Prince Appreciation Thread - For Fans

Re: Prince...........

he stopped swearing and also took more of a laidback approach to his grooves. he has gone for a more smoother tone and feel in his music.

but this has been the case for many years now.

He's a little more laid back. Likes to do a lot jazzy jams. But that may have to do with age more then religion. I've seem him several times in the past few years and if the mood strikes he'll return to that old funky dirty Prince. A few years ago when he was doing the stint in Las Vegas. I went to see him and he he was getting angry with his bassist. So he just took the bass from him about 1/4 into the show and just played bass for the rest of the show. Which made it a very funky show and he was feeling it and got lost in the performance and started making some... well... gestures that weren't to Jehovah Witness like... haha.

Thanks for the info guys! :)

Razzies for Thanksgiving: 'Under the Cherry Moon'

6a00d8341c630a53ef012875b956c5970c-320wi

Just in time for Thanksgiving, we recall the films and performances with that special blend of outlandishness, eccentricity and straight-ahead awfulness that have earned the industry's lowest honor, the Golden Raspberry Award.

1986: Worst picture (tie), worst actor, worst director, worst supporting actor, worst original song: "Under the Cherry Moon"

There are vanity films ("Gigli") and there are vanity films ("Boom!," "Battlefield Earth"), and then there are Prince's vanity films. Granted, he directed only two (not counting the concert film "Sign O' the Times") -- "Cherry Moon" and 1990's "Graffiti Bridge," a picture so willfully viewer-proof that only cult movie critic Michael J. Weldon's term "psychotronic" can adequately define it -- but both are so aggressively self-absorbed and dismissive of even the most basic elements of film structure (or entertainment) that they almost comprise their own sub-genre. "Cherry Moon" has a few things going for it -- the processed black-and-white photography by three-time Oscar nominee Michael Ballhaus is genuinely lush, and there are three terrific musical numbers, most notably a scene in which Prince sings along to the car radio as it plays his huge hit "Kiss" -- but beyond that, it's a wan and totally implausible paean to its star's sexual magnetism, which, for reasons known only to him, makes such polymorphous idols as Adam Lambert seem like old-school he-men by comparison.

Prince plays Christopher Tracy, a nightclub entertainer by day and gigolo (of sorts) by night who cruises the French Riviera in search of his latest buck. Ladies of certain means seem to fall over backwards for Christopher's attentions, but it would seem that the owner of his chantilly lace-draped heart is his pal/major domo/confidante Tricky (Jerome Benton of the Time). When they're not engaged in eye-rolling, knuckle-biting acts of muggery or sub-Stooges slapstick, the pair seem content to compare outfits, lounge about sans shirts and indulge in all manner of bitchy repartee. Their Good Thing comes to a head with the appearance of wealthy heiress Mary Sharon (Kristin Scott Thomas, looking even more bloodless and bored than usual), whose $50-million inheritance is the object of their larcenous desires until Christopher falls for her. If you cannot figure out what happens next -- in short, it's a hot dose of revelation, redemption, and sacrifice -- please hand in your Moviegoers' Club Card at the end of this essay.

There's nothing wrong with a hackneyed plot. But the script (by Becky Johnston, who later penned "The Prince of Tides" and "Seven Years in Tibet") is the least of the film's problems. Rather, it's director Prince (who replaced veteran video helmer Mary Lambert) who puts up the majority of the roadblocks in its path. For one, he bites off more than he can chew for a first-timer; attempting to stitch together elements from musicals, broad comedies, romances and melodramas is a formidable enough task for an established filmmaker, but Prince simply has no idea how to hide the seams in his embroidery. More problematic is Prince the actor. Christopher is supposed to be 5-foot-2 of Pure Sex and Charm, but more often than not, he comes across as rude, boorish and opportunistic -- in short, no one that the classy Scott Thomas would fall so head over heels for. More believable, in its own high camp way, is the relationship between Christopher and Tricky, though one imagines that their mincing shtick must have baffled many of Prince's younger female fans.

With so little going for it, there was little surprise that "Under the Cherry Moon" was a dismal failure during its brief theatrical run, with a gross that hovered somewhere around $10,000 (on a budget of $12 million). Even its promotional campaign was a disaster; an MTV-sponsored premiere in Sheridan, Wyo. (of all places) was marred by vandals, who swiped several parts from the '64 Buick Prince pilots in the film. It cleaned up at the 7th Annual Razzie Awards, where it shared top prize of worst film with "Howard the Duck" and took four others, with Scott Thomas earning (but not winning) noms for worst supporting aActress and worst new actress, and Johnston landing the worst screenplay nod. The double whammy clearly had little or no impact on Scott Thomas' career; it's unlikely that few, if any of the viewers who have rallied around her Oscar- and Golden Globe-nominated turn in "The English Patient" (not to mention "I've Loved You So Long"), remember this early misstep. Similarly, Prince's career rebounded, after lengthy and complex mutations, and he exists now as a beloved pop figure whose "genius" label is actually warranted. In the case of "Cherry Moon," however, the Razzie is equally on the money.

LA Times Blog

Personally, I like Cherry Moon better than the other ones. :p

^^^

Me too! "Under The Cherry Moon" is my fave Prince movie. I actually prefer it over "Purple Rain". I don't take "Under The Cherry Moon" seriously and neither should anyone else imo. It's a fun and silly movie. Prince is hilllarious and charming in it, the cinemetography is gorgeous and of course the soundtrack is great. Love this movie lol.

people are very 'clever' when they write reports. but, in perspective, CHerry moon did well. because Kiss did well on the charts. and Kiss is from that movie. and the article doesn't mention what the movie did on dvd or, whatever was around at that time. and ten thousand dollars? one can do a lot with that. people only look at investing millions and getting ten thou in return as bad, only if they want to see it that way. and Cherry Moon was from a happier time..when things were decent for Michael, in the atmosphere, and Prince seemed to be a friendly rival, and watching Prince was sorta fun. it was just a reasonalble feel good era.

Under the cherry moon is sooooo freakin funny! It's a romantic comedy. I quote the movie all the tine.

Vikings vs. Cowboys football

[youtube]Krg1fXjkZqU&fmt=18[/youtube]

OMG! I ACTUALLY FOUND A PRINCE VIDEO ON YOUTUBE THAT WORKS!!!! YAY!
the quality sucks but oh well lol
[youtube]pzYChY7X2wQ[/youtube]

oh and another one

Last edited:

Here's one from his 2009 album Lotusflow3r
[youtube]rQ5DRXFqnwA&fmt=18[/youtube]

I love Prince! I have been listening to him, MJ, and Janet a lot lately..

A huge Prince fan, but this one leaves me going :scratch:. Guess growing up in Wisconsin when the Green Bay Packers went big time, I would imagine a more uplifting/upbeat/even funky track from Prince. But Prince is Prince, you just never know what to expect from him. This time I'd say a more really upbeat and knock it outta the park anthem/song would be more appropriate, but, it's Prince, he marches to the beat of his own drummer---

^^^^^^It sounds like a school theme song to me, lol.

I heard he has been hanging out at the vikings games here alot.. lol who would have thought?

i didn't care for it. pants on the ground energy still hasn't been met imo. ask brett favre and the guys

He is good, i like his music, yeah he is good

I consider him a very good artist, his voice is a little weak, and his very publicized multi-intrumentalist qualities are a little weak as well, but he does it all, so he has the credit no matter if it is perfect or not, because no matter what HE does his best, that is a BIG quality. :)

never really did care for Prince. when he was starting off there was a bit of rivalry and people were raving about how great he was and i could not understand for the life of me why people would compare him to MJ or even suggest he may be bigger and better. I've never warmed to him because of that i think. I was team MJ (well hey, i was just a kid)and to me Prince was way inferior and there was NO comparison.....haha i've held onto it all this time!!

^^^^That's a silly reason to not like someone. :p

^^^^That's a silly reason to not like someone. :p

I concur.. Anyway I love how "Get it off" sounds when sung live. He sings it as apposed to rapping. Alongside the talented Ms Rosie Gaines ofcourse :) "The Greatest romance" is another underrated joint. Tell me? Is Maceo Parker still part of NPG.

I concur.. Anyway I love how "Get it off" sounds when sung live. He sings it as apposed to rapping. Alongside the talented Ms Rosie Gaines ofcourse :) "The Greatest romance" is another underrated joint. Tell me? Is Maceo Parker still part of NPG.
Not that I know of, but he might occasionally get on stage with Prince. I stopped keeping track of who the members of the NPG are long ago, lol. The Revolution always had the same lineup although some other people were added for the Parade tour.

Not that I know of, but he might occasionally get on stage with Prince. I stopped keeping track of who the members of the NPG are long ago, lol. The Revolution always had the same lineup although some other people were added for the Parade tour.

lol yeah, it's actually pointless to try keep track of NPG member. Anyway having Maceo and Eric Leeds made for a powerful horn section!

lol yeah, it's actually pointless to try keep track of NPG member. Anyway having Maceo and Eric Leeds made for a powerful horn section!
Yeah, they're like the Temptations after Eddie Kindricks left or Paul McCartney's Wings. :p

[youtube]9b4KqoObUDs&fmt=18[/youtube]
[youtube]gfsqtpfIL1c&fmt=18[/youtube]

Here's some rehearsal footage of The Revolution from June 1984.
[youtube]Ke0Nd_pfwUM&fmt=18[/youtube]

Back