Post-Invincible Songs?

SkyWalk

Proud Member
What songs / demos have been released-leaked that were recorded after Invincible?

Officially released... we have Hold My Hand which was recorded in 2007, leaked in 2008 but officially released on Michael in 2010. Also released on Michael was Best of Joy, which was amongst the last songs Michael ever recorded having been recorded in late 2008. Leaked wise, we have I Am A Loser and Days in Gloucestershire, they were recorded a couple of years after Invincible.

Apparently there were some vocals on Xscape, Blue Gangsta and A Place With No Name that were recorded after 2001, but I'm not sure if they were recorded in the first place, let alone on the versions that were eventually released. I read that on Wikipedia which is not the best source for unreleased MJ material.

Last edited:
Thanks - great info. So not really that many songs we have since 2001. Any info on songs recorded in 2009? Did Michael have time with all the preparation for the TII shows?

Officially released... we have Hold My Hand which was recorded and leaked in 2008, but officially released on Michael in 2010. Also released on Michael was Best of Joy, which was amongst the last songs Michael ever recorded having been recorded in late 2008. Leaked wise, we have I Am A Loser and Days in Gloucestershire, they were recorded a couple of years after Invincible.

Apparently there were some vocals on Xscape, Blue Gangsta and A Place With No Name that were recorded after 2001, but I'm not sure if they were recorded in the first place, let alone on the versions that were eventually released. I read that on Wikipedia which is not the best source for unreleased MJ material.

I could of sworn I downloaded the leaked Hold My Hand back in 2007

SkyWalk;4162616 said:
Did Michael have time with all the preparation for the TII shows?

The handwritten notes that were found in his rented house (in 2009) showed that MJ was really busy with writing his music, even during his final days when he was preparing also for his ‘This Is It’ comeback.

Ar that time, he was working on various tracks, some of them had already been written/recorded years before (such as, ‘Beautiful Girl’), but many others were brand new songs.

The songs on that list are mentioned with their titles, but (with the exception of some obvious examples) I am not really sure whether the other song titles are real or not (they could be, for example, the working titles of those songs).

So, despite his serious health problems during his final days, MJ was still writing music probably as a way also to keep his mind off his bad (health) condition.

My bad, I muddled it up a bit. It was recorded in 2007 but leaked in 2008 according to the Michael press release here.
Yeah because that's when MJ and Akon started working together around 2006/07?

Also what about 'What More Can I Give' is a post-invincible song?

Yeah because that's when MJ and Akon started working together around 2006/07?

Also what about 'What More Can I Give' is a post-invincible song?

Well that was recorded immediately following 9/11, which happened a month and a half before the release of Invincible. It was also performed live a week or two before the albums release... so I'd say it's still in the realms of the Invincible era.

Last edited:
- "All in Your Name," recorded in December 2002
- "I Am a Loser," recorded in January 2003
- "Gloucestershire," recorded in early 2004
- "Hold My Hand," recorded around November 2007
- "Best of Joy," recorded in October 2008

I could of sworn I downloaded the leaked Hold My Hand back in 2007

HIStoric is right. I most definitely remember Hold my hand being leaked at the end of June 2008. I vividly remember playing it throughout that summer. If for no other reason, it was a highly significant "release" because it was the first song since the trial. At least that's how I remember it. Folks with better memory and knowledge feel free to help out and correct me on that.

- "All in Your Name," recorded in December 2002
- "I Am a Loser," recorded in January 2003
- "Gloucestershire," recorded in early 2004
- "Hold My Hand," recorded around November 2007
- "Best of Joy," recorded in October 2008

Interesting list AlwaysThere. Wasn't aware of many of the recording dates for those. Thanks for that.

I know the last two were released on that December 2010 "partial" album, let us call it :lol: I also remember the first one being officially released by Barry Gibb throughout 2011 - a snippet at the beginning of the year in January/mid-February, the full song on the anniversary of Michael's death and the video close to Christmas, if I'm not mistaken and re-writing history according to my flawed mind :p

What I don't really remember are the dates for the other two, the songs in the middle. When were those leaked exactly? I vaguely remember them from sometime between 2012-2014..............

Leaving aside dates and timing and all that. What do you all think about their quality, however rough or unfinished they may have been. Which one is your favorite? I know my vote definitely goes to the first one, HMH for the sheer joy at hearing his voice after so long.

The video all those years later also matched one of my visions. I had always appreciated that type of videos from artists featuring common folks and more or less joyful everyday situations. It gave a feeling of authenticity and closeness to real life. The fact that in the meantime they went on to use that same template for a few other videos kind of took away from that, but at the time I really thought the Hold my hand video was very well done. Here it goes btw

One more question - what about Slave to the rhythm? When was that one recorded? I remember hearing the leak for the first time in 2010.

One more question - what about Slave to the rhythm? When was that one recorded? I remember hearing the leak for the first time in 2010.

Recorded in the very early 90s during the Dangerous sessions. LA Reid helped write it actually!

What I don't really remember are the dates for the other two, the songs in the middle. When were those leaked exactly? I vaguely remember them from sometime between 2012-2014..............

Leaving aside dates and timing and all that. What do you all think about their quality, however rough or unfinished they may have been. Which one is your favorite? I know my vote definitely goes to the first one, HMH for the sheer joy at hearing his voice after so long.

"I Am a Loser" leaked sometime in 2013, and I believe "Gloucestershire" dropped in summer 2014. I may be mistaken though!

"Gloucestershire" is my personal favorite simply because it breathes a spring/summertime vibe that's just irresistible. Shame it wasn't finished. "Best of Joy" is also quite gorgeous primarily because I'm shocked Michael's voice still sounds so youthful and vibrant at age 50.

So Best of Joy was perhaps the last finished song Michael done?

Is the final version of the song released in 2010 from the "MICHAEL "mix" album the way MJ left it?

So Best of Joy was perhaps the last finished song Michael done?

Is the final version of the song released in 2010 from the "MICHAEL "mix" album the way MJ left it?

Michael's last recording session (i.e., instance in which he recorded vocals of any kind) apparently took place in October 2008 at the Hotel Bel-Air in California, which included the vocals for "Best of Joy" and "I Was the Loser" among others. They almost certainly aren't the last songs Michael worked on, but are the last he recorded.

Nothing on the 2010 Michael album is the way Michael left it. Everything has been touched-up or refined to some degree. Until the original 2008 demo leaks we can never be sure exactly how much it was altered, but the released version of "Best of Joy" definitely is not a Michael-approved mix.

Hollywood tonight was also later re recorded if I am not mistaken?

I've always heard that that was a rumor and the only lead vocal done was from 1998. I could be wrong!

I thought he added some vocal parts in 2008 or around that time and that's the leaked demo we have now? At least, that's what I remember being discussed around here.

I thought he added some vocal parts in 2008 or around that time and that's the leaked demo we have now? At least, that's what I remember being discussed around here.

Yes... The leaked demo we have should be from 2008... Teddy said that this is the last mix, but Michael never heard it...

Officially released... we have Hold My Hand which was recorded in 2007, leaked in 2008 but officially released on Michael in 2010. Also released on Michael was Best of Joy, which was amongst the last songs Michael ever recorded having been recorded in late 2008. Leaked wise, we have I Am A Loser and Days in Gloucestershire, they were recorded a couple of years after Invincible.

"Do You Know Where Your Children Are" Demo has also different vocals from the leaked version. In the demo he says "She's only 12 years old" but on the leaked one, he says "The son is 12 years old"

"Do You Know Where Your Children Are" Demo has also different vocals from the leaked version. In the demo he says "She's only 12 years old" but on the leaked one, he says "The son is 12 years old"

The line is "she's only 12 years old" in both versions. The demo simply has a different vocal inflection.

What about Much Too Soon? Was that re-worked later on or is the version we have now the one from 94' History sessions?

What about Much Too Soon? Was that re-worked later on or is the version we have now the one from 94' History sessions?

It's basically the one recorded for HIStory yes. Just some different guitar and things added.

^^ The lead guitar and vocal track were both recorded in 1994. Everything else is from 2010.

Much Too Soon was from History sessions? Wow. I'd always presumed Off The Wall/Thriller. He sounds so young.

My second favourite track from 'Michael'.

Much Too Soon was from History sessions? Wow. I'd always presumed Off The Wall/Thriller. He sounds so young.

My second favourite track from 'Michael'.
Really!? I first thought it was from Invincible era. Just shows now with all these demos, re-records, acapella /multitracks etc how Michael's voice really didn't change that much at all...!!!!

Back