yes, I know Michael reused a few of his lyrics, but I think that's different than making direct Off The Wall, Thriller and self-references as some sort of personal homage to himself.

Separate discussion, I agree. But don't you think also that lyrics are linked to the songs. I mean, if the songs are fake vocally speaking, the lyrics might be just as fake.

see the thing about Michael is that he certainly didn't conform to standards.

Of course not, that's why he was so special. But I don't remember him doing anything without a real reason behind. He perfectly knew what he was doing. He never gave impression that he was attempting doing things, he just did them as perfectly as possible.

For example his song / video with Eddie Murphy (whatzzupwithu) was quite bad compared to his quality,

Quite bad? No, I don't think it's bad at all. Let me give you my point of view why it's not bad.

Firstly, I remember that Eddie Murphy was begging MJ to star in his Beverly Hills Cop III. Michael refused, although he wanted to take part in the movie industry. Why did he refuse? Either because he had other projects or because maybe he didn't feel it was for him. Already there we see that Michael knew what he was doing.

Secondly, it is a duet with a comedy star, not a solo. When you see the video Whatzupwitu, what is your first reaction seeing a comedy star singing and playing Jackie Chan with his fists against MJ? What is your first reaction when you see Eddie Murphy put his hand on MJ's mouth to silence him?
As far as I am concerned I laughed. It is funny. It is meant to be funny. There is the Mike that I see fooling around. Yet, his voice is still MJ's. And even at moments singing a bit lower proving once again that it wasn't due to his age, but to his capacity to sing lower.
On top of that, there is a clear message "The elephant is dying! What's up with you?".

Now, when I listen to the Cascio tracks. Many believers said that MJ was just fooling around. Well, what is our first impression or reaction supposed to be when we hear the Cascio tracks? Was MJ fooling around and are we supposed to laugh? I don't know about you, but I don't find them funny (except the lyrics, which were meant to be serious, not funny). What is the clear message about in KYHU? Finding a job or ecology? It's quite confusing actually and is incomparable to Whatzupwitu.

similarly his appearance in Miss Cast Away is another example. That movie wasn't up to his quality either. but yet he did them both.

I haven't seen Miss Cast Away, but from what I have read, it is a disaster, I agree with you. However, again, the movie is meant to be a pile of parodies from different movies, including MIB in which MJ played a tiny role of agent M. In Miss Cast Away all Mike did was parodying himself. Again, it is meant to be. It wasn't meant to be a serious role as the Cascio songs.

in short as far as Michael goes I don't think he had a set rule of "I won't do this" and he could have sang on a crappy song to help a 25 year friend to get a start in the industry. He helped 3T in their first album, why wouldn't he help Cascio as well?

I do think he has a set of rules when it comes to his own career. Why would MJ jeopardize his own career? "I need you" and "Why" are beautiful songs. Michael helped 3T in those songs without jeopardizing his own career. But saying that MJ helped the Cascios with a voice that is completely off, singing -frankly speaking- crappy lyrics and recording in a crappy studio, I really don't see how can it be considered as any kind of help (neither to the Cascios nor to himself actually as a solo artist).

you also need to consider other factors in play here (such as friendship, motivation) and not only focus on one aspect (such as lyrical content).

I do consider all the factors, that's why I am taking into consideration the lyrics as well. But if I wanted to help my friends why would I help them with crappy things when I have the possibility to do it properly in a best possible way? The least I could do as a friend is advise my friends and say: "listen those lyrics are crappy, let's change them." Or I'd say: "listen to that voice, it doens't sound me, let's make it properly" rather than say "oh, let's use a pvc pipe or a shower."

Listen to these two songs and enjoy their tenderness (this is what I call helping):

[youtube]D86ye9nCBLM[/youtube]

[youtube]JgolYfq4xvI[/youtube]

Look at Michael. He's fooling around, it is crystal clear. Enjoy how he fools around (even this is what I call helping friends):

[youtube]kMQ3jwqH_lU&feature=related[/youtube]

[youtube]iG2cBAEuSms[/youtube]

Now what am I supposed to do with the Cascio songs?
To enjoy what?
The vocals? Hell no!
The lyrics? Mercy!
The music? Which part? The YRMW sample on BN? "Let me let go" ressemblance on Monster? or "Earth song"-"Keep the faith" mingle in "Keep your head up"?

Last edited:
^^ :punk: (Gotta spread some rep around before I can give you more!)

I also agree that the lyrics are pretty much irrelevant when it comes to vocal authenticity, but at the same time, the lyrics on top of the already suspicious vocals are very relevant to the songs as a whole.

I think the lyrics in that song Why are terrible too but it's a 3T song. The Cascio tracks are Michael's songs, allegedly, so he didn't have to settle for anything and there are many examples of bad lyrics in those songs, in my opinion. I'm working on song dissections - lyrics, pronunciation, and tone. It will take me a while to put them all together but paying close attention to the lyrics again really makes me believe in their relevance in a general sense.

^^ :punk: (Gotta spread some rep around before I can give you more!)

I also agree that the lyrics are pretty much irrelevant when it comes to vocal authenticity, but at the same time, the lyrics on top of the already suspicious vocals are very relevant to the songs as a whole.

I think the lyrics in that song Why are terrible too but it's a 3T song. The Cascio tracks are Michael's songs, allegedly, so he didn't have to settle for anything and there are many examples of bad lyrics in those songs, in my opinion. I'm working on song dissections - lyrics, pronunciation, and tone. It will take me a while to put them all together but paying close attention to the lyrics again really makes me believe in their relevance in a general sense.

Welcome back Mundy :)

What do you think about the lyrics in SHOUT?

^^ Yeah, as if that even needs to be mentioned if there were no question ....Do they? Really? :smilerolleyes:

BUMPER SNIPPET, isn't Shout a cover song, though? He didn't write it? Or is that your point?

Still, yes the lyrics are amazing.

Edit: Ah, yes, it's an Isley Brothers song.

BUMPER SNIPPET, isn't Shout a cover song, though? He didn't write it? Or is that your point?

Still, yes the lyrics are amazing.

Edit: Ah, yes, it's an Isley Brothers song.

Regardless,

my point was MJ's "I don't sing if I don't mean it" ;-) Did he mean what he supposedly sang on the Cascio tracks?

I agree, all of the songs he was doing in his later years were very profound. The lyrics all sounded incredibly mature compared to the Cascio songs, in my opinion. Even Hollywood Tonight, with it's simple message, uses lyrics and imagery that is miles and miles above anything we get on the Cascio songs. Really, these are the worst songs he's ever recorded lyrically, if he actually recorded them. He's already written way better tabloid songs, he's already done way better environmental and socially aware songs.

I agree, all of the songs he was doing in his later years were very profound. The lyrics all sounded incredibly mature compared to the Cascio songs, in my opinion. Even Hollywood Tonight, with it's simple message, uses lyrics and imagery that is miles and miles above anything we get on the Cascio songs. Really, these are the worst songs he's ever recorded lyrically, if he actually recorded them. He's already written way better tabloid songs, he's already done way better environmental and socially aware songs.

You have the same example with "The man in the mirror", he didn't write it, but when Michael sings it, he becomes the song itself.

I wouldn't call Shout a cover. Sampled maybe (I'm not sure if the word sample is only used to mean taking an actual piece of original music or vocal recording but I can't think of a better word), but it's not enough like The Isley Brother's song Shout to be considered a cover (to me anyway).

I love the lyrics, Bumper. Whether he actually wrote the songs he sang doesn't make a difference to me. Imo, they have Michael all over them, regardless. That's something I just don't feel in the Cascio songs.

Last edited:
But don't you think also that lyrics are linked to the songs. I mean, if the songs are fake vocally speaking, the lyrics might be just as fake.

it doesn't bring anything to this argument. Okay let's all agree that Cascio is the crappiest lyricists out there. It doesn't affect us in any way in order to determine the vocals issues.

Quite bad? No, I don't think it's bad at all. Let me give you my point of view why it's not bad.

It's one of the few songs that MTV (I believe) officially "retired" and refuses to play anymore.

I do find Michael strikingly beautiful in the video and some portions make me laugh. Regardless it's not up to his quality and the general public agrees that it sucks.

I haven't seen Miss Cast Away, but from what I have read, it is a disaster, I agree with you. However, again, the movie is meant to be a pile of parodies from different movies, including MIB in which MJ played a tiny role of agent M. In Miss Cast Away all Mike did was parodying himself. Again, it is meant to be.

I don't think it was meant to be. He could have said no. he was recorded in his house in a room. it was low quality from the start. compare it to his cameo in MIB and how different that was.

It wasn't meant to be a serious role as the Cascio songs.

Cascio songs were demos that he was supposed to work on further when he died. So I don't think what was left behind was serious. If Michael was alive he could have worked on the songs for 7 years and release a completely different thing. so let's not act like Cascio songs were the songs he left behind ready to be released. they weren't.

I do think he has a set of rules when it comes to his own career. Why would MJ jeopardize his own career?

I don't think his career could be jeopardized that easily honestly.

But saying that MJ helped the Cascios with a voice that is completely off, singing -frankly speaking- crappy lyrics and recording in a crappy studio, I really don't see how can it be considered as any kind of help (neither to the Cascios nor to himself actually as a solo artist).

again they were going to work on further. what I meant was he could have accepted a song (let's say water) that is lyrically beyond his standards , start working on it to get a feel record demos/guide vocals (cascio songs) and then could have worked on them with professionals for months to years and include in a future album (the one supposed to happen during / after TII) and open the door to Eddie as a "songwriter who worked with Michael".

and a note: this post is confusing to me because you treat Cascio songs as finished products (ready to be released) that michael left behind and base all your comparisons according to that. I think in reality they should be treated as songs he started but didn't finish artistically.

I wouldn't call Shout a cover. Sampled maybe (I'm not sure if the word sample is only used to mean taking an actual piece of original music or vocal recording but I can't think of a better word), but it's not enough like The Isley Brother's song Shout to be considered a cover (to me anyway).

I love Bumper. Whether he actually wrote the songs he sang doesn't make a difference to me. Imo, they have Michael all over them, regardless. That's something I just don't feel in the Cascio songs.

Thanks, :D

it doesn't bring anything to this argument. Okay let's all agree that Cascio is the crappiest lyricists out there. It doesn't affect us in any way in order to determine the vocals issues.

No, that's for sure, I agree. Let's also agree that this would however raise the question, would MJ accept to sing those lyrics at all, because they surely don't sound as demos, but rather as finished or semi-finished songs.

It's one of the few songs that MTV (I believe) officially "retired" and refuses to play anymore.

MTV? MTV has been all but a music channel for years now. Since they are broadcasting immature and completely awful programs such as Jackass. I am not surprised the guy recently died in a car accident after filming himself drinking before driving. After gathering a completely new type of audience, what do you expect from that audience? To watch videos such as Whatzupwitu?

Please don't tell me that MTV is any kind of reference to you regarding MJ's music or music in general. MTV used to be a music channel I enjoyed to watch, now it's a reality show I hate to even stumble across.

I do find Michael strikingly beautiful in the video and some portions make me laugh. Regardless it's not up to his quality and the general public agrees that it sucks.

Ivy, it doesn't suck. The video is supposed to be light and funny. It's a second degree video and meant to be. We're talking about Eddie Murphy who invited MJ on his song, not about MJ singing 12 solo songs equally in a crappy state that were supposed to be 1st degree serious, not funny.

I don't think it was meant to be. He could have said no. he was recorded in his house in a room. it was low quality from the start. compare it to his cameo in MIB and how different that was.

He could have said no, of course. But he knew it was meant to be just for fun. Again, he could easily make a distinction between funny things and serious job. Where do you situate the Cascio recordings? As a funny and fooling around job or as a serious thing? For my part, the Cascio songs are attempts, but certainly not funny, and far from being perfect regarding MJ's standard at all.

Cascio songs were demos that he was supposed to work on further when he died. So I don't think what was left behind was serious.

The thing is, they do not sound demos and the voice doesn't sound his. "In the back", "What about us", "Fall again", "Beautiful girl", ... are demos, sound like demos and we clearly hear MJ's voice. Those songs could have been reworked.

Unfortunately, the Cascio songs do not give the same impression neither vocally nor lyrically. So, if they were demos, they should have been released as such. But then again, the voice is not the same as on any other MJ's demo. So why even releasing them at all without having solid proofs to back the claim that they're Michael's at all?

If Michael was alive he could have worked on the songs for 7 years and release a completely different thing. so let's not act like Cascio songs were the songs he left behind ready to be released. they weren't.

But this is our problem, isn't it? They ARE realeased without a single proof that it is MJ singing them. By the way, we're talking about not one two or three questionable songs, but 6 (that I've heard either completely or snippets). There are 6 left to be heard, but am already stressed when I even think of them.

I don't think his career could be jeopardized that easily honestly.

With one song, no. His featuring in "Whatzupwitu" is an example. With 12 songs that don't sound his usual voice singing crappy lyrics and releasing them, would be an embarrassement. And it is, because his friends the Cascios decided to sell those. Don't you think that his posthumous album would have been even more successful without those controversial songs? That's what I call jeopardizing.

again they were going to work on further. what I meant was he could have accepted a song (let's say water) that is lyrically beyond his standards , start working on it to get a feel record demos/guide vocals (cascio songs) and then could have worked on them with professionals for months to years and include in a future album (the one supposed to happen during / after TII) and open the door to Eddie as a "songwriter who worked with Michael".

If he had done that, he'd first of all most probably changed the lyrics and above all sing the songs. In the state that they have been released we don't know who's the singer. And if the singer is a soundalike on those tracks, maybe they were meant to be sent to MJ to give him an idea what would the songs sound like if MJ sang them.

However, there is still this bitter taste in my ears of hearing other songs or rip offs from YRMW, Keep the faith, Earth song, 2 Bad, etc. And the one that I just can't digest "Let me let go".

and a note: this post is confusing to me because you treat Cascio songs as finished products (ready to be released) that michael left behind and base all your comparisons according to that. I think in reality they should be treated as songs he started but didn't finish artistically.

Even if I compare them to other MJ's demos, they don't match at all. I mean, what is the thing that indicates that those Cascio tracks are demos actually?

KYHU lyrics are confusing, really.

The lyrics on KYHU go all directions. Each line is unreleated to the prvious one. As if the author had amnesia between the beginning of the song and the end of it.

I imagine a single mother complaining:

"I have no job, I gotta survive doing two jobs at the same time and raise my children in a world where I have difficulties to breathe the air from under me and where people kill up the birds in the trees. I need some wings to chin up, I just can't take it any more."

:doh:

He also goes from third to first person randomly. "She's looking", "She's looking" to suddenly first person "under me", "I can't even breathe".

Almost every Cascio song bounces around like crazy.

Breaking News goes third to first to third. In All I Need he goes from third to first, in the chorus of Stay he seems to speak as two people as once. "I'm writing you this letter just to say goodbye, I'll be standing in the rain 'case you change your mind" First he's the person saying goodbye, then instantly he's the person left waiting. I thought this was kind of cool at first, but it just goes along with the whole confusing lyrics found in every song.

I heard somewhere that songs like: "Breaking News" for example is really composed of 3-7 snippets from other Casico songs....if thats the case then would that be more the reason the KYHU and Stay +other casico songs, are more so lyrically confuzzling?

I heard somewhere that songs like: "Breaking News" for example is really composed of 3-7 snippets from other Casico songs....if thats the case then would that be more the reason the KYHU and Stay +other casico songs, are more so lyrically confuzzling?
The thing is, Keep Your Head Up's verses go along with each other. So do the verses on Breaking News, Soldier Boy, etc. The songs seem like they were recorded that way and have the illusion of being demo sounding when really they're not. If they were really snippets from other songs, they wouldn't flow together right, they'd sound different.

Compare "She's looking for a job" to "Sucking up the air in the Earth"(not sure if that's 100%), the verses go together. They aren't from separate songs, you see what I'm saying? I feel like it's hard to explain what I'm trying to say, it's late.

I was loooking at the lyrics for KYHU last night, and i dont think some of them make much sense...first "shes looking for a job" then "shes working two jobs" ...idk its weird. unless she found 2 jobs...idk

I was loooking at the lyrics for KYHU last night, and i dont think some of them make much sense...first "shes looking for a job" then "shes working two jobs" ...idk its weird. unless she found 2 jobs...idk

she's looking for a better job while she's working two jobs.

for example the woman in the Hollywood tonight video is working as a waitress and a stripper while trying to land a professional dancer job - working 2 jobs while looking for another

while in college I worked part time as a student worker in the library and worked at a clothing store as a cashier and was trying to find a good paying full time job.

It's life.

Okay, ivy, you can justify that little part but how do you justify, "She's looking for a job, she's working two jobs" to suddenly "All you need is love, I know it's coming soon. All you need is just a moment, won't it do?"

Okay, ivy, you can justify that little part but how do you justify, "She's looking for a job, she's working two jobs" to suddenly "All you need is love, I know it's coming soon. All you need is just a moment, won't it do?"

sure. in my opinion the song isn't about or focused on a single woman with 2 jobs but general speaking to multiple people/ multiple events and what they go through in life. in other words it's an inspirational song to give people strength.

She's looking for a job and a finer place to stay,
She's looking for the hope in the empty promises
She's working two jobs, keeping alive,
She works in a restaurant night and day,
She waits her life away,
She wipes her tears away.
She cries inside everytime she feels this way
And she's dyin' inside everytime her baby cries

this is an example of a struggling human being : she's a single mom working so hard just to stay alive and give her baby a better life. she hopes for a better job and better future. however there are times that she feels helpless and sad

Keeping your head up to the sky!
Keeping your mind to stay alive,
Give me your wings so we can fly!
Keep your head up, tonight!
Keeping your head up to the sky,
Or we can just rise up, tell me now
Give me your wings so we can fly!

inspirational part : stay strong you can do it

Killing up the life in the birds and the trees,
And we're suckin' up the air in the Earth from under me (it's never too late)
I can't even breathe (just lean on me),
I can't even see!

some might argue that this is about nature but I don't think so. it can be about how the conditions some people face make it harder for them to even live such as they don't even feel like they even have a chance to survive in the life. in the previous sections he mentions "keeping alive ", "staying alive" . this part is telling how these people are being "killed". they feel like the world is being taken from under their feet, they feel like they can't even breath, they feel like they have no chance of survival, no chance to live. this is his cry for help explaining how they actually feel so helpless.

Keep your head up, don't give up, today!

again tells to stay strong

How long can we wait?
I wish that love would come today!
All you need is love,
I tell you I know it's coming soon
And all you need is just a moment, won't it do
Keep your head up!

all you need is human compression , a helping hand , a single moment , a single act is going to make a change. he wishes that this help / this single moment comes soon because it's hard to stand to these conditions.

Everybody say that time is borrowed,
And hangin' down your head just ain't no good
And if you dare to rise above tomorrow
Just give yourself a chance,
Fight the circumstance,
Rise and do it again

inspirational : regardless of how bad the situation might be, regardless of you feel there's no hope, you can't even live / survive anymore, challenges you to be strong and fight. giving up wouldn't make it any better.

I need your love
I need you now
I need your light right here today
I need you now

call of help. the people in these dire conditions is asking for help from other people - soon if possible.

note: when I was learning english I had a wonderful teacher. sometimes we would come across to words that we don't know and he would say "read the sentence, read the paragraph, read the page. you'll understand the meaning of the word from the rest". that's what I do. I read the overall lyrics and see if there's a meaning in them. kinda like a bigger picture look approach. and then we have some people that pick out a line and focus on it.

for example working 2 jobs - looking for a job is mentioned multiple times but if you read the whole first verse you clearly see that her 2 jobs is just enough to "keep her alive" and that she's looking for "finer place". so it's obvious that she wants a better job to replace her 2 crappy jobs for a better life.

Back