Spike Lee announces Off The Wall Documentary - Estate Announcement Page 66

ChrisC;4119770 said:
Anyone else irked by the mention of focus on his work ethic?
I'm not. I spent too many years where people acted like he was from another planet, or he spent all of his time on carousels-rather than the fact he spent 95% of his time working.

What am I missing?

ChrisC;4119770 said:
Anyone else irked by the mention of focus on his work ethic?

I'm not irked about it too IF its NOT seen in a NEGATIVE kind of way.
It would be GOOD to show the world what a hardworking man he was full of passion and fire cause most of the time they only focus on the negative cause that is what sells and gives viewers in their opinion so it would be nice to see a Docu where Michael is portraited as a hardworking passionate artist for once.

Would love to see the 'creative' process of how an album/ video is created as we tend to only see the finished product, right?

Re: Spike Lee announces Off The Wall Documentary

Found the interview where Spike mentions trilogy

Snippet from Spike's recent interview:

What's next for you?

We were working overtime [on Chi-raq]. On the side, I'm finishing a documentary on the making of Michael Jackson's Off the Wall album, for the Michael Jackson estate and Sony Records. I already did Bad 25, and hopefully the estate will ask me to come back and do Thriller, and then I'll complete the trilogy.

Full interview here:
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...-why-he-838660

I believe there isn't going to be trilogy of OTW, but he meant Bad25, OTW and possible Thriller is the estate asks him.
I personally wouldn't mind if he makes musimentary all of Michael's albums:yes:

Back to topic, I assume we'll get to see this OTW musimentary early next year?

^^I would like to see him do Dangerous thru Invincible since it was mature and serious-as are Spikes films. And he was involved in TDCAU.
Usually at these film festivals-companies bid on the distribution rights. Like ABC bought Bad25.

I just hope no unwatchable damaged VHS clips, no Kanye West, no Bieber, no Chris Brown (unless he has something relevant to say) and no questions "where were you when MJ died". Those things ruined Bad 25 for me.

The title sounds promising and I also hope Destiny & Triumph albums will be discussed. Also other albums from Jacksons era.

They said something about legacy and influence today so I assume there will be some current artist interviews again.

MoeJack;4119698 said:
Honestly the part that caught my intention the most was a TRILOGY OF DOCUMENTARIES :D!! I sure hope Dangerous is one of them!

I think he means the Quincy trilogy, OTW, Thriller & Bad.

They said something about legacy and influence today so I assume there will be some current artist interviews again.

That is absolutely fine with me. But choose the artists that have something relevant and interesting to say and if they don't cut them out! What Kanye, Bieber, Chris Brown & Cee-Lo provided for Bad 25? Except annoying comments. But interviewing artists like Justin Timberlake, Timbaland, Pharrell Williams is fine by me.

(I have nothing against Chris Brown but he did not contribute with anything to Bad 25 documentary). Kanye looked like he didn't want to be there and Bieber is annoying as hell to almost every single person on Earth.

I just hope no unwatchable damaged VHS clips, no Kanye West, no Bieber, no Chris Brown (unless he has something relevant to say) and no questions "where were you when MJ died". Those things ruined Bad 25 for me.

The title sounds promising and I also hope Destiny & Triumph albums will be discussed. Also other albums from Jacksons era.

Really? Showing the influence of the album for a total screen time of what 5 minutes RUINED the documentary?! Seriously?! It was a testament to Michael's ability to create timeless music. We still got the backstory, we still got the clips.. although I do agree on the death bit. Not needed.

Sounds really cool!! I would love it if Spike done a documentary on Dangerous, but I'd be happy with Off The Wall then Thriller.

Really? Showing the influence of the album for a total screen time of what 5 minutes RUINED the documentary?! Seriously?! It was a testament to Michael's ability to create timeless music. We still got the backstory, we still got the clips.. although I do agree on the death bit. Not needed.

Sadly, yes. It could have been much better. And it's not 5 minutes of screen time. It's more like 10-15 minutes. Kanye speaks few times (although few times he says some good stuff), Chris Brown, Justin Bieber and Cee-Lo talks about nonsense for few minutes. Then you have at least last 5 minutes of death questions completely unrelated to Bad album. Then you have unwatchable damaged VHS performance of Man In The Mirror that lasts another 5-7 minutes. Also from that source are IJCSLY clips earlier, also unwatchable for me. If he could have only used IJCSLY clips from Yokohama and Man In The Mirror from Moonwalker. That would have been awesome and much much better, but I guess he had to promote Wembley VHS/DVD. Sadly.

I agree there were too many talking heads that didn't something relevant to the album to say. The so called experts/music critics Spike interviewed have bashed Michael's work and his persona since Bad or Dangerous and didn't let the man himself to speak, those talking heads did it for him. It wasn't a bad docu but it wasn't great either, it could have been better.

I'm hoping this new one improved those matters.

Found the interview where Spike mentions trilogy

Snippet from Spike's recent interview:

What's next for you?

We were working overtime [on Chi-raq]. On the side, I'm finishing a documentary on the making of Michael Jackson's Off the Wall album, for the Michael Jackson estate and Sony Records. I already did Bad 25, and hopefully the estate will ask me to come back and do Thriller, and then I'll complete the trilogy.

Full interview here:
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...-why-he-838660

I believe there isn't going to be trilogy of OTW, but he meant Bad25, OTW and possible Thriller is the estate asks him.
I personally wouldn't mind if he makes musimentary all of Michael's albums:yes:

That's what I was thinking at first, but what threw me off was that the article said this documentary would be the First of a planned trilogy. Perhaps they may have gotten it wrong. Either way, I really hope there is some heavy promotion for the 25th anniversary of Dangerous.

Sadly, yes. It could have been much better. And it's not 5 minutes of screen time. It's more like 10-15 minutes. Kanye speaks few times (although few times he says some good stuff), Chris Brown, Justin Bieber and Cee-Lo talks about nonsense for few minutes. Then you have at least last 5 minutes of death questions completely unrelated to Bad album. Then you have unwatchable damaged VHS performance of Man In The Mirror that lasts another 5-7 minutes. Also from that source are IJCSLY clips earlier, also unwatchable for me.
Unwatchable?!? What are you guys watching it on?? I had no problems watching it on my tv or my computer and I have had a serious case of glaucoma since I was in my 20's.

I liked CB and Kanye-they both acted delighted and honored to be a part of it. And if that gets kids to watch and discover Michael, bring it on.

I also hope Spike considers post Quincy. He's a well known and respected spokesperson for social/racial issues and his input could be invaluable.

Where can I get tickets to the festival? Is it showing everyday?

respect77;4119795 said:
Why does it irk you?

I've talked about Bad 25 before on here and I really don't want to get into another debate about it. But all too often in these documentaries Michael is portrayed as having good collaborators that inevitably attempt to take credit for well, everything. If you watched Bad 25 you'd come away thinking that Michael really just showed up and sang with a concillatory 'oh yeah but he worked hard, such a great work ethic'.

I have no problem with Michael being portrayed as extremely determined and ambitious but that's after the talent. No matter how hard Michael worked he wouldn't have got anywhere without his 'god-given' talents, in abundance.

ChrisC;4119999 said:
I've talked about Bad 25 before on here and I really don't want to get into another debate about it. But all too often in these documentaries Michael is portrayed as having good collaborators that inevitably attempt to take credit for well, everything. If you watched Bad 25 you'd come away thinking that Michael really just showed up and sang with a concillatory 'oh yeah but he worked hard, such a great work ethic'.

I have no problem with Michael being portrayed as extremely determined and ambitious but that's after the talent. No matter how hard Michael worked he wouldn't have got anywhere without his 'god-given' talents, in abundance.

I understand and I agree.

They went into the writing process of Man in the Mirror in detail, but I don't think they even mentioned that all songs minus two were written by MJ on the album. That irks me too when not enough emphasis is put on his own creativity. Unfortunately this is the collaborators' bias. Since MJ is not here each one of them will put an emphasis on their own work and even magnify it compared to what it really was. It's up to the director to balance that out and not let collaborator's egos overshadow MJ.

Really wait for it. :)

When will it be released to the public?

It's true some of the footage shown didn't have HQ standards but not to the point of being unwatchable. That's being too picky and exaggerating.

I didn't like people around Michael and so called experts talked for him. It'd be better if Spike used interviews and even personal archives of him talking about the creative process if such footage was available in this new documentary.

respect77;4120002 said:
They went into the writing process of Man in the Mirror in detail, but I don't think they even mentioned that all songs minus two were written by MJ on the album. That irks me too when not enough emphasis is put on his own creativity. Unfortunately this is the collaborators' bias. Since MJ is not here each one of them will put an emphasis on their own work and even magnify it compared to what it really was. It's up to the director to balance that out and not let collaborator's egos overshadow MJ.

I agree with this. And this will be so much apparent on this documentary. Because MJ wrote only 2 and a half songs out of 10 from that album. Plus I saw that Gamble and Huff were interviewed so I guess they'll take most of the credits for songs from the Jacksons era.

It's true some of the footage shown didn't have HQ standards but not to the point of being unwatchable.

It's true that some of the footage shown didn't have Q standards. As I said in another thread it is sad that unofficial bootleg leaks like Bremen have much better quality than DVDs released officially by MJ's Estate and Epic Records/Sony Music. But that is another topic. Let's just hope this one will be an improvement.

myosotis;4119972 said:
I searched online and found this:

http://www.sundance.org/festivals/sundance-film-festival/get-tickets

(Nice that there is also a 'Maya Angelou' documentary premiering at the same festival)

Introduction on that site says this:
Michael Jackson's Journey from Motown to Off the Wall / U.S.A. (Director: Spike Lee) — Catapulted by the success of his first major solo project, Off the Wall, Michael Jackson went from child star to King of Pop. This film explores the seminal album, with rare archival footage and interviews from those who were there and those whose lives its success and legacy impacted. World Premiere

Really looking forward to seeing this, and I know he interviewed Stevie Wonder for thiis:yes:

CVvUHUjWEAAxgi3.jpg

Thanks for the info guys,

D anybody know if this will now spur the estate to release an anniversary edition of off wall? Hopefully with unreleased demos and possibly at long last the release of some Jackson Concert blurays! ??

Terry

Ohhh Off The Wall is such an amazing album i would love to see a dvd and maybe even a tour

Back