Michael's Career After Thriller

Re: Spike Lee announces Off The Wall Documentary - Estate Announcement Page 66

I believe that book more than Moonwalker haha..... If Im not mistaken Michael himself actually said "read Taborellis book if you want to know stuff" or something like that.

He never said that. He said, "listen to HIStory if you want to know about me" or something like that.

I believe that book more than Moonwalker haha..... If Im not mistaken Michael himself actually said "read Taborellis book if you want to know stuff" or something like that.

Well, you are mistaken. Michael did not actually say anything like that, and you have to hand over you fan batch for not knowing that MJ actually said that of History album:hysterical:

There will never be an album that sells like Thriller no matter the quality.. And people need to stop comparing MJ/Quincy album sales to others because those sales went beyond a normal sales.. NOT just because it was quincy working on those albums but the timing and historic impact it made with videos and MTV.. Which was MJ and his team, Not quincy.. I am not taking anything from Quincy he was a master on those albums and really is a musical genius.

Bad coming off of the success of Thriller also helped it' sales... Meanwhile during Dangerous Michael was under horrible personal and public scrutiny which effected sales negatively.

comparing MJ sales against each other and using Quincy as the tool is JUST as unfair as comparing Off The Wall with Thriller.. Does not compare right? well Dangerous and History both outsold Off The Wall! And we know how Dangerous and Bad went back and forth for years and it was the anniversary versions of Bad along with re-releases that gave Bad the "Up"...

For Adele fans,haters, don't care'ers... She will never have an album that would outsell Thriller simply because album sales are not what they used to... it's a different era... It is freaking crazy that she sells what she sells in todays market though!! It's is actually very very impressive!

Thriller stood on teh shoulders of what Off The Wall had accomplished which is his 2nd greatest selling album

Hmm.. It's isn't. It's actually his lowest selling album after Invincible.

Thriller 66 MIL
Bad 32 MIL
Dangerous 30 MIL
Off The Wall 20 MIL
HIStory 20 MIL

http://www.mediatraffic.de/alltime-album-chart.htm

as far as the Beatles catalogue, most people didn't even know he bought it until well into the 90s

But the media did. Also that's not entirely true.

losing half his fanbase was not associated w/that catalog

He did not lose half of his fan base. He did lose some fans after the media persecution because of the purchase of The Beatles catalogue.

if you sale 47 million with one album and the very next you sell 25 million, that means you lost 22 million, which is as close to half as you can get

Half of the people who bought the album, not fans.

and quiet as its kept, in regards to the media, in the grand scheme, they did not really bring up the subject of his lightened complexion until after the Black or White video appeared.....and specially when he himself recited the words "I'm not gonna spend my life being a color"

Not true. Media speculations about "skin bleaching" started before the release of the Bad album. And from that period to 1993 Oprah interview passed 6 years. Far too long time for media speculations and accusations of him wanting to be white and change his race. And when he finally admitted that he has skin condition no one believed him because of those media speculations. The damage was irreversible. Until the autopsy report revealed that he had vitiligo no one outside the fan base believed him. He waited to long with that and he did lose some of his fan base because of that (especially among black audience).

he thought after Bad, if he became a exclusive international artists, he thought he would be able to compensate for the sale support he lost in his home country, and when it became clear that wasn't going to happen, that's why he did the Oprah interview

and if he had not lost that number of fan support, there's a very good chance that he would have ever given an explanation at all

He didn't want to be exclusive anything. US leg of the Dangerous Tour was planned. If it weren't for 1993 accusations he would tour the US also. He didn't have to compensate anything. He toured the world to expand his market and to gain new fans. He did lose some of the fans in US, that I agree with, mainly because of the things I said before (media persecution because of the purchase of The Beatles catalogue and media speculations and accusations of skin bleaching). For the same reasons he also lost a lot of general record buying public that are not necessary the fans of the artist but they buy what's hot on the charts at the moment, like they did with Thriller.

I'd beg to differ about the media not bringing it up until the "Black or White video"-starting with the summer of 85 and the first hyperbaric chamber story, all you read about and people told me about were Michael changing his look-he wasn't black anymore, he was trying to look exactly like Diana Ross, blah, blah. People were ragging on him for not doing anything for the community, (which was so untrue), that he was wealthy, reclusive and out of touch-hence, the attempt to get back to his roots with the BAD video. I heard all that junk on the news and in the papers and it was parroted by my co-workers.

There are tons of videos of reporters asking fans at the Bad Tour about his changed looks, one even calls him a 'universal beige."

Exactly! And all that sh*t started to happen, like you said, in 1985! The reason, not just that he broke every record set by The Beatles (media and critics all time favourite act) and Elvis, he also bought their entire catalogue! Not to mention, MJ was black! In 1985 that was not acceptable for black people in their beliefs. And over night, like MJ said, they called him a woman, gay, that he wants to bleach his skin to look white, that he wants to buy elephant man bones, that he sleeps in hyperbaric chamber...).

that was spoken by the sensible minded press, or media journalists who put the human toll over the entertainment value and that was a dime a dozen, but commercial media representatives didn't say a word about it

Every media outlet talked about that and about his cosmetic surgeries.

the hyperbaric chamber story was started by him as he sold that picture of himself in that hyperbaric chamber to the National Enquirer and earned half a million dollar whop off of it.......

That's a story I think told by Frank Di Leo. Never confirmed as far as I know. In 2003 interview MJ said that it was media bullsh*t. If you have a source where that story is confirmed by a credible source (not by Di Leo - we all know what other stories about MJ he made up) please give me the link to read about that.

as far as the "international beige" comment, that was spoken by a british journalist right after Bad was released

Yeah, the journalists are the media.

Every media outlet talked about that and about his cosmetic surgeries.

That's a story I think told by Frank Di Leo. Never confirmed as far as I know. In 2003 interview MJ said that it was media bullsh*t. If you have a source where that story is confirmed by a credible source (not by Di Leo - we all know what other stories about MJ he made up) please give me the link to read about that.

Yeah, the journalists are the media.

Exactly! And all that sh*t started to happen, like you said, in 1985! The reason, not just that he broke every record set by The Beatles (media and critics all time favourite act) and Elvis, he also bought their entire catalogue! Not to mention, MJ was black! In 1985 that was not acceptable for black people in their beliefs. And over night, like MJ said, they called him a woman, gay, that he wants to bleach his skin to look white, that he wants to buy elephant man bones, that he sleeps in hyperbaric chamber...).

yeah, exactly, everything you said is absolutely true. Michael didn't plant any of those bullshit stories himself, like someone said earlier...I don't care who said what, if it's not from Michael himself, I don't believe it. and if you're a fan, you should be ashamed for believing someone else over Michael. I thought fans knew better than that? wow, I guess I was wrong :(
I am truly shocked and sad after reading some of the comments on here, by "fans"

Ok, this is a bit O/T, but has Adele's new album already reached 15 million in sales? I hope it doesn't catch up to Thriller.
Michael deserves to hold that record for eternity.

Probably. She sold 14.970.000 copies just in 2015. It's more than 15 MIL by now. I was worried a bit at firts but now I'm sure she won't even come close to Thriller's 66 MIL copies. Last week she sold "just" 272.000 copies. Her sales started to drop quickly but she released the second single from her album last week so we'll see if her album sales are going to go up again.

It is true, read The Magic and Madness and you will know :)

And J. Randy Taraborrelli is credible author why, how?

According to his manger at the time, Frank Dileo, those stories were given the go ahead by MJ.

Hahaha at Frank DiLeo. Another highly not credible source. If some of you forgot he was the one who sold the story to that piece of sh*t Roger Friedman that Michael recorded a whole new album at the Cascio's house at the fall of 2010. That's how all that sh*t started.

You shouldn't. You are obviously mistaken. Highly doubt MJ would ever say anything like that.

Michael didn't plant any of those bullshit stories himself, like someone said earlier...

But even if he did. Those stories were innocent. Even funny how people actually believed it. But he would not lose any fan and so many regular buying public because of stories like "sleeping in the hyperbaric chamber" and "buying elephant man's bones". The stories that hurt him and the sales of his albums are that he wanted to bleach his skin to look like a white man, that he wants to become a woman, that he don't like to be black, that he had 50 cosmetic surgeries just on his face... and all those stories are completely 100% fabricated. And all this came because of the reasons I mentioned before. The Beatles catalogue, his money and the fact that he didn't go out and told the truth about vitiligo for full 6 years which was in my opinion one of his biggest mistakes. If he went public with it right away he would receive sympathy from the public and even from parts of the media. This way by refusing to talk to them about it, they were frustrated and they started making up stories by themselves to hurt him so that they force him to talk to them. They didn't succeed but they did hurt his career with their agenda.

yeah, exactly, everything you said is absolutely true. Michael didn't plant any of those bullshit stories himself, like someone said earlier...I don't care who said what, if it's not from Michael himself, I don't believe it. and if you're a fan, you should be ashamed for believing someone else over Michael. I thought fans knew better than that? wow, I guess I was wrong :(
I am truly shocked and sad after reading some of the comments on here, by "fans"

A fan dont have to agree with everything an artist they enjoy listening to does

A fan dont have to agree with everything an artist they enjoy listening to does

what's that got to do with it? I never said anything about that. believing and agreeing are 2 different things

What do Thriller's sales and how they compare to the rest of MJ's albums have to do with the topic of this this thread? And what does it have to do with the topic what other documentaries of MJ's albums should be done?

Re: popularity

What about what I posted earlier in this thread.

It's not unique to Mike. There's a big drop from Purple Rain to Around The World In A Day & Born In The USA to Tunnel Of Love. Around The World was released a year later, no gap. None of the albums Prince & Bruce released before their biggest albums were as popular either.

It's already been told to him numerous times. He won't listen. He will keep repeating the same points over and over again:

Thriller's sales vs. the sales of the rest of MJ's albums
Quincy, Quincy, Quincy
MJ should not have planted stories and then he would have kept selling like during Thriller

But even if he did. Those stories were innocent. Even funny how people actually believed it. But he would not lose any fan and so many regular buying public because of stories like "sleeping in the hyperbaric chamber" and "buying elephant man's bones". The stories that hurt him and the sales of his albums are that he wanted to bleach his skin to look like a white man, that he wants to become a woman, that he don't like to be black, that he had 50 cosmetic surgeries just on his face... and all those stories are completely 100% fabricated. And all this came because of the reasons I mentioned before. The Beatles catalogue, his money and the fact that he didn't go out and told the truth about vitiligo for full 6 years which was in my opinion one of his biggest mistakes. If he went public with it right away he would receive sympathy from the public and even from parts of the media. This way by refusing to talk to them about it, they were frustrated and they started making up stories by themselves to hurt him so that they force him to talk to them. They didn't succeed but they did hurt his career with their agenda.
I don't know if it would've made much of a difference if he had told it sooner. while he didn't exactly write in Moonwalk he had vitiligo, he did write that he didn't bleach his skin. why couldn't people just believe that? becase they were so brainwashed by the media, that no matter what Michael did or said, they didn't believe it. I don't think he could've done anything much different that would have changed anything. why should he have to explain himself, if he didn't feel like it? it's not like he owed anyone an explanation. I don't blame him for not wanting to tell about it, because whatever medical problems you have, it's something that's personal, and just because you're the world biggest star who just happens to have this skin disorder, doesn't mean you should have to explain yourself to anybody

What do Thriller's sales and how they compare to the rest of MJ's albums have to do with the topic of this this thread? And what does it have to do with the topic what other documentaries of MJ's albums should be done?
what does anything that's being discussed in this thread have to do with the thread? :huh:

If u are saying Thriller sold 66 million and Bad sold 32 million, 66-32 is 34, that means he lost 34 million fans which is over 50%

No, I'm not saying that. I never said that. I said several times already that not all the people who buy someone's album are their fan. I bought Lady Gaga's The Fame Monster album because it was great. Does that make me fan of hers? No. I just liked that album. I didn't buy ARTPOP album because it was bad. Does that mean that she lost one fan? No. He did lose some of his fans during that period mainly because the media affected their opinions about MJ and because of the skin/race issues I mentioned before as it was also mentioned in that news report that you posted. But he definitely didn't lose 50% of his fan base. I don't understand what's not clear to you. The drastic difference between those numbers are because of the regular record buying public. They were more interested in Thriller because in that period MJ was seen as a national hero and by 1985 all that turned against him.

I'll quote myself:

"He did lose some of the fans in US, that I agree with, mainly because of the things I said before (media persecution because of the purchase of The Beatles catalogue and media speculations and accusations of skin bleaching). For the same reasons he also lost a lot of general record buying public that are not necessary the fans of the artist but they buy what's hot on the charts at the moment, like they did with Thriller."

Most of the fans who did not buy Bad in the states who bought Thiller did not know he purchased that catalog

Do you even read my posts before replying? I'll quote myself again because I already addressed this same statement:

"And all that sh*t started to happen, like you said, in 1985! The reason, not just that he broke every record set by The Beatles (media and critics all time favourite act) and Elvis, he also bought their entire catalogue! Not to mention, MJ was black! In 1985 that was not acceptable for black people in their beliefs. And over night, like MJ said, they called him a woman, gay, that he wants to bleach his skin to look white, that he wants to buy elephant man bones, that he sleeps in hyperbaric chamber...)."

And OTW did provide the foundation for Thriller because without it, there would have no Thriller, no Bad, no Dangerous, no History, no Invincible

Who said it didn't? That is a well known fact. I just corrected you that it's his "2nd greatest selling album" which is not. Not even close. As I said "it's actually his lowest selling album after Invincible".

Last edited:

No, I'm not saying that. I never said that. I said several times already that not all the people who buy someone's album are their fan. I bought Lady Gaga's The Fame Monster album because it was great. Does that make me fan of hers? No. I just liked that album. I didn't buy ARTPOP album because it was bad. Does that mean that she lost one fan? No. He did lose some of his fans during that period mainly because the media affected their opinions about MJ and because of the skin/race issues I mentioned before as it was also mentioned in that news report that you posted. But he definitely didn't lose 50% of his fan base. I don't understand what's not clear to you. The drastic difference between those numbers are because of the regula record buying public. They were more interested in Thriller because in that period MJ was seen as a national hero and by 1985 all that turned against him.

I'll quote myself:

"He did lose some of the fans in US, that I agree with, mainly because of the things I said before (media persecution because of the purchase of The Beatles catalogue and media speculations and accusations of skin bleaching). For the same reasons he also lost a lot of general record buying public that are not necessary the fans of the artist but they buy what's hot on the charts at the moment, like they did with Thriller."

Do you even read my posts before replying? I'll quote myself again because I already adressed this same statement:

"And all that sh*t started to happen, like you said, in 1985! The reason, not just that he broke every record set by The Beatles (media and critics all time favourite act) and Elvis, he also bought their entire catalogue! Not to mention, MJ was black! In 1985 that was not acceptable for black people in their beliefs. And over night, like MJ said, they called him a woman, gay, that he wants to bleach his skin to look white, that he wants to buy elephant man bones, that he sleeps in hyperbaric chamber...)."

Who said it didn't? That is a well known fact. I just corrected you that it's his "2nd greatest selling album" which is not. Not even close. As I said "it's actually his lowest selling album after Invincible".

The media didn't affect people's opinion, especially those who bought Jackson Five's records from the very beginning, 22 million people cant be misled like that on a whim, not during that time

He did not just lose some fans in America, it was anywhere from 17-19 milion, which is stunning considering his stature

Michael was the same black person who broke all the album sales records and dropped all those great videos and he was the most respected music figure in the country by a mile in 1983, Thriller had already outsold the Beatles and Elvis most successful albums sales wise

I agree.

With the Beatles catalog, it wasnt that the media didnt like it

That's not true. It's actually pretty nicely pictured in Bad 25 movie with that Playboy magazine quote and with Billboard journalist interview. White critics and white media owners couldn't stand the fact that black man owns The Beatles (biggest white band of all times) (simbolic?) and that the best selling album of all times is by a black man.

The media didn't affect people's opinion
yeah, I don't think it did either. like the most common comments from people who are not fans goes: "I like his music, but I don't like him" or "his music is great, but he's a weirdo"

The media didn't affect people's opinion

Yes it did. Did you watch the youtube clip you posted before posting it? Did you watch Bad 25? Maybe you should watch it.

22 million people cant be misled like that on a whim, not during that time

Not all of them have been misled. Some of them just didn't want to buy a Michael Jackson record because: "The drastic difference between those numbers are because of the regular record buying public. They were more interested in Thriller because in that period MJ was seen as a national hero and by 1985 all that turned against him."

He did not just lose some fans in America, it was anywhere from 17-19 milion, which is stunning considering his stature

He did not. But he gained a lot more fans in Europe, Russia and Asia. He did not lose 17-19 million fans. Nowhere close to that number.

I don't know if it would've made much of a difference if he had told it sooner. while he didn't exactly write in Moonwalk he had vitiligo, he did write that he didn't bleach his skin. why couldn't people just believe that?

Because they are people. People don't believe to someone (especially Michael Jackson at that point) just because they say something. Like no one outside of the fan community believed him after the Oprah show. Remember that in 1986-1987 no one ever heard about vitiligo. They didn't even know that the disease exists and they didn't think that it's possible to lose pigmentation. It would have made huge difference.

becase they were so brainwashed by the media, that no matter what Michael did or said, they didn't believe it. I don't think he could've done anything much different that would have changed anything. why should he have to explain himself, if he didn't feel like it? it's not like he owed anyone an explanation. I don't blame him for not wanting to tell about it, because whatever medical problems you have, it's something that's personal, and just because you're the world biggest star who just happens to have this skin disorder, doesn't mean you should have to explain yourself to anybody

Yeah, I agree with you. And Michael did the right thing. But we are not living in a perfect world. People's personal health issues should be private and that should be respected. But if he came out with it in 1985-1986 or just after Thriller and took of his make up in front of the camera (like that model did recently; or even if he just released some photos without the make up) that would make a huge difference. He could have set a new foundation to help battle the new disease and help finding the cure. He would have been seen as a hero for doing that and instead of hate he would have received praise and sympathy from public and the media.

like the most common comments from people who are not fans goes: "I like his music, but I don't like him" or "his music is great, but he's a weirdo"

And they think like that because the media wants them to think like that.

Re: popularity

It's already been told to him numerous times. He won't listen. He will keep repeating the same points over and over again:

Thriller's sales vs. the sales of the rest of MJ's albums
Quincy, Quincy, Quincy
MJ should not have planted stories and then he would have kept selling like during Thriller
It seems that poster is only responding to people defending Mike, but not that the same thing happened to other acts. And acts like Bruce Springsteen and Norah Jones had little if any negative press. What's his/her excuse for their sales dropping? There's some celebs who did get a lot of tabloid press like Charlie Sheen and it hasn't hurt his career much. He got fired from Two And A Half Men and got another show right after.

But if he came out with it in 1985-1986 or just after Thriller and took of his make up in front of the camera (like that model did recently; or even if he just released some photos without the make up) that would make a huge difference. He could have set a new foundation to help battle the new disease and help finding the cure. He would have been seen as a hero for doing that and instead of hate he would have received praise and sympathy from public and the media.

^Apart from the fact he felt it was nobody's business and people should just focus on the music, do you realize how extremely difficult it would have been for him to be so open about something so personal? For someone who was already hiding behind sunglasses and surgery masks to feel a little more private in such a public life, it's a lot to ask to show the world your biggest insecurity. Having the disease does not mean he had to become an advocate for it - we shouldn't expect him to have become some type of pioneer for vitiligo, just because he happened to have it. He didn't ask for it and he didn't owe it to anyone to do so.
I'll admit I often think about what would have happened if Michael would've been straight forward about it. Sometimes I'm frustrated that he left room for speculation, but then I quickly realize how selfish and unfair it is to think that way. He's the one that had to go through it and he had every right to keep that as private as he wanted to.

Anyways! This has probably been discussed before but I've kind of lost track of the actual OTW discussion in this thread.. does anyone have any clue if people outside the US will be able to watch the documentary online somewhere?

^Apart from the fact he felt it was nobody's business and people should just focus on the music, do you realize how extremely difficult it would have been for him to be so open about something so personal? For someone who was already hiding behind sunglasses and surgery masks to feel a little more private in such a public life, it's a lot to ask to show the world your biggest insecurity. Having the disease does not mean he had to become an advocate for it - we shouldn't expect him to have become some type of pioneer for vitiligo, just because he happened to have it. He didn't ask for it and he didn't owe it to anyone to do so.
I'll admit I often think about what would have happened if Michael would've been straight forward about it. Sometimes I'm frustrated that he left room for speculation, but then I quickly realize how selfish and unfair it is to think that way. He's the one that had to go through it and he had every right to keep that as private as he wanted to.

I agree with everything you wrote. I just said that there would be no media backlash and that it wouldn't affected his career the way it did if he did come out with it. I respect his decision.

^somehow I'm not convinced the reaction would've been that positive either way. I feel like he still would've had a lot of critics. Especially since a lot of people love to tie in his plastic surgeries with his change of skin tone (as part of the big 'becoming white' scheme :smilerolleyes:) Oh well, I guess we'll never know.

Because they are people. People don't believe to someone (especially Michael Jackson at that point) just because they say something. Like no one outside of the fan community believed him after the Oprah show. Remember that in 1986-1987 no one ever heard about vitiligo. They didn't even know that the disease exists and they didn't think that it's possible to lose pigmentation. It would have made huge difference.
I know all of that, and my point was that people should have believed him, but they were way too brainwashed with the tabloid junk
and there is absolutely NO EXCUSE for not believing someone when they sit down and talk about it, opening up all the way, the way he did with Oprah. I don't care who it is and what it is. and I don't care WHEN he did it. those people who watched it and didn't believe him, are just plain ignorant by choice
it does not matter that no one had ever heard about vitiligo. if he (or anyone else for that matter) said it, they should've believed him. the only reason people didn't was because they were too brainwashed. if no tabloid press existed, no one would have had a problem believing him, as they wouldn't have been brainwashed with those stories. and the skin color wasn't the only thing. what about the plastic surgery, "weird" behavior and all of that. people didn't believe him about that, either. because to them, he was just a weirdo who bleached his skin, so it was obvious he lied about everything else as well. and that's why people didn't think they had a reason to believe anything he said

And they think like that because the media wants them to think like that.
well, my point of that post, (I should have been more specific), was to the person who said it didn't affect peoples opinions, and I was thinking about the music, which is why I posted those quotes I did. while people might not have been too fond of him (for all the wrong reasons), EVERYONE loved his music, and nothing could affect that...

Last edited:
EVERYONE loved his music
I don't know about all that. I have relatives who don't listen to secular music at all, only gospel. I've known heavy metal fans who say any non-metal music is not real music. I've also known people who talk trash about any mainstream popular act and feels anyone that sells a lot is a "commercial sellout". They talk about these obscure underground goth & punk bands. They brag about some of these acts selling a few hundred copies, as this makes them real instead of popular. If an act they like happens to get mainstream popular, they stop listening to them and say they sold out.

Back