MTV's Blatant Disrespect Of Michael on Snapchat

Given the nature of Snapchat, MTV have new stories up and it's gone now.

respect77;4163362 said:
Rihanna did not need to talk about MJ when she received the award. It was her award, not an award to MJ. Both she and Drake mentioned his name when receiving/giving the award. The only other artists who did before them was Britney in 2011. Others (including Beyoncé) didn't even mention the fact the award was named after him.

The award contains his name so if they didn't mentioned Michael's name while giving/receiving the award, that would've been a totally different problem. He inspired her, she received something related to him, on his birthday and she didn't even take 5 seconds to say a few words for him.

The award contains his name so if they didn't mentioned Michael's name while giving/receiving the award, that would've been a totally different problem. He inspired her, she received something related to him, on his birthday and she didn't even take 5 seconds to say a few words for him.

Well she already had to deal with MTV's trashy planned attempt to have Beyonce steal her shine on what was supposed to be her night, so I'm sure that mentioning MJ's influence was the last thing on her mind, and she did mention his name in relation to the award.

I don't take ANY bullshit when it comes to Michael, but I really don't think Rihanna insulted him in any way. :/

Tony R;4163361 said:
It's threads like this that make people think MJ fans are mental.
I have to kinda agree a bit-save the outrage for something important.
Saw on the news last night she beat Madonna's record. Lots of people beat his record. Even Janet has more. Who's it named for though?
It's not like MTV has a lot of high prestige anymore or it was 2002-2003 and they DID treat him like dirt. Everybody should have just boycotted the station back then.

Eta: didn't Jimmy Fallon and JayZ say Michael's name when presenting? I'll get outraged if they start calling it the Beyoncé vanguard award.

Last edited:
lougrizli;4163421 said:
He inspired her, she received something related to him, on his birthday and she didn't even take 5 seconds to say a few words for him.

It wasn't his birthday.

Pink Diamond Princess;4163422 said:
Well she already had to deal with MTV's trashy planned attempt to have Beyonce steal her shine on what was supposed to be her night, so I'm sure that mentioning MJ's influence was the last thing on her mind, and she did mention his name in relation to the award.

I agree that Rihanna never meant any disrespect (and honestly, any MJ fan who even thinks that needs to seriously get over themselves).

However, it wasn't just Rihanna's night, Beyoncé won 7 awards too so good for her. How exactly do you propose Beyoncé tried to steal Rihanna's shine though? By performing for 15 minutes? Well so did Michael in 1995, on the very same night R.E.M. won the MJ Video Vanguard award. Surely you wouldn't say Michael was trying to steal R.E.M.'s shine...? I mean there's no difference.

Last edited:
I agree what mtv did was wrong & not required at all. But, ignoring this altogether instead of fighting it out is probably the better option in this case. As they say, adding fuel to the fire makes it even more worse!

MTV you f#%^ing ingrates! You suck when you put in reality shows in your network not caring about music, music videos, concerts, etc. at all and you still suck today especially when you spew disrespectful tactics towards Michael.

You need some changes and you also need you brains checked.

To me it looks like MTV snapchat is run by teenager who thinks their favourite artist is better than other artists and added a few famous names to show fingers at:smilerolleyes:

Anyways, I noticed that Madonna and Gaga fans are as much upset of their fav being disrespected by this foolery, so I guess that makes them bad fans too:D

I agree what mtv did was wrong & not required at all. But, ignoring this altogether instead of fighting it out is probably the better option in this case. As they say, adding fuel to the fire makes it even more worse!

Thanks

HIStoric;4163429 said:
It wasn't his birthday.

However, it wasn't just Rihanna's night, Beyoncé won 7 awards too so good for her. How exactly do you propose Beyoncé tried to steal Rihanna's shine though? By performing for 15 minutes? Well so did Michael in 1995, on the very same night R.E.M. won the MJ Video Vanguard award. Surely you wouldn't say Michael was trying to steal R.E.M.'s shine...? I mean there's no difference.

TBH, yes I DO think it was a set up by MTV for Rihanna's shine to be stolen, and I have many reasons for thinking so that I don't feel like detailing in this thread.
All I have to say though is that Michael and REM is different that Beyonce and Rihanna, the music industry has changed since 1995.
I also don't think that MTV would let Adele get up there and perform almost a whole album on the night of Beyonce winning a big award.
Were going to have to agree to disagree with this one.

We need both the aggressive as well as non aggressive MJ fans in the community to balance things out. Everyone is correct in their own respect. Sometimes aggression is the only way to go where keeping silent wouldn't solve the problem. In this case though, I'd prefer the latter as even though wrong it's not an extremely serious issue. :)

Pink Diamond Princess;4163476 said:
TBH, yes I DO think it was a set up by MTV for Rihanna's shine to be stolen, and I have many reasons for thinking so that I don't feel like detailing in this thread.
All I have to say though is that Michael and REM is different that Beyonce and Rihanna, the music industry has changed since 1995.
I also don't think that MTV would let Adele get up there and perform almost a whole album on the night of Beyonce winning a big award.
Were going to have to agree to disagree with this one.

Hahah yes they would, that'd just bring in more viewers which is their ultimate end goal. In fact other big names such as Taylor Swift, Sam Smith, Nicki Minaj, Ariana Grande and Maroon 5 all performed the night Beyoncé won her vanguard. Evidently, MTV would be keen to have big names perform on "Beyonces special night". You sound like some conspiracy theorist who's making up/reading into stuff that isn't really there :p

If they wanted Rihanna's shine stolen, why exactly would they present her with the award in the first place...?

^^^^
This!

If it weren't for that middle finger I wouldn't have been as pissed about it.

I completely understand, but maybe that was their sole intention, to piss all of us off, who knows! Not reacting to this as if no one gave a **** about whatever they did is probably a more hard hitting response, trust me.

HIStoric;4163484 said:
Hahah yes they would, that'd just bring in more viewers which is their ultimate end goal. In fact other big names such as Taylor Swift, Sam Smith, Nicki Minaj, Ariana Grande and Maroon 5 all performed the night Beyoncé won her vanguard. Evidently, MTV would be keen to have big names perform on "Beyonces special night". You sound like some conspiracy theorist who's making up/reading into stuff that isn't really there :p

Nah, that shit wouldn't happen, and it's not a conspiracy it's stan culture, MTV knew what they were doing and I can't be convinced otherwise.
They played on the Rihanna vs Beyonce thing to bring in views, and on the night when Rihanna was getting the award show's highest honor.
The only way I could see MTV letting Adele perform on the same night as Beyonce winning an award is if Adele was doing a tribute TO Beyonce. :yes:
I really just don't see it happening any other way, but I suppose if it ever happens (which I REALLY doubt it will) then I'll eat crow. :p

Nah, that shit wouldn't happen, and it's not a conspiracy it's stan culture, MTV knew what they were doing and I can't be convinced otherwise.
They played on the Rihanna vs Beyonce thing to bring in views, and on the night when Rihanna was getting the award show's highest honor.
The only way I could see MTV letting Adele perform on the same night as Beyonce winning an award is if Adele was doing a tribute to Beyonce. :yes:

But thats your fault for reading into all of that! All of that seems so unnecessary (Ive no idea what Stan means and I always see it written)

Mtv give awards to who they want and they book whoever they want to perform! Is it not that simple? Most of the artists dont even care themselves about an Mtv award, its publicity for them, and more exposure.

Any one of those acts would turn in all their prestigious Mtv awards for one of their albums or pieces of work to be deemed "Historically Significant", which Michael Jackson has had happen.

Also, these award shows only reflect the way most of those artists have "beef" and "throwing shade parties" so publicly. It feeds into the culture of people who want to see it. If you are into all of that, then fair enough, but if you buy into all this "beef" culture, then I wouldnt necessarily consider the above even remotely offensive to Michael Jackson. Its the culture of Mtv, reality TV and Pop culture as a whole at the minute. Eg. an embarrassment.

^Stan is basically a word for someone super obsessed with someone. MJ Stan, Beyonce stan, etc. It originated from one of Eminems songs "Stan", which is a fantastic song btw.

Who cares? Seriously who cares? As far as I'm concerned, there shouldn't even be any VMA's anymore. Why is a channel that doesn't even play music videos anymore, have a music video award show?

^Stan is basically a word for someone super obsessed with someone. MJ Stan, Beyonce stan, etc. It originated from one of Eminems songs "Stan", which is a fantastic song btw.

That makes absolute perfect sense. Thanks.

Who cares? Seriously who cares? As far as I'm concerned, there shouldn't even be any VMA's anymore. Why is a channel that doesn't even play music videos anymore, have a music video award show?

They do have channels dedicated to music videos still.

But thats your fault for reading into all of that! All of that seems so unnecessary (Ive no idea what Stan means and I always see it written)

Mtv give awards to who they want and they book whoever they want to perform! Is it not that simple? Most of the artists dont even care themselves about an Mtv award, its publicity for them, and more exposure.

Any one of those acts would turn in all their prestigious Mtv awards for one of their albums or pieces of work to be deemed "Historically Significant", which Michael Jackson has had happen.

Also, these award shows only reflect the way most of those artists have "beef" and "throwing shade parties" so publicly. It feeds into the culture of people who want to see it. If you are into all of that, then fair enough, but if you buy into all this "beef" culture, then I wouldnt necessarily consider the above even remotely offensive to Michael Jackson. Its the culture of Mtv, reality TV and Pop culture as a whole at the minute. Eg. an embarrassment.

I do think what MTV did to Rihanna is wrong, but the only artist I truly give a damn about left this earth in 2009 on June 25th so I don't buy into anything now.
I do agree that Stan culture is a mess though, which is why I'm not into it, it's not a good look LOL.

Lastly, f*** Eminem.
I could write a lengthy essay on why he's trash.
Used to listen to him until I found out more about him, then I dropped him like a hot potato. :)

Last edited:
Back