Terence Trent D'Arby aka Sananda Maitreya Talks about Michael Jackson, Music, Life, and Spirituality

Re: Terence Trent D'Arby: Michael Jackson HATED me!

lol Oh I remember this dude. I always got creeped out by him looking like Prince and trying to be MJ when I was younger! Good to know I was right! hahaha!

I am just going to ignore him.

Oh great.A overly large-headed 80's has-been trying to claim some b.s. that isn't true.

NEXT!

I can't get angry at him. I find it funny more than anything

PS. I love his song Sign Your Name

What the....
1. Who is this guy?
2. What the heck is he even trying to say? Is he even sober?

"Master Michael"....?
Taking this not seriously at all. haha....

I can't get angry at him. I find it funny more than anything

PS. I love his song Sign Your Name

Is that the wishing well song? That is a good tune. Other than that he's pretty much a douch! Lol!

Oh Terence. I loved his first album, and I have heard some later songs I like, but he just lives on another planet. I can see Mike disliking him though, just because of the ridiculous things that come out of his mouth... I mean can you picture him and Mike having a conversation back in the day? There's no way they would have clicked.

Last edited:

It amazes me that when things don't go the way people plan for themselves that Michael gets blamed for it.

Michael is not the first person he blames for his flopped career. Earlier it was German producer Frank Farian (Milli Vanili, Bonny M):

Neither Fish Nor Flesh (A Soundtrack of Love, Faith, Hope & Destruction) is the second album by the U.S. singer Terence Trent D'Arby, released in 1989 on Columbia Records. Following his highly successful 1987 debut album Introducing The Hardline..., the album was highly anticipated but was panned by many critics at the time as being overly indulgent, scattered with pretentious song titles, and unfocused.[citation needed] Rolling Stone critic Mark Coleman said of D'Arby's effort "fails to establish him as a visionary pop godhead. It does, however, demonstrate convincingly that he’s far more than a mere legend in his own mind."
On the album commentary on his website, D'Arby (now known as Sananda Maitreya) claimed that the album's lack of commercial impact was due to his record company's "wholesale rejection of it" as well being hindered by German record producer Frank Farian who decided to release an album of his performances with funk band The Touch (from 1984) in Germany just weeks before Neither Fish Nor Flesh was due for release. Maitreya states that Neither Fish Nor Flesh was "the project that literally killed ‘TTD’, and from whose molten ashes, began the life of Sananda". [5]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neither_Fish_Nor_Flesh

Sign Your Name and Wishing Well are EXCELLENT 80s jams!
Love them.

Everyone saying "who?" should school yourself with these diddies :D

I really enjoy TTD's first album. And that's where it begins and ends for me.

tumblr_ltqud5mO5k1qchnh6o1_500.gif

Michael_Jackson_Laughing_by_MrsNikkiJackson.gif

"One day many many years ago Sign your name came on the radio while we´re making some sandwiches. Out of nowhere Michael says "I always wondered where this guy ended up, the song is amazing and he´s a good voice, sad that happened to so many that had potential". So.. Terence Trent D'arby.. he didn´t hate you nor trying to destroy you. Michael didn´t envy anyones success. That is just stupid."

Virre;3915739 said:
"One day many many years ago Sign your name came on the radio while we´re making some sandwiches. Out of nowhere Michael says "I always wondered where this guy ended up, the song is amazing and he´s a good voice, sad that happened to so many that had potential". So.. Terence Trent D'arby.. he didn´t hate you nor trying to destroy you. Michael didn´t envy anyones success. That is just stupid."

Where is that quote from?

TTD sounded pathetic talking about Michael like that, especially the "He hated me". He sounded like a complainer.

Virre;3915739 said:
Please source? :)

I know who this guy is. I remember. I doubt Michael hated him. I can believe Michael hated Sneddon or someone like that. If Michael didn't like him well I don't care to be honest. I don't get why he has to say Michael hated him at all.

Go on any TTD video on YouTube and read the comments. I guarantee you there will be some form of "MJ held TTD down because he was theatened by him/TTD could sing circles around MJ any day" comment.

Delicate was a minor hit and only in Europe.

if that is a hit, i missed that one. heard that for the first time. sounds terrrible. maybe thats why i never heard that on radio.

Well, not so seriosly lol But who knows? :))))

Do you remember Grammy's in 1988? TTD won one for best male performance..MJ zero..

I'm not defending him... this is controversial at least..
he have won in 1989. so there was no challenge at the grammies between them.

Go on any TTD video on YouTube and read the comments. I guarantee you there will be some form of "MJ held TTD down because he was theatened by him/TTD could sing circles around MJ any day" comment.

TTD has his own delusional fans, I guess.

I think T and his stans are missing the point.

The guy is really talented, a fantastic singer. I love his voice.

He was just arrogant and cocky to a point where it was not endearing at all. It turned most of the buying public off. There is an art to arrogant. Madonna had/has an arrogance about her. Whitney too. But they are/were so charismatic and charming, you either brush it off or defend it.

It really isn't that hard getting to the top and becoming popular. It is maintaining it that is the bitch. And when you come off like yours doesn't stink, people start ignoring you.

Michael will be a source of blame for the lazy and arrogant. They will blame him for holding them back. This is what happens when you set the bar so high people actually have to work hard to get near it.

I don't know why, but this fellow, Terence Trent D'Arby aka Sananda Maitreya, reminded me of this song, a year after "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club" came out.

This one's for you Mr. Maitreya:

You took a current rhythm from out of the sky,
and taught me how to use it as the years went by.
To tie up all your problems and make them believe.
And then to sell them to the people in the street.

It's a strange, strange world we live in, Master Jack.
You taught me all I know and I never looked back.
It's a very strange world and I thank you, Master Jack.

I saw right thru the way you started teaching me now.
So someday soon you could get to use me somehow.
I thank you very much and though you've been very kind.
I'd better move along before you change my mind

It's a very strange world and I thank you, Master Jack.

You taught me all the things the way you'd like 'em to be.
But I'd like to see whether people agree.
It's all very interesting the way you disguise.
But I'd like to see the world thru my own eyes.

You're a very strange man and I thank you, Master Jack.
You're a very strange man and I thank you, Master Jack.
You're a very strange man, aren't you, Master Jack?

I don't know what he's talking about.
Either he's afraid to be blunt about whatever he believes in or he wants to come across deep.

I gather he describes MJ as some greedy sell-out or hypocrite, which he seems to think is so not him. Well, if that's the case here, the only thing he's made clear is that he's bitter. If you think you're soooo different from MJ and some others, then fine, do you. He has no business knocking people to get his point across. It took a real go-getter inside of Michael to make him who he is.
So, don't hate the player, hate the game. As big as MJ was/is, he was not above the system. Go criticize the system and leave your fellow artist alone.

I still adore ' Sign Your Name ' as the utterly ethereal hymn of divinity and beauty.

But man, if you call yourself Sananda, you will be held to an incredible standard- stage name, or not.
Just please don't, everyone's human and all, but people will use it against you. Make them listen through your music.

This guy is bitter. He was huge with his first album and it was really good but then his next album was complete trash and he disappeared without a trace.

He sounds like he has been smoking his shoes.

Back