Should Michael Do A One Hour TV Special?

I think it's criminal that he hasn't done some type of Unplugged/Acoustic set. It's the one piece missing from his gigantic puzzle.

Agree. I can't remember where, but I know in one interview he said he sometimes would like to try different things with his songs and dancing but he thought fans wanted him to keep to the script. During an unplugged/acoustic set he could easily switch things up and give us a different take on songs we already know and love. Look at what Chis (I forget his last name right now) did with Billie Jean. Who knows if MJ wanted to do a version like that himself but was afraid of fans not liking the change.

We've seen televised concerts before as well. I am really interesting to hear him speak. I want an interview. I think most everyone also wants him to do an interview. If he can come off sane and normal and even show a sense of humour I think his popularity could soar. I think a television special where he performs and does short interview segments (not relating to his personal life at all, solely focused on his music) would be the best way to go.

He did this with the Oprah interview and came across very sane and normal. And there was a resurgence of popularity. It's not impossible when it's done correctly and with good intentions. But I agree the too-personal stuff should be avoided. If he sticks to the subject of creativity and music-related things like the Ebony 2007 interview, he should be fine. I just think ppl have to come up with better and more interesting questions to ask him regarding music and whatnot. I rememeber some fans were yawning and complaining over the Ebony 2007 interview...altho hearing him in the audio portions was very cool. Some fresh insight would be nice.

Maybe fans can send in questions beforehand and he can choose which ones are the most interesting and different?

If Michael is to do any of the above, be sure that he will be seeking a great deal of control over the finished product!

The past is there to be learned from.

Ding Ding Ding!!! And who cares what the critics have to say about that. I've seen countless TV specials with Faith Hill and Celine Dion or whoever where everything is kept positive and rosy. If it does get personal, it's nothing earth-shattering. Most TV specials are promotional tools anyway. Why would anyone purposely put together something that portrays them in an iffy way? So yes, total control is mandatory. Otherwise, it's a runaway train in anyone else's hands, imo.

I like your thoughts – I haven’t heard of anything like this before.
ffice:eek:ffice" />

Just been watching all the Jackson TV show stuff on YouTube. A variety show would be a fun way to do it. Comedy skit with say, Beyonce, then a duet or something. It'd be like nothing on TV now. Everyone would clamour to be on it. Pre-recorded, edited well and no interview. Just fun, dance and music. And live vocals. It would be the bomb. God, I wish I was his manager... I'd love it.

I'm glad you liked my ideas!
I'm not sure what happened to the formatting of the post - something to do with copying and pasting from word I think - but I have updated it now, so it should read better.

Just been watching all the Jackson TV show stuff on YouTube. A variety show would be a fun way to do it. Comedy skit with say, Beyonce, then a duet or something. It'd be like nothing on TV now. Everyone would clamour to be on it. Pre-recorded, edited well and no interview. Just fun, dance and music. And live vocals. It would be the bomb. God, I wish I was his manager... I'd love it.

I don't think so! Beyonce, is overrated! In fact, I just read some input from various people about her recent World Music Award performance and the bottom line is they are getting bored with her. It is the same old, same old thing; they know what to expect. Michael has been and will always be in a class by himself. And, we NEVER know what to expect. He is full of surprises and ideas that is unimaginable to us. Also, while watching many of MJ's former performances the one thing that has stood out, imo, is that many of the best ones were when he was ALONE on stage --- no props, no dancers, no elaborate stage settings, just his presence, his voice, and the way he moves immediately holds your attention. In addition, when he does use backup dancers and whatever, one hardly notices them because Michael has a certain chemistry that is electrifying and hypnotizing --- ALL EYES ON HIM---ALWAYS!

I don't think so! Beyonce, is overrated! In fact, I just read some input from various people about her recent World Music Award performance and the bottom line is they are getting bored with her. It is the same old, same old thing; they know what to expect. Michael has been and will always be in a class by himself. And, we NEVER know what to expect. He is full of surprises and ideas that is unimaginable to us. Also, while watching many of MJ's former performances the one thing that has stood out, imo, is that many of the best ones were when he was ALONE on stage --- no props, no dancers, no elaborate stage settings, just his presence, his voice, and the way he moves immediately holds your attention. In addition, when he does use backup dancers and whatever, one hardly notices them because Michael has a certain chemistry that is electrifying and hypnotizing --- ALL EYES ON HIM---ALWAYS!

I think thats a bit unfair. Beyonce id=s one of the very few solo artists today who have any metit in my opinion. She is doing a fantastic job :)

And as for never knowing what to expect from Michael?...well....all im saying is that sometimes watching different concerts from the HIStory tour can be like watching repeats of Friends. All the time. lol.

i dont think Michael should do any more 1 hour specials. Why you say? Well there wouldnt be anything on it that we havent seen before. After the Living with MJ prog I doubt he would do an interview or documentary.

And as for never knowing what to expect from Michael?...well....all im saying is that sometimes watching different concerts from the HIStory tour can be like watching repeats of Friends. All the time. lol.
thats pretty much the same with any artist. most concerts on long tours dont change that much.

I don't think so! Beyonce, is overrated!

My point is not about Beyonce, (he can perform with anyone) but about how a variety format, in the same vein as the old J5 TV shows would work really well...

In the UK, there's a programme "An Audience With..." which would be amazing for Michael to do.

The focus should be on humour, joy, his talent, his voice, some dance. That's the MJ people miss, fans and the general public alike.

If Mike were to do a TV special, I would rather it be the premier of a new short film. Everyone looks forward to those. People can watch them in the privacy of their own homes and you know it will be the number one subject at the water cooler at the office the next day. We can only hope it doesn't cause any controversy like Black Or White did back in the day. Man, that was crazy. I just hope people have grown a little more mature since those days. I think that would be the coolest and Mike doesn't have to say anything, the work will speak for itself. :cheeky:

Ticie,
The JACKSONOLOGIST

In the UK, there's a programme "An Audience With..." which would be amazing for Michael to do.
no way thats soooo cheesy lol an intimate performance special and then prem the new video at the end. its nice to dream lol

i dont think Michael should do any more 1 hour specials. Why you say? Well there wouldnt be anything on it that we havent seen before. After the Living with MJ prog I doubt he would do an interview or documentary.

I personally think an 1 hour special would not be on the same parr as the 'living with.... interview'
as the 1 hour special would be just pure music and not speaking about other issues.....
It would be ace if he was to explain the reasons behind classic hits as well as giving an insight in to new songs
Then preforming a select few from his new material and theres nothing wrong with 1 or 2 of classics, but nothing too over the top just getting back to the roots...
Then prehaps a premier of his new music video or too add to the suspense show it a week later with teaser adverts durring the run up to the premier... bit like they do in the UK on ITV before something like the new X Factor starts if you get me and think that would be ace!
After all you need to give viewers a reason too watch these days what with all the channels that sky and virgin have too offer! and what more than a reason would there to be other than watch a brand new long awaited Michael Jackson video!

This one hour special wouldn't be for interviews... Just performing singing and dancing. The old music with the new music.... I agree, no more interveiws. I would love to see him do a show like a 21st century version of a variety show. But no comedy skectches.

Wasn't Michael supposed to do an hour special back in 95/96 when he collapsed onstage because of deydration or something like that. It was supposed to be called ONE NIGHT ONLY or something? Can someone clarify that?

Yeah, that was supposed to happen but never did, which sucks so much. But he fell very ill. What are you gonna do? Maybe he'll do it someday. I really hope so. People need to see what an unbelieveable talent Michael is.

Nahh it wouldn't work, in my opinion.

After that stupid fucker Martin Bashir fucked up one of Michael's most awaited documentaries and then the one on Ch 4 last year [MJ: What Really Happend], I would find it hard trusting any TV presenter again, to be honest with you. I think that IF he does release a new album, he should reappear on the Oprah Winfrey Show, cause I mean, wasn't the 1993 one in the Guiness World Records for most watched American show other than sport? He should have a second one and I reckon it will be watched by more viewers and it will be more accurate.

Back