Spike Lee BAD 25 Documentary- DVD / Blu Ray [available on iTunes Nov 19]

Re: The Spike Lee BAD 25 Documentary /DVD/ TV / Theater Release [Discussion]

Great docu, but I did not liked the fact they had the 2009 passed away part in it. It's about Bad en it's 25th birthday, not about his pass away, they really have to cut it out of it if they will release it on DVD / BluRay

I don't think they have to cut out anything. It's how Spike Lee created it, it should remain so. It was good to show how much Michael was loved by those who worked with him (and others too).

I don't think they have to cut out anything. It's how Spike Lee created it, it should remain so. It was good to show how much Michael was loved by those who worked with him (and others too).
OK true, but not at 3/4 part of the docu, I was in a very good mood watching it untill Jermain pops up with the news. I became sad and was doubting to watch the part left.

Great docu, but I did not liked the fact they had the 2009 passed away part in it. It's about Bad en it's 25th birthday, not about his pass away, they really have to cut it out of it if they will release it on DVD / BluRay

Sad indeed. But right at that moment people watching it will be reminded of the tremendous loss... it builds up to show how great michael was then to remind you how quickly he was taken away from us. It then moves on to celebrate michaels legacy and you end up with a feeling that it is OK. He is not here but he will live forever in our hearts. Atleast thats how I view it

Couldn´t artists talk about how Michael inspired them without talking about his death? When I saw Jermaine I just couldn´t watch any longer.

Wasn't this supposed to be released in February? That's 27 days away. No news?

MIST;3759710 said:
Couldn´t artists talk about how Michael inspired them without talking about his death? When I saw Jermaine I just couldn´t watch any longer.
Yeah, I thought it was about Bad (25), but like Muchos said, if you see it that way, it's OK, but I did not thought about it that way when I watch it.

^Wasn't it scheduled for this February?

I find the inclusion of Michaels passing in BAD25 somehow fitting. It has a lot to do with the legacy of the song 'Man in the Mirror'. After Michael passed away people turned to the song, as Joe Vogel also said. It reminds people that this global anthem came from this great album and from the great person, artist and colleague Michael was. Off the Wall and Thriller did not contain such songs, so in that matter BAD excels.

Managed to finally DL/Watch the FULL BBC documentary last night. I was left speechless.

The ABC version is homeless compared to the complete version. I felt things went full circle and was totally nourished when the 2 hours were over.

I wish they would have shed some more light on a couple of things though, for example, The Way You Make Me Feel dance break and choreography. I know they showed it but there wasn't many details on what inspired it.

I was also surprised that they didn't show the Smooth Criminal behind the scenes. Where Robert De Niro and Gregory Peck were on set.

[video=youtube;UVtWxh9Exao]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVtWxh9Exao[/video]

That clip has one of the most influential quotes I've heard from Michael...

“I want the music to represent the way we feel. It’s gotta dictate our emotion, our moods. We’re expressing the way everybody feels. It’s rebellion, you know what I mean? We’re letting out what we always wanted to say to the world: passion and anger and fire.”

tumblr_mdp4rpQlFo1rhk2w1o5_250.gif

I think the reaction segment regarding Michael's passing was very much needed in the documentary, personally. At first I didn't understand why he had to include that, but then I remembered my reaction when I saw it. And then reading this forum and the reactions of many. Like the article says, it's heart stopping, a tear-jerker for sure. IMO, but I think it was meant to show what an absolute loss Michael Jackson was to everyone, not just his immediate friends, family, and people who personally knew him, but to everyone, he was an inspiration to the world. He influences almost every aspiring musician to be like him. And in many cases, he influences some to just be better people in life.

Yes, I agree. When I first saw the documentary from German TV, the inclusion seemed almost cruel to me. It did almost stop my heart- and brought me to tears. Yes, fans know what we all went through that day. But- as a whole the segment showed non-fans the impact, and when I saw the US TV version, and the segment was not included, the emotional impact was nowhere near as big. I think the way Spike reached in and grabbed the heart could really bring it home to non-fans whose time did not stand still that day, or maybe new fans who have discovered Michael since that day, how the loss has been felt.

^Wasn't it scheduled for this February?

Yes its been scheduled to come out in feb

Managed to finally DL/Watch the FULL BBC documentary last night. I was left speechless.

I wanted to download/watch the full bbc documentary as well, can you help me find it? Thanks :)!

I am wondering, are we still getting the docu DVD/Bluray release in February? I can't find it on Amazon :( Hope it has not been cancelled or anything due to BAD25 sales not matching expectations.

I am wondering, are we still getting the docu DVD/Bluray release in February? I can't find it on Amazon :( Hope it has not been cancelled or anything due to BAD25 sales not matching expectations.

I presume it still will be released in feb altough i looked at my local cd store's catalouge and wasnt in the upcoming dvd section

I didn't see anything on Amazon or on Spikes website either. I hope it will still be released. I'm surprised we haven't heard anything about it being that it's almost mid January already. Perhaps someone can tweet Spike and see if he will respond. I tried, but didn't see any response.

So when will this come out? Can someone contact spike lee on his twitter account?

I am really looking forward to the Bluray release....I hope it's still a go :scratch:

Oh no, I hope everything is OK.

Nothing yet? It's taking too long to announce the Blu-Ray, don't you think?

Yup, getting stupid now. Still haven't watched the docu, because I want to watch it on my 42" 5.1 surround on Blu-Ray.

Yup, getting stupid now. Still haven't watched the docu, because I want to watch it on my 42" 5.1 surround on Blu-Ray.

I hope they didn't cancel the release...

Can someone pls get this confirmed? They can at least release it as a limited edition targeting fans only.

Let's not get carried away yet. Anyone heard from Spike lately? I have been telling people this thing is coming out in Feb, so I am doing my own advertising.

This was critically acclaimed and praised by many. Maybe the date got pushed back. This has to be on dvd/blu-ray. I hope so because I only saw the edited version.

I really don't understand it if they cancel it. Music documentaries do not necessarily achieve crazy amounts of sales, but they are still released. They released The Great Pretender for Freddie Mercury and I don't think it sold as many as Bad 25 would, because the Hungarian Rhapsody Queen concert video did not sell as many as MJ's Wembley'88 either, despite the former being HD. But they still release it, so they are still worth to be released. I hope the Estate/Sony won't take the attitude that if they cannot expect something to be sold several millions of copies then they won't release it. That would be lame.

^^ Yeah really. I think sony (and the estate) needs to let go a bit of that Michael Jackson = 100 millions copies mentality, this will only get in the way of future releases, because at the end of the day Michael is not here anymore and it will never be the same.

With that said i really hope they didn't cancel it, I only saw the edited version and i am still waiting for the full one :D

Last edited:
Back