Michael - Your Album Review + Poll

What is your rating for the Album? (5 is best)

Votes: 131 39.0%

Votes: 116 34.5%

Votes: 53 15.8%

Votes: 19 5.7%

Votes: 17 5.1%

• Total voters
If I had the means to contact John Branca or if I believed Sony even gave a shit then I would.

But these people only care about the bottom line.

You can't hate on me for not glossing over the truth in my review. Even if you believe the Cascio songs are legit, you cannot deny that they are widely disputed and at the very least "questionnable." I respect Michael as an artist and am disgusted that the estate have chosen to use these songs without knowing 100% if they are really him or not.

Some fans on here will buy anything if it's sold under the name "Michael Jackson." I have more respect for him than that.

I'm not hating on you. I hope you did not really call me a hater. That would be a very sad first for me. You don't have to gloss anything over but I think you just should not call your opinion the truth. It's just not right to put it out there like so-called facts when you don't know if they are indeed facts. It's not a reasonable, but a very emotional reaction. Wait until the Jacksons or anyone else who shares your opinion takes this matter to court and the truth comes out. Then if you are right, just comment away with it on places like Amazon. Until then it's speculation that damages the well-deserved success of the album.

I'm not hating on you. I hope you did not really call me a hater. That would be a very sad first for me. You don't have to gloss anything over but I think you just should not call your opinion the truth. It's just not right to put it out there like so-called facts when you don't know if they are indeed facts. It's not a reasonable, but a very emotional reaction. Wait until the Jacksons or anyone else who shares your opinion takes this matter to court and the truth comes out. Then if you are right, just comment away with it on places like Amazon. Until then it's speculation that damages the well-deserved success of the album.

The estate obviously decided to go ahead with these songs because they thought the controversy would generate publicity. And no doubt some casual fans will have heard about the fake vocals story and will buy the album to decide for themselves.

But the estate are playing a double-edged sword. There will be people that are put off by the controversy.

One thing is for certain, Michael and his fans deserved a quality and authentic product. It should never have come to this. The question mark over those songs is too big. Michael deserved a great posthumous album. John Branca and John McClain have turned it into a laughing stock.

Are you serious? - That's one of the best songs on the album, and one of the most emotional songs since Ben.

I know taste is individual, but I simply LOVE MTS.

His voice is great, you can feel the sorrow and dispair. Beautiful.

His voice is great yes, but I don't like the song. Never liked Ben either.

^^

Taste is different. But nice you enjoy so many of the other songs.

^^ Much Too Soon is a timeless song in Michael's catalogue. It is one of those songs I can guarentee I will still be listening to in 20 years time (as long as I'm still around then! ;))

The estate obviously decided to go ahead with these songs because they thought the controversy would generate publicity. And no doubt some casual fans will have heard about the fake vocals story and will buy the album to decide for themselves.

But the estate are playing a double-edged sword. There will be people that are put off by the controversy.

One thing is for certain, Michael and his fans deserved a quality and authentic product. It should never have come to this. The question mark over those songs is too big. Michael deserved a great posthumous album. John Branca and John McClain have turned it into a laughing stock.

This probably won't be taken very well, but no, Branca and McClain didn't turn 'Michael' in to a laughing stock. The fans are doing that. The album itself is receiving positive reviews from publications all across the world and is indeed a very solid album. Actually, rather fantastic. The craziness is coming from us. We need to take responsibility for that. I was once a non-believer but after some time and reading up on the state of matters, I came to my own conclusion which I have stated many times here, and that is that logic and reason trumps purpose driven hysteria. The Jacksons first started this business as long ago as last summer and it spread like a disease and even tracks that are very clearly MJ are being questioned. They didn't want to see this album be released, let alone succeed, because they aren't going to be earning any money from it. MJ was their life line and although he loved his family dearly, he stayed away because it has always been about money with them. It's very sad that fans fell in to their trap.

This probably won't be taken very well, but no, Branca and McClain didn't turn 'Michael' in to a laughing stock. The fans are doing that. The album itself is receiving positive reviews from publications all across the world and is indeed a very solid album. Actually, rather fantastic. The craziness is coming from us. We need to take responsibility for that. I was once a non-believer but after some time and reading up on the state of matters, I came to my own conclusion which I have stated many times here, and that is that logic and reason trumps purpose driven hysteria. The Jacksons first started this business as long ago as last summer and it spread like a disease and even tracks that are very clearly MJ are being questioned. They didn't want to see this album be released, let alone succeed, because they aren't going to be earning any money from it. MJ was their life line and although he loved his family dearly, he stayed away because it has always been about money with them. It's very sad that fans fell in to their trap.

The family's thoughts/opinions on the album have nothing to do with why I don't think it's him. I thought they were crazy at first, I just rolled my eyes and thought "that family is crazy!".

It's only when I finally heard Breaking News that I felt something wasn't right. I kept an open mind, but then I heard Monster and All I Need and none of them sound like Michael's voice.

The only Cascio song which remotely sounds like Michael is KYHU - and even parts of that sound suspect.

It's not hysteria, it's just what my ears tell me.

edit: sorry didnt realized the public can see these threads from search engines. Its one thing to be critical of MJ within fans its another when "outsiders" can see.

Last edited:
2. For those of you who have given it a 5 (being a perfect). How would you rate Thriller, Bad, Dangerous and History or even Invincible if this is perfect for you?

You cannot possibly say all are 5 because then you are likely not rating music quality but the fact that it is good because it is an MJ album... which is fine too but you need to be clear in that.

I have a feeling that most of you here, who are writing perfect reviews about it, are post history-era fans. I have seen Bad, Dangerous, History (& BOTDF) and Invincible releases so excuse if I am not too thrilled about this exactly.

Whilst I wouldn't hold it on a par with MJ's proper albums, you can't deny that there are some wonderful moments on Michael.

Behind The Mask would've sound great on Thriller or Bad. Hollywood Tonight and Another Day are probably better than anything on Invincible.

And Much Too Soon is timeless. Definately up there with his best ballads.

The family's thoughts/opinions on the album have nothing to do with why I don't think it's him. I thought they were crazy at first, I just rolled my eyes and thought "that family is crazy!".

It's only when I finally heard Breaking News that I felt something wasn't right. I kept an open mind, but then I heard Monster and All I Need and none of them sound like Michael's voice.

The only Cascio song which remotely sounds like Michael is KYHU - and even parts of that sound suspect.

It's not hysteria, it's just what my ears tell me.

I don't care what anyone says, you can't tell me that peoples minds haven't at all been poisoned by the hysteria. I have seen "Best Of Joy" be questioned as a fraud, so don't dare tell me that the Jacksons startin' this ish hasn't caused craziness. Please!:doh:

I have just finished listening to the album for the first time, but I am a little emotional to give a full review, suffice to say;

The first 9 tracks had me smiling all over my face, and the last bought tears to my eyes.

I love that man and I miss him more than I realised. :-(

My review from Amazon.co.uk

As a fan who has listened to Michael Jackson's voice almost every day for the last 20 years, I feel like I know the mans voice pretty well.

Lets get real here, there are only seven tracks with authentic MJ vocals on this album (and one of them is a remix of an already released song). The other three songs (all coincidentally written and produced by the same person) sound like somebody trying to imitate his vocal style. These three tracks (Breaking News, Monster and Keep Your Head Up) should never have been included on this album. Even if they are genuinely Michael Jackson (which is highly doubtful) the estate should only have included songs they were 100% certain of. It is a huge disrespect to Michael's legacy to release three songs which could very well be somebody else singing. His estate are clearly only motivated by money and are not at all concerned about respecting Michael's artistic integrity.

The real tragedy here is that amidst the controversy over the fake vocals some rather good genuine Michael Jackson songs have been robbed of the attention they deserve. Hollywood Tonight has some amazing beatboxing from Michael and is his catchiest uptempo since the 90s. Another Day is his best rock song since Give Into Me and Behind The Mask is a real hidden gem.

But I do not believe that it is Michael Jackson singing on the three Eddie Cascio produced songs. It does not sound like Michael's voice, the tone, the power, his trademark growl.... it's not there.

His estate should be ashamed of themselves. Michael's unreleased material deserved better than this.

I think this is a fair review...Your honesty is appreciated...

I voted 4/5

Really great album! There's not a bad track on it and there are a lot of songs that I absolutely LOVE. Much better than I could have expected! :D

2. For those of you who have given it a 5 (being perfect). How would you rate Thriller, Bad, Dangerous and History or even Invincible if this is perfect for you?

Maybe people aren't voting like that and are voting 5 as being the best we could have expected from a posthumous album.

'Michael' is exactly the album I was hoping for, and I really couldn't ask for more other than MJ still having been here to put his finishing touches and witness his return to the top of the charts.

Michael 5/5 *****

Hold My Hand - A sweet duet with Akon but easily the weakest track on the album. Not poor by any means, but compared with the others it is lacking as an opener but still very pleasant. It has a light and breezy approach and MJ and Akon's voices blend nicely (but MJ outshines with his impeccable and effortless vocals).

Hollywood Tonight - MJ comes out swinging, beat-boxing, and bringing the heat as only he can. The bass is killer. It also addresses the cut-throat style of Hollywood and what it can do to a person.

Keep Your Head Up - What can I say? This track is a classic MJ anthem. It's uplifting, motivational, and exactly the type of message MJ wanted to share with the world.

(I Like) The Way You Love Me - As if the demo wasn't good enough, it is made only greater by giving it a polished and pulsing feel, and who couldn't love the opening message from Michael? Another little insight in to his genius and process.

Monster - Michael means business on this track. It's angry, it's hard hitting, and it will spill blood on the dance floor. If this doesn't shake your booty, you best be checking your pulse. This is another introspective take on MJ's views of fame.

Best Of Joy - Gorgeous. Beautiful. Masterpiece. Michael sings like an angel and makes us all feel his warmth and true joy as the title suggests. Yes MJ, you are forever. This is a personal favorite and possibly my all time favorite song of all time.

Breaking News - MJ throws down the gauntlet in his ever ongoing battle with the media. He revisits his pain and frustration in the vein of "Privacy", but with a sharper beat and more direct lyrics. No holding back.

(I Can't Take It) Another Day - MJ, with help of Lenny Kravitz, gives us another example of his yearning to hold on to the ones he loves to help pull him through the storm. There is a growl in his voice and a burning in his heart. You can feel the passion. I would dare say it's as masterful as "We've Had Enough".

Behind The Music - A true masterpiece. The lyrics, the vocals, and the music all pull together to create one of the best tracks of not only the album, but of MJ's career. The futuristic sound is a mixture of old and new, creating a hybrid that serves Michael very well. It's a sad reminder of his genius and loss.

Much Too Soon - An agonizingly beautiful and delicately sung ballad. No one can convey emotions like loss, pain, and love in their voice with such grace and ease like our King.

Ending notes: While we had hoped leaked tracks like "DYKWYCA" and "Blue Gangsta" had made the cut, the flow of the album is excellent and very balanced. Sony and The Estate would have been very hard pressed to deliver a better track listing. It's a hard feat to deliver a 5 star posthumous album, but the King of Pop delivers BIG TIME. It's as if he is still here (which he is, in his music and our hearts).

Love your review:clapping:

My own review on "MICHAEL":

Hold My Hand - 10/10
Hollywood Tonight - 10/10
Keep Your Head Up - 10/10
(I Like) The Way You Love Me - 10/10
Monster - 10/10
Best Of Joy - 10/10
Breaking News - 10/10
(I Can't Make It) Another Day - 10/10
Behind The Mask - 10/10
Much Too Soon - 10/10

I can explain the 10/10 for every song......

Yeah, its THAT good for me
Every song of Michael I would rate 10/10, just because it's Michael I hear.
I love every song Michael did. I thank him for that. They all are so different so I can't say this or that song is better. Every song has an other story and they make me have an other feeling. I can't compare them with each other, like Earth song is better than Smile, or Beat it is better than Monster. I feel the input Michael did lay in every song and that's enough for me. Michael is ALWAYS perfect ( just look at his soul) How can I say it's not perfect.....

So I say 10/10 for every song he ever made

5 stars

BTW: This is ofcourse My Opinion

very few songs i have actually enjoyed if i am being honest. Much too soon , Hold My Hand, thats about it.... Major dissapointment for me..

1 of the only decent songs they have a massive chance of promoting HMH and it doesnt get enough airplay it deserves and instead all promotion goes on what seems to me is a collection of B Rated songs that would accompany a world class single anyday of the week, these songs stayed in MJ's archives for a reason..

I Dont want to be blind by just hearing new material from MJ , i would rather him being remembered for his stunning collection rather than these.

2 for me... below average

^ That's too bad. The album has some great songs. I've had a lot of non MJ fans come up to me and say the album is "amazing". So you must not be a big MJ fan if you hate his music.

I truly can't think of one MJ song I don't like.

I voted 3.

Only because I think there are better tracks that could've been used other than "BN" and "Monster"

1. Hold My Hand (10/10)
2. Hollywood Tonight (10/10)
3. Keep Your Head Up (7/10)
4. The Way You Love Me (10/10)
5. Monster (5/10)
6. Best of Joy (10/10)
7 Breaking News (3/10)
8. I Can't Make It Another Day (10/10)
9 Behind the Mask (10/10)
10. Much Too Soon (10/10)

Re: Michael - Album Review + Poll (corrected, Vote again)

1/5, the 1 for "Much too soon" (even though I like faster songs).

Resold my copy today, I'm so glad I got rid of this sh1T! Looking forward to listen to Michael's REAL albums with HIS voice again.

$ony has managed to ruin "Another day" for me.. literally..The album version makes you miss DJ Tuckie

:yes:

When people call Michael's album sh@t we can't expect anything better!
Shame shame shame!!!

exactly. even though you don't think these songs should have been released, Michael worked on them, put his heart and soul into them. "every song is like a child" - that's his words. and for FANS to be calling his songs "shit". well, I don't know. I wouldn't call those people FANS because they just don't respect the artist they are supposed to be FANS of. Just stop and think would you come up to Michael and say to him, "You know what Michael, those songs of yours are shit!"?

what a disgrace.

Re: Michael - Album Review + Poll (corrected, Vote again)

1/5, the 1 for "Much too soon" (even though I like faster songs).

Resold my copy today, I'm so glad I got rid of this sh1T! Looking forward to listen to Michael's REAL albums with HIS voice again.

:yes:

If you honestly think MJ wrote and recorded "shit" then you may be better off buying someone elses music.

Just out of interest, who did you sell the album too - and did you tell them you thought MJ was "shit before you asked for their cash? I take it they were not a friend, as you surely wouldn't sell "shit" to a friend and take money from them?

Odd!?

I agree with my above posters!
It's such a shame. Some people should hold their tongues inside before uttering such diminishing words.

OK, you have a point I shouldn't have said that about the complete album, it's just the whole thing made me feel like this.

Please at least TRY to understand a fan who doesn't like the album for once. Let me explain in detail.

I better say this before I write on so I won't get killed here in the meantime.

I find "you're not a fan" accusations really childish.
For me, this album is shit. And just because i listen to MJ that doesn't mean that i will like all his albums. I'm listening to 70-80 different bands/musicians and all of them have released at least one album that i dislike or find extremly average (exceptions are bands that released only a few albums). I like everything MJ did until Invincible, as i believe that everything after 1995 sounds mediocre and generic, except YRMW, which is one of my favorite. If one thinks that that makes me a hater, then he or she is seriously retarted. Remember, being a fan does not equal loving everything one person did.

and you calling people 'retarded' isn't childish?

Maybe it is, but that's not the point at all. The point is that just as i respect that someone loves album and thinks it's a masterpiece, some should learn to accept that some of us dislike album and that we are actually not spending hours on this forum because we hate M.

I find "you're not a fan" accusations really childish.
For me, this album is shit. And just because i listen to MJ that doesn't mean that i will like all his albums. I'm listening to 70-80 different bands/musicians and all of them have released at least one album that i dislike or find extremly average (exceptions are bands that released only a few albums). I like everything MJ did until Invincible, as i believe that everything after 1995 sounds mediocre and generic, except YRMW, which is one of my favorite. If one thinks that that makes me a hater, then he or she is seriously retarted. Remember, being a fan does not equal loving everything one person did.

No, but surely you have to questions yourself, or MJ, if you only like 1 song from his last 10 years?

Perhaps, liking 70-80 different bands/musicians, you are a 'fan of music in general' rather than a 'fan of MJ'? It's not a dig at you, but some people just 'get' MJ more than others.

It's nice that you like some of his music, along with the 70-80 others though.

Back