Official Charts Thread For ''Michael''

#1's and sales is how artists are judged.

I totally disagree that MJ released any album or song without the intention of it hitting #1 or selling millions - we all know that's what made him the best in years gone by - he always strived to get to #1 at everything he did - concerts, albums, DVD's - everything.

MJ will always be remebered for what he did in the past, but that is where it will stay I'm afraid, and he will become less 'relevant' as time goes by - that is only natural.

The Beatles stay 'relevant' because they still sell millions with every release - supported by their many loyal fans and a general public that hasn't become exhausted and fed up of 'drama' - unless Sony continues to release successful albums that sell millions, then MJ's Legacy will eventually fade.

With the latest debacle - and no doubt the family and 'fans' boycotting of future singles they don't agree with, the 'Cirque' shows, etc. - then I am sure a slow 'fade' is all we can hope for.

Big sales and #1's are what keeps Legacys alive - huge Legacys like MJ's in any case - and we would be foolish to think otherwise.

UK sales this week are 12,713 - down about 85% !!!

1st Week was 113k , second was 84,200

3 week UK total = 210k

Without another single or big promo the album will be his biggest flop ever, Monster release needed asap with a great video.

Some people here love to say the word "flop". They seem to feel pleasure. 300,000 is platinum in the UK. The album has sold more than 200,000 in three weeks. 'Michael' can sell more than Invincible.

It stops now before it starts. No calling out each other because they don't agree what with what you do. There are so such thing has 'fans' because some people don't support the album. If don't want to support it great, if they don't then that's their choice. Also this is a thread for chart positions.

deano, I think you're giving the boycotters too much credit. I believe they are a very small minority. I think the fact that the Cascio tracks were the most downloaded tracks from the album on iTunes proves that Joe Avarage doesn't care for so-called "fake vocals" drama.

Chart success is a hard thing to predict, but there is still a chance to have a successful second single IF Sony does proper promotion.

I totally disagree that MJ released any album or song without the intention of it hitting #1 or selling millions - we all know that's what made him the best in years gone by - he always strived to get to #1 at everything he did - concerts, albums, DVD's - everything.

MJ will always be remebered for what he did in the past, but that is where it will stay I'm afraid, and he will become less 'relevant' as time goes by - that is only natural.

The Beatles stay 'relevant' because they still sell millions with every release - supported by their many loyal fans and a general public that hasn't become exhausted and fed up of 'drama' - unless Sony continues to release successful albums that sell millions, then MJ's Legacy will eventually fade.

With the latest debacle - and no doubt the family and 'fans' boycotting of future singles they don't agree with, the 'Cirque' shows, etc. - then I am sure a slow 'fade' is all we can hope for.

Big sales and #1's are what keeps Legacys alive - huge Legacys like MJ's in any case - and we would be foolish to think otherwise.

In many ways I agree. We have to remember that Michael actually is selling great amounts of albums. Not only the new album sells but also the catalogue albums and DVDs are doing great. Since Michaels death he has sold huge huge amounts of albums. My point is: Michael Jackson is selling albums, DVDs etc so no reason to panic (even though many seems to do so). When it comes to the new album I`m sure it will sell around 3 million copies before the end of 2011. Its very wrong to call it a flop.... REMEMBER 1.2 million copies in two weeks and still selling well all over the world.

First, I didn't say Michael released an album without an intention to be #1. I meant being #1 was not his ONLY intention. I'm 100% sure he put his message, his inspiration and quality ahead of commercial success. He's not just a pop singer who wanted to rule the chart, he's much more than that. He saw himself as the platform to spread his strong message. He's a force of nature. He'd rather release a great song that speaks qualtiy than a forgettable pop song that tops the chart for a moment.

Second, #1's and sales are not how an artist is being judged for crying out loud. Why you put commercial success ahead of artistic quality? Backstreet Boys, Nsync, Britney Spears all ruled the charts many years ago. Are they great artists? Michael Jackson is above and beyond. He's in his own league. He doesn't need another #1 album to validate his status as one of the greatest artists ever lived. Michael was one of the very few who achieved commercial success while creating great and long lasting music.

Third, I'm surprised by how so little faith you have in the strength of Michael's legacy. You truly think his legacy will fade? When has Michael's music become irrelevant? Don't you see how the young generation having fun playing the Experience? There are actually more people buying the Experience than the album. Great music is great music. His past catalog appeals to everyone. Yes, Michael will be remembered for what he achieved in the past. But, man, his acheivedments are HUGE and LARGER THAN LIFE. He doesn't need any addendum to his legacy. His legacy will never fade and will be celebrated till the end of time. We all remember Mozart, DaVinci, Michaelangelo, etc. for their masterpieces. I don't think there is any "new" composition from Mozart being released. But, we still remember and appreciate Mozart. Michael Jackson is in that league. He is immotalized because of all the masterpieces he created in his life. I don't need to see his name on the front page of papers to remember him.

Forth, you mentioned Beatles. Is there any unreleased from the Beatles becoming public, other than the forgettable Free As A Bird? If Beatles do not rely on "new" music to stay relevant? Why Michael needs "new" music to stay relevant? Any "new" music from Elvis by the way? Did Jimi Hendrix latest posthumous release top the chart?

Fifth, the public is not exhausted from the Cascios drama. Fans do. Many people didn't even know there is a new Michael Jackson album, let alone the controversy.

Sixth, an #1 hit or #1 album is short lived. Five years down the road, who remember the what the number one album was the second week of December 2010? Great music, however, will be remember till the end of time. Again, Michael Jackson is way more than just a #1 hit. He's immortalized.

So here is the update for Jan 3rd (confirmed chart positions so far).

IN TOP 5:

Austria NUMBER ONE (debut)
Germany #2 < 1 (debuted #1)
Spain (peaking: ) #2 (2 wks) < 7
Sweden #2 (2 wks) < 1 (debuted #1)
Switzerland #2 (debut)
Italy #3 < 1 (2 wks; debuted #1)
Belgium (Wallonia) #4 < (peak: ) 3 (2 wks)
Denmark (peaking: ) #4 (3 wks)
Brazil (peaking: ) #5 < 6 (2 wks)
Slovenia #5 < (peak: ) 3

IN TOP 10:
Japan #6 < (peak: ) 3
Norway (peaking: ) #6 < 7 < 23
Czech (peaking: ) #6 (2 wks combined)
Greece #8 (debut)
Canada #9 < (peak: ) 2
Finland (peaking: ) #9 < 22
Poland #10 < (peak: ) 3
France #10 < (peak: ) 4 < 5
Netherlands #10 < 6 < 1 (debuted #1)
Belgium (Flanders) #10 < 5 < (peak: ) 4
Hungary #10 < (peak: ) 9

OUT OF TOP 10:
New Zealand #13 < (peak: ) 10
Mexico #20 (debut)
Australia #20 < 17 < (peak: ) 10
USA #21 < 5 < (peak: ) 3
Portugal #21 < (peak: ) 15
UK #30 < 5 < (peak: ) 4
Ireland #30 < 22 < (peak: ) 18

Slovakia unknown

Lowest "first week positions" were not based on the full week sales, but on one or just a few sale days...

In some countries it looks like it's climbing, at least half of the countries it's pretty steady and some countries it's falling for some reason (especially
in UK/Ireland and Australia/Oceania). It's peaking after several weeks in some of the European countries and i.e. Brazil. Imo it's doing very well around the world. Is it possible Sony is this time around intentionally keeping slow profile
in some of the major selling countries and then going to promote more with the next single? Because it's harder to climb in the major selling countries.
Because I think the controversy has been equally well-known all around the world..? It's doing so well it would be extremely stupid not to continue promoting
it.

Last edited:
First, I didn't say Michael released an album without an intention to be #1. I meant being #1 was not his ONLY intention. I'm 100% sure he put his message, his inspiration and quality ahead of commercial success. He's not just a pop singer who wanted to rule the chart, he's much more than that. He saw himself as the platform to spread his strong message. He's a force of nature. He'd rather release a great song that speaks qualtiy than a forgettable pop song that tops the chart for a moment.

Second, #1's and sales are not how an artist is being judged for crying out loud. Why you put commercial success ahead of artistic quality? Backstreet Boys, Nsync, Britney Spears all ruled the charts many years ago. Are they great artists? Michael Jackson is above and beyond. He's in his own league. He doesn't need another #1 album to validate his status as one of the greatest artists ever lived. Michael was one of the very few who achieved commercial success while creating great and long lasting music.

Third, I'm surprised by how so little faith you have in the strength of Michael's legacy. You truly think his legacy will fade? When has Michael's music become irrelevant? Don't you see how the young generation having fun playing the Experience? There are actually more people buying the Experience than the album. Great music is great music. His past catalog appeals to everyone. Yes, Michael will be remembered for what he achieved in the past. But, man, his acheivedments are HUGE and LARGER THAN LIFE. He doesn't need any addendum to his legacy. His legacy will never fade and will be celebrated till the end of time. We all remember Mozart, DaVinci, Michaelangelo, etc. for their masterpieces. I don't think there is any "new" composition from Mozart being released. But, we still remember and appreciate Mozart. Michael Jackson is in that league. He is immotalized because of all the masterpieces he created in his life. I don't need to see his name on the front page of papers to remember him.

Forth, you mentioned Beatles. Is there any unreleased from the Beatles becoming public, other than the forgettable Free As A Bird? If Beatles do not rely on "new" music to stay relevant? Why Michael needs "new" music to stay relevant? Any "new" music from Elvis by the way? Did Jimi Hendrix latest posthumous release top the chart?

Fifth, the public is not exhausted from the Cascios drama. Fans do. Many people didn't even know there is a new Michael Jackson album, let alone the controversy.

Sixth, an #1 hit or #1 album is short lived. Five years down the road, who remember the what the number one album was the second week of December 2010? Great music, however, will be remember till the end of time. Again, Michael Jackson is way more than just a #1 hit. He's immortalized.

The Beatles are the 'darlings' of the music world, and they don't have the (increasingly) heavy 'baggage' that MJ does. They have only recently put out box-sets and GH's albums - something MJ has already been doing for years so there will be nothing new or interesting in that direction - and they sold by the bucket load. This is what is keeping them 'relevant' and 'important' on a worldwide scale.

As MJ's sales fall - which they will after the latest debacle - the interest and his relevance will fall with it.

It could have been so different if there hadn't been so much negativity from MJ's family and 'fans' to everything since his death (remember the 'TII' boycott!?). I fear it's too late now though. The days of MJ ruling (or even doing well in) the US or UK charts is over.

I hate to use the word 'flop' I am really hoping that this album does well!!

I have strongly supported it & done what I can to promote it from day one.

I just am stating facts that if there is no catchy commercial single with a video released soon, this album will unfortunately disappear very quickly, currently Invincible is a mile off & that is not a target to be proud of.

Some people here love to say the word "flop". They seem to feel pleasure. 300,000 is platinum in the UK. The album has sold more than 200,000 in three weeks. 'Michael' can sell more than Invincible.

The Beatles are the 'darlings' of the music world, and they don't have the (increasingly) heavy 'baggage' that MJ does. They have only recently put out box-sets and GH's albums - something MJ has already been doing for years so there will be nothing new or interesting in that direction - and they sold by the bucket load. This is what is keeping them 'relevant' and 'important' on a worldwide scale.

As MJ's sales fall - which they will after the latest debacle - the interest and his relevance will fall with it.

It could have been so different if there hadn't been so much negativity from MJ's family and 'fans' to everything since his death (remember the 'TII' boycott!?). I fear it's too late now though. The days of MJ ruling (or even doing well in) the US or UK charts is over.

I think your conclusions are way to negative. You ignore the fact that Michael is selling loads of albums all over the world. Just because the album fell to number 30 i UK doesnt meen MJ is HIStory. Remember that Number Ones wrose to numner 16. By the way there are other countries in the world than UK and US (actually the album is doing alright in the US).

Excellent post.

Thanks!

Any ideas on total sales in Germany so far?

85,000 first week
50,000 extimated second week

let's say 140,000, so good sales

ITALY

Top 100 Albums (By Fimi) 1-1-3-

Top 50 Albums & Compilations (By Musica & Dischi) 1-1-1-

The album is doing really well here, HMH is getting a strong airplay, Top 5 since 5 weeks.

I agree with you Deano about Beatles and the entire post.

But don't be afraid , Michael is doing really well with the entire catalogue.

In America this week Michael has 4 albums in the Top 200 Billboard Comprehensive Albums (MICHAEL, NUMBER ONES, THE ESSENTIAL, THRILLER) and THIS IS IT is just outside being #200 on Top 200 Current Albums Chart.

I think your conclusions are way to negative. You ignore the fact that Michael is selling loads of albums all over the world. Just because the album fell to number 30 i UK doesnt meen MJ is HIStory. Remember that Number Ones wrose to numner 16. By the way there are other countries in the world than UK and US (actually the album is doing alright in the US).

By the way I do expect falls in most countries for the first weeks of january. Hopefully the album will rise again with a new single.

Love is maginal: Great post!

I guess we have totally different perspectives. For me, Michael doesn't need to sell another album to remain relevant. Sales is just one parameter and short lived. Michael Jackson's legacy is solidified and nothing can be done to take that away. This man had overcome the worst character assasination ever experienced by any artist and he overcame all the obstacles in his way. His name is written in HIStory book. He is one of the greatest artist ever lived. Period.

Will Thriller the album be less important if Michael the album doesn't sell? Of course not. Michael's legacy is and will always be important. He revolutionized modern music. Nothing can take that away.

Topping the chart gives fans an instinct gratifitification. But, that's pretty much it. It really doesn't add much to the legacy. Ask people who saw This Is It, do they remember the film for being the number one movie in its first week of release? Or, do they remember the film for the consumated talented artist that they saw working hard in the rehearsal?

To predict that Michael's legacy will fade based on the performance of a posthumous album is premature and almost laughable.

Also, why you totally ignore the fact that Number Ones keeps selling and the Experience becomes one of the best selling video games? You focus so much on Michael, which is a posthumous release put together by Sony and is not representative to Michael's vision. The fact that his past catalog is selling better than his new album is reassuring. It's a good sign. It means people want genuine Michael Jackson creations.

Honestly, if you ask fans and general public which will interest them more, another album of unreleased music or Bad Tour DVD? I say the majority would like to get the Bad Tour DVD, that captured the magic of the greatest entertainer. I totally disagree that there is nothing exciting in re-releasing his past catalogue.

I actually want to move on from Michael, the album. I am looking forward to the re-release of Off the Wall. I own Off the Wall already and I don't care how the re-release does on the chart.

I guess we have totally different perspectives. For me, Michael doesn't need to sell another album to remain relevant. Sales is just one parameter and short lived. Michael Jackson's legacy is solidified and nothing can be done to take that away. This man had overcome the worst character assasination ever experienced by any artist and he overcame all the obstacles in his way. His name is written in HIStory book. He is one of the greatest artist ever lived. Period.

Will Thriller the album be less important if Michael the album doesn't sell? Of course not. Michael's legacy is and will always be important. He revolutionized modern music. Nothing can take that away.

Topping the chart gives fans an instinct gratifitification. But, that's pretty much it. It really doesn't add much to the legacy. Ask people who saw This Is It, do they remember the film for being the number one movie in its first week of release? Or, do they remember the film for the consumated talented artist that they saw working hard in the rehearsal?

To predict that Michael's legacy will fade based on the performance of a posthumous album is premature and almost laughable.

Also, why you totally ignore the fact that Number Ones keeps selling and the Experience becomes one of the best selling video games? You focus so much on Michael, which is a posthumous release put together by Sony and is not representative to Michael's vision. The fact that his past catalog is selling better than his new album is reassuring. It's a good sign. It means people want genuine Michael Jackson creations.

Honestly, if you ask fans and general public which will interest them more, another album of unreleased music or Bad Tour DVD? I say the majority would like to get the Bad Tour DVD, that captured the magic of the greatest entertainer. I totally disagree that there is nothing exciting in re-releasing his past catalogue.

I actually want to move on from Michael, the album. I am looking forward to the re-release of Off the Wall. I own Off the Wall already and I don't care how the re-release does on the chart.

You're right, we do have different perspectives. You are talking about your own personal gratification, whilst I am talking about MJ's continued worldwide Lagacy. You want things YOU would like, I am talking about WORLD interest in MJ. They are two different things.

Do youreally think the world would be interested in yet another re-release of Off The Wall (is it the 4th or 5th?), or is it you don't really care what the rest of the world thinks?

I'll tell you what though, when 'OTW' is re-released for the 4th/5th time, there will be plenty on here moaning about it and organising a boycott against "greedy Sony" - unlike the greatful Beatles fans who support them all the way.

A flop is if it had only sold 30,000 copies! He sold OVER A MILLION in JUST 2 WEEKS AROUND THE WORLD! With the Technology today, do you Honestly expect the same result that we got for Thriller? BAD?DANGEROUS? Or HIStory? I man lets get real here. This is one of the BEST Worldwide Selling albums this year! And to say its a flop with out counting all the continents is not right...

Hope it sells more, I know it will!

L.o.v.e.
Romi

85,000 first week
50,000 extimated second week

let's say 140,000, so good sales

ITALY

Top 100 Albums (By Fimi) 1-1-3-

Top 50 Albums & Compilations (By Musica & Dischi) 1-1-1-

The album is doing really well here, HMH is getting a strong airplay, Top 5 since 5 weeks.

So what is the official chart performance of the album in Italy..?

Somebody said here that Michael's legacy and his achivements are HUGE and LARGER THAN LIFE. I think you are forgetting that Michael's legacy is wounded by the allegations. And those allegations can cast a shadow and unwritte whatever it is written no matter how huge it is. The other artist that were mentioned are the favorite boys of the media.Their legacies are not turnished, on the contrary, they are protected and reinfored by everybody.On the other side, Michael is every media autlet target.They are more than willing to unwritte whatever Mj has succeded in his life and seclude him from music history. Proof : magazines such as Rolling Stone or the bad reviews that Michael's progect always getting by the media,etc, etc. What i am trying to say is that the new album was a great opportunity for the younger generation to know a new Michael Jackson, not the freaky one that the media always presents them. This new project was an amazing opportunity to focus our interest in the only thing that matters reguarding Michael, his music. It was a perfect opportunity to rediscover Michael the artist. But also it was an opportunity for people who don't know who Michael was, to start searching about him and by searching they might come across the truth about him, his life and the allegation. Don't you want that? I personally do.Because that is the only way that his legacy will stay alive.

You're right, we do have different perspectives. You are talking about your own personal gratification, whilst I am talking about MJ's continued worldwide Lagacy. You want things YOU would like, I am talking about WORLD interest in MJ. They are two different things.

Do youreally think the world would be interested in yet another re-release of Off The Wall (is it the 4th or 5th?), or is it you don't really care what the rest of the world thinks?

I'll tell you what though, when 'OTW' is re-released for the 4th/5th time, there will be plenty on here moaning about it and organising a boycott against "greedy Sony" - unlike the greatful Beatles fans who support them all the way.

Wow, now I'm the selfish fan who only think about what I want and my own interest. If I just think about myself, I'd be upset if they only do re-releases because I own each and every Michael Jackson album. But, I'm well aware that there are many people who don't have Off the Wall. I was not even born when Off the Wall was released. And, there are millions of young people who have never heard of Off the Wall. If a re-release of Off the Wall will raise the youger generation's awareness of such great album, so be it. I welcome Off the Wall re-releases with open-arms.

I do think about what will interest the WORLD. I do think Michael's legendary catalog will interest the WORLD much more than some demos pieced together by Teddy Riley.

If I want instinct gratification and things I like, then I only want new music. But no, the thing I want most is for Michael to be remembered for his great music, which is music he created and approved in his life. So, I have no problem with Vision and re-releases. I'll keep buying. That's how I support his legacy.

I don't put so much weigh on sales. I don't equate an artist's legacy soley on sales and chart position. That'a shallow.

Somebody said here that Michael's legacy and his achivements are HUGE and LARGER THAN LIFE. I think you are forgetting that Michael's legacy is wounded by the allegations. And those allegations can cast a shadow and unwritte whatever it is written no matter how huge it is. The other artist that were mentioned are the favorite boys of the media.Their legacies are not turnished, on the contrary, they are protected and reinfored by everybody.On the other side, Michael is every media autlet target.They are more than willing to unwritte whatever Mj has succeded in his life and seclude him from music history. Proof : magazines such as Rolling Stone or the bad reviews that Michael's progect always getting by the media,etc, etc. What i am trying to say is that the new album was a great opportunity for the younger generation to know a new Michael Jackson, not the freaky one that the media always presents them. This new project was an amazing opportunity to focus our interest in the only thing that matters reguarding Michael, his music. It was a perfect opportunity to rediscover Michael the artist. But also it was an opportunity for people who don't know who Michael was, to start searching about him and by searching they might come across the truth about him, his life and the allegation. Don't you want that? I personally do.Because that is the only way that his legacy will stay alive.

I don't disagree with you. But, many many many people have started rediscovering Michael Jackson since 2009; hence, the surge of sales of his albums created in his life. Let's say you are a non-fan and you want to get to know Michael Jackson, which album you will buy? Thriller, BAD, Dangerous, HIStory or Michael? Of course, if Sony and the Estate do the right thing, a new album will help. But, release of new materials is definitely not the only means for people to re-discover Michael Jackson and the truth.

First does anyone notice a difference in the color of the text here. The font in the posts? Or is it just me?

Michael sold 1.5 million in 2 weeks. I think that is pretty good especially with Michael not being here. Michael had 40 years in the business. That can't be erased no matter how hard people in the media tried to destroy it. They didn't. I bought the album and I actually saw 2 commercials for it yesterday:). A friend of mine's daughter loves Michael but didn't get it. She didn't like someone else finishing his songs. I think this album wasn't what people were expecting. I hope they do release another single to give the album some push.

The album is not a flop at all. Some here are getting a tad dramatic. Personally some are angry because they thought it would do better. But a little bit of controversy is not going to diminish MJ's legacy. The man made it through 2 accounts of molestation, ridicule for over a decade, changing skin colours, plastic surgery, etc. Do you really think in 20 years this will even be remembered?

It's sold 1.5 million copies in the first two weeks of it's release. That's impressive numbers. The album WILL sell over 300,000 in the UK once the next two singles are released (platinum). In the US sales will also hit 1 million by years end. These are not bad given the circumstances.

The estate plans to release two more singles MINIMUM from what I was told today, the first of these will be out on global radio stations by the end of the month.

There is no need to panic and say ridiculous things like MJ's legacy is fading away. That's simply not true. MJ has one of the largest youth fanbases of any older act. His legacy will continue for decades to come. People under 20 years old are a visual generation who learn from watching. Michael Jackson has the most sophisticated and respected music videos of all time... the younger generation sees this and respects him greatly for it. How many music acts from the 80's can you say you hear their music in clubs? None... only MJ. He's the only artist that can have his songs in modern hip hop clubs and bars. Look at the top selling music videos of all time on I-Tunes.... #1 is Thriller. In fact, of the Top 100 Best Selling Music Videos on I-Tunes , Michael Jackson has a staggering 9 of those! He's the only act in the list that is before the year 2000. Every other artist/band is 2005 and sooner.

Michael Jackson is a legend. Some posthumous album that performed slightly below expectations due to some controversy will not change that. No more drama please!

The estate plans to release two more singles MINIMUM from what I was told today, the first of these will be out on global radio stations by the end of the month.

thank you...

and what is it supposed to be ? Monster ? HT ?

Back