No other popstar in the world could command this kind of attention for a press conference

MattyJam

Guests
85259939.jpg

I remember on the day of this conference, some douchebag news reporter called Lizo Mzimba talking about the "lower than expected turnout."

What the hell???

Madonna couldn't get this. Lady Gaga couldn't get this. I remember when Prince announced his 21 Nights residency in London and it took place in a small dingey press room.

The fact that Michael could get this kind of attention just from a press conference truly goes to show what a cut above the rest he really was.

MattyJam;3031616 said:
85259939.jpg

I remember on the day of this conference, some douchebag news reporter called Lizo Mzimba talking about the "lower than expected turnout."

What the hell???

Madonna couldn't get this. Lady Gaga couldn't get this. I remember when Prince announced his 21 Nights residency in London and it took place in a small dingey press room.

The fact that Michael could get this kind of attention just from a press conference truly goes to show what a cut above the rest he really was.

The media never gave him credit for anything. I remember he appeared at the World Music Awards in 2006 and the crowd went crazy, chanting his name (Beyoncé included), Paris Hilton was taking pictures, Chris Brown jumped on the stage with him when he was done, fans were crying, roses were thrown on stage etc. I've never seen anything like it.

[youtube]14i4Lmv1i4g&feature=related[/youtube]

The next day, I read (American) news reports saying he was booed off stage and was so upset about this that he got drunk -_-

Although I sometimes get really frustrated and upset with the horrible media treatment Michael has gotten for most of his life, I also take pride in knowing that despite the constant bashing, he still has millions of loyal fans all over the world that were ready to support him wherever he went. I honestly think Michael Jackson has the best fanbase in the world. Michael Jackson does not need the media to sell records like most other artists, and that's what's so frustrating to them. They tried so hard to kick him off his throne but they just couldn't succeed. Whenever there was a new flavour of the month crowned as "the next King of Pop" (Justin Timberlake, Ne-Yo, Chris Brown and now Justin Bieber) most of the general public just laughed and shook its head, whether they liked MJ or not. Some thought MJ would be finished after two years of cruel and merciless bashing by both mainstream and tabloid media during the trial, but the 2006 WMA appearance proved that he came out victorious. How many artists would be able to survive 20+ years of relentless jokes, accusations, insults, rumours and backstabbing and still have millions of fans left? Other acts that are considered 'greats' such as Elvis and the Beatles were given a free ride by the MSM and are still the media's darlings. It is considered acceptable and even "cool" to be a Beatles/Elvis fanatic, whereas MJ fans are often portrayed as weird and delusional by the media. I am not taking anything away from the Beatles or Elvis as artists, I am just trying to say that they were given an unfair advantage with regard to the media.

LindavG, I cant agree more....!!!!

MJfans are the biggest (and most active) fan community ever in history of entertainment industry lasting at least 3+1 decades!!!

Media do know that, they (the concrete and so-called journalists) are trying permanently to reduce MJ status as the greatest entertainer and media figure, and thats why they are aware of having a problem with that, they tried everything but they failed.
From time to time (93/2003-2005) they had their game time..., but they are still confronted with the power of MJ fan community...., no other artist (including Elvis and the Beatles) has ever had such support and media interest like Michael....

So...

But now... it doest matter, the whole world could see the MJ fan power last year and can see now...

85259939.jpg

What the hell???

I remember him talking about it. He was discussing it with that woman after it had been announced, can't remember her name, when he said that 'it remains to be seen how many of these dates would sell out, he's been away for a long time, he needs to do well' like they were doubting how much Michael could sell. After they went on sale and all 50 sold out in two hours all I could think was 'IN YOUR FACE'. Michael proved why he will forever be the king.

Well let's be real here, the turnout was lower than they expected because the O2 put the notice out that they were letting the first couple thousand people in and they were gonna refuse entrance after that, but only a few hundred showed up total. It was a weekday afternoon after all and people would've found it difficult to get out of commitments at such short notice.

85259939.jpg

What the hell???

Yep, there was even a helicopter following his every move while he was driving to the 02 arena! I was like WTH? Awesome!:punk:

Well let's be real here, the turnout was lower than they expected because the O2 put the notice out that they were letting the first couple thousand people in and they were gonna refuse entrance after that, but only a few hundred showed up total. It was a weekday afternoon after all and people would've found it difficult to get out of commitments at such short notice.

You've completely missed the point.

Did you read the title of the thread? I truly believe there is not a single other artist who could stage a press conference of this magnitude. The picture speaks for itself. Michael was only on stage for 2 minutes and it had international news coverage, made the front page of every newspaper the next day and was being reported live on every news channel.

Whether the o2 expected a larger turnout or not is irrelevant. I'll say it again: No other popstar in the world could command this kind of attention for a press conference.

LindavG;3031652 said:
The media never gave him credit for anything. I remember he appeared at the World Music Awards in 2006 and the crowd went crazy, chanting his name (Beyoncé included), Paris Hilton was taking pictures, Chris Brown jumped on the stage with him when he was done, fans were crying, roses were thrown on stage etc. I've never seen anything like it.

The next day, I read (American) news reports saying he was booed off stage and was so upset about this that he got drunk -_-

Although I sometimes get really frustrated and upset with the horrible media treatment Michael has gotten for most of his life, I also take pride in knowing that despite the constant bashing, he still has millions of loyal fans all over the world that were ready to support him wherever he went. I honestly think Michael Jackson has the best fanbase in the world. Michael Jackson does not need the media to sell records like most other artists, and that's what's so frustrating to them. They tried so hard to kick him off his throne but they just couldn't succeed. Whenever there was a new flavour of the month crowned as "the next King of Pop" (Justin Timberlake, Ne-Yo, Chris Brown and now Justin Bieber) most of the general public just laughed and shook its head, whether they liked MJ or not. Some thought MJ would be finished after two years of cruel and merciless bashing by both mainstream and tabloid media during the trial, but the 2006 WMA appearance proved that he came out victorious. How many artists would be able to survive 20+ years of relentless jokes, accusations, insults, rumours and backstabbing and still have millions of fans left? Other acts that are considered 'greats' such as Elvis and the Beatles were given a free ride by the MSM and are still the media's darlings. It is considered acceptable and even "cool" to be a Beatles/Elvis fanatic, whereas MJ fans are often portrayed as weird and delusional by the media. I am not taking anything away from the Beatles or Elvis as artists, I am just trying to say that they were given an unfair advantage with regard to the media.

Fantastic post, and thank you for including the WMA video. I watched it at least a hundred times this last year as it gives me satisfaction seeing him see how genuinely loved he was then and always. It is a testament countering the media mob mentality of hate with a fan mentaily of pure adoration. And you are so right about the Elvis treatment. He rarely ,if ever, is referred to as a drug addict.

Along with MJ's gift, he was blessed with an extra dose of strength because he went through pure hell on his earth, beginning as a child through adulthood. And all he ever wanted to do was to entertain people, make them happy, and be loved. Thank god, he DID get to see and feel exactly that.

a few hundred showed up LOL u need to stop reading the daily mail as that was there headline. according to the securty there A.P (all purpose) who i actuallly used to work for and knew some of guys running it there were upto 7 thousand there. the first x amount who showed up upto i think it was 9am were allowed into the pit area. which i was one of. thats your first 2k. that picture doesnt even show the full amount in there. it went all the way back to the entrance.as matty says no other artist could comprehend such a reaction at such sort a notice not matter how haters may try and take away from it

the media are nothing but a bunch of haters. the racist daily mail also tried to act like he had no fans by compairing a picture taken during the history tour when thousands of fans descended on london to see the concerts and compaired that to a pcitrue of the fans outside of the hotel the morning he arrived in london for the P.C which has been announced less than a day earlier. spot the contridiction.

Last edited:
a few hundred showed up LOL u need to stop reading the daily mail as that was there headline. according to the securty there A.P (all purpose) who i actuallly used to work for and knew some of guys running it there were upto 7 thousand there. the first x amount who showed up upto i think it was 9am were allowed into the pit area. which i was one of. thats your first 2k. that picture doesnt even show the full amount in there. it went all the way back to the entrance.as matty says no other artist could comprehend such a reaction at such sort a notice not matter how haters may try and take away from it

the media are nothing but a bunch of haters. the racist daily mail also tried to act like he had no fans by compairing a picture taken during the history tour when thousands of fans descended on london to see the concerts and compaired that to a pcitrue of the fans outside of the hotel the morning he arrived in london for the P.C which has been announced less than a day earlier. spot the contridiction.

I remember that Daily Mail article. Such a filthy rag.

It's one of my biggest regrets that I didn't call in sick at work on the day of the press conference. If they had given us a weeks notice, you can bet that the amount of fans would've been even larger.

Does anybody have a full aerial shot which captures exacty how big the crowd was?

Does anybody have a full aerial shot which captures exacty how big the crowd was?
ive seen one someone but cant remember where it was.it either on the boards or on facebook showed the crowd i think right upto the entrance doors.

That's my baby for ya!

(This makes me sad and miss him yet I am sooo proud!! :D )

It's insane. I heard that Bon Jovi refused to present the award to him at World Music Award 2006, so that was why Beyonce had to agree to do it in the end.

And LMAO, I remember Lizo reporting from the 02 arena that day. :lol: He was so excited, the news presenter at the BBC studio was like "calm down, Lizo." :rofl:

lizo is an idiot.he was at the high court in 08 for the case that never was. we were sat there taking the piss out of him

It's insane. I heard that Bon Jovi refused to present the award to him at World Music Award 2006, so that was why Beyonce had to agree to do it in the end.
probably tabloid B.S.its not like he was there for any other reason

My heart sunk when I saw this pic, (the first one of the conference). This is the first itme since last year for me, to see these pics again, I remember saving each and every pi of the press conference and downloading the press conference vidoes, I would have never ever guessed in a hundred years back then, that that would be his last public appearance :cry:

what irks me is that They GIVE the Beatles and Elvis such a HIGh Praise but when it comes to Michael, WHo has done SOOOOO Much more and had Much more trouble with the public. But I gave up after 2005, and said to H*LL with it! If they didnt appreciate him in the early years, they're appreciating him now, Well kinda! But Hey the world we live in just sux its us who can make it better… IMHO!!!

L.o.v.e.
Romi

LindavG;3031652 said:

And.....

[youtube]TQCaGi6Us4A[/youtube]

:wild: :wild: :wild:

No other artist got fans that will buy up the O2 arena fifty times without any new definite material. The only thing that needed was a 3 minute press conference. Bless his soul.

Back