Official Aussie & NZ Thread

Re: AUSSIES! Get in here!

Come on Cozzie suck it up and get outside LOL! We did our 55 minute walk this morning in it and all. It was very interesting. There was a sign that was swaying so wildly I was a little worried about getting hit by it, but other than that it wasn't so bad walking.

Gone too soon..it was really really windy last night at least in my area. They had crews out this morning cleaning it all up. And it said on the news we are gonna get more wind tonight....oh yay! Welcome to the thread :D

I was thinking about it, until it HAILED! Yes, hail :bugeyed

The gods obviously don't approve of my new exercise plan :evil:

Haha I love how you both comment on the wind when you live in Melbourne and Sydney :p
Or was it just really windy last night everywhere hehe.

I'm a new Aussie to this thread! I live in Sydney :) :) Lovely to be here!

Its been crazy wind for the last past few days here in melb...its insane!

Thanks Cozzie :)
Haha yeah it's scary the wind at the moment! The other day our entire street was littered with branches!

Any of you like thunderstorms? Because I love them....when does THAT season start here? During spring I hope :) One of my friends I'm staying with is terrified of storms so there will be both ends of the reaction scale going on at the same time in this house...her freaking out and me hanging off the balcony taking pictures LOL!
You need a construction hat Cozzie! We went out this morning for our walk and it was breezy. I'm really glad I braided my hair since it's 3/4th of the way down my back...I would have looked like cousin IT otherwise.

Hahaha touche`!
My mum watches it, I ran in the room cos I heard They Dont Care About Us

The sang it for the backing to a samba routine and I swear that they said k*ke! But they cut and paste the rest of the lyrics to fit into the short space...
I dunno... hearing a song with such a strong message being used so frivilously kinda annoyed me

Oh that was awful!!! they also destroyed 'the way you make me feel' the other week. Urrrrggggh.

Any of you like thunderstorms? Because I love them....when does THAT season start here? During spring I hope :) One of my friends I'm staying with is terrified of storms so there will be both ends of the reaction scale going on at the same time in this house...her freaking out and me hanging off the balcony taking pictures LOL!
You need a construction hat Cozzie! We went out this morning for our walk and it was breezy. I'm really glad I braided my hair since it's 3/4th of the way down my back...I would have looked like cousin IT otherwise.

I LOVE thunderstorms. Especially when you're inside and listening to it late at night all snuggled up.

This sucks!

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,25986906-661,00.html

The federal government wants to impose new taxes that would see alcohol and cigarette prices go up and they want to give vouchers to people in poor communities so they can buy healthy foods. What a scam!

The only legitimate reason for the government to raise or introduce new taxes is to increase revenue. Anything else is a corruption. Taxes that are aimed at discouraging people from buying certain products is a total corruption of the market and our freedom to make our own purchasing decisions. Our purchasing decisions should be based on market prices and our own feelings, whether positive or negative, towards the product. They should not be based on artificial pricing created by taxes or subsidies. That's a total corruption.

Buying cigarettes or alcohol should be my choice and my choice should not be influenced by the government. Do they think young people wont go to extraordinary lengths to get these taboo products that are so frowned upon by the authorities in their lives? They'll pay anything to get their hands on the stuff. Ask a drug dealer. They can charge whatever they want and high school and uni students will buy it because they want to be rebels and partake in something that every authority figure in their life tells them to stay away from.

No more taxes on alcohol and cigarettes!!

I hate thunderstorms...they scare me lol

what the hell is up with the weather in Brisbane?! Its supposed to be winter!!..(and it was nice and cool last week). Than this week total heatwave! its been like 30*C plus for the past few days..

This sucks!

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,25986906-661,00.html

The federal government wants to impose new taxes that would see alcohol and cigarette prices go up and they want to give vouchers to people in poor communities so they can buy healthy foods. What a scam!

The only legitimate reason for the government to raise or introduce new taxes is to increase revenue. Anything else is a corruption. Taxes that are aimed at discouraging people from buying certain products is a total corruption of the market and our freedom to make our own purchasing decisions. Our purchasing decisions should be based on market prices and our own feelings, whether positive or negative, towards the product. They should not be based on artificial pricing created by taxes or subsidies. That's a total corruption.

Buying cigarettes or alcohol should be my choice and my choice should not be influenced by the government. Do they think young people wont go to extraordinary lengths to get these taboo products that are so frowned upon by the authorities in their lives? They'll pay anything to get their hands on the stuff. Ask a drug dealer. They can charge whatever they want and high school and uni students will buy it because they want to be rebels and partake in something that every authority figure in their life tells them to stay away from.

No more taxes on alcohol and cigarettes!!

Now instead of kids buying alcopops, they'll put their money together and buy straight vodka (or other stronger alcohols).. and get more drunk! Yay!

Everyone keeps telling me this is a really mild winter. I agree but only because temps of around -10 to -20C are the winter temps I'm used to. To me this entire winter has been a friggin' heatwave ;)

Yes, totally agree. :)

(..typing this as I'm under blankets, wearing a warm jacket and have the heater on :mello:)

Yes, totally agree. :)

(..typing this as I'm under blankets, wearing a warm jacket and have the heater on :mello:)

Oh Jeez!!!! Come on!! I'm already in my summer silk pj's with one thin blanket on the bed and no heater! :D You need one of those double lined sleeping bags I have in storage in Wisconsin....THAT would keep ya warm!

I don't even care that I am double posting...
And yes I've had a couple wines in celebration of MJ's life and funeral before posting this (it's okay -- I'm double checking for spelling errors before hitting 'submit reply' lol)...

~and just to clarify....I did not watch even a second of the funeral because the 3rd anniversary of my own stepmum's motorcycle death is in two days and it's just too hard to watch yet another funeral, so I'm really upset right now....~

But I just wanna say -

That I think MJ is the most influential, positive, completely inspirational musician I've ever seen. Seriously.

I wish he'd been treated better in life...and in death, than he was. I know deep down he just craved the normalcy that the rest of us take for granted. And I'm sorry it was so hard for him.

I wanted to just say -
Thank you Michael. Not only for giving up pretty much your entire life to make us happy.... but for showing it's okay to be the art geek...or music geek or whatever geek.... that smarts isn't so.... uncool. You made me realize that it was okay.

And there is a tiny little piece of my heart reserved just for you... right next to my stepmum...
Thanks for teaching me that it is okay..
To just be me.
:)
-Misty

... and now that I'm re-reading that to make sure I am typing straight after the wine... what I wrote... is making me cry. Aw, hell this is just so very unfair :(

~and just to clarify....I did not watch even a second of the funeral because the 3rd anniversary of my own stepmum's motorcycle death is in two days and it's just too hard to watch yet another funeral, so I'm really upset right now....~
:(

Awww im so sorry hun :hug:

Awww im so sorry hun :hug:

Thanks. Doing much better! Ok definately not drinking and posting anymore! :mello:

Moving on....

So how about that weather? :smilerolleyes:

Not joking...really - I don't know about north or south of me... but just southwest of Sydney it's FABULOUS out today!! Currently 32C/90F out! WOOHOO! :clapping:

So when does it start getting REALLY hot? I'm ready for summer!

I think Melbourne's beaches are crap! I love Torquay, Lorne, Appollo bay etc - Any of the beaches along the southern coast, but Port Phillip Bay (Melbourne beaches) IMO are crap!

Okay Aussies I have another question! I woke up this morning to the 'big red sky' and was like....what in the world?!...holy cow!!!! :blink:
*ran and grabbed the camera*
So, does Australia get a lot of these dust storms? Is it usually just a regional thing? Do they last long??? Where the heck did it come from??
All I know...is my throat HATES it :mello:

A pic I took from our balcony:

DSCF8660.jpg

Last edited:

The dust storm has reached Brisbane now. I don't think it's as bad as Sydney. But if I look outside my window there's a definite orange haze in the sky. I can't even see the city skyline. And you can really smell the dust in the air. It's horrible. But also kind of cool.

wow that weather is insane! wasnt this year the hottest winter on record or something?

& sorry I know I am dabbling in several parts here but the alcohol issue...i just hope it never reaches Goon haha...coolabah anyone?
& way earlier Thunderstorms? I love them! My sisters always tell me the story about when I was little & there was a massive storm & I ran into the room singing Beat It! haha

Yeah I think they were saying it was the warmest winter...figures I choose this year to be in Australia! Yeah my friends are telling me the storms are earlier than normal...I LOVE storms so I can live with that! :D Ha that's cute :)
I have no idea what you mean about the coolabah? I'm suspecting it's an Aussie thing? Explain! Please? lol :)

that dust storm was insane! Apparently regional areas get them often. I have never seen anything like it in the City.

In Melbourne we get Mallee rain which is really dirty rain that leaves your car looking like crap!

Yeah it was pretty unreal! I've seen -20C weather and 20 inches of snow in one day... but never anything quite like today! I figured it was usually a inner regional thing. Everyone I know here was freaking out today.
Yuck that sounds pretty gross too. I'll have to look that up and read about it :)

My friends were telling me about a snack they use to have as a kid....called chocolate crackles... anyone else heard of them?

Yeah that strom was all over the news tonight!

Chocolate crackles as in an actual bar?...or the homemade ones which are in essence just chocolate covered rice bubbles? haha which doesnt make sense seeing as thats just coco pops...

Back