Prince Appreciation Thread - For Fans

Re: Prince...........

I don't care what anyone says, "Under The Cherry Moon" is a thoroughly entertaining movie! lol. It's obvious Prince was just trying to have some fun and that the movie wasn't meant to be taken seriously. I actually prefer "Under The Cherry Moon" over "Purple Rain".

Me too. Wrecka Stow! That movie is Titanic without the boat, and funnier.

i doubt i'll be popular for saying this, but for me, prince comes out number one!

the thing is though, prince and michael are completely different. prince sings songs about sex, religion, politics etc whereas michael sings songs about healing the world and traumas in his own life.

not only that, but i find that prince makes REAL music, by this i don't mean that michael's music is crap! i mean that he uses real instruments on his songs in the studio and on stage whereas michael uses a lot of computer generated sounds (from what i gather) in his stuff.

the thing i say to everyone is...Michael Jackson is an amazingly fantastic artist, whereas Prince is an amazingly fantastic musician.

Both are so very talented in each their own unique and individual ways and i think despite what they might have said in the past, i think secretly they both respected each other and held each other as rivals.

Michael was/is so much more mainstream than Prince...Mr Nelson is a very acquired taste and i don't think he gets the credit he's due. yeah he's weird and is very arrogant and has...well is just generally strange, but all music's greats have been percieved as strange in some way!

But generally, i think it's unfair to compare the two, as you can't pick out a Prince song and say it sounds like a Michael song or visa versa.

They're both amazing and I love them both,
Just my opinion :)
Please don't shoot me down or bitch at me for anything i might've said! :)

I agree with a lot of your points. Both MJ and Prince are the best in my book. Their styles of music are very different;however, you can dance to both artists' music and have fun. The thing is they both made their sounds work for them.

i doubt i'll be popular for saying this, but for me, prince comes out number one!

the thing is though, prince and michael are completely different. prince sings songs about sex, religion, politics etc whereas michael sings songs about healing the world and traumas in his own life.

not only that, but i find that prince makes REAL music, by this i don't mean that michael's music is crap! i mean that he uses real instruments on his songs in the studio and on stage whereas michael uses a lot of computer generated sounds (from what i gather) in his stuff.

the thing i say to everyone is...Michael Jackson is an amazingly fantastic artist, whereas Prince is an amazingly fantastic musician.

Both are so very talented in each their own unique and individual ways and i think despite what they might have said in the past, i think secretly they both respected each other and held each other as rivals.

Michael was/is so much more mainstream than Prince...Mr Nelson is a very acquired taste and i don't think he gets the credit he's due. yeah he's weird and is very arrogant and has...well is just generally strange, but all music's greats have been percieved as strange in some way!

But generally, i think it's unfair to compare the two, as you can't pick out a Prince song and say it sounds like a Michael song or visa versa.

They're both amazing and I love them both,
Just my opinion :)
Please don't shoot me down or bitch at me for anything i might've said! :)
Great post. I think that Michael saw Prince more as a rival than vice versa really. Maybe he felt threatened when Prince's Purple Rain album was such a major hit. Prince is less obsessed with sales figures than MJ was. If he would have recorded an album that he knew beforehand would only sell 100.000 copies, but he loved it himself he would release it.

Prince has used programming in some of his songs, particularly in the early 80s. Also most of Mike's pre-Dangerous music was live instruments. Quincy Jones used musicians on his productions. Gamble & Huff and the Motown producers also used real musicians on the J5/Jacksons stuff.

Mike's "Superfly Sister" & Prince's "1+1+1 is 3" sound kinda similar.

I don't care what anyone says, "Under The Cherry Moon" is a thoroughly entertaining movie! lol.

I've always loved Under The Cherry Moon. It's a great lighthearted film, and beautifully shot. I love the fact Prince directed Under The Cherry Moon aswell, which shows how big a genius he is.

I love Prince and Michael, they are both great in their own right.

Yep Prince's Opus thing was a rip off but on the other hand his O2 gig tickets were so cheap at £31.21 and aftershows at £25(some of the aftershows I saw him at were longer than the main show and much better too)

His vocals on 'The Beautiful Ones' during his Sept 6th '07 02 main show made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up, they were so raw and strong!

He is absolutely amazing live just like Michael was, both great performers. I don't compare them. Both are incomparable and amazing individuals.

Prince makes me laugh too, I respect him as he does what he wants regardless - its quite amusing, I think he is quite a clever guy.

Love Prince, though I'm not a major fan, my mum is a huuuuuge fan though. I saw him a few years ago in London (was about 6 years ago I think?) with my mum, she's part of the fanclub and there was a mix up with tickets/people arguing over seats etc...Prince came out to see what the problem was! My expression was like this :blink: I couldn't believe it, there was about 20 of us there with Prince! He seemed nice, though I was too over-awed to speak to him. He's incredibly beautiful and petite. With flawless skin. We were sat in the second row, I was literally a few feet away from his guitars, I could have reached out and touched them if it wasn't for the scary security guy watching over them!! It was a good concert though, the man is incredibly talented :)

My favourite Prince song is Sometimes It Snow's from Under The Cherry Moon, beautiful song :)

After the last London show in the early hours of the morning we saw him at the gate near where he exited his aftershow, he came along ran his hand against ours,didn't say a thing but smiled and walked off - it was quite surreal! I agree with you about how beautiful and petite he is up close with that flawless skin.

Michael Jackson and Prince are both very talented and genius-unique artists/individuals who are entirely different entitities, IMHO, as I've said before. Michael will always be my #1, though, because he was the first one I saw and fell in love with. :p Still... I do NOT and could not compare him to Prince or Madonna, for that matter, LOL. I love them ALL. I hate when people compare Greats (negatively speaking). They're "Greats" for a reason.

Last edited:

Mike's "Superfly Sister" & Prince's "1+1+1 is 3" sound kinda similar.

Hmm, I don't know. "Superfly Sister" does sound like something Prince would sing though. I also think "Love" from Prince's "3121" album sounds rather MJ inspired.

I've always loved Under The Cherry Moon. It's a great lighthearted film, and beautifully shot. I love the fact Prince directed Under The Cherry Moon aswell, which shows how big a genius he is.

I agree. The cinematography in this movie is wonderful.

I was watching sign o the times dvd with my friend today, best dvd ever!!! Prince rocks!!!
My favorite part of that is Sheila E.'s drum solo. "Not bad...for a girl", lol. "Sign O' The Times" has never been released on DVD in the USA, just like "Moonwalker" hasn't. I still have the videocassette although my VCR doesn't work.

After the last London show in the early hours of the morning we saw him at the gate near where he exited his aftershow, he came along ran his hand against ours,didn't say a thing but smiled and walked off - it was quite surreal! I agree with you about how beautiful and petite he is up close with that flawless skin.

The man is an enigma but soooo awesome, and sooo talented :)

September 8, 2009

Hollywood actress Sandra Bullock fantasies about seducing pop star Prince so that she can inspire him to write a hit song for her.
The 'Miss Congeniality' star has idolized the 'Purple Rain' hitmaker since her early teens but was too shy to meet him when she had the chance, as reported.

"There was a moment in New York in some nightclub when he was there years ago when I was a waitress. I kept walking by him, hoping he would notice. He never looked at me. I think maybe he saw me once and wrote me off and I'm pretending I might have a chance to inspire a Prince song," the 45-year-old actress said.

Bullock who is married to celebrity mechanic Jesse James is still hopeful to catch the eye of Prince but her husband need not worry too much as the actress fears shattering of her dreams if she was to actually hang-out with her pint-sized crush.

"I've seen the concerts and I don't want to meet the man who makes me feel sexy. Maybe he'll hate me and then I'll lose my sexiness," Bullock added.
http://www.screenindia.com/news/bullock-wants-to-seduce-prince/513344/

Don't know if I could put all of my Prince favorites in order as well... so I'll just post what songs come to mind. :p

1. Erotic City

2. Little Red Corvette

3. When Doves Cry

4. The Most Beautiful Girl in the World

5. Diamonds and Pearls

6. Sexy MF

7. Cream

8. I Would Die 4 U

9. Raspberry Beret

10. Purple Rain

11. Let's Go Crazy

12. I Could Never Take the Place of Your Man

13. Nothing Compares 2 U

14. 1999

15. P***y Control :naughty:

16. Sign O' The Times

17. U Got The Look

That's all I can think of for now, LOL.

I love Prince...I don't understand why its necessary to compare the two.
They were cut from the same cloth but interpreted their influences differently.
yes they have alot of the similar qualities and alot of pararells but when I think of them musically I never put one over the other as they represent totally different things to me.

I don't think I could dwindle down my top Prince songs but here goes in no paticular order top 20

1. Insatiable
2. Somebody's somebody
3. Pop life
4. Nothing compares 2 U
5. Sign O' the times
6. Controversy
7. Do Me, Baby
8. I would die 4 u
9. Sexy M.F
10. Erotic city
11. How come you don't call me anymore
12. Adore
13. The one
14. Girls & Boys
15. Damn U
16. Anotherloverholenyohead
17. The Dance
18. The beautiful ones
19. Forever in my life
20. When Doves Cry

Yep! I LOVE Prince! Lol! My favorite song is "I Could Never Take the Place of Your Man"

I've got a lot.

-Purple Rain
-I Wish U Heaven
-Partyman
-Kiss
-I Can't Make U Love Me
-Style
-Jam Of The Year
-Cream
-Thunder
-Diamonds & Pearls
-Nothin' Compares 2 u (Live Version w/ Rosie Gaines)
-Crimson & Clover
-Dear Mr. Man
-Musicology
-Incense & Candles
-Fury
-Get On The Boat
-The Greatest Romance Ever Sold (Neptunes Remix)
-I Hate U
-I Hate U extended mix
-Peach
-1+1+1 is 3
-Acknowledge Me

Never caugt my attention really:smilerolleyes:, some songs are pretty good though, many many many many many many many many many many manyfans of him here, like many hahahah, i bet on his board there arent that many of Michael;D

Never caugt my attention really:smilerolleyes:, some songs are pretty good though, many many many many many many many many many many manyfans of him here, like many hahahah, i bet on his board there arent that many of Michael;D

On a Prince fan page, there aren't many fans of Prince himself, lol. They're always griping about what he does, that he's been brainwashed by Larry Graham & the Jehovah's Witnesses, and that he doesn't make good music anymore, etc.

*pokes prince in the nose*
*runsaway*
:cookiemonster:
:huh:

On a Prince fan page, there aren't many fans of Prince himself, lol. They're always griping about what he does, that he's been brainwashed by Larry Graham & the Jehovah's Witnesses, and that he doesn't make good music anymore, etc.
That was funny:D

On Prince.org, there are sticky threads warning people to go easy on the Michael Jackson threads. Prince, Michael Jackson and a small handful of other artists have a huge crossover fanbase.

On Prince.org, there are sticky threads warning people to go easy on the Michael Jackson threads. Prince, Michael Jackson and a small handful of other artists have a huge crossover fanbase.
I dont know why so much hate, could it be jelousy?

eep! PRINCE!!! *drools* I am a Prince fan aswell. I pretty much love everything he does. But as of lately I cant get enough of Crimson and Clover. It is SOOOOO beautiful.

I like Prince's older music. I found it odd that Michael's Opus is $330 and is over 400 pages but Prince's Opus is $2100 and over 200 pages......what is deal with that?

I like Prince's older music. I found it odd that Michael's Opus is $330 and is over 400 pages but Prince's Opus is $2100 and over 200 pages......what is deal with that?

Since this Opus project was started before Michael passed and Michael approved of it, he wanted his Opus book to be affordable to all of his fans. :) That's what I heard!

I like Prince, but wouldn't call myself a fan because I don't keep up with him. I do have some of his albums, though. But I'm into his older music from the 80s and 90s. I was so in love with 'Diamonds and Pearls' when it first came out. I also used to play 'The Most Beautiful Girl in the World' over and over again. :) I'm a child of the nineties. ;)

Back