Prince Appreciation Thread - For Fans

Re: Prince...........

Magazine Alert: the November edition of Ebony has 4 or 5 pages about Prince. I bought it but just flicked through it so far. I think it's an article w/pics about the 21 Days book.

btw for all the hardcore prince fans...does any1 have a bootleg DVD feat the Love 4 One Another broadcast from VH1? im dying to see that

I would like to get the Parade Tour on DVD, my 1986 video tape recording of of it is damaged !!!

I hope Prince releases it on DVD some day. But their is apart as much chance of that happening soon, as their is Michael releasing the Bad Tour on DVD.

I would like to get the Parade Tour on DVD, my 1986 video tape recording of of it is damaged !!!

I hope Prince releases it on DVD some day. But their is apart as much chance of that happening soon, as their is Michael releasing the Bad Tour on DVD.
Is that the birthday concert you're talking about?

btw for all the hardcore prince fans...does any1 have a bootleg DVD feat the Love 4 One Another broadcast from VH1? im dying to see that

Update Yes I have it, the one from Paisley Park. He plays RoR is Alive, Days of Wild among others.

Last edited:

i really like the groove of the song prince did

with New power Generation

it's called " Push it up " :punk:

another song in that album was amazing is " the one "

didn't hear much of prince's Music

but he's apparently a unique vocalist .. and a great stage performer too :yes:

EDIT: forgot to say that i really liked the song " Musicology "

You can always hope but I don't think it's gonna happen until the day he dies.

1. Purple Music
2. Baby, You're A Trip & A 1/2
3. 17 Days
4. How Come You Don't Call Me Anymore
5. Do Me, Baby
7. Head
8. LadyCabDriver
9. Love Or $
10. The Ballad Of Dorothy Parker

Mind you, these are not my absloute fave,,,,,but they are on my heavy rotation lately.

Prince is sooooo cool. My current fave songs are ''Purple Rain, Gett Off, When Doves Cry, Girls And Boys, Cream and Kiss'' and sooo many more. Really wish i'd gone to see him at the O2 Arena last year :(

when Prince last came for the tour, i was thinking about seeing him, but wasnt a fan then. I deeply regreat it now. :( Prince is one crazy ride. I :wub: him. i havent heard that many songs of his tho but of the ones i heard...I think doves is my favorite i also love corvette and purple rain..999. musicology is awesome too and i love cinimon girl! HA couldnt think of the name of that one finally got it haha.

AAOWAH!

If anyone hasn't downloaded "Revelations 2.1", DO IT NOW

oh yeah, 4 new songs were premiered on some radio shows today

Los Angeles’ rock radio station Indie 103 was “summoned” to go up to Prince’s home this past week to preview his new album. According to the station’s “Mr. Shovel,” Prince doesn’t have a record label and “wants nothing to do with record labels, so he’s meeting with people to figure out how to operate at his level without a record label.” Following a long conversation with the Purple Rain star, the radio reps were played the new album in Prince’s home entertainment theatre. “It’s heavy, rockin’, and our enthusiasm was immediate,” Mr. Shovel said. Prince then said the station could preview a few of the new songs on Indie 103, so that’s where were we today at 3 p.m.

The album kicks off with an explosive, four-minute instrumental before launching into the first song that was played on the radio… Prince covering Tommy James & the Shondells’ “Crimson & Clover,” with the Purple One altering the lyrics as he’s been known to do during his cover performances. Keeping with the original, the vocals sound like Prince is submerged under water. Things deviate at the chorus, however, as Prince belts out the “ooh baby, I think I love you” part of Jimi Hendrix’s “Foxy Lady.”

“Colonized Mind” was the second song played. Another laid-back guitar joint, it seems like Prince’s intention on this album is to make people stop dancing and just chill. More aquatic layering on Prince’s voice as he sings politicized lyrics with lyrics along the lines of “Did you know your record deal was another way for ‘The Man’ to steal.” Yeah, we don’t think Prince wants anything to do with record labels. The guitar solo is killer, out-guitaring the entirety of Planet Earth’s “Guitar,” before the chorus returns.

“Wall of Berlin” was the third song played. Again, more guitar virtuosity by Prince. If he’s aiming to make an album similar to Side C of Electric Ladyland, he’s off to a good start. The songs also sound more intimate, like the Artist recorded these songs without any Revolution and New Power Generation behind him. “4ever” is the ballad, with Prince busting out the piano before being joined by backup singers. It’s not “Free,” “Ballad of Dorothy Parker” or “Sometimes It Snows In April,” but it’s still a solid, latter-day Prince slow dance as he ruminates about marriage and being with someone, well, 4ever.

And that’s all we get. For now, at least. Again, according to the DJs, Prince’s new album is finished and he’s just looking for a non-record label vessel in which to release it. We’ll keep you posted in what promises to be a busy year for Prince.

Source: http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdai...-songs-on-las-indie-103-new-album-on-the-way/

Last edited:

Thanks for the above write up, DuranDuran. This should be real interesting to see what Prince comes up with this time in r/t releasing his new music. The man doesn't play when it comes to re-inventing the proverbial wheel.

The new stuff is good! I just had a listen. I'm really loving "Colonized Mind". Can't wait for the new album!

I found this article that was written in Prince's high school paper when he was attending there.

From Central High School newspaper on February 16, 1976:

Nelson Finds It "Hard To Become Known"

"I play with Grand Central Corporation. I've been playing with them for two years," Prince Nelson, senior at Central, said. Prince started playing piano at age seven and guitar when he got out of eighth grade.

Prince was born in Minneapolis. When asked, he said, "I was born here, unfortunately." Why? "I think it is very hard for a band to make it in this state, even if they're good. Mainly because there aren't any big record companies or studios in this state. I really feel that if we would have lived in Los Angeles or New York or some other big city, we would have gotten over by now."

He likes Central a great deal, because his music teachers let him work on his own. He now is working with Mr. Bickham, a music teacher at Central, but has been working with Mrs. Doepkes.

He plays several instruments, such as guitar, bass, all keyboards, and drums. He also sings sometimes, which he picked up recently. He played saxophone in seventh grade but gave it up. He regrets he did. He quit playing sax when school ended one summer. He never had time to practice sax anymore when he went back to school. He does not play in the school band. Why? "I really don't have time to make the concerts."

Prince has a brother that goes to Central whose name is Duane Nelson, who is more athletically enthusiastic. He plays on the basketball team and played on the football team. Duane is also a senior.

Prince plays by ear. "I've had about two lessons, but they didn't help much. I think you'll always be able to do what your ear tells you, so just think how great you'd be with lessons also," he said.

"I advise anyone who wants to learn guitar to get a teacher unless they are very musically inclined. One should learn all their scales too. That is very important," he continued.

Prince would also like to say that his band is in the process of recording an album containing songs they have composed. It should be released during the early part of the summer.

"Eventually I would like to go to college and start lessons again when I'm much older."

Does anybody know what album the song "The One" is from?

Here is the link: http://6.cn/watch/801334.html

I hope somebody knows because I really like this song and I can't seem to find anything about the song anywhere :(.
It's on the album "New Power Soul", which is out of print I think. There is a live version on the 21 Nights book/CD that was released a few months ago.

It's on the album "New Power Soul", which is out of print I think. There is a live version on the 21 Nights book/CD that was released a few months ago.

Ooooooh, ok thank you so much!

Also, do you know what the song is called that has something to do with Guns (like, I think the title has the word gun in it too :unsure:)? I think it may feature a female artist too, but I'm unsure on that one... I hope you know which one I mean.

Thank you for your help! :)

Last edited:

That's "Love Sign" released in 1994 by Nona Gaye, who's Marvin's daughter. At the time Prince was going by Symbol, or The Artist. Ice Cube directed the video. If you watch closely, there's a shot of him on a magazine cover.

Last edited:

Listening to "Berlin Wall" and not feeling it. I like the rest of the tracks, though.

Last edited:

i like how prince releases new music almost every year. michael is the exact opposite on this department lol

That's "Love Sign" released in 1994 by Nona Gaye, who's Marvin's daughter. At the time Prince was going by Symbol, or The Artist. Ice Cube directed the video. If you watch closely, there's a shot of him on a magazine cover.

Oooooh, thank you so much! :)

abselutly love Purple Rain !. such a good song. -and movie.

and still think he's HOT! :D

I heard he has plans to release 3 new albums in 2009. We'll see. Is that the way to make money with music? Release as much as you can? All about quantity. That is no real good solution.
Will i am said that in 2009 almost no one will buy cd's anymore. And I know I will not, cause I want quality.

Back