Official Charts Thread For ''Michael''

It`s strange though that Michael didn`t do well in UK,i mean after his death the sales were great

first week sales were his best in 20 years but if theres no promo at such a strong time in the market it will always drop like a stone.no one can compete when other artists are on tv shows doing appearences etc even more so with all the bad publicty and even fans refusing to buy it. ppl forget how big mj the person was. all he had to do was go shopping at that was more publicty than other artists got all year.

Number Ones will have gone up due to £3 price in HMV, advertised in front window of my local store

Just the UK holiday chaos with the low price boom. Next week will be a normal chart run.

"Michael" has sold worldwide at least the following so far:
- week #1: 734.000+
- week #2: 502.000+

- week #3: ?

These figures are Excluding Asia and Africa... Some one on here asked what the sales for China was for the first week... Does anyone know???

And Michael did Very well Every where that it was shipped! Some of y'alls expectations were High I guess. Thats why I see disappointment on these posts. But c'mon y'all! Michael SOLD over 1Million all over the world while Swift, and Take that only sold where they are most popular (US-Swift & UK-Take That)!

twinklEE : :clapping: Thankyou! Yes Very true on EVERYTHING you said. Some fans are lookin at this as if the $$$ From the album goes to $ony and some other ppl. But if y'all have read Michael's Will, The $$$ goes mostly to his Children and Mom! It's really embarrassing how some fans have really acted towards the "ALBUM", This whole mess started by a Tweet! And you know what, I'm gonna say this and I dont really care what some will think, I Believe Teddy & The Cascio family more than I trust some of the Jackson family members! This is not helpin' anyone really, There is a divide in the Fan community more than there was last year, and its even gonna be divided by a very silly issue in the future, I'm sure! If we dont stay together and stand strong for Michael now, When in the H*LL Are we gonna do that? :blink:

L.o.v.e.
Romi

And Michael did Very well Every where that it was shipped! Some of y'alls expectations were High I guess. Thats why I see disappointment on these posts. But c'mon y'all! Michael SOLD over 1Million all over the world while Swift, and Take that only sold where they are most popular (US-Swift & UK-Take That)!

twinklEE : :clapping: Thankyou! Yes Very true on EVERYTHING you said. Some fans are lookin at this as if the $$$ From the album goes to $ony and some other ppl. But if y'all have read Michael's Will, The $$$ goes mostly to his Children and Mom! It's really embarrassing how some fans have really acted towards the "ALBUM", This whole mess started by a Tweet! And you know what, I'm gonna say this and I dont really care what some will think, I Believe Teddy & The Cascio family more than I trust some of the Jackson family members! This is not helpin' anyone really, There is a divide in the Fan community more than there was last year, and its even gonna be divided by a very silly issue in the future, I'm sure! If we dont stay together and stand strong for Michael now, When in the H*LL Are we gonna do that? :blink:

L.o.v.e.
Romi

WELL SAID!!!!:agree:
The album "Michael" contains the BEST MUSIC available.

If I buy more than one copy at the same store, does it count toward overall sales? I plan to buy the album for a friend who likes Michael but doesn't know about the album.

yes we have all been wrong for 30 years.:smilerolleyes:

intresting about number ones. i guess the showings of TII over xmas on sky has contributed?

Well something is not like we all thought it would be, I mean, the charts this week is worse than I ever would have thougth after two/three weeks....

People are eager to blame Sony, why should Sony even 'save' an album that's been sabotaged from the start by various people with conflicting interests, why should they 'save' an album that was wholly leaked at least a week to it's release.?
People have done a darn good job in making sure this album does not succeed, from the day it was announced. For the sake of my own nerves, I will not state the names of those people. Of course Sony sucked at the promotions, but it wasn't just the promotion but all the contributing factors, the media again did a darn good job in creating doubts in people's minds. Some don't even believe a line was sung by Jackson. Quiet frankly, I have my doubts, I have my concerns, but I sure know that Jackson did not deserve this kind of unfairly perception by the general public.
He didn't deserve to chart at #3 and then fall to be forgotten. Had this album sounded differently had it been put out by Jackson himself? Certainly! It would have sounded completely different, with different songs. But we have to be satisfied with what we get, we do not run his empire, we do not choose. With Jackson himself being no more, it's our duty to protect his legacy and support official releases. We as fans have to ensure this bit, Jackson lost his life in the process of making US happy, we could at least support official releases. I know that many of you went out there and bought the album, some probably even multiple times, including myself, but I also know that there are people among this very fan community who did not go out and buy, people who preferred to download the album and continue to rant about fake tracks, cast doubts in other ppl's minds.
I for one have made a vow to support each and every official release, regardless of what certain people have to say or rant about. I owe at least this much to Jackson.

You said it all.

Sony is not to blame for the album's performance. They had great promotion plans from the get go, but those plans got derailed by greedy folks with their own agenda, and sadly many are too dense and fell for it.

I think Sony should go back to re-releases....at least those won't be questioned. And these folks who can't tell a real MJ song from Jason Malachi can go pound sand. I better not hear them complain when Sony re-releases another greatest hits. That's all you've earned....greatest hits.

^^ yeah i think lots of people don't know about a new album yesterday i sent the new album promo to over a hundred people of 26 million people who liked mj facebook page and thy replied back saying wow this is cool i , this is the first time see the album trailer

You said it all.

Sony is not to blame for the album's performance. They had great promotion plans from the get go, but those plans got derailed by greedy folks with their own agenda, and sadly many are too dense and fell for it.

I think Sony should go back to re-releases....at least those won't be questioned. And these folks who can't tell a real MJ song from Jason Malachi can go pound sand. I better not hear them complain when Sony re-releases another greatest hits. That's all you've earned....greatest hits.

agreed!!!! greatest hits is all mj fans deserve!! they give you new music and you complain and complain!! smh

^^ yeah i think lots of people don't know about a new album yesterday i sent the new album promo to over a hundred people of 26 million people who liked mj facebook page and thy replied back saying wow this is cool i , this is the first time see the album trailer
well done :D I hope so they will buy the album :yes:

MICHAEL ALBUM SALES: As of Friday Dec 31st

After 2 full weeks on the market, MICHAEL has sold approximately 1,500,000 worldwide according to official Sony data. That means almost half of the 3.2 million shipped have been sold.

Sales will drop dramatically this week with the holiday now being over.

1st week sales= 900,000
2nd week sales= 600,000
3rd week projected sales= 250,000
4th week projected sales= 150,000
5th week projected sales= 90,000

Basically... we need a second successful single to get this album to the next level. With no new singles or promotion the album will stall out in the 2 to 2.5 mil range.

^ But there will be a new single, right? I recall you mentioning Monster was planned for January. Is this still the case?

MICHAEL ALBUM SALES: As of Friday Dec 31st

After 2 full weeks on the market, MICHAEL has sold approximately 1,500,000 worldwide according to official Sony data. That means almost half of the 3.2 million shipped have been sold.

Sales will drop dramatically this week with the holiday now being over.

1st week sales= 900,000
2nd week sales= 600,000
3rd week projected sales= 250,000
4th week projected sales= 150,000
5th week projected sales= 90,000

Basically... we need a second successful single to get this album to the next level. With no new singles or promotion the album will stall out in the 2 to 2.5 mil range.
Do you have a link for this or how do you know that?

^ But there will be a new single, right? I recall you mentioning Monster was planned for January. Is this still the case?

Of course there will be second single, and third.. But I think Hollywood Tonight will be released next because Teddy Riley said that he's doing remixes for the song.. and it's much better song than Monster.

BTW MICHAEL is #3 in Croatia this week, last week was #2. GaGa is still #1 here..

http://www.hdu.hr/htm1/toplista/STRANA TOP LISTA.pdf

Of course there will be second single, and third.. But I think Hollywood Tonight will be released next because Teddy Riley said that he's doing remixes for the song.. and it's much better song than Monster.

BTW MICHAEL is #3 in Croatia this week, last week was #2. GaGa is still #1 here..

http://www.hdu.hr/htm1/toplista/STRANA TOP LISTA.pdf

monster is going to be much better i think! I let my friends hear monster and hollywood tonight and they loved monster, but hollywood tonight was to much of the same. If you just look at facebook, monster has around 900 fans, hollywood tonight 190 or so. Some clubs already play the song. But that's just my opinion!

And sure, a lot of people don't know there's a new album, but with monster comming out, the album will reach more people ;)

Yea, smooth criminal, i read i a thread monster and keep your head up are believed to be the next singles? What does your source tell?

UK sales this week are 12,713 - down about 85% !!!

1st Week was 113k , second was 84,200

3 week UK total = 210k

Without another single or big promo the album will be his biggest flop ever, Monster release needed asap with a great video.

Just the UK holiday chaos with the low price boom. Next week will be a normal chart run.

"Michael" has sold worldwide at least the following so far:
- week #1: 734.000+
- week #2: 502.000+
- week #3: ?

If you think about all of the controversy than yes HT is better choice, but as a song Monster is much better

The swedish chart was updated a few days ago...

'Michael' is #2

Hold My Hand is climbing and is currently #8

'Vision' is #9

People are eager to blame Sony, why should Sony even 'save' an album that's been sabotaged from the start by various people with conflicting interests, why should they 'save' an album that was wholly leaked at least a week to it's release.?
People have done a darn good job in making sure this album does not succeed, from the day it was announced. For the sake of my own nerves, I will not state the names of those people. Of course Sony sucked at the promotions, but it wasn't just the promotion but all the contributing factors, the media again did a darn good job in creating doubts in people's minds. Some don't even believe a line was sung by Jackson. Quiet frankly, I have my doubts, I have my concerns, but I sure know that Jackson did not deserve this kind of unfairly perception by the general public.
He didn't deserve to chart at #3 and then fall to be forgotten. Had this album sounded differently had it been put out by Jackson himself? Certainly! It would have sounded completely different, with different songs. But we have to be satisfied with what we get, we do not run his empire, we do not choose. With Jackson himself being no more, it's our duty to protect his legacy and support official releases. We as fans have to ensure this bit, Jackson lost his life in the process of making US happy, we could at least support official releases. I know that many of you went out there and bought the album, some probably even multiple times, including myself, but I also know that there are people among this very fan community who did not go out and buy, people who preferred to download the album and continue to rant about fake tracks, cast doubts in other ppl's minds.
I for one have made a vow to support each and every official release, regardless of what certain people have to say or rant about. I owe at least this much to Jackson.

Great post!

The boycotters have stuck the final knife in the back of MJ. Charts and sales wise, he will never recover from this. The general public have finally had enough of all the sh*t that follows MJ. He will never have another #1 album or single in the UK or US from here on, and I'll be surprised if Sony ever bother with a 'new' album ever again.

MJ 'Greatest Hits' packages (that most of the boycotters seem to want)? Why bother? The world is saturated with them, they won't be rushing out to buy any more. As for "unfinished recordings" and 'half-arsed' demos please, the music buying public will have even less of an appetite for that - after all, how will they ever be able to trust it's MJ singing!?

Forget the future, as regards to MJ and 'hits', we only have the past to comfort us now.

Great post!

The boycotters have stuck the final knife in the back of MJ. Charts and sales wise, he will never recover from this. The general public have finally had enough of all the sh*t that follows MJ. He will never have another #1 album or single in the UK or US from here on, and I'll be surprised if Sony ever bother with a 'new' album ever again.

MJ 'Greatest Hits' packages (that most of the boycotters seem to want)? Why bother? The world is saturated with them, they won't be rushing out to buy any more. As for "unfinished recordings" and 'half-arsed' demos please, the music buying public will have even less of an appetite for that - after all, how will they ever be able to trust it's MJ singing!?

Forget the future, as regards to MJ and 'hits', we only have the past to comfort us now.

Well if you want to give up on his legacy, go ahead.

Monster SHOULD be the next signle.

Who gives a flying f**k what the boycotters think...they bailed on the album, so single choice should be the least of their concerns.

I still wonder why these people are still hovering over a "Michael" thread. Makes no sense to be. If I thought the album was fake..I wouldn't waste my time debating single choices. Stick to your belief and let others be.

Monster should help the album.

But I do admit Hollywood Tonight....is my favorite between the two.

Well if you want to give up on his legacy, go ahead.

You honestly think MJ will ever have a #1 album or single in the US or UK? I would be interested to hear from you as to how this might happen. Yet another 'Greatest Hits' album? A 50 year anniversary re-release of 'Billie Jean' in 2033??

The 'fans' gave up on MJ's Legacy when they boycotted the latest album. The general public have picked up on the latest negativity and have given up being bothered with his current or future products - IMHO.

I stand by my prediction that MJ will never have another #1 in the UK or US. I'm not happy about it, but I have to accept it.

Mj will never be N-1 if Sony Music will put more Cascio´s tracks on next proyects again.

Mj fans don´t like tracks that were not sung by MJ.

Hope Sony learned the lesson.

Kapital77;3170088 said:
Mj will never be N-1 if Sony Music will put more Cascio´s tracks on next proyects again.

Mj fans don´t like tracks that were not sung by MJ.

Hope Sony learned the lesson.

You think that if it makes you feel better.

In my opinion (and looking at current sales of other artists) MJ will never sell enough of any future album or single to get #1 in the US or UK - Cascio tracks or not - as the public in those countries seem to have had enough of all the 'drama'.

You honestly think MJ will ever have a #1 album or single in the US or UK? I would be interested to hear from you as to how this might happen. Yet another 'Greatest Hits' album? A 50 year anniversary re-release of 'Billie Jean' in 2033??

The 'fans' gave up on MJ's Legacy when they boycotted the latest album. The general public have picked up on the latest negativity and have given up being bothered with his current or future products - IMHO.

I stand by my prediction that MJ will never have another #1 in the UK or US. I'm not happy about it, but I have to accept it.

What's wrong with not having another #1 album or single? Didn't Michael give us enough in his life? He had achieved more than anyone in the entertainment industry. He went above and beyond.

Why can't we celebrate his legacy without demanding another #1 hit or another posthumous album? It's fans who keep demanding and demanding. You want a #1 hit more than Michael did. Yes, Michael wanted to top the chart. He wanted to be at the top because he was a perfectionist. He wanted his music to be the best it can be. He never produced any song with the sole intention of getting another #1 hit. His message, his inspiration and quality come before commercial success. The song that he's most proud of is Heal The World. Was Heal The World a global number one hit? Stranger in Moscow is hauntingly beautiful, was it a number one hit?

It's not right for you to say fans are giving up his legacy. I have no problem in buying another greatest hit collection; for his past catalog is his TRUE LEGACY. His past catalog represents his vision, not other's vision. I'm actually happy to see Number Ones is charting higher than MICHAEL because it shows people always want the music he gave us in his life. His past catalog is evergreen.

I got irritated by the chart position obssession. Isn't it true that we would rather Michael retired from the industry all together and lived happily with his children than he resting in Forrest Lawn? Then, why are you asking for another number one album?

Face it. MICHAEL is hardly an exciting album. The album didn't excite the general public. The promotion is lackluster. The fans having nothing to do with how this project has been handled. I don't blame Sony completely; for, Sony can only do so much for a posthumous release. It's impossible to have a supporting tour or any kind of live performance to promote the album. But, I do blame Sony for excluding better songs from the tracklist.

Michael's legacy is still going strongly. The Experience is selling well. His past catalog is still selling. Like I always said, the album MICHAEL is an insignificant addition to his iconic catalog when looking at the whole picture. I treasure gems like Best of Joy, Behind The Mask, Much Too Soon and move on.

If Sony decides not to release any new materials, fine. I have more than enough to keep myself happy for the rest of my life. If Sony decides to re-release Off the Wall, Thriller, BAD, Dangerous, HIStory, BOTDF and Invincible, fine. I hope they put their heart in and do a better job, I'll gladly buy the re-release.

Last edited:
A new single should be releases ASAP.

We need HT released as a single, then BTM, then AD.

BOJ and MTS also needs to be released as singles.

The more singles the better.

Reaching #1 is part of the excitement when a favourite artist releases new material. Just like live performances, appearances, interviews, new pictures and upcoming tours. We don't have any of that anymore like we used to because of Michael's absence. So yes, everything will forever be different. All this excitement is what we mourn too, except for the man himself of course. I don't think it's very usefull to blame anyone, Sony, boycotters, music's state, for it. The main reason for lacking sales is that the magic is gone with Michael.

I like Michael to chart well, but it isn't very important as long as we have the music to enjoy. Btw, the album did reach #1 in my country.

The people in charge screwed up a up simple thing. All they needed to do is release 10 complete Michael Jackson songs. Instead, we got 10 songs, 3 with Sketchy vocals and a bunch of other ones that are the musical vision of other people. They believe they knew better than Michael. They felt they could overproduce,add, change and do all sorts of things to these songs when they should have just released them as they were. Maybe down the line they could have done this stuff, but for the first album after?....No way :sigh:

Back