MJAN Open Letter to the Jackson Family - UPDATE MJAN 2nd Open letter PG 19 (Not a MJJC letter)

Re: MJAN Open Letter to the Jackson Family

It should be noted that the letter does not originate with MJJC. MJAN is an entirely separate organization, with a very diverse membership in terms of nationality, culture, age, and ethnicity.

(edit) In terms of "tone," I find this letter to be far milder than some of the posts that have been allowed to remain in the "Tribute" discussion thread, and in threads about the family and their various activities. The letter represents the opinions, of some people.

Indeed. The letter might be conceived better if it was more...constructive? More of a proposal than a demand? In fact, I feel that they're more likely to label us as the "not-so-true" fans, than listen to a word in that letter.

Truth be told, I don't exactly agree with everything that was said in it either. For instance, I am pleased with what the Estate has done to keep the finances healthy, but I'm not pleased with their effort in "preserving Michael's legacy". To me, they seem to be more interested in their reputation than Michael's legacy (unless, I've been slow in keeping up-to-date with the MJ news).

But I do agree with the point that they should stop acting as if we are fans of the entire Jackson clan. It may be so for some, but not all.

I agree with all the points in it. Personally, I would have added something about Paris being online without any adult supervision, sharing too much of her private life, and encouraged in doing so by auntie La Tonta. I will never state enough how wrong this is.

As far as the form of the letter goes, I have to say I agree with Qbees and Ginvid. I understand and share the anger, disappointment, even disgust in some cases. But in my opinion, the words and tone work against the ideas. We can't command this family, they are free individuals. Like no one can command us. The thing is, I believe the only thing any reader would remember about the letter are the words and tone used. Which is a shame, because, again, the points are great, and needed to be expressed. They need to know we dont buy their shady scams, we disapprove of them using Michael every 5s to sell something or get 15 more minutes on a TV screen. That them using the kids is outrageous and an insult to Michael's wishes. Basically that loving Michael doesnt mean we love them too. That if they want respect, they'll have to earn it like anybody else.
I think I would have liked this letter more if it was a statement, and not a kind of scolding lecture.

One other thing too : some of these "orders" are also a bit ironic considering the constant public bickering happening inside the fan community, even if it doesnt come from those who wrote this letter. A bit out of place IMO. Lots of fans dont respect Michael's wishes either, because it's easier on a selfish level. But that's another story.

(edit) In terms of "tone," I find this letter to be far milder than some of the posts that have been allowed to remain in the "Tribute" discussion thread, and in threads about the family and their various activities. The letter represents the opinions, of some people.

Even the tone is milder than some of the posts (I don't understand why those extremely rude and disrespectful posts are allowed at all) in the tribute thread and threads in the 2300 Jackson Street section, the tone of the letter is still too dictatorial, as if fans can control what the Jacksons can or cannot do.

If you receive a letter written in such way, what would you feel? Would you listen to the writer's concerns? Instead of openning up a communnication channel, I'm afraid this letter will shut down any communications.

The difference I personally see is that those threads are not addressed to the Jacksons. They are for fans to share info and feelings. The letter is supposed to be read by the family.

The difference I personally see is that those threads are not addressed to the Jacksons. They are for fans to share info and feelings. The letter is supposed to be read by the family.

Exactly....the forum is a platform to vent, to let it all out...Albeit, some of the hateful comments aren't needed on this forum....It's just unnecessary...cuz, let's be honest, no one wants to read that shit...I know for myself, I will stop reading a post if it's littered in hateful comments, even IF the concerns are valid....The letter will be viewed upon the same way.....

But as for a statement addressed to the Jacksons, where pro-action is needed, I feel this letter won't go very far....It's never really about WHAT is said, but HOW it's said...That's just the way it works...As a lot of people have already stated, no matter how great and valid the content is, the paternalistic tone will mask that....and ultimately the message will be lost....

.But as for a statement addressed to the Jacksons, where pro-action is needed, I feel this letter won't go very far....It's never really about WHAT is said, but HOW it's said...That's just the way it works...As a lot of people have already stated, no matter how great and valid the content is, the paternalistic tone will mask that....and ultimately the message will be lost....

And it's really too bad, because the message is so right, and they really need to hear it.

And, if the family does not respond to the letter. I would not blame them this time. Again and again, fans simply have no right to control the Jacksons' behaviors, just like how I have no control of how my neighbors raise their children. Fans are not dictators or masters to the Jacksons. Is it frustrating to see all the embarassing fiascos that the Jacksons involved themselves in? Of course, definitely yes. At the same time, I'm also frustrated at many social injustice in the world, which I have no control neither. It's life.

And it's really too bad, because the message is so right, and they really need to hear it.

And they really need to hear more, in my opinion. Maybe they should have been invited to the forums to have better communication and understanding with the fans, assuming the harshest of the posts can be toned down.

And, if the family does not respond to the letter. I would not blame them this time. Again and again, fans simply have no right to control the Jacksons' behaviors, just like how I have no control of how my neighbors raise their children. Fans are not dictators or masters to the Jacksons. Is it frustrating to see all the embarassing fiascs that the Jacksons involved themselves in? Of course, definitely yes. At the same time, I'm also frustrated at many social injustice in the world, which I have no control neither. It's life.

That's where I will disagree, very respectfully though. :)

We have the power to change things, whether it's social injustice anywhere in the world, or the way the Jacksons behave. Not by lecturing them though I agree. But I believe by showing them we dont follow when they use Michael's name for their own gain, but maybe we will if they do something of their own, or behave respectfully.

We have that power simply because we remain their main targeted buyers. It's sadly efficient whether you want to fight animal testing or underage kids used to sell crappy goods.

And they really need to hear more, in my opinion. Maybe they should have been invited to the forums to have better communication and understanding with the fans, assuming the harshest of the posts can be toned down.

I doubt they would want to come at this point, but maybe they read threads especially these days, to know what the fans think. I believe the way we feel about Michael, the bond we have with this man, is not something they can understand. That's the main obstacle to any understanding.

But I also think, like you said, they need to know where we stand as a whole, as far as they're concerned.

Absolutely....:) But the way things are brought forth is everything! I admit, everything I say doesn't always follow this rule, but we all learn....If we engage in some tact, diplomacy, the message will be much more effective and respected...Instead, it'll just stir defensiveness and ultimately, will be ignored...

That's where I will disagree, very respectfully though. :)

We have the power to change things, whether it's social injustice anywhere in the world, or the way the Jacksons behave. Not by lecturing them though I agree. But I believe by showing them we dont follow when they use Michael's name for their own gain, but maybe we will if they do something of their own, or behave respectfully.

We have that power simply because we remain their main targeted buyers. It's sadly efficient whether you want to fight animal testing or underage kids used to sell crappy goods.

I agree with you that the "power" we have is our purchasing power. We have a choice of not attending the tribute concert they orgainze, not buying any memoirs they write or any albums they produce. Bascially, we can walk away from their products. We can exericise our influence that way. That's it.

However, we cannot control how they mourn Michael or how they communicate among each other in the family. If they want to argue among each other through public twitters, it's not my position to tell them not to. We don't have the right to tell them what careers they should pursue neither. Of course, their singing careers will not florish without fans support. Then, let market power does its magic. If there is no demand, there will be no supply. That's why I said fans cannot change their behaviors - only the type of products they create.

This letter, however, calls for not only a change of business decisions, but a change of how the family carry themselves in public, how they communicated with each other. We have no right to do that.

Oh, yes, I totally agree with you on that. There are things in this letter no one here would accept being told. And that many fans could take personally too. lol

It doesn't matter if the letter was great in tone or not, the message is still spot on. And guess what? The Jackson Family won't respond. They never do. If they do I would be surprised....

What's sad is that it had to come to this. The family does not care what the fans think and that's unfortunate.

I tell you what bothers me more than anything... seeing how Paris is treated on Twitter. It's beyond troubling seeing this child harassed and stalked to no end. I don't see any parental supervision from her guardians, uncles, aunts and cousins regarding this twitter thing and that's bad. She's constantly defending herself and her father - she constantly stating that she's a Jackson to these haters. I see people on twitter telling her to admit that she's white and not mixed, and that Michael is not her father. Paris feeds into it by defending herself and her father and NOT A DAMN THING is being done by the adults in her life to stop this ish. I see the fans trying to protect her and going against the haters but no one from the family.

That's my concern. OK end rant.... As far as the letter is concerned? It is what it is.

I doubt they would want to come at this point, but maybe they read threads especially these days, to know what the fans think. I believe the way we feel about Michael, the bond we have with this man, is not something they can understand. That's the main obstacle to any understanding.

But I also think, like you said, they need to know where we stand as a whole, as far as they're concerned.

On the bright side, the letter came from MJAN. So, maybe they won't view all MJ fans as "not-so-true" fans. But if they have read the threads on the forums, and still come off the way they do. Then I feel that the letter was pointless from the very beginning as then, clearly, they do not care much about what the fans have to say.

To me, understanding, communication and common consent is something that is necessary for the Jackson family to lead this...erm...army of MJ fans, or whatever one calls it. Without understanding in the least bit, the fans will probably always follow their own seperate vision of "what Michael would have wanted". Which is sad really, as we used to be united under one person. But now the fans are having to lecture the Jackson family of who's good and who's bad, what they should and should not do, etc.

It doesn't matter if the letter was great in tone or not, the message is still spot on. And guess what? The Jackson Family won't respond. They never do. If they do I would be surprised....

What's sad is that it had to come to this. The family does not care what the fans think and that's unfortunate.

I tell you what bothers me more than anything... seeing how Paris is treated on Twitter. It's beyond troubling seeing this child harassed and stalked to no end. I don't see any parental supervision from her guardians, uncles, aunts and cousins regarding this twitter thing and that's bad. She's constantly defending herself and her father - she constantly stating that she's a Jackson to these haters. I see people on twitter telling her to admit that she's white and not mixed, and that Michael is not her father. Paris feeds into it by defending herself and her father and NOT A DAMN THING is being done by the adults in her life to stop this ish. I see the fans trying to protect her and going against the haters but no one from the family.

That's my concern. OK end rant.... As far as the letter is concerned? It is what it is.

That's terrible. She should be off twitter. What does a 13 year old need to deal with that? I am older and I wouldn't want to deal with it.

To be honest, I believe 99.9% of the fans I know agree with that letter. I agree too, on almost every point, as I said. It's not something that just happened overnight, even if a lot of people remembered some statements and lyrics of the past. THE JACKSONS caused that anger. They put our respect, and sometimes love, to the test. They have failed. Honestly, to me, the leading of any "army of fans" is to be stored in the utopia drawer. That's not going to happen. It's too late, and they went too far.

That's terrible. She should be off twitter. What does a 13 year old need to deal with that? I am older and I wouldn't want to deal with it.

Teenagers and their twitter and facebook. It's the "in-fashion" thing now so, I'm not surprised she went on it, although I expected her to be more private and secretive about it.

To be honest, I believe 99.9% of the fans I know agree with that letter. I agree too, on almost every point, as I said. It's not something that just happened overnight, even if a lot of people remembered some statements and lyrics of the past. THE JACKSONS caused that anger. They put our respect, and sometimes love, to the test. They have failed. Honestly, to me, the leading of any "army of fans" is to be stored in the utopia drawer. That's not going to happen. It's too late, and they went too far.

Sigh...I guess it was a little bit of a hopeful, wishful thing initially, but by now, as you've mentioned, they've failed the fans on too many levels. Now, I'm just waiting for the next hopeful, wishful group to fall flat and end up on the fans' unofficial blacklist.

Last edited:

As soon as her account was discovered, and yes she did everything so it would be, FANS were the ones spreading the news all over the internet. 99% of her followers are adults, and fans of her dad's. Healthy for a kid that young? No

Last edited:

Right. It is what it is.

I highly doubt that "dialog" with the family was ever possible, given their various behaviors during the past two-plus years?

The letter doesn't mention Paris' highly public communications on social media, but yes, that's a concern, too. IMHO, a SERIOUS concern.

We can only know about "Michael's wishes" for his children from his own parenting of those children up to the time of his death. We know about the travel for the children, and their educational activities, their protection from media exposure, their good manners, and concern for social justice. Michael is not here anymore, but it doesn't take a huge leap-of-the-imagination to figure out that this is NOT it, in terms of continuity with how the children were being raised, under his care -- to now.

Michael never, EVER, used the children in any way to promote any of his projects/merchandising. I simply could not imagine him ever doing that. The image of Paris holding up a bottle of Joe's perfume, broke my heart, to pieces.

The "love Michael/love his family" is not a necessity. In any case, his CLOSEST family would be those precious children.

I do agree that the tone of this letter could've been presented alot better. People on a whole do not like being told what to do and I'm sure the Jackson's won't either. With that said, the letter had some great points and only shows the level of frustration the fan base has been experiencing since Michael's passing and as it relates to the attitudes and actions coming from his family.

Bottomline though, whether this letter was written with a bit less harshness or not, the Jackson family does not care what any of us as fans think or feel, they are gonna do what they wanna do and thats the truth. Some of them have clearly noted in the media that Michael would'nt be who he turned out to be if it was'nt for them, so, they are gonna go after what they feel they are entitled to......the great financial benefits that are to be gained from Michael's passing.

Oh and btw.....that photo of Paris holding up that bottle of tacky ass cologne was the final straw for me too. No way anyone could possibly think that MJ would've approved and I'm sure on this we all now what his reaction would be.

I think the kids should be at least 18 to be on twitter etc. Especially who they are they should have all the privacy right now because they will have to deal with a lot of things when they get older. Michael knew that. He wanted them away from things until they were older. He knew they would eventually have to hear and deal with things. That can't be avoided but not she is only 13.

I think the kids should be at least 18 to be on twitter etc. Especially who they are they should have all the privacy right now because they will have to deal with a lot of things when they get older. Michael knew that. He wanted them away from things until they were older. He knew they would eventually have to hear and deal with things. That can't be avoided but not she is only 13.

I agree. It's horrible how these adults and crazed people speak to her on twitter.

I agree with some of the points that was said. and it should be sent but with Love,love.

Right, that was something not covered in the MJAN letter, but it IS a serious concern. I am a mother, and my own child was not allowed to do this at that age, at all. We can deduce from Paris' behavior on social media, that there is little or NO supervision. And THAT is a tragedy.

According to the family, Michael's children weren't even allowed to watch HIS videos! (they do now, though) And WHY? Because Michael was SUCH a good father; he wanted those children to be raised without a sense of "entitlement" as celebrity children, but as REAL people. He wanted them to know him as a father, not as an "icon." I think he was RIGHT. Michael. . . . . was right. . . .

We ALL are aware of the pain Michael went through at losing his childhood. We have seen him cry about it, and we have heard him sing about it. He was so INCREDIBLY careful, not to inflict this on his own children. And now? It's heartbreaking. Just. . .heartbreaking. . . .

Actually, the LOVE in the MJAN letter is love for the CHILDREN -- Michael's CLOSEST family. Not that there is anything anyone can do about all this, from a distance. . . . . . . .

That's true. Michael didn't like to "shame his family" in public. Except, for his WILL -- which excluded ALL of them except for Katherine's support. That spoke volumes, didn't it?

I read Margaret Maldonado's book a few years ago and it struck me how Michael paid for everything while all of these people were living in Hayvenhurst. When it was remodeled Michael paid for it. When Havenhurst was damaged by an earthquake(?) the Jackson's moved to another home in Beverly Hills and Michael paid for it all. When Michael bought and moved to Neverland it was still Michael who paid the bills for Hayvenhurst.

Autumn, your post got me thinking. How much resentment must have built up inside Michael over all of this? In his last years when the financial issues must have been such a burden for him he still gave Katherine thousands of dollars a month ( I heard 60,000)
I am only guessing but seeing how sensative Michael was this must have caused him so much sorrow! Who was worrying about him when he was struggling? Who was telling Michael not to worry we are here for you and everything will be alright?
I remember reading in the paper after the will was read the guy in the Chicago Suntimes was talking about the 40% Michael left Katherine and how Michael must have done that because he knew KJ would take care of all the less fortunate Jackson's. He failed to realize the 40% was just for Katherine's lifetime and only given as an allowance.

I think the Jackson's failed to realize this too because I remember reading how the family was trying to get Katherine's 40% in 1 lump sum (I think it was like 99 million) But as we all know her 40% is returned to the estate upon her passing.

Who thinks this wasn't done on purpose? I say Michael knew exactly what he was doing. He must have felt like you can run me down in my life but you will not run my Estate in death. I say Bravo Michael!!! Good for you...

When I first read the letter I did think it was harsh at first but then all of these moments flashed in my head... LMP and Oprah laughing about MJ, Joseph plugging his record label only days after MJ left us, the kids on Oprah and the Jackson attempts to circumvent Michaels very own Estate. Harsh maybe but it has been years in the making

Finally I think of Jermaine at Michael's memorial at the Staple's Center when his said " I was his voice"

I think George Carlin knew who Michael Jackson's voice was when he said...

"I aint fucking with Michael Jackson fans... Attack him and you're already dead"

Right, that was something not covered in the MJAN letter, but it IS a serious concern. I am a mother, and my own child was not allowed to do this at that age, at all. We can deduce from Paris' behavior on social media, that there is little or NO supervision. And THAT is a tragedy.

According to the family, Michael's children weren't even allowed to watch HIS videos! (they do now, though) And WHY? Because Michael was SUCH a good father; he wanted those children to be raised without a sense of "entitlement" as celebrity children, but as REAL people. He wanted them to know him as a father, not as an "icon." I think he was RIGHT. Michael. . . . . was right. . . .

We ALL are aware of the pain Michael went through at losing his childhood. We have seen him cry about it, and we have heard him sing about it. He was so INCREDIBLY careful, not to inflict this on his own children. And now? It's heartbreaking. Just. . .heartbreaking. . . .

Actually, the LOVE in the MJAN letter is love for the CHILDREN -- Michael's CLOSEST family. Not that there is anything anyone can do about all this, from a distance. . . . . . . .

Michael did right with his children. I think he wanted unconditional love and he got that from his kids. He is just dad to them and I am glad he was able to have that kind of love in his life. Not being looked like a ATM or commodity but just as a person.

I read Margaret Maldonado's book a few years ago and it struck me how Michael paid for everything while all of these people were living in Hayvenhurst. When it was remodeled Michael paid for it. When Havenhurst was damaged by an earthquake(?) the Jackson's moved to another home in Beverly Hills and Michael paid for it all. When Michael bought and moved to Neverland it was still Michael who paid the bills for Hayvenhurst.

Autumn, your post got me thinking. How much resentment must have built up inside Michael over all of this? In his last years when the financial issues must have been such a burden for him he still gave Katherine thousands of dollars a month ( I heard 60,000)
I am only guessing but seeing how sensative Michael was this must have caused him so much sorrow! Who was worrying about him when he was struggling? Who was telling Michael not to worry we are here for you and everything will be alright?
I remember reading in the paper after the will was read the guy in the Chicago Suntimes was talking about the 40% Michael left Katherine and how Michael must have done that because he knew KJ would take care of all the less fortunate Jackson's. He failed to realize the 40% was just for Katherine's lifetime and only given as an allowance.

I think the Jackson's failed to realize this too because I remember reading how the family was trying to get Katherine's 40% in 1 lump sum (I think it was like 99 million) But as we all know her 40% is returned to the estate upon her passing.

Who thinks this wasn't done on purpose? I say Michael knew exactly what he was doing. He must have felt like you can run me down in my life but you will not run my Estate in death. I say Bravo Michael!!! Good for you...

When I first read the letter I did think it was harsh at first but then all of these moments flashed in my head... LMP and Oprah laughing about MJ, Joseph plugging his record label only days after MJ left us, the kids on Oprah and the Jackson attempts to circumvent Michaels very own Estate. Harsh maybe but it has been years in the making

Finally I think of Jermaine at Michael's memorial at the Staple's Center when his said " I was his voice"

I think George Carlin knew who Michael Jackson's voice was when he said...

"I aint fucking with Michael Jackson fans... Attack him and you're already dead"

Thank you. Yes, I suppose "years in the making" is accurate in terms of the MJAN letter. I know that in the early days, almost ALL fans had nothing but compassion and good wishes for that family, and empathized with their grief. That continued, with behavior after behavior, that was.. . . NOT good. And eventually, for some, those "good wishes" eroded into suspicion. And then, for some, alarm???

Jermaine really wasn't "Michael's voice." Michael had his own voice, and it was beautiful, indeed. His final WORDS were, "this is my will, and you aren't in it." Money doesn't necessarily equate with love, but yet it shows us where Michael's priorities were? His priority was his CHILDREN. The will tells us that. . . . . . . we don't have to GUESS what he was thinking. . . .

(edit) I can almost imagine him sitting with his attorneys and being asked, "And how much do you want to give to the rest of your family?" And him answering, "Nothing. NOTHING, at all."

Last edited:
Back