Official Aussie & NZ Thread

Re: AUSSIES! Get in here!

Chocolate Crackles are so yummy, they're Rice Bubbles covered in Chocolate....

chocolate crackles are a fave at kids parties! Incredibly fattening but delish!

You've also gotta try Chcolate Ripple Cake!! Another Aussie fave!!

I LOVE choc ripple cake! we used to have that on hiking camps!

Though I think honey joys dominate chocolate crackles any day :p

hmmm what other awesome Aussie foods are there...
Tim tams! Love them!
Vegemite! Especially the new one!!

Any one else addicted to the new vegemite?

HOney Joys are Even better...Love eatting the top and the sucking the stuff at the bottom :)

Im acknoledge that I let Australia down when I say...I dont know vegemite :O haha i prefer promite

Mint Slices by arrnotts! YUM!
Milo...? Chico Babies...i have no idea if they are aussie but my sister cant get them in canada. Bertie Beatles. haha sorry they are really obscure

haha do you actually want more?
have you had anything weird so far?

Yeah I'll take all the suggestions I can get. I really want to try everything, at least once to see if I like it.

Well, I've learned you all eat a LOT of lamb compared to the US. I've found I love it so I have no problems with it! I promised my friends I'm going to cook a real all-american thanksgiving dinner in November...but I'm worried at the lack of TURKEYS! Hopefully I'll fine one. Then I get to try hunting down ingredients for stuffing, the cranberry sauce, ingredients for the pumpkin pie (thank might not be easy...) and so on.
I've tried vegemite (both old and new) and I just absolutely LOVE it. Tried double coated TimTams as well...and OMG - I'm shipping some home! I tried a cookie that I cannot remember the name of now...but the soldiers used to eat them? They reminded me of oatmeal cookies but a little sweeter.
Had Cherry Ripes... those are really good.
I noticed you all can make a sandwhich out of ANYTHING...and you hold your utensils differently than we do in the US.
My friends drink more tea.... oh and the coffee here is all instant (like just add water instant). So it took me a while but I found a real drip coffee pot, then had my folks mail me some Folgers drip coffee so they could try it here :D
And I noticed you all don't tip when you eat out? Is that the norm here? And at fast food type places you don't throw the stuff away, you leave it on the table? We clean it up and put it in the bin in the US. First time we ate at a fish & chips shop my friends were like...what are you busting tables now? haha ;)

I LOVE choc ripple cake! we used to have that on hiking camps!

Though I think honey joys dominate chocolate crackles any day :p

I agree! Honey Joys all the way!

Whats with us Aussies covering cereal with sugar and/or chocolate and calling it a snack? haha

hahaha that is great! yeah NOONE tips here & sweet oatmeal cookies...ANZACs maybe?

I have no idea if you have these commonly overseas but lamingtons, Jaffas & I am sure this is all over the world...but fairy bread anyone! Childhood food is the best!

Chocolate Crackles are so yummy, they're Rice Bubbles covered in Chocolate....

Did someone say chocolate??..:wild:...* looks round for some chocolate* lol

Yeah I'll take all the suggestions I can get. I really want to try everything, at least once to see if I like it.

Well, I've learned you all eat a LOT of lamb compared to the US. I've found I love it so I have no problems with it! I promised my friends I'm going to cook a real all-american thanksgiving dinner in November...but I'm worried at the lack of TURKEYS! Hopefully I'll fine one. Then I get to try hunting down ingredients for stuffing, the cranberry sauce, ingredients for the pumpkin pie (thank might not be easy...) and so on.
I've tried vegemite (both old and new) and I just absolutely LOVE it. Tried double coated TimTams as well...and OMG - I'm shipping some home! I tried a cookie that I cannot remember the name of now...but the soldiers used to eat them? They reminded me of oatmeal cookies but a little sweeter.
Had Cherry Ripes... those are really good.
I noticed you all can make a sandwhich out of ANYTHING...and you hold your utensils differently than we do in the US.
My friends drink more tea.... oh and the coffee here is all instant (like just add water instant). So it took me a while but I found a real drip coffee pot, then had my folks mail me some Folgers drip coffee so they could try it here :D
And I noticed you all don't tip when you eat out? Is that the norm here? And at fast food type places you don't throw the stuff away, you leave it on the table? We clean it up and put it in the bin in the US. First time we ate at a fish & chips shop my friends were like...what are you busting tables now? haha ;)

You should be able to find turkey in November. Turkey here is a Christmas thing cos we don't do Thanksgiving and by November, frozen ones are available.

I love the taste of Lamb but I don't like to eat it cos I picture the lamb! :( It's a big meat here. They have ads on for Australia Day in Jan telling people to eat lamb! lol

The Cookie you refer to would be an ANZAC buiscut. I love them!!

Cherry Ripes rock!! :punk:

Really, you are finding all the coffee is instant? We have a coffee machine here at work which makes the proper barista coffees. I also have one at home. And there is no shortage of coffee shops either I find. Gloria Jeans, Starbucks, McCafe (first one was in Melbourne BTW!!).

Nope we don't tip here. Some cafes etc will still accept tips and have a tip jar, but it's never expected.

Re take away, I always clear my stuff from the table cos I was raised that way, but I do know a lot of people just leave it and walk away! Pigs! lol I think some people do some don't clear the table.

I eat corn flakes for brekkie..my fave :D

Yeah frozen will be fine, you just thaw the bird out before hand. I wonder if I should cook later in the day than I would in the US because of the heat (being a different season and all)?

For anyone interesting in knowing...the Thanksgiving Dinner I'm doing for my pals is going to consist of: The bird (lightly coated in margarine and seasonings so it comes out golden brown with a couple slices of pineapple on top), turkey cranberry stuffing cooked inside the bird (and a couple garlic bulbs cooked in there too cuz I LOVE garlic...), homemade thick dough noodles, homemade mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, homemade turkey mushroom gravy, cranberry sauce, steamed veggies, homemade pumpkin pie with fresh made whip cream and at least two bottles of a nice red wine. Not bad hey? :D

Ah, don't think of the fuzzy little animal lol. Lamb is so yummy...

That's the one...Anzac buscuit... they are so good! Yay you like the cherry ripes too yeah? :D

Yeah most of them are. I did find that Gloria Jeans has drip coffee at the store so I've started trying them out. My father sent me a big bag of pure Tanzanian coffee and my friends here just love it. It's very strong, so one of my friends actually adds hot water to hers lol.

OMG I know I love coffee shops. I have had the other two once or twice but stick to Gloria Jeans cuz the others I can get when I'm at home. I had this drink the other day, it was coffee and white choco, with coconut blended in and either ice or a tad bit of ice cream....I must find out what that is again...it was amazingly good. Very naughty - but very good ;)

I'll have to keep an eye out for tip jars....you always do it in America so it feels like you are being mean if you don't...it's weird.

Yeah, I wondered if some do it because they are just brought up to clean up their mess? The other day we went to DFO in Strathfield and had sushi in the food court and everyone I was with just left their stuff. Out of habit I started cleaning up the table. I can't help it...it only takes a second and it's done...

So has anyone tried either crocodile or kangaroo? Is it just that people from other countries thing you all eat it? Ok probably... lol. But can you actually eat it if you want to try it? I'm wondering what it's like. I've had things like duck, goose, elk, bison, venison (deer) and moose... but I wonder what croc and roo taste like....

You should be able to find turkey in November. Turkey here is a Christmas thing cos we don't do Thanksgiving and by November, frozen ones are available.

I love the taste of Lamb but I don't like to eat it cos I picture the lamb! :( It's a big meat here. They have ads on for Australia Day in Jan telling people to eat lamb! lol

The Cookie you refer to would be an ANZAC buiscut. I love them!!

Cherry Ripes rock!! :punk:

Really, you are finding all the coffee is instant? We have a coffee machine here at work which makes the proper barista coffees. I also have one at home. And there is no shortage of coffee shops either I find. Gloria Jeans, Starbucks, McCafe (first one was in Melbourne BTW!!).

Nope we don't tip here. Some cafes etc will still accept tips and have a tip jar, but it's never expected.

Re take away, I always clear my stuff from the table cos I was raised that way, but I do know a lot of people just leave it and walk away! Pigs! lol I think some people do some don't clear the table.

haha! I just finished reading this whole thread and I love it :)
It's funny how you guys went from the weather to cereal lol

haha! I just finished reading this whole thread and I love it :)
It's funny how you guys went from the weather to cereal lol

Yeah we sort of go all over in this thread :) I keep coming up with random questions during my time here. I can't help it lol.

Like.... why do they call shrimp prawns here.... I find many things have different names or are prounounced different. It's the favorite teasings between me and my friends lol. I say tomato a certain way or oregano a certain way and I hear giggles lol. But then my friend will say... i feel like putting on my thongs.. and I start giggling (because thongs are g-strings in America not sandals...) :cheeky: It's all very amusing.

cultural differences are fun! I loved my short stay in California. Staying with a local family I got a good feel in those 12 days for how life is over there and the different names for things etc. I find it endlessly facinating!

Yeah we sort of go all over in this thread :) I keep coming up with random questions during my time here. I can't help it lol.

Like.... why do they call shrimp prawns here.... I find many things have different names or are prounounced different. It's the favorite teasings between me and my friends lol. I say tomato a certain way or oregano a certain way and I hear giggles lol. But then my friend will say... i feel like putting on my thongs.. and I start giggling (because thongs are g-strings in America not sandals...) :cheeky: It's all very amusing.

Lol! Yeah, I have a friend who just came from California and she asked me why we called sandals thongs? It is really funny when you think about it :) And to answer your first question...I really have no idea >< I thought shrimp were different to prawns? Great, now I'm talking about seafood haha!

Ok someone mentioned mint slices and I HAVE to share this recipe..

1x Packet Mint Slices
1x Packet Oreo cookies
1/2 can condensed milk (or more if needed)
Coconut shavings

Put oreos and mint slices in food processor until it becomes a fine powder (or put in a bag and crush them). Add condensed milk to form a dough, roll into little balls and roll into coconut. Refrigerate until hard.

WARNING: addictive and oh so f-cking delicious! :dancin:

Back