The Dangerous Tour Discussion Thread

I'll have to clean this a bit later but remember respect one another and their opinions and if you have issues get it off the forum - go to pm or get over it.

Play nice warning issued.

Hey, I noticed the "Godzilla" sound too! You can hear it on the LA concert in '89 as well! haha sorry, I know that's a "Bad Tour Discussion" topic.

Hey, I noticed the "Godzilla" sound too! You can hear it on the LA concert in '89 as well! haha sorry, I know that's a "Bad Tour Discussion" topic.

Yes seems they kept the extra sounds in, I like them, they pop up randomly which is nice

OK here's a different question: what was the name of the woman who replaced Jennifer Batten on guitar for the '93 shows? I know Greg Phillinganes left, Brad Buxer replaced him as Musical Director and Isaiah Sanders joined keyboards, but who took over for Jennifer?

dan.jpg

dan2.jpg

Cool post !!!

I'd like to point out to a lot of fans, that one of the reasons Michael didn't song 100% live on the Dangerous Tour was that he was very ill whilst on that tour in 1992. A number of concerts were canceled, and one was canceled at Wembley Stadium just 1hr before Michael was due on stage. Michael even collapsed on stage at Wembley Stadium at the end one concert after performing Man In The Mirror. So at least for the Dangerous Tour their is a good reason for Michael lip-syncing, but I'm not so sure about his reasons for lip-syncing on the History Tour.

I would love it if Michael released another concert from the Dangerous Tour on DVD, because I can't watch BBC1 version (which is much better than the badly edited and contrived HBO version) or the HBO, Live: In Bucharest concerts as there not good concerts and apart from Michael's stunning performance of Working Day And Night, Michael has zero energy on that concert.

Michael collapsed on ALL MITM performances on the Dangerous Tour. It was rehearsed and was ment to be included. It is a James Brown gimmick that Michael adopted to his performance. Where he appears to pass out, but he gets help getting up again and continues singing.

Where exactly are these videos? Show me one?

And you say HIStory tour was lip-synced every night because he didn't want to go through what he went through on Dangerous Tour..............Dangerous tour which was also heavily lip synced ha ha

FACT! Michael lip-synced because he could, not due to no illness, its proven in the fact both tours were planned to be lip-synced in parts. here is another great proving point

Why did michael lip-sync all songs apart from J5 Medley & WBSS on HIStory tour...........Because they were the only 2 songs he couldn't get away with, WBSS would have been too slow, the vocals are not power full and it would have been blatantly lip-synced, J5 Medley, well a 10 year old MJ voice would be weird lol

And bad tour was re-arranged to include some lip-syncing, Michael does this because he can, not because of an illness

Also why does he lip-sync on one off shows? BECAUSE HE CAN

All Earth song performances, Dangerous performances, Elizabeth I Love You and so on, He does this because the songs are not rehearsed to be done live

Why do you say Dangerous Tour was heavily lip synced?

Here are the songs he lip synced on all tours, so we can put this discussion behind us.

Bad Tour: The Way You Make Me Feel, Smooth Criminal, Bad(second leg) and most of Man In The Mirror.

Dangerous Tour: Jam, Smooth Criminal, Thriller, Will You Be There(except final part of the song), Black Or White, Heal The World and most of Man In The Mirror

History Tour: Scream, They Don't Care About Us, In The Closet, Stranger In Moscow, Smooth Criminal, You Are Not Alone, The Way You Make Me Feel, Off The Wall Medley, Billie Jean, Thriller, Beat It, Come Together/D.S, Dangerous, Black Or White, Blood On The Dance Floor, Earth Song, Heal The World and History.

You could be right, but I'm still not convinced. Where was the rehearsal, and why were a few fans invited.

Where don't know the reasons why Michael choose to lip-sync the majority of the songs on the History Tour. Maybe is like you said "Because he can", and maybe the after years of touring from the 1960's to the Bad Tour which was gruling took it's tool on the Bad Tour which obviously had an effect on the Dangerous Tour, and Michael may have been advised not to sing live again or for some years on long tours. It could be that Michael can't be bothered to sing live and was just lazy. Basically we don't know the full facts, just our own speculation.

You said Michael sang Wanna Be Startin Somethin, J5 Medley live and HIStory (HIStory was lip-synced) because he wouldn't be able to get away with lip-syncing them. Well Michael could get away with lip-syncing them (even though he sag WBSS and the J5 Medley live), because he could re-recorded live vocal versions of them and use them as playback to lip-sync as Michael did with You Rock My World on the MSG 30th Anniversary concerts in 2005. Michael's also sang the J5 medley many times as an adult, and could use audio recordings of rehearsals from previous tours etc and digitally extract ay background noise. As for not lip-syncing Wanna Be Startin Somethin on the History Tour, wouldn't be because in your view the vocals would be too slow, it would be because the song contains a number of sound effects such as wispers etc.

FACT! There is no proven fact that both the Dangerous and History Tours were planned to be lip-synced in parts, if you mean that the public and fans were supposed to know it was a lip-synced tour. The Dangerous Tour had far more live vocals than lip-synced, nearly every song was sang 100% live except about 3 or 4. And quite a number of Dangerous concerts were cancelled in 1992 during to throat problems Michael was having. If the Dangerous Tour was planned to be a lip synced tour, then Michael would never have done rehearsals and sang live on them

The History Tour may or may not have ended up being tour planned to be lip synced tour, but it's not a proven fact that it was planned from the start. Fans attending Michael's History Tour were supposed to have though he was singing live, and it's obvious it wasn't. Also you say Michael wouldn't get away with lip-syncing certain songs like WBSS, when the fact is Michael doesn't get away with lip-syncing any songs on tour because he's the worst as lip-syncing as he's a naturally good at singing live on tour.

Another thing about the History Tour is that Michael lip-synced songs like You Are Not Alone and a few others and sang the end parts of the songs live. On Beat It Michael lip-synced the first half of the song until the guitar part, then on the last part of the song with the dancing Michael would sing live. And that is before the extended brake down on Beat It.

But doesn't sound like a rehearsal ?, it sounds like an actual concert that's been passed off as a rehearsal because if the screaming fans, which you don't get at rehearsals.

The rehearsal is in Prague. There also exist video of some of that rehearsal. The stage area was closed and you could not see anything, just hear Michael rehearse. But the audio of Beat It is from Bad Tour Yokohama. Don't know why that is though.

Michael collapsed on ALL MITM performances on the Dangerous Tour. It was rehearsed and was ment to be included. It is a James Brown gimmick that Michael adopted to his performance. Where he appears to pass out, but he gets help getting up again and continues singing.

I know that, but Michael did actually collapse on one of the Dangerous concerts performing Man In The Mirror. I was at that actual concert and at the time I did not believe Michael collapsed for the reason you have stated. But listening back to an audio I have of that concert, the end part of the extended Man In The Mirror, Michael appears to have trouble get his vocals going and at least sounds as though he's ran out of energy and can't get up. And that is different from the other audios and videos I have.

I'm not sure what date it was, but at one of the Wembley Stadium concerts one of the concerts was cancelled at the last minute, whilst all the fans were in the stadium due to Michael have major throat problems/ being ill on that tour. I presume fans who had turned up for that specfic concert would have been more p*ssed off that those who've had the dates of the opening O2 concerts rescheduled, because some will have already used their plane and train tickets etc and where as fans attended the O2 rescheduled concerts who have a right to be angry, at least have the time to get a refund on plane, train and hotel tickets even though they should never have been put in that position.

The rehearsal is in Prague. There also exist video of some of that rehearsal.

This has alread been discussed, argued and and resolved on previous pages on this thread.

Why do you say Dangerous Tour was heavily lip synced?

Here are the songs he lip synced on all tours, so we can put this discussion behind us.

Bad Tour: The Way You Make Me Feel, Smooth Criminal, Bad(second leg) and most of Man In The Mirror.

Dangerous Tour: Jam, Smooth Criminal, Thriller, Will You Be There(except final part of the song), Black Or White, Heal The World and most of Man In The Mirror

History Tour: Scream, They Don't Care About Us, In The Closet, Stranger In Moscow, Smooth Criminal, You Are Not Alone, The Way You Make Me Feel, Off The Wall Medley, Billie Jean, Thriller, Beat It, Come Together/D.S, Dangerous, Black Or White, Blood On The Dance Floor, Earth Song, Heal The World and History.

I said it was heavily lip-synced because in my own opinion if you lip-sync almost half the show that is considered as a substantial amount of lip syncing, add in Bad and TWYMMF from the opening shows and later the tokyo shows that pretty much is a 50/50 live/lipsync.
Then the 93 shows its over half the concert and the Sao Paulo show he didn't do J5 Medley so its even more.

And its also not as clean cut on the lip-sync list, its annoying because Michael performs some songs live on some shows, or at least more parts, it seems mainly when the playback fails though, or when Michael is in a good mood

I said it was heavily lip-synced because in my own opinion if you lip-sync almost half the show that is considered as a substantial amount of lip syncing, add in Bad and TWYMMF from the opening shows and later the tokyo shows that pretty much is a 50/50 live/lipsync.
Then the 93 shows its over half the concert and the Sao Paulo show he didn't do J5 Medley so its even more.

And its also not as clean cut on the lip-sync list, its annoying because Michael performs some songs live on some shows, or at least more parts, it seems mainly when the playback fails though, or when Michael is in a good mood

Well again you are mistaken. He did not lip sync half the show.

Example from Tokyo 92

Live

Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'
Human Nature
I Just Can't Stop Loving You (duet with Siedah Garrett)
She's out of My Life
Jackson 5 Medley: I Want You Back / The Love You Save
Jackson 5 Medley: I'll Be There
Billie Jean
Workin' Day and Night
Beat It

Total - 9 (10 if you count I Want You Back & The Love You Save Seperate)

Lip-Sync

Jam
Smooth Criminal
Thriller
Black or White
Will You Be There
The Way You Make Me Feel
Bad
Black or White
Heal the World
Man in the Mirror

Total- 10

Point Proven!

Ohh god he lipsyched even more.Did you hear how bad was his voice in wbss performances.He hardly can breath.The best wbss vocals ware in bangkok 93

Ben what videos/concert you have, any amateur audio? thats not uploaded or more HQ versions?

I'll have a look within the next few days. I have both the BBC and the contrived and edited HBO version of the Bucharest concert from 1992, and one full amateur video (need to transfer to DVD) of a Dangerous concert (can't remember the location of the concert as I haven't watched it for over 10yrs). And audio cassettes (I need to digitaly transfer) of the BBC Radio 1 live transmission of the Bucharest concert, and a live audio of a Wembley Stadium concert I attended. One some of the concerts Michael didn't use the Carl Orff song Carmina Burana, and another classical song was used instead during the opening video montage.

I also some various televison specials and news footage of the Dangerous concerts that I recorded myself or have bought over the years. Most of the footage I haven't watched since the mid 1990's. I recently transfered MTV's Dangerous Tour Diaries on to DVD, and I'm not really too impressed with programme and thought it was excellent when I watched it on transmission in 1992. I also transfered Michael's MTV 10th Anniversary performance of Black Or White and Will You Be There from 1991 on to DVD, and that is excellent. I think that is Michael's best performance of Black Or White (even though it's obviously lip-synced), with different musical arrangement that Michael should use in concert.

Ohh god he lipsyched even more.Did you hear how bad was his voice in wbss performances.He hardly can breath.The best wbss vocals ware in bangkok 93

Wow, excellent vocals and not something I'd expect for 1993 for various reasons.

Last edited:
I'll have a look within the next few days. I have both the BBC and the contrived and edited HBO version of the Bucharest concert from 1992, and one full amateur video (need to transfer to DVD) of a Dangerous concert (can't remember the location of the concert as I haven't watched it for over 10yrs). And audio cassettes (I need to digitaly transfer) of the BBC Radio 1 live transmission of the Bucharest concert, and a live audio of a Wembley Stadium concert I attended. One some of the concerts Michael didn't use the Carl Orff song Carmina Burana, and another classical song was used instead during the opening video montage.

Interesting :)

I have some recordings from Wembely 1992, one very HQ and another (Maybe same recording) in the post coming to me.

Which concert did you attend?

Interesting :)

I have some recordings from Wembely 1992, one very HQ and another (Maybe same recording) in the post coming to me.

Which concert did you attend?

I attended 2 concerts. The first one on 31st July 1992 (I have an audio recording of this date, but I need to check the date of the cassette as I haven't listened for about 4yrs or so), and then on 23rd August 1992. The one I went to on 23rd August was a rescheduled concert, as it's original date was cancelled last minute with fans already in the stadium. I wasn't at the original date, and bought the ticket when some went on official resale. Tickets for that tour were £22.50 (my Bad concert tickets were £17.50 each).

I heard that the jack in the box jumping pad Michael jumped up on to the stage to, didn't work on one of the Wembley Stadium Dangerous concerts, and that instead Michael ran from the side of the stage in to the center and then the explosions would go off.

Example from Tokyo 92

Live

Human Nature
She's out of My Life
Billie Jean
Workin' Day and Night
Beat It

Lip-Sync

Jam
Smooth Criminal
Thriller
Black or White
Will You Be There
The Way You Make Me Feel
Bad
Black or White
Heal the World
Man in the Mirror

Total- 10

Point Proven!

Michael did not perform Bad and The Way You Make Me Feel in Tokyo. He performed those two songs in the three first shows of the tour, and then never performed them again for the rest of the tour.

Also, Michael lip synced only half of Will You Be There and Man In The Mirror

Point NOT proven

Michael did not perform Bad and The Way You Make Me Feel in Tokyo. He performed those two songs in the three first shows of the tour, and then never performed them again for the rest of the tour.

Its not common knowledge that these songs were re-introduced, but I know they were and so do a few other people. This is 100% FACT, no point in saying its not true

Also, Michael lip synced only half of Will You Be There and Man In The Mirror

Point NOT proven

So michael did the outro speaking part of Will You Be There and did some adlibs at the end of man in the mirror, are we counting how many seconds he sung live or lip-synced?

He only did both the above mentioned because he could not mime them, so you are now saying that those 2 songs are not lip-synced? They fall into the category of being lip-synced because the bulk important parts of the song, the main lyrics are mimed?

Does this mean Beat It wasn't mimed on HIStory tour, because he sang some ab-libs?

Also again with my point the late 93 shows were over half lip-synced, and Sao Paulo concert only had a few live songs left

Last edited:
Does anyone have a full and correct listing of the band for the "2nd leg" of Dangerous tour? Greg and Jennifer I know didn't play this leg, and i suspect david also dropped out after superbowl.

Well I just watched this tour (my first Mike tour) on dvd last week and I was rather bored at some parts. :( The best performances were Thriller and WDAN. Besides that nothing really stood out to me. It was the same pop-lock routines that he's been doing for a while, which I guess you can't him for it cuz it's his signature. Him being alone on stage sometimes was probably what was draining the most. IDK maybe it's an acquired taste so I'll watch it again later on. But for the most part, it was just okay.

Well I just watched this tour (my first Mike tour) on dvd last week and I was rather bored at some parts. :( The best performances were Thriller and WDAN. Besides that nothing really stood out to me. It was the same pop-lock routines that he's been doing for a while, which I guess you can't him for it cuz it's his signature. Him being alone on stage sometimes was probably what was draining the most. IDK maybe it's an acquired taste so I'll watch it again later on. But for the most part, it was just okay.

I know what you mean actually. A lot of his dance moves are the same ones he's always been doing, snapping his finger and twisting his foot, which he's very good at, don't get me wrong, but the dancing that impressed me the most was the Thriller routine and the Smooth Criminal number. I think he's fantastic at choreographed routines, and those are my personal favorite. I was impressed at the songs he sung live because previously I only saw the History Tour, and everything is pretty much lip synched. I don't know how he danced like he did and sang live during the Dangerous Tour like he did.

I've yet to download any Dangerous tour DVDs. Anyone have any suggestions on which is the best?

The rehearsal is in Prague. There also exist video of some of that rehearsal. The stage area was closed and you could not see anything, just hear Michael rehearse. But the audio of Beat It is from Bad Tour Yokohama. Don't know why that is though.

hmm i don't get it when did he use vocals from Yokohama?

Example from Tokyo 92

Live

Human Nature
She's out of My Life
Billie Jean
Workin' Day and Night
Beat It

Lip-Sync

Jam
Smooth Criminal
Thriller
Black or White
Will You Be There
The Way You Make Me Feel
Bad
Black or White
Heal the World
Man in the Mirror

Total- 10

Point Proven!

it really matters on how you count if song is lip synched ;], for me MitM = 50% lip sync, HtW = 50% lip sync, Bad = 66% lip sync, too bad he had to lip synch some songs in DWT and many in History, (because his voice is great live) but we all know he could sing ( even if some ppl think that he lost his ability to sing in History World Tour he hadn't, watch royal Brunei 1996 )

Last edited:
I know what you mean actually. A lot of his dance moves are the same ones he's always been doing, snapping his finger and twisting his foot, which he's very good at, don't get me wrong, but the dancing that impressed me the most was the Thriller routine and the Smooth Criminal number. I think he's fantastic at choreographed routines, and those are my personal favorite. I was impressed at the songs he sung live because previously I only saw the History Tour, and everything is pretty much lip synched. I don't know how he danced like he did and sang live during the Dangerous Tour like he did.

The Thriller routine was probably the best because he actually brought the song to life...the visuals were good. But the other routines were rather simple...SC and BI were good as well. It just got boring when the songs weren't given a visual. Also the cinematography and camera work wasn't the best. It was only 1991 so I can't really blame them. But the tour as a whole was just okay to me.

It's such a shame with the problems and outcomes of the Dangerous Tour. It would have been perhaps the biggest tour ever at that time for a solo performer, continuing well into 1994. I mean, Michael was performing in new countries, venues and a whole new audience. Breaking attendance records all over.

It's such a shame with the problems and outcomes of the Dangerous Tour. It would have been perhaps the biggest tour ever at that time for a solo performer, continuing well into 1994. I mean, Michael was performing in new countries, venues and a whole new audience. Breaking attendance records all over.

You could of almost Guaranteed that he would of performed other songs too :(

I have to say the 90's concert just don't do much for me. I like his videos from then but when I see a show I want to hear someone sing not recreate what's on film. The old Michael seemed to be gone by then. Bad was still pretty good as a tour. Less pagentry, pretty close to the level of the last two Jacksons' outings. Of course I as a Jacksons fan missed them in the later footage.

Back