New MJ content (Possibility)

That's a great question. I wonder who works with the Estate in help with digitizing any tape or stuff documented in the storage vault. I wonder what their rates are to digitize film especially when it's tapes that have been here for a long time. Do they hire a company to manage their films and tapes and just leave that process to them or do they just put experienced people in that category on their payroll so the Estate could have their teams do them their selves? The average minimum cost for digitizing tapes especially if it's (VHS, U-matic or mm film) is from $10.00 to about $95.00. But the Estate probably has lots of tapes so the cost of them all together would be higher especially when it was shot on special equipment. They would probably have to spend a lot if they want it the best and professionally done for their standards. I know they don't have that much of an archive but they have a lot of stuff, even if it isn't music. The short film tapes, concert tapes, studio session tapes & rare tapes is probably the most worthy thing of their vault. I'm gonna give a random date and example. Let's say Michael has tapes documented in his collection from January 1979 (The reason I don't go back farther cause most of the pro-shot and rare tapes shot from July 1968 to 1978 is most likely in the Motown and Epic archive vaults) to all the way to June 2009 (including the working cameras that filmed Michael in rehearsals for himself to watch & critique). There has to be a lot of tapes to unwind and digitize them. About 500-1000 tapes at least? Cause Michael constantly had film crews with him and documented almost everything from plane flights, hotel tours, van rides to the arenas & stadiums, airport arrivals, personally never-before seen tour interviews, studio footage, the creative process, almost everything you could think of. Michael even had tapes of him holding the camera and documenting himself. They probably have also a few short-film tape masters, the behind the scenes and the making of it. That has to cost big money. I know some tapes are unorganized and lost but they have to have many decent tapes in there. And that's the problem, nothing will be done if they don't wanna bail because of the risks and if they don't make a good enough profit of the footage. I feel a documentary based on his artistic and creative side (more longer, detailed than the Bad 25 doc & without fillers) would be best if they really want to make a big profit. They need great PR marketing & maybe preview screenings for fans and media people first. Maybe based on the reactions to a screening would make them feel positive about putting their faith into it. They need to also sign up with big companies like IMAX & AMC (If they are confident in partnering with the Estate). to put it in lots of theaters all over the world. That would be a win-win-win, win for the Estate, the fans & companies.

The Prince Estate's releasing Prince' 1985 concert from Syracuse, NY. I wish the Estate of MJ would do something similar.:(

I'm of the opinion that if the estate says they don't have something it means they haven't bothered looking beyond the stuff they already have. Just gotta look at the likes of Michael Prince who has hard drives full of stuff that they haven't bothered to look at yet to see that they aren't that concerned about preserving stuff.
Agree 100%. Never expected to be the sort of person who moans about the Estate or even cares much about what they do but that does seem to be changing. I'm getting more and more frustrated. Obviously I'm no expert and couldn't run a multi-million dollar estate to save my life. But there are some basic considerations which they just don't seem to care about.

Look after Michael's artefacts properly. All of that stuff in the warehouses. I'm a broken record on this but it's so important. Because if you want to make money those things can help. If all you care about is making money then look after these items for THAT reason. If that stuff is being looked after properly then make that known so people are reassured.

The Victoria & Albert Museum did a huge David Bowie exhibition in 2013 which was massively successful. It was shown across 10 countries. The museum partnered with a commercial radio station to support the exhibition. 3 x 1 hour long documentaries were created. The exhibition included 60 costumes and 300 objects from David's archives. Total visitor numbers approx 1.5m. I have no idea if the exhibition made a profit. But sometimes you have to make artistic decisions rather than financial / commercial ones. Plus, if an exhibition isn't a massive success financially it will generate lots of interest which might feed into the next project you do which WILL generate loads of dosh.

And this ties in with the thread title because an exhibition is a great way to introduce new material, especially previously unseen film footage. Museums do these exhibitions and always have all sorts of extra stuff timetabled in. Lectures, films being screened, guided tours of the exhibition etc etc. It's all bog standard stuff so it's not hard to do and Michael is a great subject because his career was so multi-faceted. I'm not even necessarily arguing for an exhibition, although I think it could work really well if it was properly done. I'm agreeing with femi's point upthread. Gather all the film footage you can lay your hands on. Call in stuff from people's personal vaults. Get it sorted. Get the film footage digitised or whatever needs to be done. Because if you want to make money these items are your assets.

I understand that in the immediate aftermath of Michael's death they had to focus on money to clear the debts. That took time. Then there was all the IRS hoo-ha. And there are distractions from lawsuits and so on. But they still manage to get projects off the ground. Making money and doing stuff that celebrates Michael's legacy as an artist - those things can co-exist. It is possible.

If a team of people worked on the tapes, as suggested by femi, not only would they be preserving Michael's material but once they see what's in those tapes that would give them ideas for how they could use that material.

As for the cost of digitising all of the tapes, well, sometimes you have to spend money to make money. And the Estate seems to be doing pretty well, financially. I'm sure they can afford to do this (to the highest standards). Again, I make the point, this is investing in the future. Spend the money now and reap the benefit later on.

The Prince Estate's releasing Prince' 1985 concert from Syracuse, NY. I wish the Estate of MJ would do something similar.:(
It's remastered too. :( Hopefully, the Estate wakes up. Every day I get more & more frustrated with the Estate, they have the time, money & content to do this as well. I want to have hope for a new release but it's the MJ Estate. They need to realize that remastering & digitizing the masters & film is where the money is. They could do a lot with this. They have multiple business income streams that they could use to pitch in.

I don't want to defend the Estate here but in their defence, I can understand them delaying certain things the last 3 years.

I'd hate for them to finally release a new song, let's say Joy (hopefully one day we'll hear MJ's version), and it's poorly received and there's a backlash because legal troubles they're having navigate. The song doesn't get the spotlight and then they hold back for even longer

Don't get me wrong, before 2019 I couldn't understand nor defend not only the lack of new material but the drop in quality that they did release. Michael's Halloween, the Off The Wall chalk

I know they're using legal troubles as massive excuse now, but I could understand it at least initially. Hopefully they wrap up the legal stuff and get back to focusing on Michael's unique talent and incredible artistry

I don't want to defend the Estate here but in their defence, I can understand them delaying certain things the last 3 years.

I'd hate for them to finally release a new song, let's say Joy (hopefully one day we'll hear MJ's version), and it's poorly received and there's a backlash because legal troubles they're having navigate. The song doesn't get the spotlight and then they hold back for even longer

Don't get me wrong, before 2019 I couldn't understand nor defend not only the lack of new material but the drop in quality that they did release. Michael's Halloween, the Off The Wall chalk

I know they're using legal troubles as massive excuse now, but I could understand it at least initially. Hopefully they wrap up the legal stuff and get back to focusing on Michael's unique talent and incredible artistry
People keep mentioning this chalk. Did they seriously produce a piece of chalk for people to buy? Or am I just misinterpreting the comments I've read? Because my head is spinning!

People keep mentioning this chalk. Did they seriously produce a piece of chalk for people to buy? Or am I just misinterpreting the comments I've read? Because my head is spinning!
They included a piece of chalk for the OTW doc/album re release, as a nice bonus for fans. You could draw a nice picture on the sleeve of the album, how cool!

Last edited:
We were definitely gonna get something for MJ's 10th death anniversary, wasn't the Estate producing remixes in 2018?

It's weird that there is absolutely no rumours of new releases or anything.

I mean, they surely are trying to get focus back on MJ - the artist. Focus on his art = the music, concerts and videoes.

MJ One, the musical MJ, a biopic etc. - that's great.

But now covid-19 is no longer a problem, that can/should not be used as an excuse to not release new music.
LN is also long forgotten and is no longer a problem - I think most people could see thru all the lies and see that these 2 persons were liars and just wanted money and attention.

So that's not really an excuse any longer to not make a new release.

MJ's streaming and sales numbers are actually great. -also youtube views. So new music would be perfect - maybe around MJ's birthday in late august, then the first 1-2 singles could drop in june and late july. Hopefully a summer-hit.

I really hope we get new music this year... it's been so long.

Since I'm a more recent fan I don't actually know much about how the estate functions. So I'm curious...in the past, were there announcements well in advance of when new music would drop? I'm wondering where the rumors about new material tend to come from. I have a hard time believing they aren't gearing up to release more stuff, especially because of all the other projects and the uptick in streaming, sales, YouTube views, as @Hess described.

...But also now that I've heard about the chalk....idk what to think lol

Since I'm a more recent fan I don't actually know much about how the estate functions. So I'm curious...in the past, were there announcements well in advance of when new music would drop? I'm wondering where the rumors about new material tend to come from. I have a hard time believing they aren't gearing up to release more stuff, especially because of all the other projects and the uptick in streaming, sales, YouTube views, as @Hess described.

Welcome. Get ready to be dissapointed for years to come.🎉

This is an estate that honestly made an announcement about an upcoming announcement....

But I think 1-2 months prior to the release there was an annoucemnet - also because there was a single coming before the actual album if I remember correct.

They are not releasing any music for a long time simply due to the tax case.

Believe it or not. Not because of lack of music. Not because of the "pandemic". Not because they don't want to release a full album anymore.

You're just coping if you believe any other reason, unfortunately. Oh, and also a little bit of because of complete and utter incompetence

They are not releasing any music for a long time simply due to the tax case.

Believe it or not. Not because of lack of music. Not because of the "pandemic". Not because they don't want to release a full album anymore.

You're just coping if you believe any other reason, unfortunately. Oh, and also a little bit of because of complete and utter incompetence
There is probably some truth to this. I have thought this myself. I believe they did not disclose the true amount of unreleased material for the IRS evaluation. One day they will another found MJ’s long lost hard drives and film reels. 😂

believe they did not disclose the true amount of unreleased material for the IRS evaluation
Oh that's interesting, IRS would evaluate potential value of unreleased stuff? Who can guess what's the value!

There is probably some truth to this. I have thought this myself. I believe they did not disclose the true amount of unreleased material for the IRS evaluation. One day they will another found MJ’s long lost hard drives and film reels. 😂
I tend to agree that IRS could be one of the reasons why they haven't disclosed the true extent of unreleased material. It goes with their line of argument that MJ's image and likeness was next to nothing, he hadn't released or toured in years, no big brands wanted to associate or sponsor him......

Another interesting speculative tit bit, I had read somewhere was about the preference to release unfinished demos, instead of completed tracks from the OTW, Thriller and Bad era, where the songs were composed and written by Mike, was to keep Quincy getting royalties for those songs as a producer. I would like to know from people who know better if there is any truth to this ! Even on Thriller 25 only songs that were Mike's are the ones that were remixed. (Thriller, Baby be mine, Human Nature, LIML, PYT weren't remixed. They had Will I am remix the other PYT that was Mike's.)

I think Quincy has the first right of refusal to re-work any of the released songs. So as long as Quincy is around and behaving like Quincy, I don't think the estate is gonna have it easy with songs from that era.

If i remember correctly, in the estate vs Q royalties dispute, it was the music released on This is it, Q had issues that the music was reworked without his permission. The estate argued that music wasn't reworked and that they merely used Michael's home demos before Q worked on them.

I may have over simplified it. Please feel free to correct me if necessary !

I tend to agree that IRS could be one of the reasons why they haven't disclosed the true extent of unreleased material. It goes with their line of argument that MJ's image and likeness was next to nothing, he hadn't released or toured in years, no big brands wanted to associate or sponsor him......

Another interesting speculative tit bit, I had read somewhere was about the preference to release unfinished demos, instead of completed tracks from the OTW, Thriller and Bad era, where the songs were composed and written by Mike, was to keep Quincy getting royalties for those songs as a producer. I would like to know from people who know better if there is any truth to this ! Even on Thriller 25 only songs that were Mike's are the ones that were remixed. (Thriller, Baby be mine, Human Nature, LIML, PYT weren't remixed. They had Will I am remix the other PYT that was Mike's.)

I think Quincy has the first right of refusal to re-work any of the released songs. So as long as Quincy is around and behaving like Quincy, I don't think the estate is gonna have it easy with songs from that era.

If i remember correctly, in the estate vs Q royalties dispute, it was the music released on This is it, Q had issues that the music was reworked without his permission. The estate argued that music wasn't reworked and that they merely used Michael's home demos before Q worked on them.

I may have over simplified it. Please feel free to correct me if necessary !
But why can't they just work with Quincy to empty their vault? Is the Estate so greedy that they're willing to deny all of MJ's collaborators a chance to release stuff they were never able to? That's pretty low.

A lot of unreleased stuff from the 80's Quincy had nothing to do with and probably never heard. And the stuff from the 90's and 00's Quincy had absolutely nothing to do with.

The Estate just doesn't think there's much money to be made on unreleased songs. They don't care about the die-hard fans like us that are clamoring to hear what's in the vault. They don't see much profit.

I give up on the estate. I don't think they will ever release anything else. It's like they are trying to fade his memory. They don't care about us!
Definitely seems like it. Got to keep the competition away from the new age degenerate type of music and artists that the youth are being raised by. By making zero efforts to keep MJ's legacy alive, it minimises MJ's exposure and influence on them :)

The archive is full, they may or may not have all the material to hand. Hopefully we will experience some of it in the next few years.. The Biopic should generate considerable income, we can only see what may happen in the years following.

I give up on the estate. I don't think they will ever release anything else. It's like they are trying to fade his memory. They don't care about us!
Yes, they are trying to fade his memory. It’s not like MJ One, Immortal World Tour, Broadway shows don’t exist, which do more to keep Michael’s legacy alive than any unreleased music would. Not to mention the upcoming biopic which will reach out to a lot of younger audience.

I know that you are a bit emotional but please think before you post.

Back