Mj's Magnum Opus

Isn't this a book?
magnum opus
?ma?n?m ???p?s,??p?s/
noun
a work of art, music, or literature that is regarded as the most important or best work that an artist, composer, or writer has produced.

What do you think are his magnum opus in terms of song and album?

Song I would say is 'Man In The Mirror' for most the album is 'Thriller' but to me, it will always be 'BAD'

kissybissy;4086173 said:
Isn't this a book?
Joe Vogels book is "Earth song -Michael's magnum opus" (I haven't read it yet).

For me, it will always be 'Billie Jean'.
Album: Bad.

Edit: I came back to edit my response, because I was thinking more about it and thought maybe it should be HIStory because of the personal aspect of it, not to mention some of his greatest songs.

But I was reading an American Masters piece from 2005 on Quincy Jones today and ran across this:

Jackson’s next collaboration with Jones, 1982’s Thriller, was more than an album; it was a major cultural moment. Thriller sold about 50 million copies, more than any other album in the history of recorded music. It generated a hysteria unseen in this country since the days of The Beatles in the 1960s and Elvis Presley the decade before. No record by anybody, black or white, in 20th century America, had caused the same stir as Thriller. About the making of the landmark album, Jones told Playboy: “All the brilliance that had been building inside Michael Jackson for twenty-five years just erupted. It’s like he was suddenly transformed from this gifted young man into a dangerous predatory animal. I’d known Michael since he was twelve years old, but it was like seeing and hearing him for the first time. I was electrified, and so was everybody else involved in the project.”

This paragraph could not be more true. There has never, ever been anything like "Thriller" that broke through gender lines, generation lines, and especially racial lines-and without even trying.

So album: Thriller

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/americanmasters/episodes/quincy-jones/the-story-of-an-american-musician/636/

Last edited:
Song: Billie Jean (also considering it's relevance for the general public, otherwise I'd go with Who Is It).
Album: Dangerous

Album: HIStory
Song: Earth Song

Agreed with this. HIStory is his most diverse and interesting album. HIStory + Dangerous... hard call to say which one is technically "better" but to me HIStory is my favorite Michael album and it's just simply amazing.

After reading Vogel's book, I agree that the magnum opus song is Earth Song. It encompasses everything that is Michael Jackson. For me, the album is Dangerous.

Book title is Earth Song: Inside Michael Jackson's Magnum Opus.

There are some of his songs that can be considered his best work. If I have to pick just one, I would pick Earth Song.

I have to agree with you there. Earth song for it's scale, epicness and originality (no other musician in 1990s deared this), and Dangerous because it have seven songs on there composed, arranged and co-produced by MJ, all from different angles both lyrically and sonically.
These are his seven most important songs off Dangerous that illustrate professional craftsmanship at it's peak:
*Jam
*In closet
*Black or White
*Who Is it
*Give in to Me
*Will You be There (second to Earth Song in sheer epicness)
*Dangerous

The thing that let's HIStory down is that it is almost too consistent in it's anger, bitterness and rage. But it's still a close second. The problem I have with Thriller is that while 3 of the most ingenious songs of his career are on Thriller (minus TGIM), it would have been more convincing he had more of his own compositions on their.

Back