Spike Lee announces Off The Wall Documentary - Estate Announcement Page 66

Re: Spike Lee announces Off The Wall Documentary

OnirMJ, just so I understand, you are saying Temperton's verse in BOJ was removed on the Michael cd, correct? I thought Thriller was sung in full in TII but, I do not remember. I would have to review that section of the film.

Yes, Best Of Joy has unreleased 3rd verse written by Rod Temperton and recorded by Michael Jackson in 2008.

He allowed Thriller to be used in the movie but after hard negotiating and a lot of money paid to him.

The tours Michael did with his brothers grew as they grew. They became increasingly better musically, artistically, entertainment-wise, everything one can imagine! I am hoping the Estate/Sony would release a ultimate live collection of full concert performances from each era of Michael's career starting from J5. With accompanying booklets and complete live cds (in stellar video quality I might add), it would be the ultimate collection for any fan to own.

That would be incredible, what a wonderful celebration of his on stage genius! i hope they do something like this in the future, Michael is the greatest live entertainer of all time... something like this needs to happen. But, alas.. they can't be trusted with much to be fair.

OnirMJ, thanks for the clarification.

Thriller belongs to Temperton. Regardless of what one may believe is a high, unreasonable request, it is his to make and for the Estate/Sony to reject. TII was quite profitable so there may have been some reasoning on Temperton's part.

That would be incredible, what a wonderful celebration of his on stage genius! i hope they do something like this in the future, Michael is the greatest live entertainer of all time... something like this needs to happen. But, alas.. they can't be trusted with much to be fair.

I repeat the request in as many threads as I can without being considered off-topic as there are lurkers from the Estate/Sony on MJ forums. There are not many Estate/Sony projects remaining and I do hope they are leaving the best for last. An ultimate live collection is the best in my view.

I repeat the request in as many threads as I can without being considered off-topic as there are lurkers from the Estate/Sony on MJ forums. There are not many Estate/Sony projects remaining and I do hope they are leaving the best for last. An ultimate live collection is the best in my view.

The most important musical release of all time in my opinion, his wonderment attracted royalty around the world! it's integral to Michael's career, I am anticipating such a release with a very large volume of the previously mentioned performances. Marathon of Michael in high def, doing what he did best! nothing would top it.

Just to add, Motown owns concert and performance footage and rights for Jackson 5 tours, not Sony or MJ Estate. I would love if Motown decide to release one of their tours or concerts on blu-ray.

Just to add, Motown owns concert and performance footage and rights for Jackson 5 tours, not Sony or MJ Estate. I would love if Motown decide to release one of their tours or concerts on blu-ray.

This is why there should be a collectors label, joint connections with Universal/Motown/Warner Bros. etc.! then EVERYTHING can be released would be nice to make a collectors label out of MJJProductions Inc.!

This is why there should be a collectors label, joint connections with Universal/Motown/Warner Bros. etc.! then EVERYTHING can be released would be nice to make a collectors label out of MJJProductions Inc.!

I agree what every they do it need to be big.

He allowed Thriller to be used in the movie but after hard negotiating and a lot of money paid to him.
I know this is a little bit off topic-since the discussion is about the people who should and should not be in the OTW doc and why-but does Rod own his own songwriting catalog? I take it from this, that he does. And does not use a publishing company like Sony or Warner for distribution rights?

Motown is owned by EMI which is with Sony/ATV now so a deal could happen. Plus, we only need one J5 concert for the live collection to be complete. Jacksons are under Sony's domain.

Yes, Best Of Joy has unreleased 3rd verse written by Rod Temperton and recorded by Michael Jackson in 2008.

I do not understand the Thriller -thing. Michael was allowed to sing Thriller when ever he wants, right? He didn`t need permission from Temperton to sing it on the TII-Tour or in a televison-show. It was his song as a singer, he made the song famous. He had only the duty to give him royalities for his songwriting. Thriller is alos part of the Immortal or One-Show and I do not think the Estate had to negoiate with Termperton to use the song.

I know this is a little bit off topic-since the discussion is about the people who should and should not be in the OTW doc and why-but does Rod own his own songwriting catalog? I take it from this, that he does. And does not use a publishing company like Sony or Warner for distribution rights?

One thing is owning a catalog (like MJ owns Mijac and ATV) and another thing is distribution rights (Sony has distribution rights for MJ's catalog). I believe that Rod owns the songs that he had written, don't know who owns distribution rights for the songs he wrote for MJ. Probably Sony did while MJ was under their contract.

But MJ's deal with Sony was over when he delivered The Ultimate Collection in 2004. After that he had no long term contract with Sony or any other record company. Essential, Visionary, Thriller 25 & King Of Pop were all released as standalone projects, each album had its own contract. So when MJ died Sony couldn't release anything. That's why This Is It soundtrack became part of 10 projects deal retroactively and that's why Sony Pictures had to pay the Estate $50 million for the film rights.

Don't know how that worked with Rod Temperton, but obviously they had to get his permission to use his song in a movie (it was a movie, it wasn't a greatest hits compilation or re-release of Thriller) like they had to get from all other writers. I guess it's not the same to use a song on an album release and in a movie. Also Sony Pictures and Sony Music are 2 different companies.

I do not understand the Thriller -thing. Michael was allowed to sing Thriller when ever he wants, right? He didn`t need permission from Temperton to sing it on the TII-Tour or in a televison-show. It was his song as a singer, he made the song famous. He had only the duty to give him royalities for his songwriting. Thriller is alos part of the Immortal or One-Show and I do not think the Estate had to negoiate with Termperton to use the song.

You can sing (perform) the song whenever and wherever you want. Releasing it is another thing. If Estate decides to publicly release Immortal or One on DVD/blu-ray they will have to ask Rod's permission. Also everything I said in previous post.

Don't know how that worked with Rod Temperton, but obviously they had to get his permission to use his song in a movie (it was a movie, it wasn't a greatest hits compilation or re-release of Thriller) like they had to get from all other writers. I guess it's not the same to use a song on an album release and in a movie. Also Sony Pictures and Sony Music are 2 different companies.
OK, thanks Onir-I figured somebody like Rod would own the rights to his own music, since his songs with Heatwave became really big when people were realizing how important ownership was.
And I can understand why he wouldn't give permission without a hefty fee for a brand new unheard verse on a song.
It was just throwing me about having "Thriller" included in the movie and soundtrack-because it's usually done through the publishing company. OK-I'm a little less confused. :)

Edit....................

B-Iw50gCUAEm9Pe.jpg:large

So what's the occasion for this doc? I love OTW, but this seems more suited for an aniversary release.

When do you think this will be released?

Hope they make it a proper release this time. - BAD25 doc was only available on MJ.com right ? - It was not in stores around the world...

Also - no subtitles on BAD25 what so ever. - Some fans do not speak english or understand it - they might not wanna buy when there are no subtitles... - Seems stupid.

Also - there was no extra material was there?

The BAD25 doc was officially released by SONY and The Estate right ?- And so will this I guess. - Hope for more extra material and maybe 30 min longer so more stories about the songs can be told.

^^ Subtitles are more important for the deaf, Michael has a lot of deaf fans (i am sure) they deserve to witness what he is saying. I don't care for the interviews, except the integral people who worked on the album. I'm only interested in unreleased footage & audio. Triumph Tour in High def, some behind the scenes.. but not just snippets (as they're just beyond teasing).

When do you think this will be released?

It was rumored for this year.

Nice. That would be great. - I thought it was for next year. Hope it comes this year. :)

This is NOT one of the 10 SONY projects I guess, right?

Nice. That would be great. - I thought it was for next year. Hope it comes this year. :)

This is NOT one of the 10 SONY projects I guess, right?

Supposedly History is 2016. I believe this is part of the ten projects.

Supposedly History is 2016. I believe this is part of the ten projects.

Obviously while nothing has been confirmed since it's only 2015, it'd make a lot more sense to do something Dangerous related since 2016 is it's 25th Anniversary.

Obviously while nothing has been confirmed since it's only 2015, it'd make a lot more sense to do something Dangerous related since 2016 is it's 25th Anniversary.

Indeed, and the fact they have been working on digitizing everything in the archive since 2012 at the earliest.. i hope to see a Dangerous Tour Blu-Ray: Montage or single concert.. if it exists of course

''Off The Wall Documentary Update:- Revealed other persons participating in the documentary, being produced by filmmaker Spike Lee. Among them; the actor Sydney Colston, keyboardist Greg Phillinganes, Sussaye Greene & composer of the song 'I Can't Help It' along with Stevie Wonder and drummer Jonathan Moffett. Stay tuned! We will have new information on the Documentary: OFF THE WALL any time at MJ Beats''

(function(d, s, id) { var js, fjs = d.getElementsByTagName(s)[0]; if (d.getElementById(id)) return; js = d.createElement(s); js.id = id; js.src = "//connect.facebook.net/en_US/all.js#xfbml=1"; fjs.parentNode.insertBefore(js, fjs);}(document, 'script', 'facebook-jssdk'));Post by Michael Jackson Brasil.

Agree however; that is the information as told by the above MJ Brazil FB page.

I don't understand why SONY will release this as one of the 10 projects. - Surely not many money can be earned from this. - Especially not if they release it only on MJ.com like they did with BAD25...

If they made some kind of OTW anniversary like BAD25 and project as a whole was countet as one it would make sense - but to only release OTW doc - no money to SONY and seems like a waste of a project for them really.

I don't understand why SONY will release this as one of the 10 projects. - Surely not many money can be earned from this. - Especially not if they release it only on MJ.com like they did with BAD25...

If they made some kind of OTW anniversary like BAD25 and project as a whole was countet as one it would make sense - but to only release OTW doc - no money to SONY and seems like a waste of a project for them really.

I agree with you, but maybe.. just maybe they will release the Triumph Tour to promote the documentary for when it airs on TV and is released in stores around the world and on Amazon.. that would be a very good idea.. can't deal with what we currently know right now though

Back