Should MJ and Tim Burton have made Alice in Wonderland music video for Invincible?

Should MJ and Tim Burton have made Alice in Wonderland music video for Invincible?

• Total voters

dancemasterman

Proud Member
For several years way before the new Alice in Wonderland movie was being made I had wanted MJ and Tim Burton to get to get together and make an 15 minute to 20 minute Alice in Wonderland short film, with Michael Jackson as the Mad Hatter of course. I thought it would have been perfect for Invincible because it would have really helped get everybody's attention.

I thought it would have been awesome. You use characters from the story as back up dancers. Give the rabbit a somewhat humanoid physiqe so it can be a back up dancer, ect.

You could make Alice be a hot young adult and maybe even hint that she is somewhat romantically attracted to the Mad Hatter.

Tom Petty already did an Alice video for his song "Don't Come Around Here No More" in 1985, and I don't think Mike would want to be accused of copying.

Tom Petty already did an Alice video for his song "Don't Come Around Here No More" in 1985, and I don't think Mike would want to be accused of copying.
well 16 years had passed by then, and technically Tom Petty copied Alice in Wonderland, and Mj would be as well. but all he has to do is make sure it is different from Tom Petty's. Plus MJ could have probably pulled one bad ass Mad Hatter look.

And the dance number with all those characters from the story as back up dancers could have been really awesome.

Plus with MJ's acting ability I think he would have been able to pull off a really unique Mad Hatter. Just don't let it be too predictable and most importantly have really awesome dancing accompanied by really awesome screaming!

That's part of why they should add a little hint of romantic attraction between this young adult Alice and the Mad Hatter. Even if it's just a gaze of affection from Alice after he starts singing. It would help freshen up the film and make it feel new and different from the original Alice in Wonderland story.

Maybe it's not even Alice coming to wonderland this time. Maybe it's just a really hot chick in her mid 20's named Jenny or whatever name sounds good in the song. That's assuming that the lyrics are about the story of the video. The lyrics could possibly just be about the deatils of this fantasty world or a welcome to Wonderland type of song.

did Michael ever say something about Burton's work? I bet he loved his work.

Wasn't he a "Willy Wonka" fan? I could be wrong of course but I thought I remembered something like that.

I am thinking Michael must have LOVED Burton. He'd be the a great "Victor" in the Corpse Bride. :yes: I always pictured Michael having a part in the Corpse Bride. Then I almost fell off my chair when I saw the "dead brides and grooms" in TII.
Somehow Johnny Depp and MJ seem similar to me.

did Michael ever say something about Burton's work? I bet he loved his work.

Here's part of an interview about MJ and the Tim Burton film 'Edward Scissorhands.' :
http://www.viceland.com/blogs/uk-fi...-have-loved-to-have-been-edward-scissorhands/

edwardmichael.jpg

Screenwriter Caroline Thompson’s first produced film was Edward Scissorhands. After that she went on to write The Addams Family, The Nightmare Before Christmas and last year’s City of Ember. She has also directed versions of Black Beauty and Snow White. She now lives on a ranch with lots of animals in Ojai, Caifornia, and makes films for her website, www.smallandcreepy.com. We had a chat with her.
Vice: So you wrote the Michael Jackson movie that never happened?
Caroline Thompson: Yes. Larry Wilson, who I wrote The Addams Family with, and I wrote a film for him. The director was Anton Furst, who was the production designer on Tim Burton’s Batman.
Oh yeah, he killed himself, right?
Yeah. And the last words I said to him were, “Grow up, Anton.” So Jon Peters, who produced Batman, went to be the head of Sony and promised Anton a directing gig there. And Anton naively took the gig but didn’t realise that it meant he couldn’t work with any other studio, so couldn’t work with Tim Burton again, which distressed him. At any rate he threw himself into this project for Michael Jackson, which we called MidKnight. I think the reason we decided to do a story about a knight was that a knight usually wears a helmet mask and we wanted to cover up Michael’s face because we thought a film audience wouldn’t take him seriously as an actor. We ourselves had a hard time taking him seriously as an actor. We had a very long and hilarious day at Neverland with him. It was Anton, our executive Amy Pascal who is now one of the heads at Sony, Larry and myself. There was this bathroom, which was full of paper wrappers and candy wrappers, all kinds of shit. It was really small, surrounded by a concrete wall, and Michael looked at it and said to us, “Isn’t it beautiful? It’s my favourite place where I go to be by myself.” We had nachos for lunch, with cheese melted on top, served to us by these white Midwestern overweight women in brown coffee-shop uniforms with little white aprons and little hats. We met Bubbles, who was in residence at the time, and Anton reached out for Bubbles and Bubbles screamed and ran to the top of the jungle gym, and Michael made Anton crouch on the ground looking at the floor with his head bowed as a way of apologising to Bubbles. And we went to see the zoo. He had these giraffes in this enclosure, and there was this platform Michael walked up to where the giraffes came over to be petted, and the platform was level to their heads, so they’d come over and their eyes were the size of the tables, it was astonishing. But the funniest one was where we went to see his young lion, who was asleep. Michael told us to be very quiet. You know how in zoos there’s the cage the lion’s in, then two or three feet out there’s a little fence that keeps you at distance?
Right.
Well he urged us over the fence, so we were all gathered round staring at the lion asleep, and Michael hollered out and clapped his hands and the lion woke up and sprang at Amy, and she squealed and back-pedaled and fell over the fence and landed flat on her ass, and Michael laughed his head off. I mean, gales of laughter. And he said, “He always goes after the smallest person in the group.” He laughed and laughed and laughed. It was a strange experience. We went to the movie theatre on his ranch, where on either side of the seats towards the back there were glass rooms that had hospital beds in them. I couldn’t tell if that was where Michael liked to sit or if that was for guests. And then, when we finished the script, I got a phone call from Michael. At the time, I thought it was my then-boyfriend Danny Elfman playing a joke on me, so when I heard the voice go: “Hi Caroline, it’s Michael Jackson,” I answered, “Hi Michael!” in this Michael Jackson voice. Then I thought, Oh fuck, and I quickly worked out that it fucking was him, and he realised that I automatically made fun of him, and I don’t have any memory of what he said; I was just blushing and sweating the entire conversation.
Was that the last time you spoke to him?
Yeah.
Did you like him?
Well, I was fascinated by him. He had this little Band-Aid on his cheek, it was really small, and I just kept fantasising that… You know how you blow up a bicycle tyre? I just fantasised that something like that was under there to blow up his face. I was an admirer of him as a child, and as he aged and went on his weirdy journey, I just thought, How can this be a human being? It’s hard for any of us to imagine what it must be like to be someone who can’t go out of their house without being mobbed. He described to us how he would get in disguises and go out into the world, that was one of his greatest joys. I can’t say he made me feel sad, but it was close to that.
Did you talk about films with him?
We didn’t really. Mostly he just took us on his tour and he showed us his ranch.
I would imagine that he would have been an Edward Scissorhands fan.
Oh he was a huge Edward Scissorhands fan; that’s why I was hired for the job. I’m sure he would have loved to have been Edward Scissorhands.
So what happened to the project?
Well we turned it in, and Anton didn’t want to, which is when I said, “Grow up, Anton.” I told him it is what it is and we’ll see what happens. Anton was scared, it was his first movie. He had no idea what shape it should be in to go to the studio. In those days, studios were in the development business, which they’re not really anymore, so things were taken and processed, as it were. But Anton was going to rehab, I guess he was a drunk; you’d go out for dinner with him and he’d look at the menu and he’d go, “I’ll have a brandy!” And evidently, none of us knew he was also a very serious Valium addict. Stanley Kubrick had driven him in despair to finding comfort in Valium and he’d never really gotten off it.

Michael owned the 'Scissorhands' prop from the film.
http://www.toycollectormagazine.com...ection-Edward-Scissorhands-Prop.html&Itemid=1

Last edited:
:huh: What has the Alice in Wonderland concept got to do with Invincible? I'm not sure I follow you. Do you mean Invincible the actual song, or one of the singles from the Invincible album? Sorry if my questions sound stupid. :blush:

Last edited:
Here's part of an interview about MJ and the Tim Burton film 'Edward Scissorhands.' :
http://www.viceland.com/blogs/uk-fi...-have-loved-to-have-been-edward-scissorhands/

edwardmichael.jpg

Screenwriter Caroline Thompson’s first produced film was Edward Scissorhands. After that she went on to write The Addams Family, The Nightmare Before Christmas and last year’s City of Ember. She has also directed versions of Black Beauty and Snow White. She now lives on a ranch with lots of animals in Ojai, Caifornia, and makes films for her website, www.smallandcreepy.com. We had a chat with her.
Caroline Thompson: Yes. Larry Wilson, who I wrote The Addams Family with, and I wrote a film for him. The director was Anton Furst, who was the production designer on Tim Burton’s Batman.
Yeah. And the last words I said to him were, “Grow up, Anton.” So Jon Peters, who produced Batman, went to be the head of Sony and promised Anton a directing gig there. And Anton naively took the gig but didn’t realise that it meant he couldn’t work with any other studio, so couldn’t work with Tim Burton again, which distressed him. At any rate he threw himself into this project for Michael Jackson, which we called MidKnight. I think the reason we decided to do a story about a knight was that a knight usually wears a helmet mask and we wanted to cover up Michael’s face because we thought a film audience wouldn’t take him seriously as an actor. We ourselves had a hard time taking him seriously as an actor. We had a very long and hilarious day at Neverland with him. It was Anton, our executive Amy Pascal who is now one of the heads at Sony, Larry and myself. There was this bathroom, which was full of paper wrappers and candy wrappers, all kinds of shit. It was really small, surrounded by a concrete wall, and Michael looked at it and said to us, “Isn’t it beautiful? It’s my favourite place where I go to be by myself.” We had nachos for lunch, with cheese melted on top, served to us by these white Midwestern overweight women in brown coffee-shop uniforms with little white aprons and little hats. We met Bubbles, who was in residence at the time, and Anton reached out for Bubbles and Bubbles screamed and ran to the top of the jungle gym, and Michael made Anton crouch on the ground looking at the floor with his head bowed as a way of apologising to Bubbles. And we went to see the zoo. He had these giraffes in this enclosure, and there was this platform Michael walked up to where the giraffes came over to be petted, and the platform was level to their heads, so they’d come over and their eyes were the size of the tables, it was astonishing. But the funniest one was where we went to see his young lion, who was asleep. Michael told us to be very quiet. You know how in zoos there’s the cage the lion’s in, then two or three feet out there’s a little fence that keeps you at distance?
Right.
Well he urged us over the fence, so we were all gathered round staring at the lion asleep, and Michael hollered out and clapped his hands and the lion woke up and sprang at Amy, and she squealed and back-pedaled and fell over the fence and landed flat on her ass, and Michael laughed his head off. I mean, gales of laughter. And he said, “He always goes after the smallest person in the group.” He laughed and laughed and laughed. It was a strange experience. We went to the movie theatre on his ranch, where on either side of the seats towards the back there were glass rooms that had hospital beds in them. I couldn’t tell if that was where Michael liked to sit or if that was for guests. And then, when we finished the script, I got a phone call from Michael. At the time, I thought it was my then-boyfriend Danny Elfman playing a joke on me, so when I heard the voice go: “Hi Caroline, it’s Michael Jackson,” I answered, “Hi Michael!” in this Michael Jackson voice. Then I thought, Oh fuck, and I quickly worked out that it fucking was him, and he realised that I automatically made fun of him, and I don’t have any memory of what he said; I was just blushing and sweating the entire conversation.
Yeah.
Did you like him?
Well, I was fascinated by him. He had this little Band-Aid on his cheek, it was really small, and I just kept fantasising that… You know how you blow up a bicycle tyre? I just fantasised that something like that was under there to blow up his face. I was an admirer of him as a child, and as he aged and went on his weirdy journey, I just thought, How can this be a human being? It’s hard for any of us to imagine what it must be like to be someone who can’t go out of their house without being mobbed. He described to us how he would get in disguises and go out into the world, that was one of his greatest joys. I can’t say he made me feel sad, but it was close to that.
We didn’t really. Mostly he just took us on his tour and he showed us his ranch.
Oh he was a huge Edward Scissorhands fan; that’s why I was hired for the job. I’m sure he would have loved to have been Edward Scissorhands.
Well we turned it in, and Anton didn’t want to, which is when I said, “Grow up, Anton.” I told him it is what it is and we’ll see what happens. Anton was scared, it was his first movie. He had no idea what shape it should be in to go to the studio. In those days, studios were in the development business, which they’re not really anymore, so things were taken and processed, as it were. But Anton was going to rehab, I guess he was a drunk; you’d go out for dinner with him and he’d look at the menu and he’d go, “I’ll have a brandy!” And evidently, none of us knew he was also a very serious Valium addict. Stanley Kubrick had driven him in despair to finding comfort in Valium and he’d never really gotten off it.

http://www.toycollectormagazine.com...ection-Edward-Scissorhands-Prop.html&Itemid=1

Thank you Lamb! I always thought Burton must be up his alley. I always imagined he would like Danny Elfman's music. It's fits him.

Depp's Willy Wonka was inspired by MJ, and there are also the Scissorhand references above.

Thank you Lamb! I always thought Burton must be up his alley. I always imagined he would like Danny Elfman's music. It's fits him.

[/QUOTE]

You're welcome, M A, and thank you for posting the ES music. It's beautiful.
I loved Johnny in it...but MJ...well, he'd have been great.

Dang, now I'm all MJ sad. I'm off to cry.

Last edited:
I also would have loved for Burton to have worked with Michael on something, maybe one his short films. He's my other creative hero! Did you know he and Michael were born the same year, same month, 4 days apart? They have always seemed cut from the same cloth to me in their genius, refusal to conform, and different deeper ways of seeing the world, I love it!!!!!! BTW Michael even had the prop scissorhands as seen in the Julien's auction display. For some reason I can't get the link to display the picture here but heres a link http://abcnews.go.com/widgets/mediaViewer/image?id=6898603
How cool that my favorite singer, Director, and movie are all connected. He also loved Phantom of The Opera, my favorite musical. Miss you so much Michael!

Last edited:
I LOOOOVVVVVEEE TIM BURTON!

Not sure how he'd match with Invincible though..?

edwardmichael.jpg

Right.
Yeah.
Did you like him?

Interesting. Thanks for posting,

That would have been sweet. Gwen Stefani also did "Watcha Waiting For?" video that was like an Alice In Wonderland concept.

I recall reading something a long while ago, that if there was ever a movie about MJ, Depp wanted to play his part. I can't remember where I read it tho.:scratch:

Yea Tim Burton and MJ music video... that would have been FANTASTIC!!!:bugeyed

I never knew Michael loved Tim's work! Tim Burton is awesome and I'm a fan of his projects!!! I bet his favorite Burton movie was Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

I never knew Michael loved Tim's work! Tim Burton is awesome and I'm a fan of his projects!!! I bet his favorite Burton movie was Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

I wonder if he loved the "Corpse Bride"- in TII they had "dead brides and grooms" that were supposed to be flown through the audience during Thriller....Makes me wonder...
I loooooove the Corpse Bride Soundtrack, I adore Danny Elfman!

Back