Robin Williams Dead at 63

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you hear that? There's some kind of annoying buzzing sound in here. Where's the fly swatter when you need it.

I think Robin was an enormously talented entertainer but he was insensitive and cruel to mock Michael publically the way he did. I'm hurt and sad he died but I can’t overlook that fact.

I wasn't even talking to you or Arklove, I just made that comment on barbee when she said he was sincerely regretted how he made fun of Michael. Don't give yourself that much importance.
OK, Snow White. I wasn't going to watch the video you posted, because like I said I've only seen 20 seconds of him doing this and clicked it off. But since you made the comment to me, I went back and watched it.
I'm not so sure he was really joking in this-people just laugh because of who he is. They expect funny, even when it's not. I think he was being serious-explaining that propofol is not just an extreme version of Sominex. But, I still feel like he tried to make a sincere apology about bashing Michael in the past.

I understand. I used to always be a "forgive, but not forget" kind of person. Starting in 93, I neither forgive nor forget.

^He was serious on what you mentioned but what it wasn't funny but the audience cracked was when he said "taking propofol is like doing chemotherapy because you're tired of shaving your balls." He was mocking on that one.

This is really awesome. I had no idea he did all of this stuff. Especially his involvement with the USO. That's near and dear to my heart.

http://money.cnn.com/2014/08/12/news/companies/robin-williams-charity/

On screen, Robin Williams was a whirlwind of energy. Off screen, Williams channeled that energy into charitable work.
The late actor offered his time, money and celebrity name to over 50 charities and causes, according to Look to the Stars, a website that compiles the charitable works of celebrities.

One of his most visible efforts was fund-raising for the St. Jude Children's Research Hospital. Williams began appearing in commercials and public service announcements for the hospital in 2004.
St. Jude said Williams never charged a fee for his participation in any events or activities.
"Whenever he had an opportunity to meet patients and families he would do it. When you have a person of Robin's caliber, it helps sick kids forget about their diseases for a while." said Kelly Schulz, vice president of communications at St. Jude.

The same year, Williams joined the board of the Christopher & Dana Reeve Foundation, which raises money for spinal cord injury research. Williams served on the board for four years.
Williams and Christopher Reeve, the actor and director, were roommates when they were students at the Juilliard performing arts school in New York.
"Robin would do two or three dinners or events for us each year," said Peter Wilderotter, CEO of the foundation.
"Many celebs have requirements about cars and who they will talk to, but Robin was the opposite. He showed up on his own and he stayed at our events and talked to everyone," said Wilderotter.
While he would not discuss amounts, Wilderotter said that Williams was also very generous in his financial support of the foundation. "These weren't token gifts," he said.
Wilderotter added that Williams lent his name to the organization because of his special relationship with Reeve. Fund-raising letters using Williams' name, "always had a better response than the usual fund-raising letters," he said.

Williams was also a big supporter of the United Service Organizations, or USO, which provides support and morale-boosting performances to U.S. troops and their families.
The USO said that throughout his 12 years of involvement with the organization, Williams created special moments for nearly 90,000 servicemen and servicewomen in 13 countries.
"Williams traveled around the world to lift the spirits of our troops and their families. He will always be a part of our USO family and will be sorely missed," the organization said in a statement.

I think it's shameful of some of Michael's fans to be so cold hearted towards somebody killing themselves. How dare you complain about somebody insulting MJ when somebody who has ended their life doesn't tug at a compassionate string in your heart. How can you claim to want compassion from someone when you yourself aren't bothered about giving it yourself.

Michael was a human being and it's horrible to be at the end of a joke, but we also have to remember that MJ was a global entertainer with controversies galore. He was the biggest celebrity on Earth, what comedian didn't have MJ in his stand up, 5 years after his death MJ is still being referenced. It's not right to sum up somebodies entire existence due to a few corny jokes.

I can't believe it, his MJ jokes didn't even enter my mind. The man ****ing hanged himself yet all you care about is the few times he cracked a MJ skin colour, plastic surgery or children joke... some of the most tamest shit compared to others, have you seen Katt Williams or freaking Necro's song about MJ? Robin spoke compassionately about MJ after he died, he obviously related to Michael. Are you realizing what you guys are making MJ fans look like? A man killed himself, jeeze. Reading what he said about Michael after death was touching, it seems Robin understood MJ more than some of his own fans.

Plus if you didn't know comedy is used as an escapism. Not everyone has the same taste in comedy sure, but yeah... joking about things you may not deem appropriate is somebody elses coping mechanism. The tale of the sad clown is a common one, and yeah, even our beloved MJ made fun of people and hurt peoples feelings. Maybe not in a stand up routine infront of an audience, but in life... but when he was pronounced dead we don't sit there and list the times he did things that weren't too great. Robin was an entertainer not a ****ing dictator... he said some thigns we didn't like, but to belittle his existence and think of him negatively upon hearing he has ended his life due to depression, due to sadness... it's pathetic.

Best post in this thread.

Look how regretful he was to make fun of Michael having the nerve of "joking" how he used propofol in 2011 when Robin Williams committed suicide.

^He was serious on what you mentioned but what it wasn't funny but the audience cracked was when he said "taking propofol is like doing chemotherapy because you're tired of shaving your balls." He was mocking on that one.

But that's a fact! Propofol is an extremely over-the-top solution for when you're struggling to get to sleep. He then shows uncomfortableness when he mentions MJ had it applied at home. Sure, I would've preferred if he pointed out that MJ's doctor was applying it to him but this is hardly a joke at the expense of Michael Jackson. It was an over-the-top solution (I blame Murray) and it's very rare to have it applied in homes due to the strength of it. I remember watching this a few months back and I wasn't even offended by it because well, it's true.

The thing is, just because someone makes a joke about Michael Jackson doesn't make them a total asshole who shouldn't have sympathy when they hang themselves with a belt. In fact, I'm sure every single one of you has joked at least once in your life at someone's expense. When you die, should no one care about you because you joked about someone else?

Robin Williams made fun of Michael Jackson on a few accounts. Do any of us like that he did that? Obviously not. He was a human being. Like all of us, he has his regrets and clearly the Michael Jackson jokes were among those. The comments he made on Graham Norton, while they could've been worded better, were barely jokes. Robin Williams has provided a lot of comfort and happiness to the world over the past few decades and I think that completely outdoes a few completely forgettable jokes he made about Michael Jackson. I may not like the jokes but I've seriously heard a lot worse and it doesn't throw everything else he did out the window.

The people in this thread who constantly bring this up to tear the man down further are hypocrites. Remember how upset we all were when everyone brought up the allegations, Blanket's dangling, drugs etc when Michael died? If you can demand the same respect for Michael then you can show the same respect for Robin.

You don't have to like Robin or his work.
You can think he is an asshole.
You don't have to grieve his loss.
But this isn't the time nor place.

Some people just want to come here and talk about a man they loved watching throughout their childhood. I mean for god's sake, show some f*cking compassion! He was a human being whose suffering was so bad, he could only see death as an escape. If a few forgettable jokes make you throw out all the amazing things he's done for charity as well as the happiness and laughter he's brought to this world... Jesus you know what, I shouldn't even have to explain this.

never found him funny but liked his drama stuff, eg One hour photo, Good will. He made terrible mistakes like leavin his wife for the Flip girl, givin another chick herpes, etc; its up to them to forgive him. Rip

Alright everyone... for the love of Pete... please. Calm down.

In the past 8 hours or so we have received no less than TEN (yes, 10!) reports on the arguing going on in this thread. It needs to stop and it needs to stop now.

This is a thread dedicated to the life, memory and legacy of one of Hollywood's greatest, and one of the world's funniest men. Yes, he poked fun at Michael and it wasn't right. If that's all it takes for you dislike this man, then fine. Dislike him and be on your way. But there are many here who were big fans of Robin's, and they would like to mourn, honor and celebrate his life without somebody (or several "somebodies") coming in here to tell them that they are wrong for doing so. Perhaps this is not being said in so many words, but by coming back and arguing and keeping the argument going, that is exactly what you are saying. Remember, actions speak louder than words.

The thing with Robin is, he didn't just poke fun at Michael, he poked fun at everybody. Even his friends. Even himself. And unlike many comedians who will resort to making MJ jokes as a last resort, or who's careers may have taken off in part due to their making fun of Michael, Robin had neither of those issues. He built a career before making fun of Michael became "fashionable", and he had a career long after that went out of style. Making fun of Michael was wrong, but for Robin it was just par for the course. A course from which nobody was immune.

That being said, I will be going through this thread and deleting all argumentative posts. This is your warning. If we receive any more reports from this thread, necessary action will be taken.

I have a feeling there is no longer any moderation on the board. If any thread needed it it was this one. Ive never seen such hatefulness and insensitivity like this before. I guess you really get to learn about people at times like this .. No matter what side of the fence they are sitting. I'm actually crying as I write this, not that anyone cares or is sensitive to the pain ttheir fellow fans may feel. It Would have been nice just for the sake of those who were mourning to show some respect for thier feelings even if you personally didn't care about RW .... I can't explain how very very very depressed I am coming here anymore. So much its making me ill .. Plus I just don't feel the spirit of Michael on this board anymore, Not just here but over all ... This will be my last post on MJJC .

:huggy:
:(

I appreciate your words and agree completely.

I can't explain how very very very depressed I am coming here anymore. So much its making me ill .. Plus I just don't feel the spirit of Michael on this board anymore, Not just here but over all ... This will be my last post on MJJC .

Aww man...
1BqKz60.jpg

I don't know if you mean forever or just for a while, but whatever it is, I wish you well. I always enjoyed reading your posts and the fact you were often realistic and thought about things from different sides, took that into consideration, was something I really, really appreciated. Thank you :huggy:

(I clicked 'thanks' before I got to the point where you were mentioned you were leaving. Trigger finger...)

I'm only halfway through this thread and I cannot believe the things I am reading, the things some of you are saying. This thread is not about celebrating Robin, it has turned into a place where many seem to find fit to bash him and judge him.

I am closing this thread, and I will start a new one. If I was to delete all argumentative and off-topic comments, this thread would be empty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back