Michael v/s Jermaine

Who was the better vocalist during the J5 era?

• Jermaine

Votes: 6 1.7%
  • Michael

Votes: 324 92.6%
  • Both were equally as talented

Votes: 20 5.7%

• Total voters
Michael just had a kind of voice that you will never hear anything else like, it was so unique, and as a kid, well, his voice was just amazing !
and his stage presence was amazing

Jermaine is however a talented guy too :)

Jermaine is a wonderful singer. He didn't have the same level of talent but who does. All the brothers were good in their own way but get overlooked because Michael was Michael. That said my favorite songs are where Michael and Jermaine play off each other. I also must say I like the rawness of the Jackson 5 era vocals the best.

There is no Michael vs Jermaine. Michael was always lightyears ahead of Jermaine in talent and I'm sure Jermaine would agree with that.

That's interesting because I remember Jermaine once said something along the lines, that "Yes Michael was very special but anyone could have been helped/groomed into being the star of the Jackson 5." I think he was thinking that that 'anyone' could've been him.

You can REALLY hear the difference in 'Tell Me I'm Not Dreaming'.
Jermaine sounds fine...but when Mike comes in, it's like "Wooh! NOW the party's getting started!"

Michael by leaps and bounds. He could do more with his voice. Have you heard him in I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus? His voice was simply amazing. Jermaine couldn't touch him.

I do, however, think Jermaine was underrated. I like his voice a lot.

You can REALLY hear the difference in 'Tell Me I'm Not Dreaming'.
Jermaine sounds fine...but when Mike comes in, it's like "Wooh! NOW the party's getting started!"
You're right. Every time I hear the beginning of the song I think, "gosh, I forget what a great singer Jermaine is," but then Michael comes in and blows him away.

I was going to vote for Jermaine, but he's already had his solitary sympathy vote in the poll so I don't need to. It's a bit cruel to put someone in competition with the King of Pop!

Unfair anticlimactic poll.

We all know Michael had the better more versatile voice.

BUT

An interesting fact people need to remember about Michael was that one of his singing influences was none other than big brother Jermaine.

In fact, before Jermaine's voice changed a lot of people think it was Michael singing.
Check out these old Steeltown clips to hear Jermaine's voice before puberty gave him that deeper rich tone (YouTube took down some of those clips that I wanted to better prove my point).

Jackson 5 - RARE Rehearsal Recording (Boys and Girls we are the Jackson 5)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3nmvPhDM28

Stormy Monday [RARE] - Jackson 5
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZlbnMWBB6g

And for comparison here's some Steeltown Michael

Michael the Lover [RARE] - Jackson 5
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mc1WgnPyNd8

To me, no better singers could assist Michael other than his brothers.

John Lucas

Last edited:
Michael, but there's no doubt that Jermaine is talented as well

Michael was by far the better singer, His voice was much stronger and had that special something :)

Is there really a need for such a poll? Of course the majority will vote for Michael. :cheeky:

I myself choose the third option since I like Jermaine's voice a lot. And I'm not too fond of tiny Michael's voice tbh.

I have always seen Michael as a performer, not just a singer, but his voice was so versatile and powerful. He had control that Jermaine simply did not have. No competition...Michael.

I voted for Michael. Michael had a beautiful voice from GOD.

I posed this question on another discussion board, and now I want to ask the people here.

Why do you think that they gave the most work to Michael instead of Jermaine? Do you think it was because Michael was younger and cute, or do you think that he was the better singer?[/QUOTE]
:bugeyed

no offense intended but................

the child genius / prodigy grew up and became THE GREATEST ENTERTAINER OF OUR TIME........... I guess its a TOUGH QUESTION... hummm... let me think....... (SARCASM) (sorry- LOL).......:D

I guess i would have to go with talent. i am T A L E N T ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

well I am all for giving Jermaine his credit on his vocals....but......Michael wins this one hands down...not even a competition ,,,IMHO

Without a doubt, MICHAEL. When I listen to Michael's ballads like 'Ben', 'Music and Me', 'I'll be there' and most of all, 'Who's lovin' you?', his vocals are really those of an angel. The tone, control, emotion, and passion in Michael's singing has yet to be witnessed again by a child singer, IMO.

All of the Jacksons are definitely musically talented, but Michael was a musical child prodigy.

All of the Jacksons are very talented, and I like Jermaine's singing voice, but Michael stands out among them all. He's in a league of his own.

Michael's voice rose above everyone elses from the very start. Remember that video of MJ and his brothers trying out for Motown? Who was out in front dancing and singing? It was little Michael Jackson leading the whole group.

All of the Jacksons are talented.. Michael has that spark, but we must also give Jermaine his props as well, he can play the hell out of a bass...

I want to know the 3 people who voted that Jermaine is a better singer........

What kind of question is that LOL!

Michael of course! Jermaine is a great singer, but he just isn't Michael Jackson.

um. michael! his voice was out of this world, as a kid he had so much life and passion behind it. he was so special, i LOVE how michael sounds on the jackson's stuff, some of it i like even more than some of the later michael stuff. when michael comes it always makes me smile because he sounds so bright, dynamic, full of energy...its like 'wow this is it!' ... can i use 'can you feel it' as an example..michael makes that song.

Back