The Estate of Michael Jackson enters partnership with Sony Mobile

I hope there will be some great TV adds with MJ's new music in it!

If MJ has to benefit from this partnership the album needs to be released or at least a single around the same time the mobile is released - And the commercials to the phone needs to use the new single - or songs from the album.

But the STTR commercial is already forgotten and will not help promote the new album - or even STTR single if it is released!

This deal with Sony mobile is a massive opportunity but as we know from our experience with Pepsi the outcome is not always beneficial. IF Sony use STTR in their main promo campaign around the time the phone is launched AND Sony release the album/single around the same time then this tie-in could be effective. But I have a feeling they only used STTR for the phone unveiling and will do something different in the phone's tv ads, in which case it's a massive waste of time from an album/single promotion point of view. Any future release of STTR as a single, or the album, will not benefit from the Sony deal unless they continue to use STTR in their ads. If they don't then the only benefit to the mj estate of the deal with Sony is likely to be the immediate revenue from licensing Sony to use the song. To Be honest that may have been the only intention all along. We don't have enough detail of the deal to know for sure and the pad conference didn't give much detail away.

1.) The commercial hasn't been put on TV yet. It still has a huge opportunity.
2.) Sony isn't putting together the album around the Xperia. Don't connect the two. The album will come out when Sony wants it to come out.

2.) Sony isn't putting together the album around the Xperia. Don't connect the two. The album will come out when Sony wants it to come out.

Are you guessing or do you know? Anyone who knows anything about basic marketing would regard this a huge missed opportunity were it the case.

Are you guessing or do you know? Anyone who knows anything about basic marketing would regard this a huge missed opportunity were it the case.

It's a guess, but it's a very safe one.

The album is going to use the Xperia for promotion. But the Estate undoubtedly won't plot its release date based on Xperia's. If anything, they'd wait until that phone is released.

This deal with Sony mobile is a massive opportunity but as we know from our experience with Pepsi the outcome is not always beneficial. IF Sony use STTR in their main promo campaign around the time the phone is launched AND Sony release the album/single around the same time then this tie-in could be effective. But I have a feeling they only used STTR for the phone unveiling and will do something different in the phone's tv ads, in which case it's a massive waste of time from an album/single promotion point of view. Any future release of STTR as a single, or the album, will not benefit from the Sony deal unless they continue to use STTR in their ads. If they don't then the only benefit to the mj estate of the deal with Sony is likely to be the immediate revenue from licensing Sony to use the song. To Be honest that may have been the only intention all along. We don't have enough detail of the deal to know for sure and the pad conference didn't give much detail away.

Truth.

With the inclusion of "digital content such as 6 movies and 30 days of Sony Music Unlimited" being offered, Michael's STTR may have been one of several Sony artists whose music will be available to this particular phone's future owners.

I think you are most likely correct that this may have simply been a licensing deal in which MJ fans were utilized to drive the YouTube view counter upward. Sad.

Last edited:
It's a guess, but it's a very safe one.

The album is going to use the Xperia for promotion. But the Estate undoubtedly won't plot its release date based on Xperia's. If anything, they'd wait until that phone is released.

I imagine they'd consider their campaign in conjuncture with Sony's Experia phone? From your other post it seemed like they wouldn't consider the Sony campaign at all? I'd doubt that highly. It would seem like a deal wasted. Cross-promotion is pretty basic stuff.

1.) The commercial hasn't been put on TV yet. It still has a huge opportunity.

I don't know how many times people have said your #2 in different ways, but still it is not sinking in. All I see is a company using Michael's song to promote their product, the end.

Myself, I see the MJ Estate using a product to promote Michael Jackson same as Michael did when he was alive. Its a partnership and they both get great Promotion. Its a win win for both. People interested in the iPhone are introduced to Michael's new music. People who went to hear the song are introduced to the phone. The majority of comments I see are favorable to both, the Song and the iPhone. Its good publicity for both IMO. The views climb significantly daily on the advertisement.. So no it isn't forgotten just because some of you may not be watching or commenting or Paying attention to it. Many fans are still paying attention and are helping to promote this add to bring more attention to Michael and his music. Youtube is a great format with a huge audience to promote any product, artist and music. Its doing what it is suppose to do. That is to peak interest and possible sales when the products are released. Doesn't mean the Album will be released with the phone either. Its a possibility, but they don't have to coincide to be successful. IMO

6,887,653 views :) and climbing http://youtu.be/VZ9HkICDuOI

I don't know how many times people have said your #2 in different ways, but still it is not sinking in. All I see is a company using Michael's song to promote their product, the end.

Oh, it's definitely the other way around. This phone's sales will undoubtedly not be affected by the use of Slave to the Rhythm. They could easily replace it with Katy Perry's Dark Horse and the sales will be the exact same, whether it be a success or a failure.

No news at all? It's been three weeks ago since we saw that commercial.

More info about the song is needed!

^^ i would have expected something related to Michael by now, considering sony themselves promised ''more news regarding Michael Jackson to come in the following weeks'' don't really see what they're doing tbh. Very Poor.

Seems like they momentum the commercial created is now totally lost...

The announcement about a new album should have come close to the STTR SONY commercial... - Waste of opportunity it seems...

Everyone. This is a television commercial. It has not aired on television yet, and it won't be until Sony begins shipping out the Xperia phones to retailers. The Estate will more than likely release Slave to the Rhythm as the lead single when the commercial is put on television.

Relax.

When people are comparing Pepsi to the STTR commercial are they talking about the most recent Pepsi promotion with the cans etc?

Reason I ask is because it is really different, having his image on a can makes much smaller of an impact than actual music that could actually be on the album.. The phone commercial is in essence similar to a teaser for the album as well.. (without it being an actual commercial or ad for it)

Everyone. This is a television commercial. It has not aired on television yet, and it won't be until Sony begins shipping out the Xperia phones to retailers. The Estate will more than likely release Slave to the Rhythm as the lead single when the commercial is put on television.

Relax.

Do you know it will be on televison or are you guessing? Do you know where? 100 seconds is quite long for a television commercial - will it be edited?

Do you know it will be on televison or are you guessing? Do you know where? 100 seconds is quite long for a television commercial - will it be edited?

It's likely it'll be edited down to 30 seconds.

In Germany they make still advertising for Sony Xperia Z1 in television.

Last edited:

There's no question it will be on TV. But as HIStoric has said, it will undoubtedly be edited. Most TV commercials are a maximum of 30 seconds, so they'll probably cut out the instrumental parts.

You're making a lot of assumptions of late, AlwaysThere. I hope you're not misleading folk.

^^ that's the last thing I would want to do. I'm just offering what I believe to be correct. That STTR commercial was literally put together for television, so why wouldn't it be aired?

^ AlwaysThere, just take it from me.. you always have to protect yourself, and if you leave yourself open expect to get called out for it lol!!

Just toss in a "I'd think", "I would assume", "It's likely"... Something like that!! 2-3 words can save your life here.. haha

if this is connected somewhat to the album release then it's possible that the commercial may air around the time that the slave to the rhythm single is released.. but anything can happen with the estate, we can't guess anything in advance.

I think that STTR will be released on official MJ site, after airing advertisement on tv.

Because at the end of advertisement there is name of the song and adres of official MJ site :)

Sony still promote Z1(today I watched advertisement of it in tv), the Z2 advertisement will be airing AFTER release date :D.

Sorry for my english

^^ that's the last thing I would want to do. I'm just offering what I believe to be correct. That STTR commercial was literally put together for television, so why wouldn't it be aired?

It was 'literally' put together for television? What does that mean?

I see no reason why it couldn't be used in an online capacity only? And didn't they say they created a number of promos? Perhaps only one would be chosen to be used for television?

I'd love to see it on TV.

Back