MJ’s most unusual track

mj_frenzy

Proud Member
Country
Greece
Which is the most unusual track that Michael Jackson has ever recorded & officially released?

(in terms of melody and/or lyrics)

The first track that comes to my mind is "Shout".

Imma go with Jam and Blood On The Dancefloor and Wanna Be Starting Something.

Jam sounded soo different than the songs he had previously recorded prior to Dangerous. I remember playing Dangerous for the first time and I was just taken aback of how different it was compared to his earlier work. It was like he was talking but he wasn't, and the hornstabbs and the DJ scratching and the shattering glass and the Rap section. Wow. After Dangerous MJ made many type of Jam songs but back then it was a novelty coming from MJ.

Wanna Be Starting Something has to be the most peculiar song I have ever heard in popular music. Is there even a chorus for the song? The song is so loose without a defining structure, it's just all over the place, in the best way possible. Guitar solo, bridge after bridge, choir parts, acapella parts, instrumental breaks. That song is in general one of the most peculiar songs in popular music that I have ever heard.

Blood On The Dancefloor is another great one.

Wanna Be Starting Something has to be the most peculiar song I have ever heard in popular music. Is there even a chorus for the song? The song is so loose without a defining structure, it's just all over the place, in the best way possible. Guitar solo, bridge after bridge, choir parts, acapella parts, instrumental breaks. That song is in general one of the most peculiar songs in popular music that I have ever heard.

Agree.

SoCav;4085488 said:
I'd probably say In The Back

Nice choice.

thiron;4085489 said:
The first track that comes to my mind is "Shout".

It’s a pity that “Shout” has not gained recognition outside the fan base.

Themidwestcowboy;4085493 said:
Jam sounded soo different than the songs he had previously recorded prior to Dangerous. I remember playing Dangerous for the first time and I was just taken aback of how different it was compared to his earlier work. It was like he was talking but he wasn't, and the hornstabbs and the DJ scratching and the shattering glass and the Rap section. Wow. After Dangerous MJ made many type of Jam songs but back then it was a novelty coming from MJ.

“Jam” is also one of his most ferocious songs (it begins with a shattering & ends with an explosion).

Without a doubt "Little Susie". Everything about that song is unorthodox.

I'd say In The Closet, never heard anything like it really.

MineBlower;4085517 said:
I'd say In The Closet, never heard anything like it really.

I agree. The vocal embellishment of “In The Closet” makes this song totally unusual.

Will You Be There - starts with a classical intro - then genius pop - then spoken ending. - emotional, different - genius !

Who Is It

Going waaaaay back. . . . For me, it's no contest. "Your Ways." I think it's on the Triumph album, 1980, by the Jacksons, with Michael doing the lead vocal. Written by Jackie. The vocals are almost entirely falsetto, and are intensely sad/grieving, and haunting. Instruments have that Motown horn section sound, with the vocals weaving in and around the horns, and there is somewhat of a "house" beat. It seems like a song of profound loss, and it blew me away the first time I heard it. It still does.

The first thing that came to my mind was Tabloid Junkie. There is just so much going on in that song. However, I love listening to it. I would also have to say Little Susie. I remember thinking "what on earth made him write this?" It's beautiful, but very haunting and sad.

What an interesting thread! :yes: I immediately thought of Morphine.

I thought of 2000 Watts. Very unusual song (production-wise) and lyrics.

To be honest, I think a lot of Michael's self-written songs are nothing like what anyone else would write. He had a unique style.

There is no another Billie Jean, WBSS, Who Is It, TDCAU, WDAN, DSTYGE, Smooth Criminal, Little Susie, Heartbreak Hotel etc. etc. in pop music history.

2000 watts, morphine, Speechless : masterpieces.

I'd probably say In The Back

Seriously, this track is totally awesome! So mysterious! The arrangement is so rich, the production is grand and innovative. What a song, if only he could release the full version.

To be honest, I think a lot of Michael's self-written songs are nothing like what anyone else would write. He had a unique style.

There is no another Billie Jean, WBSS, Who Is It, TDCAU, WDAN, DSTYGE, Smooth Criminal, Little Susie, Heartbreak Hotel etc. etc. in pop music history.
Totally agree to which I add Monkey Business, Scared of the Moon, Morphine, some others mentioned and so many others if not just about everything else.

my vote for now though:

Blood on the Dance Floor

Last edited:
Seriously, this track is totally awesome! So mysterious! The arrangement is so rich, the production is grand and innovative. What a song, if only he could release the full version.

Is there a full version?

I second Dewey. Morphine is an experience in itself, very unique.

Interesting topic.

I'd say a few......Wanna Be Startin Somethin, Morphine, Remember The Time, D.S, and Speed Demon to an extent,

I would have also said Morphine. And If You Dont Love Me always struck me as a rather unususal track in MJs catalogue.

Last edited:
Autumn II;4085555 said:
Going waaaaay back. . . . For me, it's no contest. "Your Ways." I think it's on the Triumph album, 1980, by the Jacksons, with Michael doing the lead vocal. Written by Jackie. The vocals are almost entirely falsetto, and are intensely sad/grieving, and haunting. Instruments have that Motown horn section sound, with the vocals weaving in and around the horns, and there is somewhat of a "house" beat. It seems like a song of profound loss, and it blew me away the first time I heard it. It still does.

Although this song resembles too much (in terms of production & sound), the “Off The Wall” tracks, its vocals are very unusual indeed.

dewey;4085590 said:
What an interesting thread! :yes: I immediately thought of Morphine.

This particular song is very different in a frightening way.

Don91;4085903 said:
I would have also said Morphine. And If You Dont Love Me always struck me as a rather unususal track in MJs catalogue.

“If You Don’t Love Me” is a rather childish song (instead of unusual).

To me, HIStory. But I like it.
I just think that the transition between screaming and singing softly is cool! but strange on the first hear.

The ones that came to mind for me right off the rip were BOTDF, Is It Scary....actually the whole BOTDF cd.
Little Susie.
Maybe Cheater and TII too.

Back