Official: The Jackson UNITY TOUR

Re: Official: The Jackson Start Their UNITY TOUR in July

actually if they had started to do their own thing in the 80s when Michael left the group for good, now this wouldn't be an issue. As they never established themselves without Michael, now people have problem with seeing them on their own. They don't raise much interest and some even see it as a tribute act.

And again no one said it's wrong, it just isn't that successful that's all.

Uh, have you ever heard of the album 2300 Jackson Street?? It's not like they haven't tried to do it themselves. Unfortunately for them they failed. The public is fickle that way, even the Victory album did disappointingly, if you compare that one to Thriller. So it's not like they haven't tried to establish themselves on their own. And obviously, as long as Michael is around, what's the point in a Jacksons reunion without the most popular member?

Also, lots of Marlon's dance moves are directly taken from Michael's routines.

Nah... I saw Marlon dance the other they... I don't see much Michael in his dancing. And as for the clothes, whatever... it looks cool... also on the Victory tour they had clothes in that way.

actually if they had started to do their own thing in the 80s when Michael left the group for good, now this wouldn't be an issue. As they never established themselves without Michael, now people have problem with seeing them on their own. They don't raise much interest and some even see it as a tribute act.

And again no one said it's wrong, it just isn't that successful that's all.

They released an album, performed and made videos without Michael, in the 80's, after he left the group. Unfortunately, without Michael, the interest in terms of album sales wasn't there.

They released an album, performed and made videos without Michael, in the 80's, after he left the group. Unfortunately, without Michael, the interest in terms of album sales wasn't there.

The brothers put all of their eggs in one basket, in my opinion.

They wasted all of that time waiting for Michael to join them again and if there was no interest in them as a group after Michael left, they should have just moved on to "maybe" a career behind the scenes.

They probably could have hooked up with one of the major music labels (when the remaining members were STILL relevant) and got a job that way, making a name for themself, independent of Michael. All of those years waiting and nothing to show for it.

I'm pretty much aware of the Jacksons albums, thank you very much..

Unfortunately, without Michael, the interest in terms of album sales wasn't there.

and the interest still isn't there as it can be seen from this tour.

^^Ah, well, if they can play in front of 1000 to 3000 people in major cities, then there is at least some interest there. Not every act fills stadiums or arenas, but still they can make a living by playing concerts.

I went today(tired as heck, havent sit since 10 hours ago), just got back and they were phenomenal. Just like some others have said, Marlon was full of energy, even though he did lots of Michael's dance routines. But I loved every bit of it. It was my first time, and who knows last time seeing them so it was special to me.
They also didn't forget Michael at all, and every other song they'd point at the sky and say something. There were also funny paets where they'd make jokes between eachother to the audience and they sure had a blast.
I was really close to them too, though they're werent lot of people. Not empty but def not full, the hall could easily fit like 5500 people and there was maybe an amount of 3000? What did get my attention though was they didnt play Jermaine's Dynamite although it was part of the European setlist. It did gowayyyy to fast but id go again in heartbeat!:D

Got an autographed book of the tour of all four with pics of Michael too, and a Victory Tour shirt! Liked that one better :p

but still they can make a living by playing concerts.

absolutely. but doesn't it make you question why they didn't do it for the last 28 years?

absolutely. but doesn't it make you question why they didn't do it for the last 28 years?

yup, sure does. AND, if they had started out that way back then (playing small arenas and such), they could've slowly build a career of their own. Perhaps not a Michael Jackson kinda career, but a decent one where they could make a living on their own. Would that have been so bad? :)

Like MJ*PP, I saw the brothers yesterday as well (where were you standing MJ*PP? :) ). I'd seen them previously during one of the Night of the Proms shows, but they only performed a half hour set back then.

Although I do have mixed feelings about the brothers, I have always loved the J5 and Jacksons music and have always thought the brothers were talented in their own right (obviously on a totally different level than Michael, but who is on Michael's level anyway?). That, combined with the fact that I really liked the Jacksons/J5-heavy setlist, convinced me to go (I would not have been interested in a show filled with covers of MJ's solo work)

I certainly did not regret going - they did a great job. Vocally they did not disappoint, and, like others have said, Marlon in particular has great energy. The band was excellent (btw, Jonathan Moffett was in the audience too) - they really got a strong crew to go on the road with them. I really enjoyed hearing songs like Never Can Say Goodbye and Push Me Away, as well as the funky rendition of Can't Let Her Get Away. Although the venue (capacity of 4500) was definitely not sold out, the people that were there seemed really into it.

I definitely get that people get a bit annoyed by Jermaine wearing MJ replica clothing from time to time - I find it tacky too. Yesterday, he was wearing a kind of Victory Tour-style outfit though, like the other brothers. On the other hand, I do not really understand the complaints about Marlon dancing like MJ. He's just dancing the way he's always been dancing. Go look at a Victory tour clip, Marlon back then was doing the same moves that he does now. Did he try to copy MJ's moves a bit back then? I think so (and generally not that successfully imo). But it's not like he's going out there and doing the Billie Jean routine. He just does his own (somewhat MJ inspired) stuff which seems to come to him quite naturally, and other than that is just a part of the group choreography.

All in all me and my friend (also a huge MJ fan) had a great time. I just woke up and now have the Immortal World tour to look forward to - which is up tonight!

Exactly behind the Golden Cricle, in the middle! Yet I felt soooo close! Im going to CDS tooo, where will you be seated?

What's wrong with the brothers paying tribute to Michael? Surely they have more right than anyone to do so? I guess it is a tribute in the sense that they are doing all those old songs, including several that were never performed before. The actual Mj tribute bit consists of about ten per cent of the show.

No, they don't, but the members of Queen are not Freddie's brothers (also his solo songs never were hits, other than Barcelona). Also, all the Michael songs they perform on the show, except I can't let her get away (which is used as a groove to introduce the band) and Gone to soon (which is a tribute to Michael), are the songs they also performed on the Triumph and Victory tours. And really, so what? These are great songs. They love to play them and the audience loves to hear them. So where is the harm?? All the fans applaude all other kinds of artists doing tributes to Michael by playing his songs, but his own family is viewed as devils because they dare to play their little brother's songs. Seriously???

And no one is copying anyone. They are brothers, who shared the stage for the first 20 years of their careers. So similarities are only natural. But still, there is no excessive copying going on. Lot of the dance moves stem back from the time they were together.

I was at the show too and I enjoyed myself. I liked it. Obviously it's not the same as with Michael, but it was good nevertheless. Shame that only so few people came.

well said.
for me also it was totally cool to see them, and performing all the songs. that was it what i have expected to see. what i have expected before i bought the concert ticket. and i'm happy now that i was in munich. an experience i will never forget.
thanks to the jacksons. :)

What's wrong with the brothers paying tribute to Michael? Surely they have more right than anyone to do so? I guess it is a tribute in the sense that they are doing all those old songs, including several that were never performed before. The actual Mj tribute bit consists of about ten per cent of the show.

I agree with Ivy.
Basically brothers were playing dead for 28 years because MJ didn't want to tour with them, and after MJ's passing they got a new lease of life, and mostly what they do, is something to do with MJ. Have they got no identities of their own?
What I have seen from their costumes, choreography, its all Michael.
Jermaine, of course makes it even worse dressing identical clothing as MJ and posing as MJ.

24.1n019.Jackson1.c--300x200.jpg

to compare to original
24.1n019.Jackson2.c--300x300.jpg

My recommendation to them is, lay off Michael stuff from their concerts and do their own thing, establish themselves as Jackson 4, not MJ tribute act.

did u visited one of the concerts?
they copied at no point michael.

btw, they used here in europe the bus company "beatthestreet" for traveling. an austrian company.

setra342gross.jpg

http://www.beatthestreet.net/
when i look on the list of their clients i can see the name "joe jackson". anyone know how they build up the connection to the jacksons? any infos?

Last edited:

879222479.jpg

---------------------------------

Jermain WHY :rollin::lmao: Ok....Jerm in a skirt....I am dieing with Laughter her...:lmao:

I agree with Ivy.
Basically brothers were playing dead for 28 years because MJ didn't want to tour with them, and after MJ's passing they got a new lease of life, and mostly what they do, is something to do with MJ. Have they got no identities of their own?
What I have seen from their costumes, choreography, its all Michael.
Jermaine, of course makes it even worse dressing identical clothing as MJ and posing as MJ.

24.1n019.Jackson1.c--300x200.jpg

to compare to original
24.1n019.Jackson2.c--300x300.jpg

My recommendation to them is, lay off Michael stuff from their concerts and do their own thing, establish themselves as Jackson 4, not MJ tribute act.

Jermain trying to LOOK LIKE Michael with his cheap costume makes me physically sick. And no there is nothing to laugh about between those two pics. :mad: There is NO need for Jermain to try and dress like Michael. He needs to understand that he IS NOT and NEVER will be Michael...the two of them are NOT even in the same league. smdh

Also for those of you that went to their concerts and had a good time....I am happy for you. :)

No, it doesn't. They did try 24 years ago and failed, for whatever reasons (I'm sure though they could have done a tour on the level they are doing now back then... of course though, it has to sting going from stadiums to theaters within 5 years). And instead of failing again and going out as a incomplete version of the Jacksons (the very reason why this tour doesn't make sense to some), they where hoping that Michael would eventually rejoin them and did come running when Michael agreed to the 30th anniversary concerts. But now with Michael dead, there is no holding out hope. They either do it or will never do it again. So now, when they have their definitive "no" from Michael, they are doing it without him. Makes perfect sense to me.

Jermain WHY :rollin::lmao: Ok....Jerm in a skirt....I am dieing with Laughter her...:lmao:

Because the scottish kilt is the traditional scottish clothing and they were playing in Scotland. He was paying respect. Like he is paying respect to Michael by wearing inspired clothes. He was not trying to be a scot.

btw, they used here in europe the bus company "beatthestreet" for traveling. an austrian company.

setra342gross.jpg

http://www.beatthestreet.net/
when i look on the list of their clients i can see the name "joe jackson". anyone know how they build up the connection to the jacksons? any infos?

That's the artist Joe Jackson. Not their father. And as you can see on the client list, they are the #1 tour transportation... anyone and their mama uses that company.

Prometheus said:
They where hoping that Michael would eventually rejoin them and did come running when Michael agreed to the 30th anniversary concerts. But now with Michael dead, there is no holding out hope.

But they didn't come running. They had the opportunity of 2 high-profile sold out concerts at msg and a massive tv audience of over 25million, and yet the brothers still were arguing over money, the guest list, and issuing press statements saying this and that and threatening not to turn up. It was a tribute concert for mj's time in showbiz and yet the bros made it all so stressful - and that's just what we know in public domain, what was in sullivan's book is a complete nightmare, but as it's schaeffel being the source i'll just skip that. So really the brothers were really their own worst enemy with regards to hoping to tour with mj.

^^The issue at the time was that Jermaine objected to the high ticket prices and threatened to not be a part of it.

And as for what Sullivan says, whatever it is, I haven't read that book... screw him and screw Schaffel. I don't go for tabloid writers and shady people's gossip to back up things or form an opinion on someone.

Jermaine objecting ticket prices is just ...........:D

I wonder what made him to changed his mind and attended to MSG concerts?
Oh yeah, money.

FYI, some tickets to see The Jacksons were more expensive than MJ's 02 or Lady Gaga. Talking about overpricing.

Like he is paying respect to Michael by wearing inspired clothes.

inspired?

in general military clothing would have been inspired, some of the stuff he wears are plain replicas.

what was in sullivan's book is a complete nightmare, but as it's schaeffel being the source i'll just skip that.

david gest and frank cascio also mentioned it in David Gest's documentary also a little bit in Frank's book. Frank said in his book that Michael did not want to renuite with his brothers and especially michael was keeping his distance from Jermaine and thought Jermaine would be a headache. David Gest says to Michael he would handle all of his family and then Michael agrees his brothers to be included in the show. Then in the documentary David and Frank said Jermaine was causing all types of problems (as Michael predicted) and michael called him to say he no longer wanted him to perform. If my memory isn't failing me it was Katherine who asked him to be added again promising that he won't cause any more problems.

Jermaine objecting ticket prices is just ...........:D

I wonder what made him to changed his mind and attended to MSG concerts?
Oh yeah, money.

FYI, some tickets to see The Jacksons were more expensive than MJ's 02 or Lady Gaga. Talking about overpricing.

Yes. The Jacksons tickets were expensive, at least the ones in front. Yes. Officially they were more expensive than the MJ tickets at O2. But what you have to realize is, that the MJ tickets that went for 75 pounds at Tickemaster were (mostly) the crappy ones. The majority of tickets in the front rows were sold by AEG via Viagogo and/or special packages and did cost 300 to over 400 pounds, depending on when you bought them.

You could get a front row ticket for the Jacksons for 100 pounds and much cheaper if you didn't go for the top tier tickets (the cheapest ticket at the show I went to, did cost around 28 pounds). The front row tickets for MJ in New York did cost over 500 dollars. So whatever expensive you think the Jacksons were, the New York and London tix for MJ were still more expensive.

But what am I arguing? Your colors are showing. According to you, whatever the Jacksons are doing (or you think they are doing) is crap, wrong and bad. In a way what you (and others) are doing to them is what others were doing to Michael over the years. Everything is used and turned against them.

inspired?

in general military clothing would have been inspired, some of the stuff he wears are plain replicas.

Yes. Inspired. The brother's wear inspired stuff. Jermaine wore a replica. And so what?? Stupid fans run around in MJ clothes all the time. Nobody says shit about that, but Jermaine does it and he's the devil?! I find it more tacky when girls (and MJ fans in general) run around in MJ clothing.

david gest and frank cascio also mentioned it in David Gest's documentary also a little bit in Frank's book. Frank said in his book that Michael did not want to renuite with his brothers and especially michael was keeping his distance from Jermaine and thought Jermaine would be a headache. David Gest says to Michael he would handle all of his family and then Michael agrees his brothers to be included in the show. Then in the documentary David and Frank said Jermaine was causing all types of problems (as Michael predicted) and michael called him to say he no longer wanted him to perform. If my memory isn't failing me it was Katherine who asked him to be added again promising that he won't cause any more problems.

Well, then I'm glad that they went against Michael's wishes. The reunion part was the most interesting part of those shows to me. Brought something to the table we hadn't seen in 17 years. More interesting than the same old solo performances or him joining up with Britney, N'sync and Usher.

And if the "trouble" was Jermaine objecting to the crazy ticket prices then he was right to do so. Those ticket prices were outrageous.

I'm glad that they went against Michael's wishes.

Stupid fans

so you decided to show your "colors" too?

and FYI if you read my posts you will see that I personally think all of the tribute acts that dress and/or look like Michael is creepy too. Jermaine will not get an exception from me because he's a Jackson. Oh sorry a Jacksun.

edited to add

The brother's wear inspired stuff.

and you don't see the issue with this? as long as they keep being inspired by Michael, fans or even media will never see them as their own persons and keep referring to them as a tribute act.

This is the sad part. If the Jacksons did not work without Michael, they had decades to do their own thing. Establish themselves as unique and separate individuals. To give credit when due - Tito did this.

so you decided to show your "colors" too?

I've decided to show that I'm tired of fans thinking they are the only ones allowed to wear Michael inspired stuff.

and you don't see the issue with this? as long as they keep being inspired by Michael, fans or even media will never see them as their own persons and keep referring to them as a tribute act.

No, I don't. They are brothers. They are family. They are branches from the same tree. I expect there to be similarities. And really, fans would be up in arms as well, if they'd acted like Michael never existed. And as long as there are countless tribute shows out there, which only tribute and relation is to money, I see nothing wrong, with the Jacksons doing their thing and being inspired by Michael.

"But what am I arguing? Your colors are showing. According to you, whatever the Jacksons are doing (or you think they are doing) is crap, wrong and bad. In a way what you (and others) are doing to them is what others were doing to Michael over the years. Everything is used and turned against them."

I never tried to hide my true colours, I think I have made fairly clear what I think of them.
Let me be clear, I'm ok with them trying to make their own money so they don't have try to attack against MJ's estate or other silly things. You are right about the rest. They are crap, bad, and they are doing very wrong by copying Michael 95% of they "act".
I dislike them as much I dislike anyone one else out there trying to make living of what Michael is famous for, whether it is Justin B, Usher, or Jacksons. To me it doesn't make any difference that they are siblings, to me they are bunch of people riding MJ's coattails.

"Stupid fans"
That one works both ways:D

"They are brothers. They are family. They are branches from the same tree."
I'm sorry but I do not see it that way. I see this way, MJ is like towering Oak tree, and sibling are like creeping plants trying to cover this Oak with their own leaves and suck life out it. Close enough, yet not the same.

The Jacksons could have been doing this show long before Michael died. As far as I can tell, only Tito continued to perform. I know for a while Jackie was an Artist Manager. He had a client with a little success, but I can't remember who it was, I believe it was a Rap Artist. I hope that financially touring is paying off for them. If Jermaine wants to spend his share of the proceeds buying attention seeking outfits and duplicates of Michael's costumes, that's his loss. He would be better off fronting his talents (singing his solo hits both American and European) rather than attention whore like gimmicks. Jermaine needs to tread carefully. He can't turn his brothers into his back up singers and succeed.

Went to see them on thursday, it was a great show.
Never got the opportunity to see michael perform so this was as close i could get to see a jackson perform.
It was great though!

So, here are my thoughts on The Jacksons Unity Concert at the Hammersmith Apollo, London.

I thought overall the performance from the brothers was good, and comparative to new acts, they are clearly veterans of the 'biz' that absolutely know what they are doing. Their rapport with the audience was very telling of their roots playing clubs/bars. The highlight was Marlon's dancing, the guy can still bust out the moves! Also, Tito, whom is obviously an accomplished bassist and guitarist. Jermaine's vocals were better than I expected, although he was at times pitchy and trying to sing out of his range/comfort zone. I didn't like his whole rendition of Gone Too Soon much - It felt rather contrived to me, but then much that Jermaine does can rather come across that way. I was disappointed at the lack of Epic tracks. Essentially the concert comprised of Motown numbers with some of Michael's songs thrown in. A shame, because my favourite Jackson tracks are not Motown (namely Torture and Walk Right Now).

Overall, it was a nice little concert, but you have to bear in mind I'm a regular gig/theatre/concert-goer, so I'm probably quite hard to impress. Everyone else seemed to enjoy it enough.

Is their guitar player the same one that was in TII?? Not Oriantha but the guy?

Kudos for the kilt .Nout for the tie! . Waves at Jermaine in the thread :bugeyed

Is their guitar player the same one that was in TII?? Not Oriantha but the guy?

yeah it was the guy with the gorgeous diamonds guitar aka the same that was in TII

Jermaine's vocals were better than I expected, although he was at times pitchy and trying to sing out of his range/comfort zone.

I agree with you there... case in point "I wanna be where you are"... I love that song, but what made him decide to sing it like that?

I was disappointed at the lack of Epic tracks. Essentially the concert comprised of Motown numbers with some of Michael's songs thrown in. A shame, because my favourite Jackson tracks are not Motown (namely Torture and Walk Right Now).

Huh? If we leave the Michael/Jermaine songs out of the equation, then they played 10 Epic songs against 9 Motown songs (as you can see on the setlist I posted earlier). Pretty even if you ask me.

Back