Prince Appreciation Thread - For Fans

Re: Prince...........

Prince's best songs aren't really the singles (although they're good) but the album tracks, and some of his b-sides. What's also great about Prince is that in a lot of cases he'll change the arrangements of songs in concert, so it's different.

I agree, Prince's best songs aren't his singles. To really appreciate the music and genius of Prince you have to own all his albums, and get as many of his B-Side 7'' Single songs as possible.

One of the things I love about Prince in concert is that he often changes the arrangements of his songs on tours. Or creates medleys of various songs.

In 2007, he gave legal notice to YouTube, eBay and The Pirate Bay to take down all of his copyrighted content. Then, last October, Prince's record company, Universal, demanded that YouTube remove this home video of a toddler dancing to a barely audible clip of "Lets Go Crazy." Even this past spring, Prince demanded that YouTube remove a fan-recorded video of his cover of Radiohead's "Creep" at Coachella.

Last edited:

prince is amazing. nothing and no one can beat MJ and Prince. they set the bar too high forever

Whats wrong with Prince? He looks like a nice fella..
Mr. Nelson has always been a control junkie. When he 1st got signed, Warners wanted Maurice White from Earth, Wind, and Fire to produce his debut album. Prince refused, because he thought that Maurice was played out and didn't want to sound like EWF, and wanted to do it HIS way. Somehow his manager convinced the record company that Prince (who was unproven & unknown) could deliever the goods.

http://perezhilton.com/2008-06-28-dont-mess-with-his-purple-one

The diva is fighting back!

Fifty artists recently recorded Prince covers in honor of his 50th Birthday this past June 7th.

Unfortunately for them, everyone's getting sued!

But the funny part is, they're being sued by Prince himself.

Yup!

Prince's attorneys are demanding that all copies of the tribute album be destroyed immediately.

In Norway, Shockadelica has reached No. 8 on the album charts. It's also received several popular reviews by the Norwegian Press.

So, what's the problem?

By law, it's legal to sell cover songs of someone else's material. You're just required to pay about a 10 cent licensing fee per song.

Norway's C+C Records has distributed 5,000 of the box sets since the beginning of the month. They've also given digital versions.

However, they say no one has made any money from the project.

So they claim they didn't think they owed Prince any money.

Just maybe a free copy?

Christer Falck, owner of C+C Records, said he contacted Prince's people to try and send a set to Prince and that's where the legal issues began.

Though luckily for them, with all the attention the lawsuit will bring, we bet they'll be selling a lot more than 5,000 albums.

Now you'll be able to pay Prince….AND your lawyer!

Mr. Nelson has always been a control junkie. When he 1st got signed, Warners wanted Maurice White from Earth, Wind, and Fire to produce his debut album. Prince refused, because he thought that Maurice was played out and didn't want to sound like EWF, and wanted to do it HIS way. Somehow his manager convinced the record company that Prince (who was unproven & unknown) could deliever the goods.
also Verdine white the Bass player and Maurice's Brother was asked to Produce on "for you" but Prince told his manager that verdine only played Bass. in reality Verdine can play Bass and keys and also can write and Produce.

tommy vicardi who is listed as executive Producer had a bit more of a hand in the Production of for you. also Chris Moon co wrote another track on that album along with Patrice Rushen playing Keyboards and Programming and Her boyfriend at the time helped out on some key parts and andre cymone played bass on "I'm yours" and another track. but warners wanted to sell Prince as the latest wonderkind.

yeah prince always been about control and selective about acknowledging credits.

Prince's ego is very large, he has sued everyone from fans to famous people for using his image or music in any way, even if it promotes him. Sometimes I wonder how he could have such a huge fan base, then I turn on one of his albums and remember, "Oh ya, this is why, he is amazing." Needless to say I really enjoy Prince, Purple Rain is probably the most beautiful song ever written, but he has some issues.

I love Prince very much~~!!!
Do Me Baby is one of my favorite song!!!!

I heart Prince. :D But I heart Michael more. :D hahaha..
His best songs were in the 80's. Although I really liked his "Musicology" album. :D hehe.
"3121" was decent... there were a couple of songs which I enjoyed.

I agree, Prince's best songs aren't his singles. To really appreciate the music and genius of Prince you have to own all his albums, and get as many of his B-Side 7'' Single songs as possible.

Very true, though this is often the case with many great artists.

Two of my favorite Prince tracks are "U Make My Sun Shine" with Angie Stone and "I Hate U" Remix..... really cool R&B jams.

"Black Sweat" is such a hot song...

Propose me the album to listen to first, Prince fans,cuz I mostly know the singles.

"Black Sweat" is such a hot song...

Propose me the album to listen to first, Prince fans,cuz I mostly know the singles.

Go with Sign O' The Times from 1987. His last album Planet Earth is good also. But if you're a casual fan, I'd just go with his mid 80s music. Depending on what you dig in subject matter, I wouldn't advise on getting something like Dirty Mind, lol. But since he became a Jehovah's Witness, his music has been pretty clean and he's renounced a lot of that earlier material.

What I like about Prince is his variety of sounds. I enjoy songs like Gett Off and Black Sweat but also Purple Rain (one of my fav songs of all time) and When Doves Cry... So , I guess it's random!

I will make sure to check out one of his albums. Thanks!

What I like about Prince is his variety of sounds. I enjoy songs like Gett Off and Black Sweat but also Purple Rain (one of my fav songs of all time) and When Doves Cry... So , I guess it's random!

I will make sure to check out one of his albums. Thanks!
Well if you like Gett Off, then his other stuff shouldn't bother you. Still start with Sign O The Times. The concert video of that is great also. His most popular album is Purple Rain, but it's kinda like Thriller. Not in the sound, but that it's overplayed. Diamonds And Pearls (which contains Gett Off) is another good one to start with. It's one of his most commercial sounding records. But some people are turned off by Tony M's raps, lol. I think he works on some songs and others not. Controversy & Dirty Mind are kinda new wavish, I like them but I heard them at the time. They might sound dated to a new listener. If you just want an overview, buy The Hits/The B-Sides.

My favorite Prince songs:

I Hate U
I Hate U (Remix)
Jam Of The Year
Dear Mr. Man
Style
Diamonds & Pearls
Cream
Thunder
Purple Rain
Let's Go Crazy
If I Was Your Girlfriend
Housequake
Acknowledge Me
Musicology
Future Baby Mama
Fury
Incense & Candles
The Word
P Control
U Make My Sun Shine w/Angie Stone
Kiss
The Most Beautiful Girl In The World
Nothing Compares 2 U

This thread makes me want to listen to Prince again.

I think I like his Batman album best. Weird huh?

Batdance is one of my favorite Prince songs. Partyman, Electric Chair and The Future are also great songs from the Batman album.

Bob George (my favorite song from the Black Album) is an awesome song which I listen to a lot.

Greatest Hits albums like the Ultimate Prince are not a good representation of Prince's music. A lot of his best songs were never released as singles, or were'nt big hits. Songs like Automatic, It, Private Joy and many more to mention don't appear of Hits albums. If you are curious about Prince's music by a 3 CD set called Prince The Hits/B Sides. As it has all the big his like 1999, Kiss and Let's Go Crazy, and also B Sides and rare songs Feel U Up, Erotic City etc and non hit singles like Dirty Mind.

Prince albums I recommend are

1. 1999
2. Dirty Mind
3. Sign "O" The Times
4. Controversy
5. Around The World In a Day
6. Parade

He's an amazing artist, but a prick at the same time.

I don't know if Prince is a prick, as I have no idea what he's like as a person. From interviews I have on DVD of him I really like him. But I don't like the way he's been treating fans, banning them from sharing unreleased songs on fan sites and removing all videos of his tv and concert appearances on sites like YouTube, Michael doesn't do that to his fans.

Last edited:

Prince is different. He's been suing and the lines are blurry on exactly who he's suing... there are people saying "He's suing fansites for posting his picture", and while that seems to be the case, there's probably more at work than that. He does do a lot of things that other, more successful artists don't seem to be doing. I'm not sure if that's good or bad.

He does seem arrogant at times, like giving a performance of a lifetime and then just casually walking off stage with a simple handwave goodbye. But that's probably just his demeanor, I don't know. He's just a strange guy. Who knows.

I hate the way the entire RIAA works. People aren't sharing unreleased music and concert performances and stuff to short change the artist, they're doing it because they enjoy the artist and want more from them. It's free advertising, free publicity. I can tell you right now if it wasn't for the internet, Youtube, and fan sites like these, I'd be buying 3 or 4 cd's a year instead of spending several hundreds of dollars on music every year like I have been. It's opened me up to many artists I'd probably not even have heard of. The more I see of artists like Prince, MJ and Stevie (PMS.. always thought they should form a band, haha) the more I enjoy of them and purchase more and more of their music.

I'm off on a tangent, but I don't really think Prince is a jerk, it probably just comes across like that. He released an apology statement and song to his fans when the fans felt betrayed.

Prince is an artist you can't make out, he comes across very arrogant, but some say he is just very shy.

His concerts at the 02 were amazing, i wish he would just communicate with his fans more and stop being a jerk.

So has any1 ordered the 21 nights book & cd?? I have, it seems to have been delayed somewhat maybe, the tracklist was posted on HQ, but I don't know if that is the real one.

Back