Spike Lee announces Off The Wall Documentary - Estate Announcement Page 66

Re: Spike Lee announces Off The Wall Documentary

Well, Paul's latest re-release and now this has bound to got the Estates attention. They're not music novices.
And now they have the perfect prototype on how to do it.
They can even hire this same team to restore Michael's stuff.

Well, Paul's latest re-release and now this has bound to got the Estates attention. They're not music novices.
And now they have the perfect prototype on how to do it.
They can even hire this same team to restore Michael's stuff.

I was thinking the same thing in the bold.

It would be unfair to not have something on Off The Wall it been over 30 years that a long time.

Will there be a Off the Wall Documentary or not?

Last edited:

well if it comes out next year then i highly doubt we'll be getting Dangerous25 aswell.

well if it comes out next year then i highly doubt we'll be getting Dangerous25 aswell.

I don't see why this couldn't come out early/mid 2016 and Dangerous 25 late 2016? It's not like the Estate is unable to focus on two things at once (besides, I imagine they've already started looking into material for D25. I can see them focusing more on that than the OTW doco tbh).

^^That would be over saturating the market.
One of those albums could come out 2021 celebrating 30 year anniversary.

^^That would be over saturating the market.
One of those albums could come out 2021 celebrating 30 year anniversary.

Ehhh.
Thriller 25.
Bad 25.
Dangerous 30.

I think it'd look better if they stuck to 25, I like the pattern. It'd make a cool 'trilogy' so to speak :p Besides, there hasn't been a new Michael Jackson product since May 2014. Given the almost two year break, releasing a documentary in early 2016 followed by a much higher profile reissue later in the year wouldn't really be oversaturation imho.

^^I just wish Spike would hurry up. I'm starting to get impatient. :(

^^I just wish Spike would hurry up. I'm starting to get impatient. :(

Art shouldn't be rushed my friend. It can take some time to make a good documentary :)

Which we know Spike Lee can do barbee 0715 we just have to be alittle bit more patient it will come. But i feel you the waiting is hard.

I really doubt that it's up to Spike when this comes out. The estate makes the call. There also may be legal problems with footage. I hope it's good. Bad25 doc was ok not great. The total Bad25 release was great probably the best we have had since Mjs passing. I expect release in Feb/March then a album with new material for the holidays next year. Dangerous 25 I don't think so at this point.

I think any documentary focusing on this era of Michael's career will be watered down

Spike must make a boxset with 3 documentary (OTW, THRILLER and BAD) in bluray/DVD, jackpot for sure!!!

I think any documentary focusing on this era of Michael's career will be watered down
I can't even imagine. He is sitting on a treasure trove of material and stories from that time. This doc could easily be 6 hours long and every minute of it fascinating.

I can't even imagine. He is sitting on a treasure trove of material and stories from that time. This doc could easily be 6 hours long and every minute of it fascinating.

there's no disputing that, I lived through that period

the question is will it

because that period of his career which happened to be his most spontaneous has been shunned for a very long time

there's no disputing that, I lived through that period

the question is will it

because that period of his career which happened to be his most spontaneous has been shunned for a very long time
I know you did. So did I. And so did Spike. It's the time period that I wish every fan could have experienced because it was actually incredible-I look back on clips of that time and shake my head in awe. My mind goes crazy remembering things.
I'm so lucky to have been around then.

That's why I expect Spike to recreate this so everyone else can experience it. I'll be surely disappointed if he doesn't.

State still does Unofficial OTW th :(

"On the documentary side, Sundance will premiere the first of Spike Lee’s planned docu trilogy about the King of Pop: Michael Jackson’s Journey from Motown to Off the Wall. “Michael Jackson is one of the most iconic stars of the last 50 years. And yet, he has such a tricky reputation now,” says Groth. “The film focuses on his drive and commitment. What a hard worker he was, not just on how talented he was. It looks at when he transitioned from the Jackson Five into a solo career. For fans, I think it’s going to play through the roof. And for not fans, they’re going to be fascinated."

Michael Jackson’s Journey from Motown to Off the Wall / U.S.A. (Director: Spike Lee) — Catapulted by the success of his first major solo project, Off the Wall, Michael Jackson went from child star to King of Pop. This film explores the seminal album, with rare archival footage and interviews from those who were there and those whose lives its success and legacy impacted. World Premiere

The festival will be held January 21-31st!! Hopefully it won't be too long before it's released to the public.

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/12/07/sundance-2016-premieres-and-documentaries-lineup-announced

Last edited:
from Motown to Off the Wall?? does that mean there's gonna be J5 footage??

Michaels Lover;4119686 said:
from Motown to Off the Wall?? does that mean there's gonna be J5 footage??

Probably, but it seems that the focus will be more on the transition to his adult solo career before exploring the album itself.

Rare archival footage? hope it's a decent amount and not overdubbed.

MoeJack;4119683 said:
"On the documentary side, Sundance will premiere the first of Spike Lee’s planned docu trilogy about the King of Pop: Michael Jackson’s Journey from Motown to Off the Wall. “Michael Jackson is one of the most iconic stars of the last 50 years. And yet, he has such a tricky reputation now,” says Groth. “The film focuses on his drive and commitment. What a hard worker he was, not just on how talented he was. It looks at when he transitioned from the Jackson Five into a solo career. For fans, I think it’s going to play through the roof. And for not fans, they’re going to be fascinated."

Michael Jackson’s Journey from Motown to Off the Wall / U.S.A. (Director: Spike Lee) — Catapulted by the success of his first major solo project, Off the Wall, Michael Jackson went from child star to King of Pop. This film explores the seminal album, with rare archival footage and interviews from those who were there and those whose lives its success and legacy impacted. World Premiere

The festival will be held January 21-31st!! Hopefully it won't be too long before it's released to the public.

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/12/07/sundance-2016-premieres-and-documentaries-lineup-announced

Yea, it is about time!!!!:punk:
:dancin::clap::woohoo::dropdead:

Yes!!! Didn't Spike premiere Bad25 at Cannes? Or was that the Toronto film festival??
I'd be quite elated for people to see all the damn hard work he put into his evolution from child phenom to megawatt superstar with supernatural talent.

Honestly the part that caught my intention the most was a TRILOGY OF DOCUMENTARIES :D!! I sure hope Dangerous is one of them!

Yes, OTT documentary is ready :sarmoti::sarmoti::sarmoti::sarmoti:

@MoeJack
I read it somewhere Spike mentioning he wanted to do trilogy of Michael's OTT, Bad and Thriller albums. He has done Bad, now OTT, later Thriller:clapping:

Bad 25 was premiered at the Venice Film Festival if I remember correctly. I just hope it includes more Michael footage and less irrelevant talking heads which made me not liking completely the first docu. It will be interesting to see if Spike included archive footage of Q or interviewed him in person. I'm hoping it's from the archives because nowadays he's bitter at Michael, I don't understand why and has a selective memory.

Wow! Sounds great.

I have no problem if the focus is not just on OTW, but also on that whole transitional period between Motown and OTW. That sounds like an interesting subject in itself, because most child stars fail with that transition to serious adult artist. I actually hope that albums like Destiny and even Triumph (although that was after OTW, but to me it is still OTW era) get a shine as well. That would be awesome because I think this is one of MJ's most overlooked era. Not OTW, but the other (Jacksons) albums around it.

I hope it will NOT be too much about the J5. We have countless of documentaries dealing with the Motown era of the group. How they came from Gary, Bobby Taylor/Gladys Knight discovered them not Diana, I Want You Back, ABC, I'll Be There etc. etc. That is covered a lot already. What biographical documentaries always seem to skip is exactly this transition era from Motown to OTW, so if well done Spike could actually tell something new to the general public.

Very much looking forward to this! I do wish it had a 'snappier' title though...MJJFMTOTW doesn't exactly roll off the tongue...

Consequence of Sound ?@coslive
Spike Lee's new Michael Jackson doc, film about Frank Zappa to premiere at #Sundance2016: http://cos.lv/VAYpB
CVqja1DUsAEhaa7.jpg

Michael-and-Quincy-michael-jackson-and-quincy-jones-22230395-485-281.gif
This sounds AMAZING!!

That is GOOD news indeed!
I quite liked the BAD Docu from Spike Lee so that is something to look forward to.

What biographical documentaries always seem to skip is exactly this transition era from Motown to OTW, so if well done Spike could actually tell something new to the general public.

That is what I like about the Docu. Not the same old story told over and over again but a new view on how Michael 'survived' and 'thrived' as an artist because a lot of child stars sadly 'fizz out' when they grow up!

Back