'Official Michael Jackson Opus' (All Threads Merged)

Re: 'Official Michael Jackson Opus'(BooK) Will Pop With Photos, Tributes

How come some OPUS books are thousands of dollars?
Who in their right mind would spend thousands of dollars on one book? :)

Just like Michael did with the concert tickets...he could have charged a lot more than £75 per ticket.

The book is cheaper than other Opus books. There was a Formula 1 Opus book for $40,000 !! And there was a Manchester United one for $6000-$8500.

And if you consider people who kept their ticket for £85 .. this is £20 more for a leather bound very special book. They probably would have charged a bit more for a limited number that had been signed by Michael.

I agree. Clearly these types of books run on the expensive side. Altho $165 is expensive for a lot of ppl, they have to realize this book could have easily been $500+ pre-death. And considering that Michael has passed away it's nice that everyone has stuck to his original wishes with the lower price. Something like this could be going for $2,000+ now.

Is this Book something Michael was working on to release himself ? what is so special about this book ?

The press release/article states Michael was involved with this before his death.

While Jackson was in rehearsals, he invited Kraken executives to his house in Los Angeles. When Fowler mentioned they were working on a Disney Opus, Jackson reacted "like a boy in a sweet shop. He asked if he could contribute and get a copy."

See, this falls in line with those saying Michael was excited about the concerts and working hard on various aspects of it...that he wasn't some 5 year-old who was being dragged along and forced into everything kicking and screaming. He not only invited these ppl to bring this book to fruition but wanted to contribute something himself for the Disney Opus. This doesn't sound like a man being forced into working. Sounds like a willing, creative and excited participant. But I digress.

Btw...does this mean Peter Lopez was still in the picture at the time of MJ's death? Hmm...

This sounds like agreat keepsake but...

OUCH!! I would have to get at least three books for that price, preferably more. If I had extra money, I might invest. However, we've also have a Tiny Terminator in the house who likes to rip everything to shreds and draw on books with colourful pens and pencils, so the book would have to be tucked away somewhere out of sight instead of placing it in the bookshelf even.

If you look at the size and quality of the book (400 pages) it practically IS 3 books of good quality in one, imo. Coffee table photo books like this generally are expensive...even if they aren't Opus. I love them but mostly get mine from yearly Library inventory sales when they go for about $5-10. :lol: Those books can be over 5 years-old and a bit worn...tho still very nice.

Anyway, this reminds me of missing the Victory tour concert as a kid cuz I got sick and my family brought me a tour program with all the pretty pictures. It was a nice consolation prize so I'll get this book but it won't come close as far as consolation is concerned. :( Just wish I didn't have to wait til December to get it. sigh

Last edited:

ummmm ......*blushes* whats opus?
:better:
o⋅pus  /ˈoʊ
thinsp.png
pəs/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [oh-puh
thinsp.png
s] Show IPA

Use opus in a Sentence

–noun, plural o⋅pus⋅es or, especially for 1, 2, o⋅pe⋅ra  /ˈoʊ
thinsp.png
pər
thinsp.png
ə, ˈɒp
thinsp.png
ər
thinsp.png
ə/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [oh-per-uh, op-er-uh] Show IPA .

1.a musical composition.2.one of the compositions of a composer, usually numbered according to the order of publication.
3.a literary work or composition, as a book: Have you read her latest opus? Abbreviation: op.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/opus

More info that MJ was personally involved with this project. Also more proof that it's been approved by his Estate.

‘Official Michael Jackson Opus’ uses new tech
Deluxe book will feature interactive media that delighted late ‘King of Pop’

By Michael Inbar

TODAYShow.com contributor
updated 11:04 a.m. ET, Wed., Aug 12, 2009

Michael Jackson’s shocking passing June 25 robbed fans of the chance to see the iconic entertainer perform at his planned 50-concert stand in London this summer. But at least another project Jackson was working on at the time of his death will come to fruition: a mammoth, groundbreaking coffee-table book on his life.

The “Official Michael Jackson Opus,” produced by the London-based luxury publishing company Kraken Opus, will debut in all its 13-by-18-inch, 380-page glory this December. Kraken Opus CEO Karl Fowler told Al Roker live on TODAY Wednesday that the book is a comprehensive look into Jackson’s life as the late “King of Pop” himself saw it. And, in keeping with Jackson’s innovative, moonwalking spirit, the book also will incorporate a publishing first: live action on the printed page.

“It’s more than a book; it’s the ultimate testament to everything about Michael Jackson, his life as an entertainer, a performer, a singer,” Fowler said.

Eclipsing Prince
Kraken Opus, which has produced coffee-table books on topics ranging from the English football team Arsenal to designer Vivienne Westwood, originally pitched the idea of a Michael Jackson opus to the singer last April. It probably didn’t hurt that Kraken Opus had already produced one of its signature big books on Prince’s 21-concert run at O2 Arena in London; Jackson often looked at Prince as competition and was eager to eclipse him with his own groundbreaking run at O2.

Thus, what was supposed to be a 20-minute meeting with Jackson turned into a two-hour-plus gabfest with the publishers.

Fowler said Jackson wanted his story told in a way that differed from the dozens of Jackson books — many of them scandalous — already crowding shelves at booksellers. “Obviously, a huge amount had been written about Michael Jackson, both visual and editorial, and I think one of the things that fascinated Michael Jackson when we sat down with him, from a creative point of view, was to tell the story maybe in a way it’s never been told before,” Kraken explained. “That’s the challenge we set.”

The last meeting
Kraken Opus reps met with Jackson regularly as the book progressed, including a meeting just days before his death. “He looked happy, fine,” Fowler said of the company’s last meeting with the King of Pop. “In those days before, we were talking about how we were going to create the content, and he was immersed in it. There were no signs at all. He was very happy and enthused about it.”

While many projects Jackson was working on at the time of his death fell by the wayside, the Jackson estate gave a thumbs-up for Kraken Opus to continue its work on the leather-bound, oversize bio. Fowler told Roker the company currently has some 20 staffers working on photography and research as the publishing date nears.
While the book will indeed contain words chronicling Jackson’s life, it’s the pictures that Fowler said he suspects will lure Jackson fans in. The “Official Michael Jackson Opus” will contain dozens of never-seen-before photographs, and the book’s large format also allows use of photographs in their full glory that may have previously been cropped to fit tighter page space.

Cutting-edge tech
But the real hook for the Jackson bio is its interactive element. Roker was awed as Fowler showed off a mock-up of a membership card to be included in the book that, when placed in front of a personal computer, jumps to life to display Jackson concert footage, complete with sound, with the videos being changed daily.

It’s a new trick that delighted Jackson in the book’s formative process — and one that Fowler believes will make potential buyers all the more eager to pony up the $165 for the book.

“This links traditional media — paper, a book — with 21st-century technology,” Fowler told Roker. “It’s nothing that’s ever been done before. It’s unprecedented, and it’s something Michael really bought into.”

Kraken Opus began accepting advance orders for the Jackson book today through the Web site michaeljacksonopus.com. In addition, orders can be placed through ticketmaster.com.

Along with the big book, ***** fans will also get a chance to see what might have been had Jackson’s London concerts gone forward when Columbia Pictures releases a concert film culled from some 80 hours of rehearsals. The film, “This Is It,” is slated for release Oct. 30.

© 2009 MSNBC Interactive.

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/32376074/ns/today-today_books/

$165.00! Damn.

Heh, my first thought. And I like that they follow up the price with "Michael wanted this to be accessible to as many people as possible", haha. Doesn't sound all that accessible to me.

Like that LIFE hardback book, $100 for only 80 pages? A little ridiculous. But at least that book is leather and lined with 24 kt gold. I hope we'll be gettin something reeeal special for $165.

I'm just genuinely sickened that it's costing more to be a Michael Jackson fan after his death.

ETA: ^^^to the post above... if this will indeed be 'more than a book' and will feature 'interactive media', then boy am I curious...

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/26184891/vp/32386165#32386165

Here is the preview that was on The Today Show this morning.

Heh, my first thought. And I like that they follow up the price with "Michael wanted this to be accessible to as many people as possible", haha. Doesn't sound all that accessible to me.

Like that LIFE hardback book, $100 for only 80 pages? A little ridiculous. But at least that book is leather and lined with 24 kt gold. I hope we'll be gettin something reeeal special for $165.

I'm just genuinely sickened that it's costing more to be a Michael Jackson fan after his death.

ETA: ^^^to the post above... if this will indeed be 'more than a book' and will feature 'interactive media', then boy am I curious...

Check the link in the quoted post. They show how the interactive part will work. Tis pretty cool. Should be interesting to see what concert footage they include. Bad tour? Victory tour? Triumph? omg.:bugeyed

I'm guessing the Estate now has ownership of all that footage and if Michael wasn't willing or ready to release it, maybe they will? Not sure what else they could include that would make this different. Bucharest footage has been released several times over so hmm....
I wonder.

Is this a Europe only book? I'd prefer if I was just able to walk in to a book store in the USA and just buy one off the shelf.

So many of the other are going for 100's if not 1000's of pounds, I am going to display this book with pride!! I am so excited! It looks awesome I have already pre-ordered it. How the hell does it become 3-D though? I saw it on this link, but do you have to have some sort of special program for that to work I wonder?

I'm so excited!! :) It ended up being £109 with £16.00 postage (!!!!postage!!!) but I just gotta have it, I don't care :) haha

wendy2004 - I hadn't read your earlier post. Makes sense. Thanks!

Michael didnt sound like someone being contolled or not enthused about working on many projects to corespond with his concerts .. when asked about Michael on the Today show Kraken stated That when they met 3 days before his death _ Mike was very happy and excited and showed no signs of being unhealthy or under the influence ..

what was supposed to be a 20-minute meeting with Jackson
turned into a two-hour-plus gabfest with the publishers.

Fowler said Jackson wanted his story told in a way that differed from the dozens of Jackson books — many of them scandalous — already crowding shelves at booksellers. “Obviously, a huge amount had been written about Michael Jackson, both visual and editorial, and I think one of the things that fascinated Michael Jackson when we sat down with him, from a creative point of view, was to tell the story maybe in a way it’s never been told before,” Kraken explained. “That’s the challenge we set.”

The last meeting
Kraken Opus reps met with Jackson regularly as the book progressed, including a meeting just days before his death. “He looked happy, fine,” Fowler said of the company’s last meeting with the King of Pop. “In those days before, we were talking about how we were going to create the content, and he was immersed in it. There were no signs at all. He was very happy and enthused about it.” While many projects Jackson was working on at the time of his death fell by the wayside, the Jackson estate gave a thumbs-up for Kraken Opus to continue its work on the leather-bound, oversize bio.

Fowler told Roker the company currently has some 20 staffers working on photography and research as the publishing date nears.
While the book will indeed contain words chronicling Jackson’s life, it’s the pictures that Fowler said he suspects will lure Jackson fans in. The “Official Michael Jackson Opus” will contain dozens of never-seen-before photographs, and the book’s large format also allows use of photographs in their full glory that may have previously been cropped to fit tighter page space.

Last edited:

um it cost more than my damn coffee table. shit i'll peep it once and put it away.

I'm SO getting this!!! $165 a pop is hella expensive for a book, but it sounds so friggin awesome.

Awesome. I am definitely buying this when I have the money.

I want it it looks great

That going to be my Christmas present :D

my room is too small for this.lol...looks amazing

Okey i have som questions can some1 clear this out 4 me:

Is this book a limitied edition?
Cause i have not the money 2 buy it right right NOW.
I have 2 wait a little.

Will this book come out in stores etc? Or will it just be on that webpage you can order it?

Some1 plz help me out, i want this book but i havent that money right now, and im affraid 4 it to go off my hands....

Looks great, but are pages made of Gold?

This is great, hopefully i can persuade my parents to get me it for my birthday :unsure: :D

Well I better start saving my pennies now because I'm definitely getting this :yes:

I can get excited about this! :)

Okey i have som questions can some1 clear this out 4 me:

Is this book a limitied edition?
Cause i have not the money 2 buy it right right NOW.
I have 2 wait a little.

Will this book come out in stores etc? Or will it just be on that webpage you can order it?

Some1 plz help me out, i want this book but i havent that money right now, and im affraid 4 it to go off my hands....

I dont know whether or not it will be in stores but it says the price is for a short time only so it might be more expensive later i dont how much

I dont know whether or not it will be in stores but it says the price is for a short time only so it might be more expensive later i dont how much

It said on the website that the opus series books can cost up to 400$ normally..... =/ that's more than twice the amount they're asking for it at the moment.

Just in time for the Christmas rush. Mike's debts will be paid by the middle of next year, maybe the end of this year

Back