Spike Lee announces Off The Wall Documentary - Estate Announcement Page 66

OnirMJ;4076270 said:
Don't know how that worked with Rod Temperton, but obviously they had to get his permission to use his song in a movie (it was a movie, it wasn't a greatest hits compilation or re-release of Thriller) like they had to get from all other writers. I guess it's not the same to use a song on an album release and in a movie. Also Sony Pictures and Sony Music are 2 different companies.

OnirMJ;4076272 said:
You can sing (perform) the song whenever and wherever you want. Releasing it is another thing. If Estate decides to publicly release Immortal or One on DVD/blu-ray they will have to ask Rod's permission. Also everything I said in previous post.

From the Sony leaked emails, it was discussed that there were songs Michael did not sing live. In some cases, the master recording was used and/or ad-libs were used. Could this be the case for Thriller and why Temperton requested more monies?

From Sony's statement at the time:
In order to fulfil Michael’s vision for his fans and his children… the film-makers had to incorporate some pre-existing materials, including vocals, where the rehearsal footage audio was incomplete and/or inaudible.

In addition, usage of master recordings (such as Earth Song) was credited in the end titles.

Re: Spike Lee announces Off The Wall Documentary

I agree with you, but maybe.. just maybe they will release the Triumph Tour to promote the documentary for when it airs on TV and is released in stores around the world and on Amazon.. that would be a very good idea.. can't deal with what we currently know right now though

That is what i want to have in the bold.

I would give anything to have the Triumph tour.
Who is Sydney Colston? All I could find is he's an actor and born and raised in Gary.

I would give anything to have the Triumph tour.

Moffett was on the Triumph Tour.. would be nice to see him speaking about it and how he first got involved with Michael & The Jackson's...

''Off The Wall Documentary Update:- Revealed other persons participating in the documentary, being produced by filmmaker Spike Lee. Among them; the actor Sydney Colston, keyboardist Greg Phillinganes, Sussaye Greene & composer of the song 'I Can't Help It' along with Stevie Wonder and drummer Jonathan Moffett. Stay tuned! We will have new information on the Documentary: OFF THE WALL any time at MJ Beats''

(function(d, s, id) { var js, fjs = d.getElementsByTagName(s)[0]; if (d.getElementById(id)) return; js = d.createElement(s); js.id = id; js.src = "//connect.facebook.net/en_US/all.js#xfbml=1"; fjs.parentNode.insertBefore(js, fjs);}(document, 'script', 'facebook-jssdk'));Post by Michael Jackson Brasil.

Greg Phillinganes, Sussaye Greene, Stevie Wonder and Jonathan Moffett. Nice!

From the Sony leaked emails, it was discussed that there were songs Michael did not sing live. In some cases, the master recording was used and/or ad-libs were used. Could this be the case for Thriller and why Temperton requested more monies?

That may be the reason why they needed his consent.

From Sony's statement at the time:

Which E-Mails. Can you post it?

Last edited:

Which E-Mails. Can you post it?

There is no need to detour. You know 3 loudest "I hate estate/Sony conspiracists"? Its twitter account for one of them.
Be careful when reading his posts as they are spiced up with loads of the usual ....

If you need more info, send pm to me.

Bubs, Sony executives authored those emails. Do not fear anyone reading those emails and deciphering them for themselves without the spin from either side.

Bubs, Sony executives authored those emails. Do not fear anyone reading those emails and deciphering them for themselves without the spin from either side.

Exactly. People should think with their own heads and not be gullible and just blindly believe in everything Karen Faye or some other hater tell them to do on twitter. I read them and there's nothing groundbreaking or earth shaking in them. It's important to think with your own head and have your own opinion.

OnirMJ, indeed. I am unsure which of the emails you read however; they have a negative connotation towards others, not specifically Michael. They are not being discussed publicly by some for that reason. I agree they are not particular earth shattering but they are interesting.

Exactly. People should think with their own heads and not be gullible and just blindly believe in everything Karen Faye or some other hater tell them to do on twitter. I read them and there's nothing groundbreaking or earth shaking in them. It's important to think with your own head and have your own opinion.

i LOVE coming across those guys tweets. They are absolutely bewildered people....

There is no need to detour. You know 3 loudest "I hate estate/Sony conspiracists"? Its twitter account for one of them.
Be careful when reading his posts as they are spiced up with loads of the usual ....

If you need more info, send pm to me.

Yes I know and btw Tyggers leaked E-Mails are not existing. She postet in two thread about it but never are able to post them in the thread.

Yes I know and btw Tyggers leaked E-Mails are not existing. She postet in two thread about it but never are able to post them in the thread.

That's because it seems Tygger can't handle twitter. There's always twitter mentioned and "click & scroll" ..
But there's nothing to find.

I said that sometime ago in another thread. To me it seems as Tygger is constantly arguing, maybe even only for the sake of arguing...

How utterly ridiculous and embarrassing both of your posts are! If the emails did not exist, how did Respect post a link to one describing Xscape with $29M in revenue?

Many in the online community are aware of the recent links posted on Twitter. It is up to each online forum to decide if they will be discussed openly or not. That is a decision for moderators at MJJC to decide because of the nature if those emails.

''Off The Wall Documentary Update:- Revealed other persons participating in the documentary, being produced by filmmaker Spike Lee. Among them; the actor Sydney Colston, keyboardist Greg Phillinganes, Sussaye Greene & composer of the song 'I Can't Help It' along with Stevie Wonder and drummer Jonathan Moffett. Stay tuned! We will have new information on the Documentary: OFF THE WALL any time at MJ Beats''

(function(d, s, id) { var js, fjs = d.getElementsByTagName(s)[0]; if (d.getElementById(id)) return; js = d.createElement(s); js.id = id; js.src = "//connect.facebook.net/en_US/all.js#xfbml=1"; fjs.parentNode.insertBefore(js, fjs);}(document, 'script', 'facebook-jssdk'));Post by Michael Jackson Brasil.

This is looking good please keep us updated.

I hope there will be no other interviews of ppls who have nothing to do with OTW please and some footage of Michael in the studio working on OTW if there is some that would be awesome to see.

I never cared for Will.I.Am's music, so I'm not having my hopes high about his tracks. Anyway, Will.I.Am has nothing to do with Spike Lee's OTW documentary.

I wouldn't dismiss him so easily. Remember that he wrote this great song for John Legend, so there's a little hope after all lol

[youtube]PIh07c_P4hc[/youtube]

Last edited:

Yeah, maybe. I don't buy that "we couldn't find the multitracks" bulls**t. It is the only song that Rod wrote for Bad album and the last song he wrote for MJ before writing a verse for Best Of Joy.

For sure

I need "she's out of my life" remix featuring pit bull in my life.

I need the 'going to rio' remix which by the sound of the name could potentially be a smash hit.

I would like to hear the original demo of Susie from 1979.. if it genuinely exists of course

One thing is owning a catalog (like MJ owns Mijac and ATV) and another thing is distribution rights (Sony has distribution rights for MJ's catalog). I believe that Rod owns the songs that he had written, don't know who owns distribution rights for the songs he wrote for MJ. Probably Sony did while MJ was under their contract.

But MJ's deal with Sony was over when he delivered The Ultimate Collection in 2004. After that he had no long term contract with Sony or any other record company. Essential, Visionary, Thriller 25 & King Of Pop were all released as standalone projects, each album had its own contract. So when MJ died Sony couldn't release anything. That's why This Is It soundtrack became part of 10 projects deal retroactively and that's why Sony Pictures had to pay the Estate $50 million for the film rights.

Don't know how that worked with Rod Temperton, but obviously they had to get his permission to use his song in a movie (it was a movie, it wasn't a greatest hits compilation or re-release of Thriller) like they had to get from all other writers. I guess it's not the same to use a song on an album release and in a movie. Also Sony Pictures and Sony Music are 2 different companies.

OnirMJ, I read this when posting information for the History Tour theatrical release thread. Thought it may be of interest to you.

Erk explained business management, paying bills, intellectual property. A master recording is when artist records track in studio, Erk said. Songwriter completes a song, Erk said. A self-published individual will write notes and lyrics, sends to copyright office in Washington D.C. Use license exists whether it is artist on internet who is not signed by a record label or record company, Erk explained. Royalty calculations have not change, he said, only distribution. Technology advances have changed the industry, Erk testified. Erk: For artist to release song must go to publisher of songwriter or major publishing company to exploit this particular songwriter's song. The publisher gets 50 cents for every song and artist gets 50 cents, Erk said. He explained the formula radio stations use to calculate and collect over the air royaltiesIn a Print, Folio (printed song material) a songwriter gets 10% of price, Erk testified. In Film, there's synchronization license to get the right to hear the song in the film. It requires a worldwide license. Used to be songwriter gives up right and becomes a member of staff, Erk explained. As Business evolved, biz managers became more savvy, writers wouldn't give up 100% of copyright, would sell 50% still get co-publishing deal

Yes, Best Of Joy has unreleased 3rd verse written by Rod Temperton and recorded by Michael Jackson in 2008.

He allowed Thriller to be used in the movie but after hard negotiating and a lot of money paid to him.

That's probably the exact reason Groove Of Midnight wasn't included on Bad 25. I wonder in there's unreleased music from OTW that won't be included due to Rod's asking price.

https://twitter.com/SpikeLee

Today I Had A True Great Honor To Interview The Legendary Songwriters And Producers Mr. Leon Huff And Kenny Gamble. If You Do Not Know Who They Are You Better Ask Somebody Or GOGGLE. I Betcha Y'Know Their Songs THO.https://instagram.com/p/0nsHRQSqsf/
This might be a good sign that they'll discuss the Jacksons work before and after OTW. Which might mean tour clips. Goody.

https://twitter.com/SpikeLee

Today I Had A True Great Honor To Interview The Legendary Songwriters And Producers Mr. Leon Huff And Kenny Gamble. If You Do Not Know Who They Are You Better Ask Somebody Or GOGGLE. I Betcha Y'Know Their Songs THO.https://instagram.com/p/0nsHRQSqsf/

Nothing to do with OTW, but nice! I love those 2. Heaven Knows I Love You, Girl, Man of War & Find Me a Girl are some of my favourite Jacksons tracks.

Back