Statue of Michael placed in Rio de Janeiro

Christiano

Proud Member
According to the Brazilian news website "G1", a statue of Michael Jackson was placed at Morro Dona Marta, a slum in the Botafogo neighborhood in Rio de Janeiro, where Michael filmed part of the Brazilian version of the "They Don't Care About Us" videoclip. The statue, designed by cartoonist Ique, was placed at the paving stone where the shot a few scenes of the video.

Musical producer Claudia Hernandes, 27, came from São Paulo to see the statue and was thrilled when she saw it. She was impressed by its preciosity, which reproduces Michael wearing an Olodum T-shirt, as he did in the video. "I cried a lot when I saw the statue. It's all perfect, they respected Michael's body and they did him slim and with the same clothing he used here in Santa MArta. I think that just the feet were made smaller [than Michael's real feet], she said. Claudia was in London to see Michael's comeback tour, when he passed away.

Teacher Mariana Rodrigues, another fan, has been collecting pictures and reports about Michael for 20 years. Along with her friends, she danced "Beat it", "Thriller" and "Billie Jean". "The statue is wonderful. This tribute is really deserved. He'll be eternal. I took pictures near the statue, imagining it was him", she said.

The residents of the favela believe that the statue will help make the community more famous outside Brazil. Other celebs have also visited Morro Santa Marta, like Madonna and Alicia Keys.

49 year old Teresa da Conceição, a retired housemaid, who was born and raised in the community, bets many tourists will be willing to see the statue at Santa Marta. "I'm sure it will be one more reason for gringos to visit the favela", she said.

Picture by Tássia Thum (click on it to enlarge)

Original report, in Portuguese: http://g1.globo.com/rio-de-janeiro/...tml?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

do you have a closer pic, I'd love to see it, i think is a WONDERFUL , FANTASTIC HONOR,

:bow: to Brazil!!!!!!

Do any of you have any idea what an incredible honor this is??? And all you have to say is that it doesn't look like him? What bronze statue looks like the real person? I am on top of the world right now! Michael's love spreads all over the world! I love you more Michael!

F**K Yeah ! There should be a statue of MJ in every town ! Love it !! PS. Someone is selling the HIStory statue on Ebay from the original mould. MAN would I love to have one of those either side of my entrance to myt house.

Who cares that it doesn't look exactly like him? This is such an amazing honor and they did this for Michael. I think this is GREAT. What awesome news, thank you for posting this.

That's all u can say after someone genuinely honors their idol?doesn't look like him?stfu and CELEBRATE this moment!thank you Brazil!

I've got three more pictures of the statue.

26mhgmichaelmarta.jpg
esttuamichaeljacksonhg.jpg
3212515altmichael.jpg

i think it looks more like him than the HIStory statue the was in england.. Yet another reason for me to love Brasil :heart:

The brazilian people loves Micheal very much, forerer...
Te amamos muito Michael, saudades!

I appreciate the sentiment, but it still dosent look like him. There are artists who have completly captured Michael's likeness. They should've researched, and used one of them.

Aawww I love it that that statue is in my country!!
I appreciate it so very much!!! :') :heart:
I love the comments!!
It feels very nice to have a statue of Michael in my country!! for me, it doesnt matter that it doesnt look like exactly like him. it is a nice gesture (too late, yeah) but Michael will be there forever! In MY country!! aaww :')

OMG!! another big FAIL! It looks nothing like him at all!!!! They might as well don't place a statue there! for everyone to make fun of!

Nice pictures.
Love it.

You can see Jesus on the hill in the background. Mike would like that I think. Who gives a toss if it's not a dead ringer. People know who it is. A golden god! Although the smile does look like the joker haha. Awesome statue though. That'll be on my list of things to visit.

As mentioned by the original poster it was designed by "cartoonist Ique". I am guessing from this that an exact likeness is NOT what they were after.
In fact knowing his love of cartoons I think he would have loved it.

Cheers

Mike R

Cool! :clapping: it doesn't look exactly like him but still I think its nice

its a really bad statue of him. They need the statute of the HISTORY promotion instead

jackson-statue-big-70.jpg

Back