Spike Lee BAD 25 Documentary- DVD / Blu Ray [available on iTunes Nov 19]

Re: The Spike Lee BAD 25 Documentary /DVD/ TV / Theater Release [Discussion]

I am going to wait till February to see what I missed seeing. It gives me a feeling to look forward to something and be surprised. Not many chances to feel like that anymore now that Michael is gone.
Me too-I recorded the ABC one and watched it repeatedly the next day too, but the commercials were so jarring that it completely jolted me out of the scene that I was enjoying. I've never seen such an atrocious job of editing.

Me too-I recorded the ABC one and watched it repeatedly the next day too, but the commercials were so jarring that it completely jolted me out of the scene that I was enjoying. I've never seen such an atrocious job of editing.

Very true. I've seen plenty of documentaries with commercials and never did they bother me like the ones in this one did.

German channel VOX showed it in HD on October 20........a 720p version is on various usernet groups (6-7 GB)....and Im sure torrent.
Ok got this one in full now, indeed HD quality, but it seems about 10 minutes shorter compared to the BBC version. Any idea where they cut the 10 minutes?

can someone please tell me the differences on the short and long version
what is missing on the ABC Version and the VOX version?

Last edited:
RIP_2009;3748546 said:
Ìm a little surprized that no none has added the BBC sound to the german full version?
Wasnt the german one aired in HD?

Herrie;3748763 said:
Ok got this one in full now, indeed HD quality, but it seems about 10 minutes shorter compared to the BBC version. Any idea where they cut the 10 minutes?

I dont know.....didnt know BBC and VOX German had different playing time.

Thanks in advance Herrie!
It would be brilliant to add the English (BBC) audio to the HD video from the German version! I appreciate that if the Vox version is 10minutes shorter then the BBC version, some standard definition BBC video would need to be spliced into the Vox video stream to get a complete show, but I guess it's not too difficult to do these days. Or you could edit out the 10minutes from the BBC audio to match the German HD video, but I guess the fans would not like that much.

It would be brilliant to add the English (BBC) audio to the HD video from the German version! I appreciate that if the Vox version is 10minutes shorter then the BBC version, some standard definition BBC video would need to be spliced into the Vox video stream to get a complete show, but I guess it's not too difficult to do these days. Or you could edit out the 10minutes from the BBC audio to match the German HD video, but I guess the fans would not like that much.
Unfortunately I don't have that much time to walk through the whole 2 hrs and see where the differences are :(

Sony Entertainment Television is going to air the doc. here in Brazil on Dec 31. Probably going to be the short version but is still something... Also, after it, they're showing This Is It and then the doc. again.

I found someone who downloaded the US version and thought it was complete. The person was so happy when I told her that the ABC footage was not complete and the complete doc will be out. It is really great to meet more fans of Michael's music. I was in people's homes and noticed they are downloading the Bad concert from Utube, but are they buying the actual product? How is this affecting sales?

Im just gonna wait for the release on Blu ray

I wanted to DL the BBC version, but I Have changed my mind and want to wait for the real McCoy in 2 months. I was lucky enough to see it on the big screen, so that should be enough for now.

i am hoping TV stations around the world will air this doc during the holidays....and again in June or August. Until we get a decent biography (I am not holding my breath) this documentary is our Michael Jackson guide book. Reference book.

I don't EVER wanna see Man in the mirror or that Halperin documentary on TV again. Not when they have masterpieces like This Is It and BAD25 at their disposal.

Last edited:

I saw the short version on TV on Thanksgiving day and have it recorded.
But I too will buy the DVD in February. I'm really anxious to see all the extras and bonus stuff.

Buying the dvd is a must, it's a masterpiece.

Or you can wait a little longer and own the bluray for the documentary and a whole lot of extra's!!! :D

I mean I plan on purchasing the DVD when it comes out, but I'd also like to watch over winter break on my computer. So if anyone knows where i can download the full BBC version without torrents, please let me know..

Just watched the full version, wow. I couldn't take my eyes off the TV for a second :bow:

my only complaint: there should be less talking and more candid Michael footage ;)

Last edited:

So I finally watched it and my lower jaw is still stuck on the table :p That was such an amazing documentary. I loved every bit of it, going through all of the Bad album. All people interviewed were so relevant and had great input to the stories behind the music and short films. 2 things I noticed though, John Branca's tear being fake. And there was only old material from Quincy Jones. That material told everything we wanted and needed to know. But it just made me wonder if he was asked and/or if he didn't want to be involved.
As always when I hear Man in the Mirror, it gave me goosebumps. It was funny to see the footage Michael taped himself about how the raisins had to look like. Hadn't seen it in ages and it made me crack up in laughter. And I cried during the bit where everyone recalled where they were and they all had real tears and became all quiet.

I wish Spike Lee would make such a documentary for all albums. It's great!!!!!

They are going to send it 29/12 22.30 Svt2 in Sweden.
it´s just one hour but it´s better than nothing and no commercials on that channel.
After the broadcast we can see it on svtplay,I think programmes are there for 30 days and then it´s soon february and I can buy it.

The 4 hour special "Bad 25 Das Phänomen Michael Jackson" including the full Spike Lee-docu will air again twice on silvester on Vox / Germany
16.25 afternoon and then again at midnight.

Norwegian channel NRK2 will air the short version of the documentary 27/12 22:15
Channel is available in both SD and HD.

i saw the movie 3 times
wish it would have been longer :)
so much stuff in it

For anyone in Holland wanting to watch it. It's on at Nederland 3 on the 29th at 20.25. Unfortunately it's the shorter version of 1,5 hours.

To fans in Scandinavia, particularly Sweden and Norway.

The 'Bad25' documentary will be shown on SVT2 this Saturday December 29th at 10:30 pm.

And it will re-run today on norwegian NRK in HD......it was also aired yesterday.
The HD quality was amazing.

They are going to show it 3 times in Sweden
SVT2 lör 29 dec kl 22.30
SVT2 lör 4 jan kl 11.55
SVT2 sön 13 jan kl 12.20

Some nice words for documentary from The Roots, I only post MJ part of it:

10 Moments That Made 2012 Great
From Obama's debates to a Spike Lee joint, these achievements made this year memorable.
By: Lawrence D. Bobo | Posted: December 30, 2012 at 12:10 AM

Coming in at No. 3 for me is Spike Lee's Bad 25 documentary on the 25th anniversary of the release of Michael Jackson's Bad album. If you have not seen this documentary and are in any measure a Jackson fan, you just must get it. And if you are a Jackson hater, you need to see this even more. Few films can capture music and a great musician's creative process. This film gives us as full and powerful an evocation of who Jackson was and why he still reigns, globally, as one the most amazing entertainers of all time as any I can imagine.

Jackson's ambition, his humanity, his warmth, his humor, his constant seeking for inspiration, emotion and perfection in his music just leaps out of every frame. And there are few film segments as powerful as the brief section in which Lee interviews his many collaborators, asking each of them to comment on Jackson's untimely death. It will stop your heart. Michael Jackson, I will always believe, was misunderstood and unduly stigmatized in life. Spike Lee deserves big kudos for starting to seriously set the record straight. Thank you, Spike!

http://www.theroot.com/views/10-moments-made-2012-great

Back