Original Versions OF XSCAPE Album

Giving more listenings to DYKWYCA, the only thing it bothers me are the synthesizers, the guitar instead in the 2010 version suited the song better. Excepting that, it's an amazing track.

Still obsessed over STTR. I really wonder if that operatic high note (which is so beautiful, nothing to criticize about) was really included by Michael.

Giving more listenings to DYKWYCA, the only thing it bothers me are the synthesizers, the guitar instead in the 2010 version suited the song better. Excepting that, it's an amazing track.

same here... even though the 2010 version is the best version of DYKWYCA- I would have liked the vocals a lil more enhanced, like it is on the new version. But again the annoying midi (video game sound) just kills it.

Now, is there a way to just get rid of the midi sound from the new track using some audio editing tools? Or the other way around- is there a way to enhance the vocals on the 2010 version?
or do we need multi tracks to be able to do that?

On a side note: I have the same low vocals problem on Mind is the Magic. Is there any way to make the vocals stand out a little more? An example of this would be the old and the bad25 "Fly away" track. I always felt that the vocals were improved upon on the Bad25 version compared to the Bad S.E version where the vocals much lower than it needed to be.

Michael's original creations are a integral part of his legacy as a whole, they are a constant reminder of the genius that he had throughout the years. Xscape highlights this extremely well, Michael had the feel & creativity of creating glorious sounding music for the world... and that legacy is being continued :heart:

I agree! It is, without a doubt, my fave song on the entire album....I'd have to say it's one of my fave MJ songs ever, actually...The atmosphere he creates is just something else....

This. FACT

Still obsessed over STTR. I really wonder if that operatic high note (which is so beautiful, nothing to criticize about) was really included by Michael.
Me too, probably the track I have been replaying the most thus far. It's just got the kind of groove that makes me want to hit rewind as soon as the track is over. That's just something which is basically impossible to replicate when you change the rhythms and hooks that the vocals were sang too, no matter how good those new ones are. Maybe it's because I'm very into jazz and funk where this is especially stressed, but the interplay between all the different instruments in a song is what I find really magical. When those different elements click, they become more than the sum of their parts and the song really takes on a different dimension. It's hard to put into words, it's really a feeling you get when listening to the music. The last minute-and-a-half of Speed Demon is another prime example of this for me. That's the funk.

I think Michael was an absolute genius at molding his vocals around the different rhythms and counterrhythms produced by the other instruments in a song. His timing just seemed naturally great (and I'm sure soaking up everything James Brown at such a young age didn't harm either!). Listen for example to his "o-hoo-oo" in the intro of the demo (e.g. at .37 seconds). It just follows perfectly after that little synth hook. His "hoo!"'s shortly after perfectly punctuate those short notes that are being played at that moment. The stacatto delivery of the verses works well with this drum pattern and the synths in the background, while it could easily sound a little forced/slowing over a different rhythm (it does imo in all remixes of this song). And him accenting the word "slave" in the choruses coupled with the drums being accented by a cymbal hit, gives it that extra oomph. That gritty ad-lib just as the song starts to fade out a 4.28 is just another example of all of the above.

These might seem like small things, but for me it is exactly these minutiae that gives a song that special feeling when it works - much more so than the production.

Do you guys feel like the original "Xscape" is originally inserted in some kind of album concept? The movie-like samples at the beginning kinda makes me wonder what the concept of the original recording was in MJ's mind...

Do you guys feel like the original "Xscape" is originally inserted in some kind of album concept? The movie-like samples at the beginning kinda makes me wonder what the concept of the original recording was in MJ's mind...

It was created for the invincible album. Due to the "disagreement" with Tommy Mottola, MJ held it back along with some other strong tracks with the intention of putting them onto a post Number Ones album. This never happend thanks to Martin Ba$hir.

PS: I've bought today Xscape & Dangerous in 24/96 (from qobuz). STTR would have perfectly fit onto the dangerous album

Last edited:
How is it that the original STTR version is so much different from the version that got leaked years ago ??
Same with DYNWYCA. I always thought those leaked versions are the original.

How is it that the original STTR version is so much different from the version that got leaked years ago ??

No, those mixes were made for the Michael album but weren't selected for the album.

both(actually all others too) 2010 leaks are posthumous remixes

Me too, probably the track I have been replaying the most thus far. It's just got the kind of groove that makes me want to hit rewind as soon as the track is over. That's just something which is basically impossible to replicate when you change the rhythms and hooks that the vocals were sang too, no matter how good those new ones are. Maybe it's because I'm very into jazz and funk where this is especially stressed, but the interplay between all the different instruments in a song is what I find really magical. When those different elements click, they become more than the sum of their parts and the song really takes on a different dimension. It's hard to put into words, it's really a feeling you get when listening to the music. The last minute-and-a-half of Speed Demon is another prime example of this for me. That's the funk.

I think Michael was an absolute genius at molding his vocals around the different rhythms and counterrhythms produced by the other instruments in a song. His timing just seemed naturally great (and I'm sure soaking up everything James Brown at such a young age didn't harm either!). Listen for example to his "o-hoo-oo" in the intro of the demo (e.g. at .37 seconds). It just follows perfectly after that little synth hook. His "hoo!"'s shortly after perfectly punctuate those short notes that are being played at that moment. The stacatto delivery of the verses works well with this drum pattern and the synths in the background, while it could easily sound a little forced/slowing over a different rhythm (it does imo in all remixes of this song). And him accenting the word "slave" in the choruses coupled with the drums being accented by a cymbal hit, gives it that extra oomph. That gritty ad-lib just as the song starts to fade out a 4.28 is just another example of all of the above.

These might seem like small things, but for me it is exactly these minutiae that gives a song that special feeling when it works - much more so than the production.

Yes, Yes, and YES! I am SO in love with the original STTR. I've wanted to express that for a while, but really didn't know how to put it into words...You did it perfectly. What a gem that song is!

No matter what others do with his music, they just can't get it right. Not that I blame them, it's impossible. Michael was all about emotion, feeling, and creating an atmosphere, and no one else can really replicate that or try to run with that feeling because it's all his own.

I do enjoy the new versions, I don't have a problem with them, because I didn't let my expectations get too high. But they do strip the actual essence out of the song when they remix it.

Ugh, I just love this demo, along with Chicago demo. Such perfection and solid MJ classics :)

The booklet says that STTR was engineered by Bruce Swedien. This would indicate that it was a (strong)cadidate for the album.

The booklet says that STTR was engineered by Bruce Swedien. This would indicate that it was a (strong)cadidate for the album.

I can't wait til I get my actual CD tomorrow so I can read through it...I love doing that with new MJ albums :D

I can't wait til I get my actual CD tomorrow so I can read through it...I love doing that with new MJ albums :D

289j4aw.jpg

^
consider this as a warming up for tomorrow :naughty: :D

Somebody help me please, I can't stop listening to APWNN!
1669.gif

Evertime I manage to break away from it I just find myself listening to the new version instead, before eventually switching back to the original again! Why did they need to give us 2 amazing versions of an amazing song? Just one is already enough to totally mess up my daily routine!
1669.gif

Somebody help me please, I can't stop listening to APWNN!
1669.gif

Evertime I manage to break away from it I just find myself listening to the new version instead, before eventually switching back to the original again! Why did they need to give us 2 amazing versions of an amazing song? Just one is already enough to totally mess up my daily routine!
1669.gif

ONE, TWO, THREE:D

I agree! It is, without a doubt, my fave song on the entire album....I'd have to say it's one of my fave MJ songs ever, actually...The atmosphere he creates is just something else....

Funny thing i played the remix of Chicago to a friend of mine and he went crazy like, this is the best song ever, what a song! Then i played him the Demo of Chicago and he just sat there in silence with the most stoic expression and just said, Wow. This is so beautiful. He was literally stunned. I'm telling you the Demo for Chicago is on another level, I had the same reaction the first time i heard it. I just know there is a later version out there somewhere.

Just listen to how beautiful it sounds acoustic and imagine if mike sang it like that. As much as i like timbalands version, imagine if he would have done something similar to what Corey Rooney did here.
2:40 amazing
[youtube]50TZdCrT_nc#t=140[/youtube]

Someone needs to do a a remix of the original asap

Last edited:
I watched that video. Sounds like Cory is playing the beat in the original version he and Michael worked on, the one on the deluxe edition. Could be wrong though, but it sounds familiar.

I wonder that too. Is that Michael?

Not sure if you mean this or meant whether he was the one who included it, but it's definitely MJ's voice.

There's no doubt Michael sang that high note. It sounds like the vocal exercises he'd do with Seth Riggs to warm his voice up. I was just wondering if he really included it or it was the Estate's idea. If Michael did it, it's genius!

Funny thing i played the remix of Chicago to a friend of mine and he went crazy like, this is the best song ever, what a song! Then i played him the Demo of Chicago and he just sat there in silence with the most stoic expression and just said, Wow. This is so beautiful. He was literally stunned. I'm telling you the Demo for Chicago is on another level, I had the same reaction the first time i heard it. I just know there is a later version out there somewhere.

Just listen to how beautiful it sounds acoustic and imagine if mike sang it like that. As much as i like timbalands version, imagine if he would have done something similar to what Corey Rooney did here.
2:40 amazing
[youtube]50TZdCrT_nc#t=140[/youtube]

Someone needs to do a a remix of the original asap

Thanks for this :) The thought of MJ doing that acoustic, unplugged....OMG, just amazing. I'm getting goosebumps just thinking about it.

From the first soft breathy, 'ah' right before he sings, I'm hooked. Every single time.

He has such a way of conveying emotion and a story, this one is heartwrenching, the way he sings in lower register and then just goes all out on the chorus is unbelievable...I love the way he sings, 'loving me while she was still your wife!" I love the intensity in his voice....Even though we've heard him sing like that before, it's still like it's the first time every time...He had that ability...

I'm just so thankful and honoured that we have been able to hear this fantastic performance by Michael. Just wow.

Imagine witnessing MJ sing this in the studio, like Corey was explaining? Oh my.

Last edited:
Just finished downloading and listening to the full Deluxe version... seriously... the "con temporized" versions are terrible... ughh... Original Versions FTW... that's where the quality is.

Do You Know Where Your Children Are Demo is bloody brilliant! It really gives of a prince-ish/ 80's vibe with the synthesizer and the drum track. A great gem was unfortunately lost in Timbalands reproduction. The 2010 version was the perfect approach and the song should have went that direction.

The demo is kickass. :D

YES YES YESSSSS!!!! I freakin' looove it! :woohoo:

This is a cool thread :On first listen my favourite is A Place With No Name
Just something about it.

utopia.png

Sorry for double posting guys, but I can envision Michael just jamming on the guitar :p just strumming along, free singing amongst other stuff
That's a more than Cool tune :)

The original version of Chicago is currently my favorite thing in the world.

After finally being able to listen to it on an official release, I still stand by my belief that the original/leaked version Xscape is absolutely flawless and absolutely been put on Invincible instead of several other songs on the final product.

Oh my God... the original version of Chic-, I mean, She Was Lovin' Me... I'm so freaking happy that this song was able to avoid leaking in the past in spite of how much we've heard about it in recent years. It felt something that could have even suited some popular R&B artists from about 15 years ago like Toni Braxton, Mary J. Blige, etc.

Also, did anybody else automatically think of the song Free when hearing Loving You? I swear those two songs fit so perfectly together!

Back