Old voice or New Voice?

Old Voice Or New Voice?

• Total voters
After listening to the 08 remix of "WBSS" and listening to Michael's vocals again, I am absolutely convinced that he's putting grit in his voice on purpose. That's the style he's taken to adopting largely over the past 10 years, but when he's just singing flat out, his voice sounds as smooth and as clear as ever, he sounds supremely young.

Last edited:
I like how his old voice is so sexy and how high his new vocie is, so I like them both^_^

Am sorry, but I do hear the struggle. The way he sang it was not on purpose I believe. When he can't pull a certain singing style off, he compensates by using a "rough screaming voice". I just keep thinking that he has lost a little bit of that power he has in his voice. Again, listen to the ad libs on I'll Be There - Bad Tour, then listen to the one from History Tour, not even remotley as poweful as the Bad Tour one.

Michael was having throat problems on the History tour, I can't remember what exactly, but he was having health related issues. That's why he sounded the way he did at the times he sung live.

He was in his vocal prime during History and he still is. Michael hits high, powerful notes all the time without it being rough. In "Speechless" he does, in "You Rock My World", in "Don't Walk Away", "The Lost Children", etc... And if we're going to talk about his vocals on "History", which are some of his best ever, he hits high, clear notes on "Childhood", "Earth Song", "Smile", etc... His voice has retained all of its quality and range. It's a style he impliments. But if you listen to these songs, when he wants to sing with intensity and aggression, that's when he puts that grit in his voice, when he want's to sing with a softer, more sensitive emotional touch, he sings smooth and clear. Believe me, he has phenomenal range and can sing in any style and register he wants and control it the way he wants. His staccatto vocals are something to be admired, by the way. People don't understand how difficult it is to sing like that. Cutting off the end of each note and then moving in to the next one, its almost impossible and most singers wouldn't be able to even concieve of singing in that style, let alone actually do it.

Last edited:
Good point on Speechless, one of my favorite songs. I totally forgot about that one.

....but still, listen to Dancing Machine on the 30th Anni. concert, the way he said "vibes", I believe he couldn't pull it off smoothly as he did back then, so he just screamed it out.

Last edited:
but its unfair to base MJs complete ability to sing smoothly on a few times where MJ doesn't sing smoothly. Especially when its during a concert where he was dancing AND singing AND wasnt feeling so hot.

I think i'd want to wait until I hear a new song he completely sings before I decide whats better. His vocals sound a bit too quiet on the WBSS remix . .

but its unfair to base MJs complete ability to sing smoothly on a few times where MJ doesn't sing smoothly. Especially when its during a concert where he was dancing AND singing AND wasnt feeling so hot.

That's what am saying though, he did it on WBSS remix and that's on an album were he really practices a lot. Besides, I seen him perform Dancing Machine without a problem when he was younger and it sounded terrific.

Yeah, well, the 30th Anniversary show, Michael was sick, he had a cold, so... lol.

lol that's always the excuse. I remember watching the racist speech he did here in NYC on youtube. At one point people told him to sing and he acted like he was sick, he was like "my voice" and put his hand on his throat.....I mean come on.:lol:

That's what am saying though, he did it on WBSS remix and that's on an album were he really practices a lot. Besides, I seen him perform Dancing Machine without a problem when he was younger and it sounded terrific.

Well, he was YOUNGER. :lol:

And as stated MANY times in this thread, MJ sings rough cuz that's the style he's adapted in recent years. And also it's a remake of the old one, so MJ trying NOT to sound like the original. And plus it's not THAT likely that he rehearsed OVEr AND OVER for 2 lines in a song which AKON primarily sings in lol. Anyways, he sounded great anyways.

MJ has sounds VERY smooth and VERY rough in different recordings, depending on how he feels like. I mean, MJ sounds pretty smooth in For All Time. You're not pointing that out LOL

lol that's always the excuse. I remember watching the racist speech he did here in NYC on youtube. At one point people told him to sing and he acted like he was sick, he was like "my voice" and put his hand on his throat.....I mean come on.:lol:
Well this time it's VERY CLEAR that MJ wasn't feeling good that night (s). If you can't see that well...i dunno lol

And anyways, MJ's singing was brilliant in parts like I'll Be There.

Last edited:
For me its also the same, tiny changes came within time....but MJ is still MJ and will always be!

But you see, its not an excuse, its the truth. It's well known that Michael was suffering from a cold when he performed those two shows. Either way, Michael sounded good on those live segments, even though his voice wasn't in top form. Michael never likes to sing on the spot, not when people push him. He's shy about that kind of thing, seriously. But how many clips do we have of Michael just singing while shopping or any such thing and he sounds amazing? Plenty.

Comparing Michael's voice now to that of when he was 14 isn't really viable, his voice isn't even the same kind of voice now as it was then, it wasn't even the same type of voice in his late teens and early 20s as it was then.

Michael didn't get with Seth Riggs for his 10 second cameo on the remix of "WBSS". He gets with Seth when he's ready to record a new album so he can have his voice in to top form. But even so, I don't see what's so wrong with that verse Michael sang. He put an edge in to his voice. But just because he did that doesn't mean he's unable to sing high and clear, that's a misinformed opinion I think. He does so on many of his recent songs, as I've pointed out, from "Dangerous" through to "Invincible". With songs like "You Are Not Alone", "Childhood", "Will You Be There", "Smile", "Don't Walk Away", "Speechless", "The Lost Children", "You Rock My World", "Earth Song", and so on. It's crazy. If you compare Michael's vocals on "History" to his vocals on "Childhood", its a completely different take in vocalization. If you heard only "History", you may say Michael is struggling, but then you turn around and hear "Childhood" and you hear no struggle at all. Why do you think that is? Because Michael is simply styling the songs in a different way.

Last edited:
Well, he was YOUNGER. :lol:

And as stated MANY times in this thread, MJ sings rough cuz that's the style he's adapted in recent years. And also it's a remake of the old one, so MJ trying NOT to sound like the original. And plus it's not THAT likely that he rehearsed OVEr AND OVER for 2 lines in a song which AKON primarily sings in lol. Anyways, he sounded great anyways.

MJ has sounds VERY smooth and VERY rough in different recordings, depending on how he feels like. I mean, MJ sounds pretty smooth in For All Time. You're not pointing that out LOL

Well this time it's VERY CLEAR that MJ wasn't feeling good that night (s). If you can't see that well...i dunno lol

And anyways, MJ's singing was brilliant in parts like I'll Be There.

Yeah that song is good, but to me that's all it is. I want him to do songs were he really shows off his vocals, like he did on let say Baby Be Mine or Walk Right Now, he really gave it to you there, he's not just singing, but he's been more like a show off....like saying I can really sing. Today I don't really hear that same energy or passion if you will. Only like I've said before, he replaces the missing energy with screaming. He used to elongate his verses and really give it that extra flavor, and he doesn't really do that now. I just want him to do well, hopefully he'll come around on this new album which we all anxiously await.

And again, I don't mean his youngster voice or his present voice. I realise I phrased the title improperly. I know he can't sound that young anymore. It has to do more with the style. I should have wrote that....oh well.

Last edited:
I get what you're saying. I just think its a matter of styling more so then inability to sing as he used to. You simply don't like his style now as much as his older, which is fine, that's your preference is all.

I Like His Old Voice And New Voice Equally ...........
but his old voice is more energetic......

His voice from Off The Wall - Bad was my favorite as far as his voice. It seemed so fresh...plus you can still hear the R&B roots. Now it's great..but different.

He sounds great ALWAYS to me.. But if I had to chose the era that highlighted his versitility the most would be Dangerous...

I didnt like his high pitched voice too much... his thriller and bad voices are good.. to be honest non of us truely know what he currently sound like... im sure its still good.. HMH sounds like his voice was edited a bit...

Through the years, his voice has definitely changed. Not dramatically, but it's evident. I can't really say if I prefer his older stuff to more recent material. It doesn't matter, I guess. But in all honesty, sometimes I find myself preferring to listen to songs like "Take Me Back" rather than anything more recent. If I really had to choose a time when his voice sounded the best, it would be the Dangerous era. Can't Let Her Get Away... it's incredible.

Don't get me wrong I lovvvvvvvvve MJ then and now. But I feel like he sang more during the Off The Wall/Thriller days. In his later albums, MJ does a lot more uhhhhh yelling and uhm.... angry grunting(?)..

::braces for impact of blunt objects being thrown::

All clear??... Kay lol..

I mean I love each album for individual reasons. But Off The Wall and Thriller?!?!? That man's voice shone like a beacon of light in a dark cave lol. He's got a p*nty-dropper voice (excuse the expression) lol. The 80's were definitely MJ's crooner days, I love it.

Last edited:
Michael's voice is superb..it was great when he was a kid, during the 80's and 90's and today..his voice changes but never into anything bad...it was good then and its good now :)..so i like them both!

It's hard to choose so I voted: I like his old and new voice equally

one last thing about this 'new voice'/'old voice" stuff. Get a load of the Destiny album. Push Me Away's vocals are so smooth like butter...then Things I Do For You, rough, gritty, and 'grunting' ......so just cuz he does one style doesnt mean he cant do the other.

Back