Spike Lee announces Off The Wall Documentary - Estate Announcement Page 66

Re: Spike Lee announces Off The Wall Documentary

Can't wait for this to be released on Blu-Ray !!

They better add extra material this time - and sell it in a better way!! - Maybe make an arrangement with Netflix and put all MJ stuff on there!

Hope they will put subtitles on the Blu-Ray this time !!!

Can't wait for this to be released on Blu-Ray !!

They better add extra material this time - and sell it in a better way!! - Maybe make an arrangement with Netflix and put all MJ stuff on there!

Hope they will put subtitles on the Blu-Ray this time !!!
I agree with "sell it in a better way." They should put BAD25 doc and this on Amazon. Especially with the Michael Jackson store closed right now-bad timing at Christmas.

When will it be released to the public?
Usually they show these at film festivals and networks, film studios bid for the rights to distribute. Just read that both the Maya Angelou and the Norman Lear docs are going to be part of the American Masters (PBS) series this year. Maybe they will buy "Off the Wall" too-
I know American Masters has been negotiating to produce a Michael Jackson full documentary for some time.

Michael Jackson’s Journey from Motown to Off the Wall / U.S.A. (Director: Spike Lee) — Catapulted by the success of his first major solo project, Off the Wall, Michael Jackson went from child star to King of Pop. This film explores the seminal album, with rare archival footage and interviews from those who were there and those whose lives its success and legacy impacted. World Premiere

I place my trust in Lee that he will do a respectful and enlightening tribute to Michael's artistry, drive, and work ethic during this particular era. Michael earned it and deserves it. Lee delivered with Bad25 and I believe he will with OTW as well. Bad25 was not perfect however; some of the nitpicking of that documentary is simply that for me, nitpicking.

It is impossible to relate this tale without some time spent discussing the Jackson Five. Without it, most do not and will not understand that Michael was a legend in his early twenties and it took much hard work to release his legendary status as a child star to be recognized as an adult artist. If Michael never had a solo career as an adult, he still would have passed a legend.

I do not remember any moment in Bad 25 where it was not mentioned that Michael wrote the majority of the songs; particularly because each song was discussed in full during the film.

Jones is very important to this particular era and I do hope Lee had a chance to interview him so present day comments can be included. There is no possible way to complete the trilogy without Jones' present day commentary in my view.

xscape guy 2003;4120398 said:
Thanks for the info guys,

D anybody know if this will now spur the estate to release an anniversary edition of off wall? Hopefully with unreleased demos and possibly at long last the release of some Jackson Concert blurays! ??

Terry

I share this dream. I wish to live in a world where these dreams are realized.

barbee0715;4120671 said:
Usually they show these at film festivals and networks, film studios bid for the rights to distribute. Just read that both the Maya Angelou and the Norman Lear docs are going to be part of the American Masters (PBS) series this year. Maybe they will buy "Off the Wall" too-

I know American Masters has been negotiating to produce a Michael Jackson full documentary for some time.

This would be amazing!

Last edited:

Oh the MJ store is closed? It always bugged me that they don't ship worldwide.

It's very cool news, but me too i hope they will put subtitles on the Blu-Ray !!

in particular I do not really like the album of the wall,
but I would like to see the documentary

Oh the MJ store is closed? It always bugged me that they don't ship worldwide.
They closed because the Estate changed from Bravado to somebody else. It was temporary but it was still closed when I last checked. Don't know why it's taking so long.

I Trust on he, i hope the great work as BAD 25 :D

Showing the Triumph Tour alone would define this period of Michael Jackson's career was all about. Quincy Jones was a mentor and made it possible for Michael to discover his musical versatility as an artist, thats the mark of a great producer because when that happens, u don't have to seek current trends, you are creating authentic music

Showing the Triumph Tour alone would define this period of Michael Jackson's career was all about. Quincy Jones was a mentor and made it possible for Michael to discover his musical versatility as an artist,
Yes!! Hopefully the Estate reads our posts and hears our pleas.

Hope to see this soon! :)

I just hope it's good - and long. 2 hours + would be nice. :)

And please add some extra materiale on the Blu-Ray !!

Won't there be a trailer of some kind for this?

The synopsis is intriguing:

One morning, a television set broke down in a living room in Gary, Indiana, leaving a large family of children with nothing to do—so they started singing. Soon the family was singing at talent shows and winning trophies. Their first four recorded songs would top the charts, and launch the career of one of the greatest entertainers the world has ever known.

Director Spike Lee assembles a wealth of archival footage, interviews with contemporary talents and family members, and Michael’s own words and image to create this insightful chronicle of the star’s early rise to fame. An in-depth look at a chapter of his career that is rarely examined, Michael Jackson’s Journey from Motown to Off the Wall allows audiences to travel with Michael as he gets his start at Motown, strikes a new path with CBS records, and forges a relationship with legendary producer Quincy Jones. An illuminated portrait emerges of how an earnest, passionate, hard-working boy would become the “King of Pop.”

YEAR 2015

SECTION Doc Premieres

COUNTRY U.S.A.

RUN TIME 110 min
http://www.sundance.org/projects/michael-jackson-s-journey-from-motown-to-off-the-wall

If I am correct, some U.S. cable stations will offer Sundance films for pay.

^^As soon as they have the first showing, we should be getting the reviews. Most of the films are reviewed internationally.

Tygger;4122296 said:
The synopsis is intriguing:

One morning, a television set broke down in a living room in Gary, Indiana, leaving a large family of children with nothing to do—so they started singing. Soon the family was singing at talent shows and winning trophies. Their first four recorded songs would top the charts, and launch the career of one of the greatest entertainers the world has ever known.

Director Spike Lee assembles a wealth of archival footage, interviews with contemporary talents and family members, and Michael’s own words and image to create this insightful chronicle of the star’s early rise to fame. An in-depth look at a chapter of his career that is rarely examined, Michael Jackson’s Journey from Motown to Off the Wall allows audiences to travel with Michael as he gets his start at Motown, strikes a new path with CBS records, and forges a relationship with legendary producer Quincy Jones. An illuminated portrait emerges of how an earnest, passionate, hard-working boy would become the “King of Pop.”

YEAR 2015

SECTION Doc Premieres

COUNTRY U.S.A.

RUN TIME 110 min
http://www.sundance.org/projects/mic...o-off-the-wall

If I am correct, some U.S. cable stations will offer Sundance films for pay.

Only 110 minutes ?? - I had hoped for a lot more. :)

Hopefully they will add a lot of extra material this time around !!!

Hopefully it will be shown on TV for free. I'm not interested in paying for this. I watched Bad25 on tv it was ok not worth paying for tho. Not really a Spike fan. It will be interesting to see what kind of audience will watch this. Hope for the best.

CVvUHUjWEAAxgi3.jpg

It this about to really happen? I can't wait.

Only 110 minutes ?? - I had hoped for a lot more. :)

Hopefully they will add a lot of extra material this time around !!!

For the DVD and hopefully that will be sold correctly and not in the manner the Bad25 documentary was sold.

Hopefully it will be shown on TV for free. I'm not interested in paying for this. I watched Bad25 on tv it was ok not worth paying for tho. Not really a Spike fan. It will be interesting to see what kind of audience will watch this. Hope for the best.

Bad 25 doccumentary was such a treat for the die hard fans. I happily paid $19.99 for it.
I will probably buy this one too,

I'm definitely looking forward to it. I'm watching Bad25 again on the computer right now.

I am annoyed that they don't sell the physical copy on Amazon and even tho they are advertising it at the online store, it's not in stock.

I hope they don't interview modern artists like last time.

^^Should be announced any minute, right?
Edit to add: I don't see it on his Facebook page either.

Last edited:

Nice achievement for Thriller.

Found it on his official page. A lovely piece written about Thriller and Michael too.

About the Off The Wall doc

Will there be releaased teasers and a trailer ??

I hope for soo much studio footage !!

Jeez, was the announcement about Thriller? And I thought they were going to announce new projects! A nice achievement for Michael though. Even though he may not be here, people still love him and appreciate his music.

Back