Seeing Voices - The Appreciation Thread

Andrew Lloyd Webber has said that Michael desperately wanted to do the film version of Phantom. But this is when it had not been running very long and Webber said he was afraid a movie version would kill ticket sales.

He said after Chicago was such a hit and the stage version continued to go like gangbusters, he was sorry that he didn't do it when Michael wanted to. (Between Bad and Dangerous).

Since he cast Madonna as Evita, I definitely believe him.

This makes me so sad actually, Michael knew how the industry worked, he knew when to jump in with such a dynamic idea. I believe he knew the potential of such a move and im sure it could exceed "Chicago" easily especially having been I feel like the first of it's kind. Remember that was one thing they noted about "Chicago" was the way it was created. Imagine him placing his genius there how much of a being hit that would have been!

Although I wasn't exactly impressed with the snippet, the song in its entirety truly is beautiful - the story behind it, Michael's voice and the sweet melody really are wonderful, they really are. Very dreamy, sweet and touching :)

It actually reminded me of someone I knew when he was a child. He was both deaf and mute and although I didn't know the sign language we got along great. Goes to show that feelings and communication can be shared in many ways. I last saw him when he was a teenager, meaning ages ago. I hope he is safe and happy. I wonder what it would be like to see him now.

Even though I listened to the song as sooon as I realized it was leaked, I'd love The Estate releasing such beautiful gem officially. I'd happily support it.

I hope this will get an official release one day.

Maybe not as a new MJ normal album, but if a musical or movie could somehow use the song as soundtrack it would fir perfect - and then it should of course be released as a single !

Beautiful song IMO !

The story and meaning behind this song just makes it perfect

Seeing Voices >>> the entire Xscape and Michael album.

How is this not a 20 page thread by now? I think one of the reasons I love this song so much is because it brings me back to the HIStory era, songs like Childhood and Elizabeth I Love You, which I've always adored. It just shows how unique MJ was and that he wasn't your typical popstar. Could you imagine Madonna or Prince recording something like this?? Something so unashamedly passe and "uncool"? To me, songs like this are priceless as they show the real side of MJ - the man who listened almost exclusively to classical music and once said in all sincerity that his favourite song of all time was My Favourite Things from The Sound Of Music.

I dread to think how the estate will try to mess with this one. "Seeing Voices" Timbaland remix feat. Chris Brown.

seeing as this is an unreleased i dont think you can say MJ didn't care about being uncool based on the existence of seeing voices. +prince has plenty of 'uncool' songs, Solo, Papa off the top of my head

Dilan;4101017 said:
seeing as this is an unreleased i dont think you can say MJ didn't care about being uncool based on the existence of seeing voices.

He did release plenty of songs that are considered "uncool" and not typical in pop/rock music: Childhood, Little Susie, Speechless, You Are My Life, The Lost Children, Heal The World etc, so I'm with Matty, I don't think he cared. Seeing Voices was basically a favour to Sidney Fine, so I don't think it was in MJ's hands whether to release it or not.

"What is the definition of cool? Michael Jackson made “Heal the World.” He could do that because he was golden. He was himself. He didn’t have to try to be cool. Think about a lot of your favorite bands or groups. Would they make a song called “Heal the World”? No, because they are too concerned about their leather jackets. Ironically, they are probably wearing leather jackets because of Michael Jackson."
— Kanye West

He did release plenty of songs that are considered "uncool" and not typical in pop/rock music: Childhood, Little Susie, Speechless, You Are My Life, The Lost Children, Heal The World etc, so I'm with Matty, I don't think he cared. Seeing Voices was basically a favour to Sidney Fine, so I don't think it was in MJ's hands whether to release it or not.

I'm saying that the fact that seeing voices exists cannot be used a reason to show MJ didn't care about being 'uncool' seeing as it wasn't available for the public. I'm not saying he cared, im saying that song cannot be used a reason. Wow, MJ had 6 uncool songs that you've listed, Prince has a dozen 'uncool' albums what is your point? Do you accept they are both uncool?

Heard this months ago and have been waiting and waiting for it to leak so I can discuss it. Such a beautiful song, the choices he makes while singing are part of what set him apart from every other artist, just awesome.

I'm saying that the fact that seeing voices exists cannot be used a reason to show MJ didn't care about being 'uncool' seeing as it wasn't available for the public. I'm not saying he cared, im saying that song cannot be used a reason. Wow, MJ had 6 uncool songs that you've listed, Prince has a dozen 'uncool' albums what is your point? Do you accept they are both uncool?

I could not care less how many "uncool" albums Prince had. In my mind not everything is an MJ vs. Prince competition.

MattyJam;4101032 said:
I
It kind of reminds me of when Bjork recorded It's Oh So Quiet. People who knew little about her at the time either assumed she was batshit crazy or that she was doing it in a jocular way, but she actually loves those old MGM musicals and was completely serious. I admire people like that and they are very far and few between in this industry.

Not to mention when Björk picked her favourite song on a TV show.

[video=youtube;um-kOw2oT0s]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=um-kOw2oT0s[/video]

I don't see the comparison between those Prince songs and Seeing Voices. If anything, the Prince songs you listed would be considered edgy and experimental, which is the very definition of "cool." Without wanting to turn this into a discussion about Prince, the only song I can think of where he dips his toe into a genre considered old-fashioned or passe is "Courtin Time" and even that is done in a sort of tongue-in-cheek, retro way. MJ delivers Seeing Voices as if it was recorded in 1936, he's not trying to be retro or ironic, he's not trying to be clever, it's coming from a place of genuine love and respect for that style of music.

It kind of reminds me of when Bjork recorded It's Oh So Quiet. People who knew little about her at the time either assumed she was batshit crazy or that she was doing it in a jocular way, but she actually loves those old MGM musicals and was completely serious. I admire people like that and they are very far and few between in this industry.

Wait I don't understand I wouldn't call those edgy and experimental album tracks 'cool' if they are completely unknown to a mainstream listener. I associate 'cool' with trendy. What is your idea of cool? If its the opposite of edgy and experimental... isnt it just a normal song? Isn't Seeing Voices 'cool' by your own reasoning if its experimenting with an old genre of music in a comparably modern decade 40+ years later, isn't that being experimental in the present? So when someone calls a song like 'Heal the World' as an example of MJ uncaring of what is cool are you saying those are neither edgy and experimental? If it is neither of those two factors where does it leave it as interesting song? The idea of a charity anthem had been done previously. The idea of a song being 'uncool' is seemingly vague.

It's interesting that Sidney Fine was married to Rose Fine, who was Michael's tutor, when he was younger. Michael talked about Rose and her husband and their son who died, in the Shmuley tapes.

"I always felt so bad for her (Rose) because her son suffered so badly. He was a doctor who died early and the day he died, I remember how deeply dark and sad she was. He was a wonderful doctor, went to Harvard, and he was tall and handsome. He had some kind of brain tumor. I can't imagine losing your own child like that, let alone losing any child."

Also, Michael talks about paying for Rose Fine's care and her husband's, Sidney, paid their hospital bills and anything they needed. It is a fine thing that Michael had Sidney compose this song about deafness, before he died.

https://books.google.com/books?id=A...e&q=shmuley michael jackson rose fine&f=false

[video=youtube;3YfOdQW0Dxc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YfOdQW0Dxc[/video]​
Around 35:23 you will see Michael hug his former tutor in 1989.

Fine’s last work was a song recorded in 1999 by Michael Jackson (but still unreleased) entitled “Seeing Voices.” Jackson had been a student of Fine’s wife; the song celebrates signing for the deaf and was a tribute to Fine’s son, Peter, who died in 1975 of a rare brain disease that had caused him to lose his hearing.

Fine’s wife of 74 years, the former Rose Mishkin, died in June 2000.
http://variety.com/2002/scene/people-news/sidney-fine-1117867684/

Tried to get back into this one - nothing. Very dull in every sense.

^^We know you didn't the song and I have no problem with that because I'm aware not all the people have the same likes in general but you sound like a broken record already Always There and it's boring.

^^We know you didn't the song and I have no problem with that because I'm aware not all the people have the same likes in general but you sound like a broken record already Always There and it's boring.

Go take a look in the Don't Walk Away thread. Tons of people pointing out their dislike for that song on multiple occasions.

I've made two comments in this thread. Two.

When the original Ghosts, (Is This Scary) Seeing Voices snippets were leaked for the first time, you made more posts how you didn't like it. That's what I meant we already knew.

As this song recently leaked after a long waiting and teasing, what do you think about it?

IMO, it resembles "Smile", both have '30s/'40s sounds and are very orchestral, showing the soft and fragile MJ's voice.
I've been a Moonwalker since 2003. Im 28 now {and the MJ love is still going strong!} I've only just discovered this enchanting masterpiece a week ago! How this song managed to slip by me 'til now, who knows... But it is in my opinion one of his most beautiful works. Lyrically, vocally and composition wise. I know Michael wanted to put together a classical style album someday and this I believe was the real start of that. It really sucks that he was unable to get further in the process. But this glimpse into his classical vision, along with a beautify written message, has brought me to a higher level of admiration, appreciation and respect for all that is, was, and forever will be Michael Joseph Jackson.
As this song recently leaked after a long waiting and teasing, what do you think about it?

IMO, it resembles "Smile", both have '30s/'40s sounds and are very orchestral, showing the soft and fragile MJ's voice.

I love it! I'm really hoping for an official release someday... I also wish he would have done more songs like this, idk, stripped-down/acoustic Michael has got to be one of my favourites!

Back